Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Jaguar XF-SC vs. The Germans

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 06:02 PM
IndecentSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Ouch. I can't speak for that motor specifically but Range Rovers are often some serious pieces of crap.
they are but i notice that some of the S/C Range Rover run pretty good while they last.
Old 05-13-08, 05:05 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Do you guys think Lexus should offer a GS estate in the future? This whole "luxury lifestyle" / "family image" works well for the Mercedes E class in particular.

I think it could work for the next generation GS. However, don't offer it in hybrid form - it needs a trunk!

What Lexus needs to do with the current GS :
Give it a usable rear seat. Improve head clearance.Stop crippling the GS460 so that it has the same power as the LS460. The GS350 engine is just fine.Work on the steering and suspension dammit!

I'm getting a little frustrated with how Lexus is treating the GS. I get the feeling that they could have really hit a home run with the 3GS but because of marketing purposes,didn't want to encroach on its bigger brother , the LS in terms of space,comfort and power.

What's the function of a mid-size luxury sedan? to perform the functions of a family car yet add a dash of sportiness in terms of handling and edge in terms of styling.

IMO the 3gs only succeeds in term of improved styling and that's arguable at best. Functionality?--the A6,E and 5 series beats it. Heck even the ES beats it.

Amenities in this segment is a wash--all competent luxury mid-size sedans have basically the same gizmos.
Sportiness?only the E class loses to it.
It's Jack of all trades and master of none.
Old 05-13-08, 05:48 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
What Lexus needs to do with the current GS :
Give it a usable rear seat. Improve head clearance.Stop crippling the GS460 so that it has the same power as the LS460. The GS350 engine is just fine.Work on the steering and suspension dammit!

I'm getting a little frustrated with how Lexus is treating the GS. I get the feeling that they could have really hit a home run with the 3GS but because of marketing purposes,didn't want to encroach on its bigger brother , the LS in terms of space,comfort and power.

What's the function of a mid-size luxury sedan? to perform the functions of a family car yet add a dash of sportiness in terms of handling and edge in terms of styling.

IMO the 3gs only succeeds in term of improved styling and that's arguable at best. Functionality?--the A6,E and 5 series beats it. Heck even the ES beats it.

Amenities in this segment is a wash--all competent luxury mid-size sedans have basically the same gizmos.
Sportiness?only the E class loses to it.
It's Jack of all trades and master of none.
I agree, no offense to 3Gen GS owners the trunk room and rear room is a joke, might as well just turn it into a coupe rather than a sedan.