Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cost of gas, soccer-mom image doom minivans

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 11:07 PM
LexFather

Post Cost of gas, soccer-mom image doom minivans

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25046105/

But even before the economy took its toll, families were migrating away from minivans. U.S. minivan sales peaked at 1.37 million in 2000, 17 years after Chrysler introduced them. They've been falling at a steady rate since then, to 793,335 last year. This year, sales are expected to fall below 650,000 for the first time since 1986.

One reason is the rise of crossovers, which offer similar space but more car-like handling. In March through May of 2004, 12 percent of minivan owners trading in their vehicles bought a crossover. That rose to 26 percent in the same period this year, according to the Power Information Network. Crossovers accounted for just 4 percent of the U.S. market in 2000; they now account for 19 percent.

Another reason for minivans' decline is that some players have left the market. General Motors Corp. will stop making minivans by the end of this year, while Ford Motor Co. quit producing the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey in 2006.

Thormann said Nissan has no plans to exit the market for now, despite a 34 percent drop in sales of the Nissan Quest so far this year. Thormann said that first, Nissan needs to figure out where large SUV buyers are going and whether they will choose to downsize to minivans.

Old 06-08-08, 11:22 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 589 Likes on 407 Posts

Part of the problem is the crappy variety of vans in the US. When I went to Hong Kong for a few weeks the main difference on the road (other than the obvious lack of giant SUVs) was the many types of vans they had. A lot of them look pretty slick too!
Old 06-08-08, 11:36 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know if I could drive mini-van though unless I had a billions little kids running around. 2 is a good set number
Old 06-09-08, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't agree with either the gas arguement or soccer-mom image. A traditional minivan, if you use most or all of the seats without overloading it, is actually a pretty efficient way to transport 6-8 people. Most of them don't have power and mileage-robbing AWD or huge amounts of HP/torque, and do pretty well in the amount of fuel-burned-per-person-carried department. But with standard powerplants, fully loaded, they might not do well in hilly areas....they are better on level ground.

And, as most of you know, I have never bought into the automotive "image" stuff....the idea that certain vehicles should, could, or could not be driven by certain groups of people. IMO that was, is, and will continue to be nonsense. I'll say again what I have always said...there is no reason why someone should not get the vehicle they want, they can afford, and what will best fit their needs, regardless of what neighbors or the auto press think.
Old 06-09-08, 05:53 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a good-sized family, and want to go anywhere, you need a mini-van. Remember, the alternative is a full-sized van (remember those?).
Old 06-09-08, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

And, a little off-topic, what's this with you moderators........open season on farm animals? First it was goats.....now roosters?
Old 06-09-08, 06:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, a little off-topic, what's this with you moderators........open season on farm animals? First it was goats.....now roosters?
Join in on the fun

I saw a new Honda Pilot ad yesterday. The MAIN FEATURE they advertised was its 8 passenger seating.

Old 06-09-08, 07:08 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's sad to minivans are not that popular, honestly they are the most comfortable way of traveling for a family. My Mazda MPV is far more useful as a people hauler than most of these newer SUVs with a third row tacked on.
Old 06-09-08, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Minivans are pretty much being replaced by CUVs.
Old 06-09-08, 08:22 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about replacing our Sienna, but automatic doors, space, 3500 lbs towing... even with two kids, at 22 mpg freeway still makes sense unless someone can find me the same at 26+ mpg... the Veracruz (here I go on the Hyundai kick again) is pretty impessive and makes 26 mpg freeway... CRV doesn't have the horses, RAV4 too small, Highlander too much $$$.... guess it's a crap shoot.... however, if minivans' resales decline, I will bail out...
Old 06-09-08, 09:20 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But 1 thing I thought of... about fuel economy...
it's only beneficial to have a mini-van WHEN you have full load/more passengers then 5... other wise if you usually drive around with 2/3 people, might as well get a small sedan?

Though I'd be hitting myself as I drive around myself in a GS. :P
Old 06-09-08, 09:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't agree with either the gas arguement or soccer-mom image. A traditional minivan, if you use most or all of the seats without overloading it, is actually a pretty efficient way to transport 6-8 people. Most of them don't have power and mileage-robbing AWD or huge amounts of HP/torque, and do pretty well in the amount of fuel-burned-per-person-carried department. But with standard powerplants, fully loaded, they might not do well in hilly areas....they are better on level ground.

And, as most of you know, I have never bought into the automotive "image" stuff....the idea that certain vehicles should, could, or could not be driven by certain groups of people. IMO that was, is, and will continue to be nonsense. I'll say again what I have always said...there is no reason why someone should not get the vehicle they want, they can afford, and what will best fit their needs, regardless of what neighbors or the auto press think.

It's not an argument based in logic, though. My wife and I had this exact discussion over the weekend. I asked her: Do you really think, as you drive around in your Honda Pilot, that you have LESS of a suburban soccer-mom image?
Old 06-09-08, 05:11 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's not an argument based in logic, though. My wife and I had this exact discussion over the weekend. I asked her: Do you really think, as you drive around in your Honda Pilot, that you have LESS of a suburban soccer-mom image?
I don't understand these "image" thing also. Granted my GX drove nice when I had it, but it's not all convenient when it came to the minivan.
Plus, just because having a minivan doesn't mean you have to occupy all other 7 seats ALL the time when you're on the road.
When the weekends came, we load up the kids, the family, and the other cargos in the trunk and head out to the beach...

Heck, a couple is married with kids. Who are we to go and attract the opposite sex anyways???
Do I need to look cool with a baby seat and impress the blond next to me???

For the record, I make my wife drive the minivan
Old 06-09-08, 05:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the sales numbers justify the msnbc article but I am actually a little surprised. My very, very informal and unscientific survey of the vehicle type around here is that minivans are starting to become more prevalent in NoCal. If I had to guess it is that they get better mileage than the equivalent SUV/CUV with better utility. I don't mind being an unabashed fan of minivans. I wouldn't buy one or let my sister buy one but that's just me. Oops, must have been the goat talking.

Seriously, I had to haul some things to a relatives and tried to rent a Magnum but the best I could do was a Dodge minivan. A van is about utility, and the modern minivan is a very good product in that respect. The foldable seats for the Dodge are extremely easy to use. And, God forgive me, the power sliding doors are something you could get used to. After using them, it makes anyone with a typical spute with the car like opening doors look pretty foolish. If there is one major distinguising feature for me on the minivan it is those side sliding doors that really distinguish it from the sputes of all flavors.

And no, it isn't a bimmer or even a lexus but it was not as awful as the first gen minivans. To get the utility of the minivan, there are some tradeoffs. Having the CoG about a meter above the roof is one of them. But they have remarkable utility. I suspect that if it weren't for the young males who are not daddies deciding that theirs really will be smaller than the next guys if they get a mini van, these things would sell quite a bit better. I find them easier to get in and out of than sputes as well. A business associate has a Sienna and it is a lot easier to get in and out of than a friends Navigator.

Having said all this, and read most of the other posts, I have this feeling that the car/spute/van map is going to get redrawn in the coming years and we don't have a very good idea what it is going to look like other than saying bye bye to a lot of hp.
Old 06-09-08, 09:03 PM
LexFather

"Image is everything"
I've said that since I joined here and got blasted for it several times. Its the truth. In utopia, image doesn't matter of to 2% of the buying public.

Vans just are not "cool", especially compared to SUVs that can now seat 7/8 passengers.

Quick Reply: Cost of gas, soccer-mom image doom minivans