Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 09:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009

Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009

Posted on 01/14/2008

Acura will introduce the new i-DTEC clean diesel engine to the North American market in 2009. The i-DTEC engine reduces noxious exhaust emissions while boosting power and fuel efficiency. A combination of optimized combustion chamber design and reduced injection time results in a clean, quiet engine that delivers excellent performance for an enjoyable driving experience. In addition, the i-DTEC engine meets the ultra-stringent U.S. EPA Tier II Bin 5 emission standards without the on-board storage of urea.

The i-DTEC clean diesel engine is on display exclusively in the Acura booth at the North American International Auto Show and will be utilized in an Acura vehicle to be named at a later date.

Source: Acura
http://www.automotoportal.com/articl...engine-in-2009
Old 01-14-08, 09:50 PM
LexFather

U beat me to it!

Old 01-14-08, 10:05 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine kids in like 10 years all saying "DTEC kicked in yo!"
Old 01-14-08, 10:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
Imagine kids in like 10 years all saying "DTEC kicked in yo!"
lol...well at least they will finally have an engine with some torque!

Old 01-15-08, 07:41 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Profitable

Honda CEO Says Clean Diesel Cars will be Profitable
Reuters | Monday, 14 January 2008

The head of Honda said that the Japanese automaker's yet-to-be released clean diesel cars will be profitable immediately, unlike expensive gasoline-electric hybrid cars that still yield little or no profit after a decade on the market.

"Our diesel cars are going to have an appropriate level of profit from the start," chief executive Takeo Fukui told a small group of reporters in an interview at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

He said Honda's clean diesel cars, to be launched in the United States next year, will not require a urea tank as most European systems do.

The use of aluminum in the cylinder block instead of steel would also allow it to manufacture the engines using its existing gasoline engine facilities, keeping initial investments down, Fukui added.

Honda's new diesel drive train generates and stores ammonia within a two-layer catalytic converter to turn nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen.

The new system will clear the same emissions regulations as gasoline in the United States, Fukui said.

Japan's second-biggest automaker is set to announce later this afternoon the launch of its first ultra-clean diesel car in the United States in 2009, as planned.

Honda's premium Acura brand will be the first to get the four-cylinder diesel engine, Fukui said. Models fueled by V6 diesel engines will follow after 2010, he added.

Diesel cars now make up more than half of Europe's new cars but have a poor image among consumers in the United States, as well as Japan, as being both loud and dirty.

But Fukui said he expected Honda's sale of four-cylinder diesel cars to reach about 150,000 vehicles globally by around 2010 with the planned roll-out in the United States and Japan.

Honda now sells more than 100,000 diesel cars a year, all in Europe.

Honda is also due to begin selling low-cost hybrid cars in 2009. Half of the planned 200,000 units of the hybrid-only family car are bound for North America.

A new hybrid sports car is set to follow, while the mass-volume Civic series will also get the cheap and improved hybrid system with the next remodeling.

Fukui said he expected the new hybrid system would be as profitable as conventional gasoline cars, depending on the cars' selling price.

The chief executive has indicated that he wants to limit the price premium for consumers buying hybrid cars to around 200,000 yen ($NZ2367) to achieve the company's target of powering 10 per cent of its global vehicle sales with hybrid cars by around 2010.

Honda produces its hybrid cars in Japan. While Fukui said he wants to build at least 80 per cent of its cars sold in the United States in North America, he said he was not now thinking of local production of hybrids in the region.

"We may be thinking about local production (in North America) around 2011 or 2012 when our global hybrid sales reach 400,000 to 500,000 cars a year, but we don't think it's all that important," Fukui said without elaborating.

Old 01-15-08, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Wait so its ANOTHER 4 cylinder Acura??

Old 01-15-08, 09:40 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd careless about the # pistons. what important is the final HP & TQ figures which we don't know yet.
Old 01-15-08, 12:11 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like they plan on both 4 and 6 cylinder. 4 cylinder first then followed by 6 cylinder a year later.
Old 01-15-08, 12:25 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

It is fairly obvious that the new 4 cylinder diesel is going in the TSX first. Acura confirmed that before the engine arrives to the Acura brand in the U.S., it would first debut in Europe. Most likely the Euro-Accord which is our U.S. TSX.

So this means that the TSX will have three engine options now: standard petrol 4 cylinder (turbo RDX motor?), petrol V6 motor, and a turbo-diesel 4 cylinder.
Old 01-15-08, 09:00 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

:d..................
Attached Thumbnails Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009-v06.jpg  
Old 01-16-08, 08:54 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol...well at least they will finally have an engine with some torque!

hahaha ouch.
Old 01-16-08, 09:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I love it! Honda beats ToMoCo to it!
Old 01-17-08, 07:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
I love it! Honda beats ToMoCo to it!
Well both brands sell diesels overseas, just not here. The Honda Euro Accord (our TSX) has gotten great reviews with its diesel, so an updated engine/Euro Accord should be a great lil car.

Old 01-17-08, 09:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well both brands sell diesels overseas, just not here. The Honda Euro Accord (our TSX) has gotten great reviews with its diesel, so an updated engine/Euro Accord should be a great lil car.
Lets also point out that Honda has single diesel engine, while Toyota has 3-4 different series of diesel engines, including 1.4l, 2.0l, 2.2l, 2.5l, 3.0l, 4.5l in different variations.
Old 01-17-08, 09:46 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Interesting. Curious to see if there is a market for diesel Hondas in the United States. It would seem to me that Honda has already set themselves in with the hybrid crowd. They just didn't execute it properly with the Accord. But then I could be way off. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Quick Reply: Acura Will Introduce Clean Diesel i-DTEC Engine in 2009