Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

exotic cars you would like to own

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 04:19 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lambo something [nearly any lambo will satisfy this requirement]

mclaren f1, testerossa

veyron
Old 06-19-08, 04:30 PM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

I don't think I'd be interested in a lot of cars normally considered exotics. But...I'll still throw in a couple answers. Oh, you mentioned limited production. Hmm.

My rules are, stands out, and appeals to me. I'm not interested in "performance."

BMW M1 (maybe an exotic--a German / Italian mix? and it was limited)

Ariel Atom (limited by demand, I think, but not exotic exactly)

The above is at the top of my list. If I had more than enough cash, I'd get it now as my only car. Yes, I don't care for performance. But this is kind of an anti-statement. It says, "I spent under $80,000, and I can go against pretty much anything I might ever encounter on the road. And clearly, more than just owning an expensive car, I like to drive. And oh yeah...I'm NUTS."

I go more for cars that aren't performance oriented. I scoff at Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. etc. And most of the smaller sports manufacturers as well. Too much image has taken over. They're all still nice cars. But they're just not unique enough.

I'd lean more toward classic cars because there are so few of any of them around just because they keep dropping in numbers as years go by. It could be almost anything. Like one of the first gen Civics. Yeah.

Otherwise I'd go for a new model, like a Rolls Royce. That's the most expensive new production car I can think of that I'd want. Just below...I dunno. The CLS, and then the LS, which is of course the most practical and possible. But very little of this fits your definition exactly.

Find an M1. Oh and the art cars!!! Wow. I kind of wonder how much those go for.

If you're looking for an investment...you should buy a house. But if you're looking for a car that will hold value for you, find one you like a lot.

I would be interested to see how cars that are coming out now and have come out recently...what of those will hold value? I mean, even major manufacturers now release limited productions of certain things (the Funk-VW or whatever it was called, the orange one, and on the other side, the new Lamborghini). But I think a lot of cars reach their status like artists--only after they've been dead.

When the new NSX comes out, it's going to have a huge old shadow over it. So far, the old one is way better.

Edit: you said used. Ooops...sorry! Definitely the M1. Start looking now. And it's a BMW! I can't think of many used exotics specifically that would be anything like the NSX, because like I said, not my territory. But outside of exotics, a collection of any good condition old and new cars would be good. I love cars.

Last edited by 2010mRXsh; 06-19-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 04:43 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

the CCX... Ferraris and Lamborghinis are a common sight... especially in my neighborhood and in much of Socal... I have actually never seen one in real life... yet i have seen a Buggati Veyrron out on the freeway...

Come to think of it I wonder why my father agreed to have so many kids when he could of bought probably well over a half a million dollars for each of his children whom my mother spoiled lol...
Old 06-19-08, 04:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i forgot one ... cadillac sixteen ... can i put that? it was never produced ... but could have been, they had everything worked out, but the big boss said 'no'
Old 06-19-08, 04:56 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

a Telsa Roadster...0-60 in 3.9 and not have to pay for gas. just plug n play.
Old 06-19-08, 05:24 PM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Add another.

Toyota 2000GT. WOW this car is beautiful. And when people ask what kind of Italian car it is, you can surprise 'em.

Better than the E-Type, and for me better than the 250GTO. But...I swear it also looks like an old Lamborghini...?

And according to the pages I looked at...only twice as much as an NSX (a new NSX, back in the day, that is)
Old 06-19-08, 05:24 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Bugatti Veyron
Old 06-19-08, 05:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Ferrari 430 F1 Spider in yellow with black leather and yellow stitching and yellow calipers and carbon fiber trim and carbon big brakes and a Tubi exhaust.

I'm a gal who knows what she likes.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 06-19-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 05:44 PM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Oops.

Exotic, if you don't live in the US?

Ford GT. A good example of something likely to rise in value, although they had relatively high production numbers. But you can get one right now for "real cheap."
Old 06-19-08, 06:00 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

993 Porsche 911 Turbo:

Old 06-19-08, 06:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

aston martin dbs
posche gt
ferrari 430
enzo ferrari
Old 06-19-08, 07:00 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, how about exotic cars we can afford? The NSX was an example of a low production car that can obtained for very reasonable amounts these days.
Old 06-19-08, 07:28 PM
cynic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Okay, how about exotic cars we can afford? The NSX was an example of a low production car that can obtained for very reasonable amounts these days.
Aren't you assuming a bit much about these people? Maybe they can afford them (the few hundred thousand US dollar cars, which is not much these days), but their priorities lie somewhere else. It also seems many people on these forums are young people with parents to buy them new cars.
Old 06-19-08, 07:48 PM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilverBull
335i+RX350+NSX=? The BMW M1, Ford GT, and the Ariel Atom are all about on the other side of that equal sign...

2 years ago the M1 was going for around $100,000, but that was probably for a pretty good condition one. But, just finding one at all is probably not going to be easy. You never know though, that's why you need to start looking now!

In the case of the Toyota, $200,000 is probably for a really good condition one as well.

I don't know these markets well, but it looks like sometimes, the prices fluctuate by a lot, and sometimes for no reason other than the buyer doesn't care. That's why keeping an eye out isn't a bad idea, so if the suggestions seem at all possible, you should at least look into the cars.

But, what defines these things for you? What's your criteria for exotic? How low of a production? How old can you go? What aren't you interested in? Oh, and what's the price limit for this definition?

I think by definition, any car that's made in low numbers is pretty much going to be an expensive car. The NSX is a rare example of a "super" car where that hasn't yet happened.

But if you're looking for a car under $50,000, it's definitely not going to be easy. I think you can get a Testarossa for about that though, and that might be a relatively high production...but it's still pretty nice.

Add: I'm secretly a BMW freak, I admit. Just out of nowhere...

Z3 Coupe: an awesome look, and as far as I know, not common in America.
Z8: expensive, rare, and a great job on inspiration from the previous model.

You may or may not know, but for many BMW models, a lot were made in special configurations with small production numbers even though they were "regular" models otherwise. That may be of interest.

Last edited by 2010mRXsh; 06-19-08 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 08:45 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TVR Sagaris
Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
Lamborghini LM002
Aston Martin DB9
Audi S8
and a few more.

Quick Reply: exotic cars you would like to own