Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Stations in New Jersey Ripping Off Consumers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 06:48 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Stations in New Jersey Ripping Off Consumers

Some 1000+ gas stations throughout the state of NJ were found to be cheating customers when purchasing gas. Apparently some pumps were rigged to dispense less gas than what you actually paid for. I even heard that some stations were charging you for premium gas but folks were actually getting 87 octane instead. There was a time where I thought I was getting cheated (not in Jersey). It turns out the pump was very slow in dispensing the fuel into my tank. I whipped out my cell phone and started using the calculator on it to make sure the numbers were right and if I was getting what I paid for. I was okay but the pump was very slow and have since been replaced with newer ones. Of course this can happen anywhere and to anybody but spend a minute or too after you pump your gas to see if you got what you paid for.
Old 07-06-08, 03:14 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Some 1000+ gas stations throughout the state of NJ were found to be cheating customers when purchasing gas. Apparently some pumps were rigged to dispense less gas than what you actually paid for. I even heard that some stations were charging you for premium gas but folks were actually getting 87 octane instead. There was a time where I thought I was getting cheated (not in Jersey). It turns out the pump was very slow in dispensing the fuel into my tank. I whipped out my cell phone and started using the calculator on it to make sure the numbers were right and if I was getting what I paid for. I was okay but the pump was very slow and have since been replaced with newer ones. Of course this can happen anywhere and to anybody but spend a minute or too after you pump your gas to see if you got what you paid for.
Yes very true also what about buying gas and the car quit several miles away due to diesel being sold as regular. AHHH not to mention we were then told it was not diesel but water. I asked at my station what the truth was they were pumping diesel into your car but no one got in trouble for this
Now they screw us extra 15 cents and now even heard of 25 cents a gallon for credit card use to cover their costs. What a lie it only cost me about a $1 to take a credit card.
Not to mention I get 15% better gas milage with out of state fuel than the NJ so called fuel.
Old 07-06-08, 03:17 PM
JessePS

honestly gas stations that are found doing this should be destroyed or people should start suing exxon, mobile, shell and god knows who else.
Old 07-06-08, 04:04 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

It's all Bush's fault
Old 07-06-08, 04:26 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silvervett
It's all Bush's fault
Old 07-06-08, 07:52 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn aren't prices high enough already.
Old 07-06-08, 07:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is why I hate Jersey, seriously. A stinky B&T state thats not even a state, just the governments evil plot to collect tolls from New Yorkers traveling to Ikea.
Old 07-09-08, 11:09 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

yea I grew up in NJ, it does suck. You couldn't even pump your own gas back when I was there so it would be easy to pull this bs.

prolly some organzied crime group who run the gas stations.

You can't really sue the big oil co's, those are most likely privatley owned stations, plus whois willing to fight the deep pockets of an oil company lol!
Old 07-09-08, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Gas and diesel pumps, by law (and I don't see where NJ is any different) are calibrated and certified by the State Department of Weights and Measures, and that certification is valid for a certain length of time...stated on the document. First, If you have reason to believe you are being cheated, you can ask to see the certificate......it must be publically displayed or shown upon request. Second, if you know roughly the MPG you should be getting with your vehicle in any given set of driving circumstances (and keep in mind that many factors affect gas mileage), you can compare the amount of gas shown on the pump with (about) what you know should be needing to fill up.
Third, if you STILL think you are being ripped off, many states have a 1-800 Hot Line number to report possible rip-offs. That number usually goes to the Assistant Attorney general's office. That office investigates stations if they get a sufficient number of complaints. There were many such complaints right after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, when gas prices took a huge spike...and drop....in a matter of a few days.
Old 07-09-08, 01:02 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

It's funny you mention that, back in NJ where i live there were two exxon mobil stations within two miles of each other. The one that was farther away from my house had their prices 10-15 cents cheaper than the one closer to my house. Very odd indeed...

After moving to Indiana, i found out that they too had some gas problems of their own. One of my teachers has on his desk a picture of a water jug filled with gas. Looking closer you could see that there were two layers inside. It was gasoline bought at a Marathon gas station that had been severely contaminated with water. After his engine sputtered and died, he found that he had to replace the entire fuel system in his car, costing him about $800. He did all the work himself and then sent the bill to Marathon with extra added on for his labor. They didn't pay for his labor but they did refund him the gas money and all the parts replaced.
Old 07-09-08, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by StiCk3
After moving to Indiana, i found out that they too had some gas problems of their own. One of my teachers has on his desk a picture of a water jug filled with gas. Looking closer you could see that there were two layers inside. It was gasoline bought at a Marathon gas station that had been severely contaminated with water. After his engine sputtered and died, he found that he had to replace the entire fuel system in his car, costing him about $800. He did all the work himself and then sent the bill to Marathon with extra added on for his labor. They didn't pay for his labor but they did refund him the gas money and all the parts replaced.
Marathon is one of those cut-rate brands that I have urged CL readers, MANY times, to avoid. You sometimes save a few cents at the pump, but can pay for it in other ways later on. Other problems with El Cheapo brands are that they often don't have the detergent packages that good name brands do (especially Chevron and Shell, probably the two best) and can cause carbon buildup in the engine and on spark plugs.
Old 07-09-08, 04:03 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also beware that the prices on the large signs can be different from the pump. This happened to me at a Shell station and I didn't notice until after I filled up.
Old 07-09-08, 04:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
and can cause carbon buildup in the engine and on spark plugs.
is that what causes mileage to go down?
Old 07-09-08, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
is that what causes mileage to go down?
It can, if it builds up enough on the spark plugs and oxygen sensor to cause fouling...that could definitely affect the fuel mixture (air-fuel ratio), because the engine computer then gets false signals about the oxygen content of the exhaust and can't properly analyze the firing of the plugs or adjust the fuel injectors. You may or may not get a "CHECK ENGINE" code, depending on how the computer processes the data. It also throws a big load on the catalytic converter because all that extra carbon is flowing through the exhaust and having to be burnt up or converted to normal emissions.

If you use cheap gas, you can prevent some of this from happening by using a good fuel-system cleaner such as BG44K (generally sold only at repair shops, not stores). It just dumps in the fuel tank. But, my reasoning is, if you have to spend money to buy something to undo what cheap gas does, then why not just use better gas in the first place?

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-08 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 11:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
scandal!!! In AZ most people dont realize that with increased temp we are all paying for more gas than what we are getting bec of the heat and the exsoansion. Its been shown to be something like 1-2% , but as prices increase more people are starting to trip out.

Quick Reply: Gas Stations in New Jersey Ripping Off Consumers