Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadddy 209 XLR REfresh

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Post Cadddy 209 XLR REfresh

Detroit, Mich. - Since its inception in 2004, Cadillac's XLR has been a fresh face in the elite club of the world's finest luxury roadsters. Today Cadillac revealed the new 2009 edition of the XLR Roadster, featuring styling and model enhancements providing more dramatic design and technology.

Only the finest editions of Cadillac's retractable hardtop roadster will be offered in 2009: The luxurious XLR Platinum and the high-performance XLR-V. The XLR Platinum is equipped with a 320-horsepower (239 kW) 4.6L Northstar V-8 engine. The XLR-V, part of Cadillac's V-Series of high-performance models, is powered with a 443-horsepower (330 kW) 4.4L Supercharged Northstar V-8 engine.

The 2009 XLR includes a new front fascia, new rear fascia and new side fender vents. The revised design is inspired by the award-winning CTS sport sedan, delivering more detail and aggressiveness to Cadillac's roadster. The front fascia includes new fog lamps and specific upper and lower grilles for the Platinum and V-Series models. Also, both '09 models feature the distinctive hood with a raised center section that was previously exclusive to the V-Series.
"XLR has been a catalyst for the dramatic design and technology driving Cadillac's ongoing renaissance," said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. "The enhanced 2009 model exemplifies the continued development of Cadillac's approach to design, performance and craftsmanship."

The ultra-luxury XLR Platinum model receives additional exterior identifiers, including a revised rear fascia with more pronounced new exhaust tips and a new 18-inch wheel design (painted wheel finish is standard; chrome is optional).

Inside, the '09 XLR lineup delivers more luxury and technology. Alcantara(tm) - a suede-like microfiber material - is used for the headliner material, in either Ebony or Cashmere color. Also new is hand-cut and sewn leather used on the upper instrument panel. This hand-stitched and wrapped leather lends tailored elegance to the cabin, representing Cadillac's new approach to modern and elegant interior craftsmanship.

The updated cabin includes new instrument cluster trim rings and graphics, new wood grain trims (Natural Olive Ash Burl for XLR Platinum and Black Olive Ash Burl for XLR-V) and new metal trims (Quartz for XLR Platinum and Bermuda for XLR-V.)

Advanced technology has always been a trademark of XLR, and that legacy continues in 2009. This includes Cadillac's acclaimed Magnetic Ride Control system and amenities such as Keyless Access with push-button start, DVD navigation and entertainment, heated and cooled seats, head-up display and heated steering wheel. XLR's advanced technologies also include Adaptive Forward Lighting that enables the headlamps to swivel in concert with vehicle steering, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

XLR is factory-equipped with OnStar 8.0 with Bluetooth capability. The next-generation OnStar 8.0 system (OnStar subscription is not required for Bluetooth) features enhanced hands-free voice commands, Turn by Turn navigation and Emap powered by MapQuest. This includes the industry-first Destination Download feature, in which directions can be downloaded from OnStar directly to the car's navigation system - eliminating the need to stop the car to manually enter a destination.

Old 06-06-08, 08:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought Caddy was gonna discontinue it?
Old 06-06-08, 09:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The XLR is an excellent concept... take the Vette's excellent chassis and make a higher end cruiser out of it.

However I think the execution was poor.

The Northstar just isn't good enough of an engine to bother with... they should have just stuck with the LS2 or LS7 or now the LS3 or LS9.

The interior is also NOT up to par with the cars it intends to compete with. If they did a CTS-style refresh to the interior and stuck an LSx motor in there it'd be a great car.
Old 06-06-08, 11:30 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope those side vents do something ...
Old 06-06-08, 12:37 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I still don't like it...
Old 06-06-08, 01:59 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I will pass yet again. Wasn't a huge fan of the orginial and now not the refresh either.
Old 06-06-08, 05:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks the same to me...
Old 06-06-08, 05:42 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I do not like it... it doesn't look that sporty...
Old 06-06-08, 06:34 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

The side vents look straight up Saturn Vue.
Old 06-06-08, 07:18 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've always thought that Cadillac engineers all gathered around an SC430 and said "OK, we need to make a retractable hard-top convertible...and we need to go out of our way to make it NOT look like that".

Everywhere where the SC430 is rounded...the XLR is angular. I'm surprised they didn't put squared-off wheel arches on it a-la the FJ cruiser.

The interior also has never wow'd me. For $90K, I need some "wow".
Old 06-06-08, 10:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
For $90K, I need some "wow".
Not bad compared to their ugly allante

I still wouldn't buy one if it's $50k
Old 06-06-08, 10:43 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I still wouldn't buy one if it's $50k
You couldn't in a million years buy a new XLR for $50k. And I'm not sure I would buy one at that price either.

As for the refresh, they could have done a better job than that
Old 06-07-08, 06:47 AM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

It looks softer
Old 06-07-08, 11:16 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

This car looks so incredibly dated
Old 06-09-08, 12:15 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
This car looks so incredibly dated
I was about to say that.

They need the Vette engine and the vettes Wheels. Those skinny wheels dont do it any justice.

Quick Reply: Cadddy 209 XLR REfresh