Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hybrids worth it?

Old 05-13-08, 08:38 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long are the batteries rated on hybrids?
10 years before they may have to be replaced right?
Cost of replacing them?
Old 05-13-08, 08:43 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpone
Cost of replacing them?
Toyota gives you a 10 year warranty on the batteries. They originally estimated 12 years, but it appears that that estimate was a bit conservative. Its looking more like 15 years, which is fantastic. Toyota had a section devoted to disposing of the hybrid battery packs, but they temporarily closed it due to lack of volume.

There was a Prius taxi posted a while back that had 170,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Toyota reclaimed it to run tests on it and gave the guy a new one.
Old 05-13-08, 08:44 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

He said the Insight.
Its okay, we'll look away while you delete or edit your post.
No need. I'll fess up, I'm a dork.
Old 05-13-08, 09:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've done a cost analysis of a Prius vs a basic Corolla/Civic/Cobalt and can't make the Prius make sense anytime in the first 100k miles, and for it to make sense AFTER 100k miles you have to assume that the cost of replacement batteries will be significantly less than it is today.
I understand where you're coming from but keep in mind the Prius is classified as a MIDSIZE car not a subcompact which is what you're comparing it to.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You got confused. Its an Insight, not a Prius. They're more efficient, but obviously not as practical.

I'm assuming that this Insight is a MT.
correct MT Insight.

....and yes you're correct they're not nearly as practical as the Prius, but its perfect for me as a commuter car.

I am babying the car with Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic, HID kit from xenon depot, block heater (even in Houston).

Last edited by bagwell; 05-13-08 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:39 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Cost of replacing them?
Toyota have lab data showing the Prius battery can do 180,000 miles (290,000km) of normal driving with absolutely no degradation of the battery’s performance. Please read:
http://www.cleangreencar.co.nz/page/prius-battery-pack

Also, batteries can be reconditioned for about $700. Please read:
http://hybridreview.blogspot.com/200...y-to-help.html

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-13-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:59 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The used car market might have the most benefit of hybrids. Most of the car buyers I know don't keep their car for 10 years. Most of them keep it for 5-7 years. There probably will need to have a change in behavior. The longest I've ever had any car was just under 5 years. Obviously, the longer you own a hybrid the more money you will save. However, if you don't keep that particular car for longer than 5 years it may not give you the return that you want.
Old 05-13-08, 10:09 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No degradation? Wow.

Originally Posted by bagwell

I am babying the car with Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic, HID kit from xenon depot, block heater (even in Houston).
So I'm wondering if you would get any gains from a K & N air filter or a cold air intake.
Old 05-13-08, 10:18 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The used car market might have the most benefit of hybrids. Most of the car buyers I know don't keep their car for 10 years. Most of them keep it for 5-7 years. There probably will need to have a change in behavior. The longest I've ever had any car was just under 5 years. Obviously, the longer you own a hybrid the more money you will save. However, if you don't keep that particular car for longer than 5 years it may not give you the return that you want.
But the return is the resale value
Old 05-13-08, 10:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
Not to mention less wear and tear on the ICE = fewer repair related expenses. Hell, you don't even after have to replace the brake pads of a hybrid unless you are one who drives down a mountain everyday for 10 years straight.
Old 05-13-08, 10:25 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xioix
Depends. Most of the people I know that looked into hybrids were 1. Turned off at the higher initial cost. And 2. When looked at used ones where turned off by the higher asking price from the selling owners. 3. Were turned off my the looks of the more affordable ones like the Prius or Civic. Now we do have the Camry which is good though, but not back then. None of them have a hybrid right now, Some of them stuck with what they have, or bought new cars like the Yaris or Civic. Then you also have reasonably higher resale valued cars like the Honda and Toyota cars that a hybrid in reality is just not that much different.

I'm not against hybrids at all. In fact I welcome more hybrids. I am one of those; however, that rather see real economical hybrids at lower costs. If the industry wants people to move more into hybrid technology, they need to make it very worth the buyers money and time. If a hybrid make absolute sense to everyone economically, a lot more people would buy them.
Old 05-13-08, 10:32 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Not to mention less wear and tear on the ICE = fewer repair related expenses. Hell, you don't even after have to replace the brake pads of a hybrid unless you are one who drives down a mountain everyday for 10 years straight.
Wear and tear on the engine is really a none issue unless the car has well over 100K miles. Almost every engine I know of can easily last well past 100K miles and in fact probably over 200K miles before needed any major rebuild if taken care of properly. Then you have the question about how much added wear and tear does cycling the ICE engine on and off constantly do to the engine itself? Either way, like I mentioned before, people are going to have to change their habits and keep their cars longer. Again, most of the people I know don't keep their cars much past 100K miles. A lot of them start looking for a new car when the warranty ends. Maybe we just live in different parts of the country so people have different car buying habits elsewhere.

Personally, I think the reaction to higher gas prices for many is just a knee jerk reaction. There are so many people I know that now have very economical cars, or now take the bus or ride a bike to work because of the higher gas prices, yet take trips to Vegas 2-3 times a year and gamble their money away.
Old 05-13-08, 10:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So I'm wondering if you would get any gains from a K & N air filter or a cold air intake.
people have had problems with K&N filter oil fouling the Mass Airflow Sensor - but I've driven the car with no air filter at all with no measurable difference (tested over 27 miles).

BTW - I've been offered $10K for the car a couple of times and said NO WAY!(paid $8500).
Old 05-13-08, 11:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
I understand where you're coming from but keep in mind the Prius is classified as a MIDSIZE car not a subcompact which is what you're comparing it to.
Prius / Camry / Corolla

Length: 175" / 189" / 178"
Width: 67" / 71" / 66"
Height: 58" / 58" / 58"

Looks to me like the Prius is just slightly larger than a Corolla and much closer in size to the Corolla than the Camry.

I mean if you really want to get that hung up on EPA size classifications, the Accord is a large car according to the EPA. The Camry and Altima are midsized cars. Yet everyone that considers the closest competitors to the Accord considers the Camry and Altima, not the Crown Victoria (another EPA large car).
Old 05-13-08, 11:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
Prius / Camry / Corolla

Length: 175" / 189" / 178"
Width: 67" / 71" / 66"
Height: 58" / 58" / 58"
Yeah, but its based on interior volume.
Old 05-13-08, 11:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Oops... those were 2008 figures... 2009 Corolla is even bigger.

Yeah, but its based on interior volume.
Point being people don't compare cars necessarily on just one stat or classification.

I'll bet far more people compare the Prius to cars like the Civic and Corolla than they do the Camry. If they didn't, why would Toyota have bothered with the Camry Hybrid?

But on the subject of interior volume...
Prius: 96 CuF
Camry: 101 CuF
Corolla: 92 CuF

Once again the Prius is closer in interior volume to the Corolla than it is the Camry.

Just kinda shows that it's a little bit narrow minded to simply divide by EPA size classification.

Last edited by Threxx; 05-13-08 at 11:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Hybrids worth it?