Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hybrids worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 07:52 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Hybrids worth it?

This has propably been talked about before, but I was thinking about it today and it got me wandering. Are Hybrids worth It?

I decided to see if it would be worth it for me. I went to toyota.com and priced camry with 4cy hybrid and regular 4cyl. Base model on both. The cost of the hybrid was almost 28,000 and the regular was almost 20,000.

Now being I drive some city and highway I just took boths average and figured it up based on that. With that said driving 35 miles round trip to work everyday and 175 total miles a week the hybrid would cost around 25 dollars a week and the regular would cost me 30. That is a woppping 5 dollars a week savings!!

That means around 260 dollars a year savings. Now take that and divide it into the 7800 dollars more that the hybrid cost and the car would pay for the difference in 30 years. That is if it doesn cost more to maintain.

Doesnt sound like a very good idea for gas prices to me. Are hybrids just a scam or really worth it? What do you all think? Also there maybe better hybrids that I could get to get better fuel economy. I just took the camry.
Old 05-12-08, 08:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, take another thing into consideration - resale value. Generally hybrids have great resale value, just look up Prius or Insight on ebay, so it offsets the initial cost.
Old 05-12-08, 08:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The Camry also has great resale value. I doubt in 10 years, you'll get much more for the hybrid as opposed to the 4cyl, at least not an amount worthwhile. Some people will fear repair bill of the hybrid system if it ever fails.

35 miles round trip is not enough to warrant a hybrid version if you can get the 4cyl for 8k less.
Old 05-12-08, 08:40 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its not like your going going to use those 35 miles. you'll probably use it on the weekends and for roadtrips, however small. Also, keep in mind the camry hybrid has some options that are not available on that base camry you chose.

As mentioned above, keep in mind:
1) resale value
2) low emissions
3) exclusivity
Old 05-12-08, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
This has propably been talked about before, but I was thinking about it today and it got me wandering. Are Hybrids worth It?

I decided to see if it would be worth it for me. I went to toyota.com and priced camry with 4cy hybrid and regular 4cyl. Base model on both. The cost of the hybrid was almost 28,000 and the regular was almost 20,000.

Now being I drive some city and highway I just took boths average and figured it up based on that. With that said driving 35 miles round trip to work everyday and 175 total miles a week the hybrid would cost around 25 dollars a week and the regular would cost me 30. That is a woppping 5 dollars a week savings!!

That means around 260 dollars a year savings. Now take that and divide it into the 7800 dollars more that the hybrid cost and the car would pay for the difference in 30 years. That is if it doesn cost more to maintain.

Doesnt sound like a very good idea for gas prices to me. Are hybrids just a scam or really worth it? What do you all think? Also there maybe better hybrids that I could get to get better fuel economy. I just took the camry.
Great analysis. Unfortunately most people don't do it and amazingly some people not only don't recoup the money on the hybrid vs. the non-hybrid but they take a bath on the trade-in too and would have saved tons of money by continuing to drive what they had, even if it was a Hummer.

So to answer your question, no hybrids aren't worth it in the same model of car. Perhaps if you considered a 4 cyl. Camry vs. a Prius the math might come out better though.
Old 05-12-08, 09:06 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont buy a hybrid unless your looking to buy a new car. Its just a waste to have another car and to pay for. I have thought about it, and right now my gas cost per year is ONLY $5,000 for my LS400. If I had a Hybrid Pruis it would save me maybe a grand if not $1,500 ...

So I mean it doesnt do me enough justice to trade my beloved LS400 on a prius of all things just to save a $1500 that I would lose while paying on the vehicle anyway.
Old 05-12-08, 09:10 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Regardless of the math, in my opinion hybrids are absolutely worth it. why? because I would much rather give that extra money to a company like Toyota that will use it to help research and develop additional fuel efficient vehicles than to the blood-sucking oil companies.
Old 05-12-08, 09:12 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Dont buy a hybrid unless your looking to buy a new car. Its just a waste to have another car and to pay for. I have thought about it, and right now my gas cost per year is ONLY $5,000 for my LS400. If I had a Hybrid Pruis it would save me maybe a grand if not $1,500 ...

So I mean it doesnt do me enough justice to trade my beloved LS400 on a prius of all things just to save a $1500 that I would lose while paying on the vehicle anyway.
Definitely don't buy a hybrid if you already have a car that you like and is already paid for. Makes no sense to me. However, if you're in the market for a new vehicle, I think it would be pretty foolish to spend your money on a vehicle using old school technology when there are better, more fuel-efficient alternatives. Just my opinion of course.
Old 05-12-08, 09:29 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Regardless of the math, in my opinion hybrids are absolutely worth it. why? because I would much rather give that extra money to a company like Toyota that will use it to help research and develop additional fuel efficient vehicles than to the blood-sucking oil companies.
In the end I would rather keep the money for myself and not give it to anyone. I dont beleive toyota or anyone else has my best intrest in mind.
Old 05-12-08, 09:33 PM
LexFather

It doesn't take into account how much cleaner a hybrid runs compared to a gas engine.
Also you have to take into account what KIND of driving you do, city vs highway.

A hyrbid is ideal for those that drive A LOT that get stuck in traffic and do city driving A LOT. City driving is now suburb driving as its just as packed there as downtown.

Old 05-12-08, 09:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? Similarly equipped, the Camry Hybrid is only about $2,000 more expensive than the regular Camry (MSRP-wise). Take into account the added performance of the hybrid, and suddenly the enhanced fuel economy is almost "free".
Old 05-12-08, 09:36 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For fuel savings I think a Prius is worth it.

I think the GS450h is appealing on power and efficiency, but that tiny
little trunk is just a complete deal breaker.
Old 05-12-08, 11:30 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Huh? Similarly equipped, the Camry Hybrid is only about $2,000 more expensive than the regular Camry (MSRP-wise). Take into account the added performance of the hybrid, and suddenly the enhanced fuel economy is almost "free".
i didnt add any options. sut base on both of them and that was from toyota.com. 19000 for regular camry and 27000 for hybrid. Maybe I did something wrong, but thats what I got on there sight.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/trims-prices.html

I see what your saying about hybrid having more stuff, but the thing is I cant get it 2000 dollars cheaper than base camry. they should offer a hybrid that has nothing on it but basic power.

As for the prius. I wouldnt drive it, not my style. Im saying hybrids that I would drive. Not all people want to drive a car the size of a yugo. I like a little room to breath. Also how safe are these small cars compared to bigger cars? They may be just as safe, I dont know, but if not do we sacrifice our safety and our famillies safety for a little savings at the pump. These hybrids really arent that practical being they are really good for intown driving which means long trips your bigger car is just as good. So now you have to own a work car and a weekend car. thats insurance and service on both cars. Still a savings?

Last edited by pitmanr200; 05-12-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 11:40 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marshmallo
For fuel savings I think a Prius is worth it.

I think the GS450h is appealing on power and efficiency, but that tiny
little trunk is just a complete deal breaker.
I agree prius maybe worth it if you like it. I personally wouldnt drive it. Just not my cup of tea. I guess driving bigger cars has spoiled me. Not into the hole yugo thing again.
Old 05-12-08, 11:54 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
I agree prius maybe worth it if you like it. I personally wouldnt drive it. Just not my cup of tea. I guess driving bigger cars has spoiled me. Not into the hole yugo thing again.
Have you've been in a Prius before? The thing is very roomy.

Also you cannot compare base MSRP with base MSRP and not care about the additional equipment it has, if you compare the Camry I4 XLE to the Camry Hybrid you can see they are very similarly equipped and the difference is small and the added power of the Hybrid is also a plus

Quick Reply: Are Hybrids worth it?