Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Base V6 Camaro will have >300hp from 3.6L engine!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 06:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
GM is gonna ruin the reputation of this car, as nice as it looks I can't bare to see the numerous base model camaros driving around that should just not be, they don't need to make a car everyone can afford, just make it for the performance crowd
Does this mean that Ford ruined the Mustang? (aside from the Mustang II--I talking of late)
Old 05-23-08, 10:09 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Does this mean that Ford ruined the Mustang? (aside from the Mustang II--I talking of late)
I do think they ruined the mustang, they don't need to sell them to everyone, used Mustangs that are a couple months old sell for 5 grand, an 08 with 10k and nothing on it and whatever small V6 is in it, are way cheap.

Never really been into mustangs but I see way to many Mustangs that looked like they where left over rental fleet vehicles, a Mustang is suppose to be a performance vehicle not a daily driver with good fuel economy, the American companies are making the same mistakes
Old 05-23-08, 11:40 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is350
looks kinda funky. i think ill pick the challenger over this.
Ill pick the challenger as well. The Camaro just feels old.
Old 05-24-08, 08:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think an efficient 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder turbo putting this car at base 250 HP would be essential to the preventing the demise of this thing once the CAFE standards take effect in a few years.
Old 05-24-08, 09:02 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is actually a good thing. Better balance. When you can get the engine weight as far back behind the front axle as possible, that technically becomes a mid engine. Not a rear mounted mid engine but front mid engine. I believe the mid engine just calls for the engine to be between the axles. Either way, putting the engine as far back as possible is a good thing for chassis balance.
Oh I realize it's a good thing for the car... but it's a pain in the a$$ for the do it yourselfer who wants to change spark plugs or install headers.
Old 05-24-08, 09:21 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Oh I realize it's a good thing for the car... but it's a pain in the a$$ for the do it yourselfer who wants to change spark plugs or install headers.
Ain't that the truth. Have you tried working on the modern Toyota/Lexus V6? Not sure about the new engines buy changing spark plugs on those engines were also a PITA due to the intake manifold directly over the spark plugs on the rear bank And that
Old 05-24-08, 11:00 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ain't that the truth. Have you tried working on the modern Toyota/Lexus V6? Not sure about the new engines buy changing spark plugs on those engines were also a PITA due to the intake manifold directly over the spark plugs on the rear bank And that
Similar enough to the I6 on the 2jz-GE... manifold covers plug 3 and 4 and makes 2 and 5 very hard to get to. Requires removal of the upper intake manifold. Eventually you can pull it off in under 5 minutes; but its still way more effort than the GTE guys put in.
Old 05-25-08, 07:33 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wasn't GM supposed to be moving to the V6 in the Camaro/Firebird/Corvette after the Buick Grand National came out?
They tried it, with the TTA (Turbo Trans Am), but for some reason, it didn't stick.
Old 05-25-08, 08:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I dont know about V6, but 3UZ in my GS is way easier to work on than 1UZ in my LS. Reasons being that 3UZ does not have an engine fan at all, no distributors, no ignitors or coils, one engine cover instead of like 6, simpler intake, better battery placement, less vacuum hoses, etc.
Old 05-25-08, 10:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think an efficient 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder turbo putting this car at base 250 HP would be essential to the preventing the demise of this thing once the CAFE standards take effect in a few years.
Whatever happened to limited production cars, so what if gas is a major concern for most, the Corvette sells in limited numbers why not do the same with the Camaro, I just don't think car makers need to push 100k of every model, what happen to niche vehicles
Old 05-26-08, 10:51 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Whatever happened to limited production cars, so what if gas is a major concern for most, the Corvette sells in limited numbers why not do the same with the Camaro, I just don't think car makers need to push 100k of every model, what happen to niche vehicles
The Corvette is for the elite though. It has always been that way in regard to an image point of view. The Camaro was the poor mans Corvette. If you couldn't afford a Corvette, no big deal as a Camaro SS wasn't too bad at all. The Camaro is the Blue Color working mans Muscle car. The Corvette was your boss's car.

I think it would be a huge mistake to try and turn the iconic Camaro into an elite limited edition expensive car. It should remain true to its history and be a car most people can afford to buy with multiple engine choices just like how you could always buy them in the past.
Old 05-26-08, 06:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
They tried it, with the TTA (Turbo Trans Am), but for some reason, it didn't stick.
I thought the TTA was a V8?
Old 05-27-08, 12:46 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The Corvette is for the elite though. It has always been that way in regard to an image point of view. The Camaro was the poor mans Corvette. If you couldn't afford a Corvette, no big deal as a Camaro SS wasn't too bad at all. The Camaro is the Blue Color working mans Muscle car. The Corvette was your boss's car.

I think it would be a huge mistake to try and turn the iconic Camaro into an elite limited edition expensive car. It should remain true to its history and be a car most people can afford to buy with multiple engine choices just like how you could always buy them in the past.
I completely understand what your saying and agree, but I just don't want to see them destroy a muscle car for the sake of just profit, I don't know what to expect or what GM thinks their doing because the domestics have a way of showing really impressive prototypes and then the production version is nothing like what they showed

At this point I would either get a Challenger or just get a Mustang and go Roush crazy on it, but I do hope GM comes through with a sweet car, I've always favored the Camaro over the Vette
Old 05-27-08, 04:24 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
I thought the TTA was a V8?
3.8L V6 with a Garrett T3 turbo. Same engine as the Grand National--300hp, 340lbft.