Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Old 06-02-08, 03:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
the largest middle class growth is occurring in China... and they prefer designer brands and the big names... I doubt most would turn to Hyundai
I would have never thought, this has to be the reason why Buick does so well in China. Hyundai trying to get Chinese status seekers with the Genesis - that will work about as well as it will here. What brand you purchase depends on a lot of things. Don't be so certain that if Hyundai provides a competitive vehicle at a cut rate price that they don't do better in places like China than fishing for people who value badge most of all.

Didn't look long enough to get more current data.

Auto makers show soaring China sales in 2007
Automotive

11 January 2008

Volkswagen continued to lead all auto companies in passenger car sales in China in 2007, the Wall Street Journal reported. Volkswagen's car sales rose 28% from the previous year to reach 910,941 units. Japan's Toyota posted 62% sales growth to take second place with 499,000 units. General Motors remains China's largest auto manufacturer overall, announcing record sales of 1.03 million vehicles (a figure that includes trucks and buses as well as passenger cars) across its several joint ventures. A December report by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers said sales of China-made passenger cars grew by 21% in 2007.
Old 06-02-08, 08:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

FYI, Hyundai is struggling greatly in the booming Chinese market right now. I doubt the Genesis will do much to change that.
Old 06-03-08, 01:45 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If the Genesis sells only 1500 a month, that would equate to only 18,000 a year. Even if that is Hyundai's internal goal, it's largely irrelevant as sales numbers like that will mean the Genesis is a market failure.
I think if they can sell 1,500 a month, the Genesis would be considered a success. Considering the base price starts as high or higher than established models from established luxury brands, 1,500 units/month would be an outstanding start for them.

My guess though is that it'll end up being less than 500 units/month. I just don't think a 33k+ Hyundai is going to catch on here in the U.S. But we'll see..
Old 06-03-08, 01:58 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Is it just me or does the leather in the interior of the Genesis look cheap? In every single photo I've seen so far, the leather looks old, worn, and thin. These are the best photos that Hyundai could put out, yet the interior already looks old and dried out. How is it going to look after 5 years of ownership?

interior looks like the current hyundai touranta fe ..nice on photos..crap in real life

edit: a fully loaded euro santa fe can cost well over 45k ..still junk

can someone please go touch (feel the sheet metal) on one of these and report back.

Edit: hyundai has high customer retention values because the customers wont get a decent trade in value for their hyundais elsewhere.. a viscous cycle if you ask me.

Last edited by Raph TT; 06-03-08 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-03-08, 02:55 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Man! You are really suffering from a severe case of Hyundai Excel-itis. Wake up! Hyundai is NOT the same car company it was in 1986. The Genesis is overpriced? LOL!!!
I'll ask this question again, which you can't seem to answer.
ready?
Here goes.

What full size sedan offers more than what the Genesis does for less $$?
Also, describe for me what you think *value* means because, honestly, I don't think you have a clue.

and what is so great about getting the most "stuff" for the least amount of "money"? that my friend is the Big Mac way of thinking.. do you always get the supersized deal? is it better because theres MORE for LESS?

Do you always get the ALL YOU CAN EAT buffet when you go out?? hmm..wonder why its soo cheap?

No Company is giving stuff away for free..

Time will tell,i see hyundai using cheap chinese recylcled steel on this car too..

Are those new Chinese car brands selling like hot cakes? no.. even though they are fully loaded and cost a third of that what the competition costs..
Old 06-03-08, 03:02 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now you're comparing those Chinese cars who can't even pass a crash test to Hyundai cars which do pass and do WELL on those crash tests?

wow.
Old 06-03-08, 04:21 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

hey,its made of the same cheap recycled steel japanese car makers stopped doing that in 1984.

Go buy a hyundai..hell go to a dealer..open the hood and start looking around under there..see the rusty clamps..see the bolts that they paint black becuase galvanizing the bolts would be too expensive?.. korean car makers do that..open a door and sit inside..see rthe crappy stitching on the leather..do you smell that funny smell.. glue,plastic and cheap materials fill your nose..
look at those lug nuts..look how they are showing first signs of surface rust..

step back and admire the paint.. wtf..that doesnt look right.. you look around and notice all cars have a very thin clear coat.. pop the trunk and see where the didnt paint the jambs..

now think about all that what you saw, see all that that i see every day..

you continue to snoop around,a tibby driver rolls on the lot,he ebnergetically jumps out,runs to the service department,he returns accompained by an employee..he pops the hood only to display a rusty edge on the backside of his hood..hmm this is an 06 car.. you decide to get a sneak peek of the interior..the leather looks more cracked up than that of a 45 year old ferrari..

go in the service department.. look under a car..what,a 1 year old car with rusty edges on all of the subrame..
Old 06-03-08, 04:26 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raph TT
hey,its made of the same cheap recycled steel japanese car makers stopped doing that in 1984.

Go buy a hyundai..hell go to a dealer..open the hood and start looking around under there..see the rusty clamps..see the bolts that they paint black becuase galvanizing the bolts would be too expensive?.. korean car makers do that..open a door and sit inside..see rthe crappy stitching on the leather..do you smell that funny smell.. glue,plastic and cheap materials fill your nose..

step back and admire the paint.. wtf..that doesnt look right.. you look around and notice all cars have a very thin clear coat.. pop the trunk and see where the didnt paint the jambs..

you continue to snoop around,a tibby driver rolls on the lot,he ebnergetically jumps out,runs to the service department,he returns accompained by an employee..he pops the hood only to display a rusty edge on the backside of his hood..hmm this is an 06 car.. you decide to get a sneak peek of the interior..the leather looks more cracked up than that of a 45 year old ferrari..

go in the service department.. look under a car..what,a 1 year old car with rusty edges on all of the subrame..
Oh, I get it!!! You're talking about the Chevy Malibu! LOL
Old 06-03-08, 04:30 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Oh, I get it!!! You're talking about the Chevy Malibu! LOL

hyundai kia daewoo chevrolet .. basically all the same cheap built crap

and the azera (as yous call it) is called the grandeur over here..havent noticed a quality difference to the crappy sonata..

there is a big difference between value for money and just plain cheap.
Old 06-04-08, 02:17 PM
raw6464
Driver School Candidate

I don't know where your snooping but I own both and ES330 and a Hynudai Azera. There are no rusty bolts under the hood, the leather is not cracking or crappy stiching.

For the 08 Azera Limited I paid $26.8K with every option available... with more options than available on an ES... including a DVR navigation system and 12 speaker 600watt Infinity stereo. 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and road side assitance and 10 year 100K miles on the power train. I don't have any of the faults you express.

An equivalent equipped ES was quoted to me at a little over $39K. That's over $12,000 more than the Azera.

The ONLY down side I have is the soft too cushy ride. But the ride is not $12000 worse than an ES!

I'm not snooty enough to pay another 12 grand just to have a "luxury brand" in my driveway.

This reminds me of the same trash talking when the Japs came to town. Wait till China starts importing.
Old 06-04-08, 05:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by raw6464
I don't know where your snooping but I own both and ES330 and a Hynudai Azera. There are no rusty bolts under the hood, the leather is not cracking or crappy stiching.

For the 08 Azera Limited I paid $26.8K with every option available... with more options than available on an ES... including a DVR navigation system and 12 speaker 600watt Infinity stereo. 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and road side assitance and 10 year 100K miles on the power train. I don't have any of the faults you express.

An equivalent equipped ES was quoted to me at a little over $39K. That's over $12,000 more than the Azera.

The ONLY down side I have is the soft too cushy ride. But the ride is not $12000 worse than an ES!

I'm not snooty enough to pay another 12 grand just to have a "luxury brand" in my driveway.

This reminds me of the same trash talking when the Japs came to town. Wait till China starts importing.
you do realize he works for hyundai dealer in Europe? ;-).
Old 06-04-08, 05:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

hyundai kia daewoo chevrolet .. basically all the same cheap built crap

and the azera (as yous call it) is called the grandeur over here..havent noticed a quality difference to the crappy sonata..

there is a big difference between value for money and just plain cheap.
i find it interesting to see all hyundai dealers think alike

:P