Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 11:37 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front end looks cheap, resembles a mainstream generic japanese car. To be fair, the LS460 is pretty generic looking too. The interior looks jaguarish(don't like it). Overall, it's a very nice unoffending looking car. Hope the structure isn't as flimsy as the Sonata. Either way, Hyundai still need to stop following and start leading. There is more than one way to look and feel luxury. Time to show the world a better way.
Old 05-28-08, 11:57 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inifiniti M class change the game?

I don't think so.

the Infiniti G35 definitely was a big shocker to the Germans, and even Lexus since the IS300 wasn't that big of a deal to the rest of the competition.

I'm not going to dismiss the amazing progress Infiniti has made from making lame Maxima rebrands and an unknown large sedan--now they're a force to be recognized in the compact sport sedan market. Unfortunately for all you folks parading the Infiniti flag like it was the market's messiah, it just isn't so.

As mentioned, Infiniti lacks a real flagship. Their QX is an unreliable mess. The FX has turned into a giant Catfish. The Q45 is the official supplier of HID projectors for modders. The M35/45 did well with good reviews in the beginning of its launch--but now nobody cares since Jag brought out the XF.

Motor Trend has been doing a mid-size sport sedan comparison for few years running. Last year it included the BMW 545i, MB E500, Lexus GS430, and the Infiniti M45. This year, it was the Jaguar XF, BMW 550i, MB E550, and the Lexus GS460. Infiniti change the game?

NOW. About the Genesis.

I know what previous offerings from Hyundai are like. I grew up with them in Korea. They totally sucked, in every way. Since the release of the current Sonata, Hyundai has made it clear they're not here to joke around--and the Genesis is their finale to this statement, and the new beginnings for Hyundai. Honestly, brand/name image aside, purely from a numbers standpoint; who WOULDN'T buy the V8 genesis? Assuming that the V8 model will have a base MSRP of around $40K, for that money you're looking at 6-cylinder cars barely topping 300 horsepower from other companies, not to mention terribly smaller and less equipped. Even if we take brand image into consideration now--the value appeal of the car is just ridiculous. Here in ClubLexus we talk luxury cars and cars that can be cross-shopped/compete with Lexus. Obviously. But if we take out the chunk of the market that don't buy into big brands/names JUST BECAUSE, there are millions of consumers out there who shop cars for what it is--various forms of transportation. Hyundai knows with their crazy 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and the REAL value their cars now offer, they cannot be dismissed as a maker just struggling to survive.

If anything, it's not 1SICK that's not seeing the progress of Infiniti--it's everyone else defending Infiniti that's not seeing the progress of Hyundai.
Old 05-28-08, 12:33 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the front of the car, but I totally dislike the rear it doesn't work well I find.

I still want to congratulate Hyundai on their achievement in the past 16+ years. Coming from a ****-box cars to some really nice machines

I can't wait to see what else they will come up with.
Old 05-28-08, 01:58 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Is it just me or does the leather in the interior of the Genesis look cheap? In every single photo I've seen so far, the leather looks old, worn, and thin. These are the best photos that Hyundai could put out, yet the interior already looks old and dried out. How is it going to look after 5 years of ownership?
Old 05-28-08, 02:26 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

HYUNDAI ANNOUNCES ALL-NEW FLAGSHIP GENESIS SEDAN PRICING

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CALIF., 05/28/2008 Hyundai Motor America has announced prices for its new flagship, the all-new Genesis sports sedan, starting at $33,000 for a well-equipped 290-horsepower V6 and $38,000 for the 375-horsepower V8 model.

“When we first showed the production Genesis earlier this year, we committed to deliver the interior package of flagship European luxury sedans, world-class driving dynamics, and pricing comparable to entry-level premium brand vehicles,” said John Krafcik, vice president, product development and strategic planning, Hyundai Motor America “Today, we’re delivering on a key part of that commitment, with a very well-equipped Genesis sedan priced below the most basic Infiniti G35 or BMW 3-Series.”

While Genesis will compete for customers with cars like Lexus ES, Chrysler 300 and Cadillac CTS, Genesis’ performance capabilities and luxury features are comparable to sedans costing tens of thousands of dollars more. With base prices of $33,000 for a well-equipped 3.8-liter V6, and $38,000 for a 4.6-liter V8, Genesis makes a premium driving experience accessible to a wide range of customers. Genesis goes on sale at Hyundai dealerships in July, delivering the kind of value equation American car buyers have come to expect from Hyundai.

2009 Genesis Manufacturers Suggested Retail Pricing:

Model

Engine

Package

Transmission

MSRP

Genesis 3.8

3.8L V6

Standard Equipment

Aisin Six-Speed A/T

$33,000

Genesis 4.6

4.6L V8

Standard Equipment

ZF Six-Speed A/T

$38,000

$750 freight charge included

Genesis is built on Hyundai’s all-new, performance-driven rear-wheel-drive architecture, with an advanced five-link suspension at all four corners. It offers two powertrains, the 290-horsepower Lambda 3.8-liter V6 engine mated to an Aisin six-speed automatic transmission, and Hyundai’s all-new Tau 4.6-liter V8 engine mated to a ZF six-speed automatic transmission. Both deliver outstanding fuel economy. The Tau produces 375 horsepower using premium fuel and 368 horsepower using regular unleaded, leading all competitors in specific output (horsepower per liter), while also outperforming all V8 performance sedans with a projected fuel economy estimate of 17 city/25 highway. Genesis 3.8 achieves EPA fuel economy estimates of 18 city/27 highway, which outperforms the V6 engines in many smaller, mid-size cars (e.g., Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion) on the highway. With technology rivaling more expensive luxury sedans, Genesis showcases features such as XM NavTraffic, Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFLS), Lexicon® audio systems and electronic active head restraints.

Genesis 3.8 – Standard Equipment

All Genesis 3.8 models come very well-equipped, including a 3.8-liter DOHC V6 engine, Aisin six-speed automatic transmission with ShiftronicTM, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with traction control, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and 17-inch alloy wheels with P225/55R17 tires. Additional standard equipment includes advanced front airbags, front and rear seat-mounted side airbags, roof-mounted side curtain airbags, electronic front head restraints, fog lamps, automatic headlights, dual power heated side mirrors with turn signal indicators, leather seating surfaces with heated front seats, power seats, cruise control, Hyundai’s signature white and blue interior lighting with electroluminescent cluster, proximity entry with electric push button start, leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel with audio controls, dual front fully automatic HVAC, electrochromic auto-dimming interior rearview mirror with Homelink and compass, AM/FM/CD/MP3/XM (3-month subscription) with iPod/USB and auxiliary input jacks, Bluetooth and floor mats.

Genesis 4.6 – Standard Equipment

The Genesis 4.6 builds on the standard equipment found on the Genesis 3.8, adding a 4.6-liter DOHC V8, ZF six-speed automatic transmission, unique 18-inch hyper-silver alloy wheels with P235/50R18-inch tires, chrome lower bodyside moldings, ultra-premium leather seating surfaces, leather-wrapped dash and door trim inserts, power glass sunroof with tilt and slide, power tilt and telescopic steering column, integrated memory system, Lexicon 15-speaker surround sound audio system, six-disc CD changer, illuminated scuff plates, wood-trimmed leather steering wheel, electrochromic auto-dimming interior rearview mirror with Homelink and compass, power rear sunshade and rain-sensing wipers with auto defogger windshield.

http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...is/Pricing.asp
Old 05-28-08, 02:30 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

17/25 epa for the V8 is really impressive. 18/27 epa for the V6 is pretty good too.
Old 05-28-08, 02:47 PM
Ltuned1200
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy101
17/25 epa for the V8 is really impressive. 18/27 epa for the V6 is pretty good too.
Not far off the 20/22 city highway LS600 hybrid
Old 05-28-08, 03:05 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

$33,000 for a 290hp Hyundai?

Good luck with that one, Hyundai. I won't even comment on the ludicrous 38k+ price of the V8 version. This car is going to bomb big time
Old 05-28-08, 03:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I really like the front of the car, but I totally dislike the rear it doesn't work well I find.

yeah
the rear looks off. i liked the prototype better.

like the dude above said... $33000 starting price, with no leather.
that's pushing it. but i expect them to discount heavily.

most consumers won't care for or tell the difference between rwd vs fwd. the V6 is the same price as the lexus ES, and you don't get free pastries or nice loaner cars with that, or status.

the genesis has more room inside, but anyone can do that with a little more steel.
having 2 inches of free knee space vs having 5 inches of knee space makes no difference as long as my knees aren't slammed against the front seats.
Old 05-28-08, 04:08 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who's gonna be the first to bippu this thing out? I can't wait to see that.
Old 05-28-08, 04:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
$33,000 for a 290hp Hyundai?

Good luck with that one, Hyundai. I won't even comment on the ludicrous 38k+ price of the V8 version. This car is going to bomb big time
Did you read the long term test on the C&D Altima this month? It was 32k loaded. It has 20 less HP than the Genesis. They still hate the interior and the car had torque steer galore.

Very good pricing, IMO.

How is 38k ludicrous? It has more power than every V-8 from the Germans and Japanese in the mid size class.

The ONLY thing this car is missing is the badge.

I fear that people will pass on it like the Phaeton and Q45. This is a tough economy right now

Old 05-28-08, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by whoster
Inifiniti M class change the game?

I don't think so.

the Infiniti G35 definitely was a big shocker to the Germans, and even Lexus since the IS300 wasn't that big of a deal to the rest of the competition.

I'm not going to dismiss the amazing progress Infiniti has made from making lame Maxima rebrands and an unknown large sedan--now they're a force to be recognized in the compact sport sedan market. Unfortunately for all you folks parading the Infiniti flag like it was the market's messiah, it just isn't so.

As mentioned, Infiniti lacks a real flagship. Their QX is an unreliable mess. The FX has turned into a giant Catfish. The Q45 is the official supplier of HID projectors for modders. The M35/45 did well with good reviews in the beginning of its launch--but now nobody cares since Jag brought out the XF.

Motor Trend has been doing a mid-size sport sedan comparison for few years running. Last year it included the BMW 545i, MB E500, Lexus GS430, and the Infiniti M45. This year, it was the Jaguar XF, BMW 550i, MB E550, and the Lexus GS460. Infiniti change the game?

NOW. About the Genesis.

I know what previous offerings from Hyundai are like. I grew up with them in Korea. They totally sucked, in every way. Since the release of the current Sonata, Hyundai has made it clear they're not here to joke around--and the Genesis is their finale to this statement, and the new beginnings for Hyundai. Honestly, brand/name image aside, purely from a numbers standpoint; who WOULDN'T buy the V8 genesis? Assuming that the V8 model will have a base MSRP of around $40K, for that money you're looking at 6-cylinder cars barely topping 300 horsepower from other companies, not to mention terribly smaller and less equipped. Even if we take brand image into consideration now--the value appeal of the car is just ridiculous. Here in ClubLexus we talk luxury cars and cars that can be cross-shopped/compete with Lexus. Obviously. But if we take out the chunk of the market that don't buy into big brands/names JUST BECAUSE, there are millions of consumers out there who shop cars for what it is--various forms of transportation. Hyundai knows with their crazy 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and the REAL value their cars now offer, they cannot be dismissed as a maker just struggling to survive.

If anything, it's not 1SICK that's not seeing the progress of Infiniti--it's everyone else defending Infiniti that's not seeing the progress of Hyundai.

That was beautiful. I ignored that post b/c it was so full of holes I didn't even want to respond. You said it perfectly, I mean you hit the nail on the head!!!

Old 05-28-08, 05:03 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Did you read the long term test on the C&D Altima this month? It was 32k loaded. It has 20 less HP than the Genesis. They still hate the interior and the car had torque steer galore.
#1 - Nissan is an established brand and the Altima is an established model
#2 - $32k loaded is much different than $33k starting. How much will a loaded V6 Genesis cost? $36k? $37k?
#3 - see #1 and #2

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Very good pricing, IMO.

How is 38k ludicrous? It has more power than every V-8 from the Germans and Japanese in the mid size class.

The ONLY thing this car is missing is the badge.
Well according to your statements in other threads, badge is very very important in this class. I recall you stating on several occasions that people buy BMW simply on badge alone and buyers in this price point care more about brand prestige than the merits of each car.

So, going by your logic, $38 is ludicrous for a "Hyundai". And that's just the starting price. What about a loaded Genesis? Who in their right mind is going to pick a loaded 40k+ Hyundai over a G35, ES350, 3 Series, or C Class?
Old 05-28-08, 05:04 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

OK guys, I need some help here. Why has the Hyundai Genesis generated so much ill will from people who haven't even seen the thing yet? Maybe it will be great. Maybe it won't. But is it that much of a threat to automotive civilization that people have to decide to hate it without even seeing or driving it?

I'm a consumer. Choice is good. And if someone has a sharper pencil or just plain old wants to buy market share (sound like anyone we might know if you are old enough?) I say more power to them. Just got back from Costco where there was a new XF parked in front. Two things - sales of the XF must have worked through that backlog pretty quick to be in front of Costco and second, I really don't like the looks of it. I think the Genesis is much better looking and at a lot more attractive price point. I truly want Hyundai to succeed, we all win.
Old 05-28-08, 05:14 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
OK guys, I need some help here. Why has the Hyundai Genesis generated so much ill will from people who haven't even seen the thing yet? Maybe it will be great. Maybe it won't. But is it that much of a threat to automotive civilization that people have to decide to hate it without even seeing or driving it?

I'm a consumer. Choice is good. And if someone has a sharper pencil or just plain old wants to buy market share (sound like anyone we might know if you are old enough?) I say more power to them. Just got back from Costco where there was a new XF parked in front. Two things - sales of the XF must have worked through that backlog pretty quick to be in front of Costco and second, I really don't like the looks of it. I think the Genesis is much better looking and at a lot more attractive price point. I truly want Hyundai to succeed, we all win.
Some (not you particularly) always like to suggest that luxury cars need to be sold under luxury brands. However, the Genesis, which is priced like a luxury car is being sold by an economy brand. How is that acceptable for Hyundai yet no one thinks its acceptable for any of the other economy brands to do the same?

If Hyundai was serious about entering the luxury car market, they should have established a luxury division. IMO, this is a half hearted attempt to try to take away sales from Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, & even Benz. It will not work in this country. They could have started up a new brand (hell, call the brand "Genesis") and have 2 models to start with (the sedan and the coupe). Sell them along side existing Hyundai dealerships and take it from there.

If this vehicle flops, it may hurt Hyundai's chances of ever entering the luxury market again. Acura can't even give away the RL. How is Hyundai going to be successful at selling a 35-40k+ plus luxury car?

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis