Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM raises prices 3.5% for 2009 models, launches 0% for 72 months sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 03:05 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM raises prices 3.5% for 2009 models, launches 0% for 72 months sale

GM's "72 Hour Sale" will offer 0 percent interest for 72 months for most Chevrolet and Buick-Pontiac-GMC products. A Chevrolet Silverado is shown.

General Motors told dealers in a teleconference on Monday that it would be launching a 0 percent financing sale starting Tuesday, June 24, while raising prices “across the board” for GM’s 2009 models.

GM executives also told dealers that they plan on making some production shifts and that they hired Citibank to help review the Hummer brand’s future.

Attempting to boost June sales, GM’s Mark LaNeve told dealers in a conference call that GM would be starting what it calls a "72 Hour Sale.” The sale starts June 24 and runs through June 30. LaNeve is GM’s vice president of vehicle sales, service and marketing.

The sale will offer customers 0 percent interest for 72 months for most Chevrolet and Buick-Pontiac-GMC products, GM told dealers for those brands. As of 1 p.m. Eastern, GM had not yet addressed the premium and Saturn dealers.

GM will also offer an additional $500 bonus cash to a customer who purchases a vehicle rather than leasing, say dealers who listened to the conference call.

According to dealers, LaNeve also said that GM would be raising prices on average by 3.5 percent for most 2009 vehicles. Dealers say LaNeve said the price increases would be across the board.

'We all knew' increases were coming
“Some of that is because they’re adding more content, but some of it is because commodities are going up and the dollar is weaker,” says a dealer who listened to the call, but declined to be named. “We all knew price increases were coming.”

Dealers say LaNeve said that GM would be adding a third shift at its plant in Lordstown, Ohio. GM builds the Pontiac G5 and Chevrolet Cobalt compacts at Lordstown. GM will go on maximum overtime at its plants in Orion Township, Michigan, and Kansas City, Kansas. GM builds the Pontiac G6 and the Chevrolet Malibu mid-sized cars at Orion and builds the Malibu and Saturn Aura at Fairfax.

GM will also increase crossover production, dealers say. GM will add 3,500 GMC Acadias and 7,000 Buick Enclaves to the mix by year-end. GM builds those vehicles at the Lansing Delta plant near Lansing, Michigan.

Finally, LaNeve told dealers that GM has hired Citibank to help it complete its study of the Hummer brand. On June 3, GM CEO Rick Wagoner announced that GM is conducting a strategic review of the Hummer brand and is open to “all options” from revamping the product lineup to a partial or complete sale of the brand.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...673241277/1065
Old 06-23-08, 03:24 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Default GM 72-Hour Sale Update: Included Models

Earlier today we heard word that GM would start a sale tomorrow featuring 0% financing for 72 months. The deal will run through June 30, and we’ve just received the list of vehicles included. To be clear, the sale only includes the 2008-model-year vehicles listed below, not 2007 or 2009 vehicles. No hybrid models are included, either. Basically, if you don’t see it below, it’s not included in the sale. There are no real surprises, but check out the list and tell us if you think the sale will help move these vehicles over the next week.

0% APR for up to 72 months on 2008 vehicles including:

* Chevrolet: Suburban, Avalanche, Equinox, Colorado, Tahoe, Silverado, TrailBlazer, Uplander, Impala, HHR
* Buick: Lucerne, Lacrosse
* Pontiac: Torrent, Solstice, G6, Grand Prix
* GMC: Yukon and Yukon XL, Sierra, Envoy and Canyon
* Cadillac: All Escalade models, SRX, STS, DTS
* HUMMER: H2 and H3
* Saab: 9-7X, 9-3 Convertible
* Saturn: Sky, Aura and Vue
Source: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...r-sale-gm.html
Old 06-23-08, 04:35 PM
LexFather

Great, its a sale on pretty much everything I wouldn't buy!!!

Old 06-23-08, 06:05 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

GM is hurting really bad. I'm sure GM will post another loss for 2008 and their stock reached an all time low of $12.75/share today. That's just crazy. Good luck GM...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GM
Old 06-23-08, 06:59 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM is just delaying the inevitable, Toyota will become #1 in America soon.
Old 06-23-08, 07:27 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

darn no Cobalt SS, or anything worthwhile. blah.
Old 06-23-08, 08:12 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 603 Likes on 416 Posts

An excuse to go test drive a Sky Anyone heard anything good about those things?
Old 06-23-08, 08:15 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
An excuse to go test drive a Sky Anyone heard anything good about those things?
Yeah but the Redline is probably not included.
Old 06-27-08, 04:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Yeah but the Redline is probably not included.
I test drove the Redline, first US car I would actually buy, but couldn't fit, I'm 6'2" for get it, my right leg could barely operate the gas pedal, the test drive was brutal, shame. I bet it wasn't include in the sale anyway, like the Corvette would be the only other car I would consider but they always put in fine print on the commercials "Excluding Corvette" so in my mind I'm thinkg "Excluding Buying GM Product".
Old 06-27-08, 05:17 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

GM's stock hit another low today $11.21 per share. This is a very first for GM. At one point their stock was selling a little over $50 per share. This really hurts...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=gm
Old 06-27-08, 09:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

0% interest is a huge money loser for any manufacturer and only places GM's troubles back in the spotlight. The only GM vehicle I would even be interested in is never offered with incentives. Perhaps GM should kill off everything and just make Vettes.

Build them right and they will come. The Vette is a perfect example.

Detroit's calls for help from Washington are gaining some traction, as both Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama this week let auto-industry executives share the spotlight in their presidential campaigns, and suggested they'd lend auto makers a hand.

During a meeting Friday at a General Motors Corp. small-car factory in Lordstown, Ohio, Sen. McCain said he doesn't support a "classic" bailout of the ailing domestic car companies, but he laid out initiatives to help.

"It depends on what you mean by a bailout," he said. "If you're talking about it in the classic terms, I'm afraid not."
Old 06-27-08, 11:53 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 603 Likes on 416 Posts

According to the radio commercial I heard yesterday, the sky redline IS included in the sale
Old 06-28-08, 12:07 AM
LexFather

o% for 72 months is exactly what is wrong with businesses.
1. You don't make any money on 0%
2. If you need 72 months at 0% to pay for A CAR
a-the vehicle price is too damn expensive
b-you are buying out of budget

This sale is a red flag on why some Americans are in the crap hole they are in.

Old 06-28-08, 07:53 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
1. You don't make any money on 0%
not just that, you lose money.

This reminds me of that housing meltdown.
Old 06-28-08, 08:54 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
not just that, you lose money.

This reminds me of that housing meltdown.
Not really. And the reason why leads to my biggest issue with the car industry today. They aren't losing money they just aren't making as much.

WTF are GM and Chrysler doing raising prices?!? You are slapping 3K incentives on the cars and then turning around and offering 0% financing (which may cost you 3K as well) on a car in which you may have 6-10K profit margins. Why don't you make the MSRP realistic? You're not selling cars and you *raise* prices because it's OK you'll offer them back in rebates? WTF?!?!
The car industry needs a reset on prices. Do the car manufacturers really think a higher price with a discount is an easier sell than a much lower price? Wouldn't I react more favorably to a car priced at 28K instead of 35K?

I just don't get it.

Quick Reply: GM raises prices 3.5% for 2009 models, launches 0% for 72 months sale