Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Linked to Human Trafficking and Sweatshop Abuses

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-08, 05:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not concerned about the slave labor.

when i first read the title of this thread, my biggest concern was how well my car was built. If they're bringing in unskilled slave labor, does that mean that parts of my car are built like crap?
Old 06-21-08, 11:38 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
That is true, but the difference is most Americans actually opposed slave labor, and that was one of the biggest reasons why we had the civil war and freed these slaves almost two centuries ago. And most of these slaves actually had more freedom in the US than they had in Africa, afterall these slaves were sold to Americans by Africans, so they were never free to begin with. Either way, it was a horrible, shameful period in our history, but when it happens in 21st century, there's just no excuse.
Not just in Africa and North America, Slave Labor has been happening ALL OVER the world, since who knows when.

I do not think we should hold people's past actions against the present generation.
Old 06-23-08, 08:46 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a manufacturer and a supplier to multinational companies, i would just say part of it is just business.

Regarding their overworked workers, i think it is just part of their culture.
we have a japanese supplier, part of the Mitsui group, a very large conglomerate company. One day, a batch of their products that was shipped to us had a defect and we complained to them.
I was told that their team pulled in 18-20 hour days for almost a whole week to solve it. Now, what if one of their engineers get sick and died? Is it my fault? Is it my consumers fault? Its just the way business is...

Regarding the chinese laborers working in japanese factories?
Yes, it is true that there are chinese workers working in japanese factories, often for lower wages than the japanese themselves. I've seen them myself and talked to them.
They are often on a 1-2 year contract basis, and usually for that time period, their travel privileges are reduced. Why are travel privileges reduced? This is not saying if your parents died, you cant go back home, but just to simplify immigration agreements, technology transfer agreements, work contracts, etc .
But, this is by no means a slave labor or anything like that.
The Chinese workers are learning how to produce goods to the Japanese standards, and they often transfer important knowledge back to China after their contract has ended.
These Chinese workers are NOT forced to work in Japan. In fact, people in China 'compete' for an opportunity to work and learn in Japan. They are also paid more than what they are paid in China.

So, in the end, the Chinese workers gain knowledge ...and the Japanese also get access to cheaper labor.

People, just face it ... this is just facts of Globalization!