Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dinan update

Old 06-09-08, 11:30 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dinan update

So I dropped my car off on Friday for a intercooler, oil cooler, exhaust and stage 3 software upgrade. I was pretty pumped up to see the car Saturday or Monday. Well, I got this interesting phone call that ruined it. Basically the Harware on my car is associated with the new 08' 335i's being produced. That means that my car has the new "don't mess with me software package." So in other words Dinan can't flash my car......yet. They and several other tuners are working to crack this tune as I type this. I was told it would be about a month now until it is fixed. The bummer is I have all these upgrades and the car isn't really that much faster since the software upgrade was THE most important feature of the car. So I am left to wait it out and deal with it. I have a nice video of a Dinan 3 taking on a new M3 E92. In the 1/4 mile the M3 barely wins. The suspenion in the M3 gives it a better advantage on a race track overall. So for everyday driving I say the Dinan 3 is the way to go from what I see. Then again I am still awaiting my car to turn into this one.
Old 06-09-08, 11:39 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you talking about the Dinan S1 package? I just read in MLE that they have 4 software engineers crack the "code" and were able to tune the 335i. The newly tuned/modified car produced 384rwhp/421 lb-ft tq. They area already advertising in magazines to bring in 335s.
Old 06-09-08, 12:21 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did they give you a Dinan badge?
Old 06-09-08, 03:12 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

I will be getting a badge but at the moment I don't even have me car yet. They cracked the old code actually. They are working on the new code. The newer hardware/software is meant to keep out piggyback, flashes and tuners. BMW is getting serious about keeping us out of there. Here is the funny thing. Dinan services the cars from a BMW dealer here in town. In fact both BMW dealers install Dinan equipment. However, Dinan is still having issues with "cracking the code." From what I gather, the local dealers are franchised and they are not the same thing as BMW North America. I am not getting the suspension upgrades. I am simply getting the engine upgrade equipment. The suspension equipment does not seem to be worth the money.
Old 06-09-08, 11:42 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
...The suspension equipment does not seem to be worth the money.
In the Dinan 335 vs M3 video you refer to, the Dinan car doesn't look especially impressive in the handling department. The car seems to sort of wallow when changing directions whereas the M3 seems to change directions quickly and cleanly. I can see why you'd pass on Dinan suspension.
Old 06-10-08, 12:01 AM
cynic
Driver School Candidate

Are you only interested in drag racing?...Do you track your car?... Doesn't drag racing get boring and redundant? BTW what your best 1/4 mile time?
Old 06-10-08, 08:26 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

that video is pretty cool, but imagine if it were a modified M3
Old 06-10-08, 09:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
In the Dinan 335 vs M3 video you refer to, the Dinan car doesn't look especially impressive in the handling department. The car seems to sort of wallow when changing directions whereas the M3 seems to change directions quickly and cleanly. I can see why you'd pass on Dinan suspension.
I don't know about the newer Dinan stuff, but my wife's E36 M3 track car when she bought it had a bunch of Dinan suspension parts (front and rear sways, front/rear STB). She found with more research that most of the people who track their BMWs don't at all recommend the Dinan suspension stuff - it's designed more for nimble high speed and highway driving than track flogging ("street tuned" vs "track tuned"). The Dinan sway bars on her car (for example) were smaller diameter than even the OEM BMW M swaybar. She's since replaced all the Dinan stuff except the front STB.

Silverbull, good luck getting the update, hope they crack it soon! Too bad on your particular 335 build.
Old 06-10-08, 10:29 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Your wife rolls in an old M3? That is pretty cool.
Old 06-10-08, 10:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Your wife rolls in an old M3? That is pretty cool.
Yeah, I've got a good catch . M3 is her full-on track car; it's still 'mostly' street legal but is definitely not a street car anymore. She drives the LS430 mainly for DD but has a Porsche 911 for her fun street car. She had an NSX prior to the Porsche.
Old 06-10-08, 10:36 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Sounds like my kind of girl. I am looking for a 91' NSX as well. I think I may wait since I buying a house right now. Those are great cars. Which car did she like more, NSX or 911?
Old 06-10-08, 10:39 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The Dinan sway bars on her car (for example) were smaller diameter than even the OEM BMW M swaybar.
...wow
Old 06-10-08, 10:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Sounds like my kind of girl. I am looking for a 91' NSX as well. I think I may wait since I buying a house right now. Those are great cars. Which car did she like more, NSX or 911?
She wrote this up in 2005
Originally Posted by kristap
Also had an NSX for almost 6 years .... modded it and loved it. (I like my Porsche a lot) Then ... went to Germany for work, rented a 996 and sold my (1996) NSX when I came back.

Loved the grunt from the Porsche and the more modern accrutements like the 6spd & hids. The NSX was reasonably fast, screamed with a Tubi exhaust (I still miss that sound), great ergonomics (great fit & finish with everything at your fingertip) and it was responsive as anything. However, I felt that it was a much edgier car and the Porsche is more relaxing. Felt like I always had to be on my A game when driving the NSX - especially with so many larger cars out there; it kinda freaked me out looking up at a Cavalier next to me at an intersection and forget about suvs. I feel safer in the Porsche. The NSX was bullet-proof: my mechanic changed oil & consumables and added my mods - that's it. My 996 is an 03, I've had it 9mos, and it's been back to the dealer for warranty work (little things like seat coming apart, radio not working, sunroof broken, etc) 2x.
Srry don't mean to take thread off topic, back to Dinan
Old 06-10-08, 11:44 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
... The newly tuned/modified car produced 384rwhp/421 lb-ft tq. They area already advertising in magazines to bring in 335s.
That is actually numbers at the crank, not at the wheels.
Old 06-10-08, 08:28 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

I'm sorry but don't you think those still good numbers even at the crank? This is only a inline-6. I have seen dynos for cars with those engine flashes that are getting 340 rwhp and 375 rwtq. That is just with a software upgrade and no bolt-ons. This car is most definitely capable of getting 400 hp at the wheel with other add-ons like downpipes and stronger piggyback system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dinan update