Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 Ways to Spot Automotive Cost-Cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 10:50 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have to disagree with eliminating dipstick on some european cars as cost cutting. common sense tells me its more expensive to have oil level sensor integrated into the dash display. this isnt as reliable as reading a dip stick, but it certainly isn't cost cutting.

great write up.
Old 05-10-08, 12:05 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
yes, the entire hood itself may weigh more but i'm talking about the amount of force required to prop them up. doesn't feel like more than 10-15 lbs.
Heh....true, unless the springs went out or you had the prop up stick, then try it...

In 100 degree weather even.
Old 05-10-08, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
i have to disagree with eliminating dipstick on some european cars as cost cutting. common sense tells me its more expensive to have oil level sensor integrated into the dash display. this isnt as reliable as reading a dip stick, but it certainly isn't cost cutting.

great write up.
Thanks.

Having a dipstick does increase the cost of designing and assembling the engine block, though not by a huge amount. And today's computer sensors, largely though the the economies of production, have became cheap to produce (many of them are made in low-cost Asian countries).

The main problem with the sensors-vs.-dipstick comparison, though, and the main reason I brought it up, was that a dipstick, if pushed in all the way, cannot fail...it is an exceedingly simple device. Sensors can and DO fail......BMW has had to replace a number of engines under warranty because of them (I don't have the exact number).
Old 05-10-08, 11:29 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
12- My BMW's fuel cap and door don't lock. I actually like it... just one less step to bother with at the fueling station. The alarm will sound if anybody opens it when the car is locked so I'm not worried about that.

Saw somebody else already replied to this, but on my old 96 740il, it locked, but only if the doors were locked, if you unlocked the car, the gas door was automatically unlocked too. If you looked on the 7, I know for sure there was a little actuator for the lock on it.
Old 05-11-08, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll respect your opinion, but disagree for a number of reasons....the most important being that some people have a lot of trouble with rods, especially with heavy hoods.

Up until the late 1970's or so, almost all cars had either springs or struts holding up the hood. Then the bean-counters discovered that they could save a couple bucks on each car by just bolting on a swing-rod instead.

I myself usually don't have any problems with the rods, but many people do, especially older people and those with little physical strength. This is made worse, of course, with heavy steel hoods....and if they drop they can be very hazardous.
I agree, luxury is about convience. Acura can put sattelite real time NAV but not a gas strut for the hood? Their priorities are messed up.

I lifted the new TSX hood and it is NOT LIGHT at all. It just screams CHEEEAPPPPP. Same as the old IS 300 hood. IS 300 owners hated it so much, some guys actually created gas struts for the car and sold them on IS300.net. I've seen them in person, it was a great mod.

Old 05-11-08, 07:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reminded of another one today--black body trim pieces, especially mirrors and door handles. Volvo and Saab finally switched over some of their cars from black door handles. Honda initially was doing this on the Pilot, but now only does it on the LX version.
Old 05-11-08, 07:36 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6. Painted Silver/Gray Interior Plastic.

This is something that just drives me up the wall. You don't expect lavish or expensive materials in entry-level econocars, though some, like Hyundai, give you relatively nice materials for the money. But, when you get into a $40,000 vehicle and see dash, door, and console plastic trim so thin and cheap, and so poorly painted with thin, flat, silver/gray paint, to the point where it could pass for a Kiddie-Car at Wal-Mart, it's time to speak up. At one time, a luxury car meant classy trim materials inside.........wood, chrome, carbon-fiber, brushed-metal aluminum, etc..... Now, it's getting to the point where you literally cannot tell some luxury cars from much less expensive cars.
This really irritates me also! Personally I find the current Toyota Avalon the worst offender which has seemingly acres of the silvery stuff... Lexus is not immune either... our RX330 is a pretty bad offender in its central dash... Materials like this make cars seem rapidly disposable (like plastic moulded electronic consumer goods) ... which perhaps is how they are essentially regarded now by their manufacturers...

....and don't get me started on fake plastic wood...

Chris
Old 05-15-08, 01:11 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8. No Oil Dipsticks.

You should have seen the look on my face when I recently raised the hoods of a $94,000 Mercedes E63 and a $69,000 BMW M3...and neither of them had a oil dipstick under the hood. Apparantly we are to trust the lifeblood of two of the most expensive and sophisticated engines on the market (the E63's hand-built engine is certified by a special technician) to a couple of nickel-and-dime computer oil sensors. Give me a break.
Great post mmarshall, but one clarification...the E63 does indeed come with a dipstick.
Old 05-15-08, 02:49 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.

Having a dipstick does increase the cost of designing and assembling the engine block, though not by a huge amount. And today's computer sensors, largely though the the economies of production, have became cheap to produce (many of them are made in low-cost Asian countries).

The main problem with the sensors-vs.-dipstick comparison, though, and the main reason I brought it up, was that a dipstick, if pushed in all the way, cannot fail...it is an exceedingly simple device. Sensors can and DO fail......BMW has had to replace a number of engines under warranty because of them (I don't have the exact number).
I think the move away from dipsticks to sensors and warning lights has less to do with cost-cutting and more to do with the lack of any general maintenance knowledge by the majority of drivers. It's ok for us motor enthusiasts on this site to say that checking the oil via a dipstick is easy but in the real world :

1. How many people actually check their oil between services?
2. How many know what a dipstick is and where to find it?
3. Assuming they can open the hood, correctly locate the dipstick, pull it out and read it - would they know how to interpret it?

Whenever I go to visit my mother she always asks me to check her oil, and worries before any long drive if she has enough oil. At least a warning light would give her the reassurance that she's ok in that department. Yes, sensors and warning lights can fail - but so can the human part of dipstick use. We even had a Ford where the dipstick tube came out with the stick, leaving a hole in the block.

With regard to spacesaver tyres, I think the space and weight they save is minimal. However, in the case of the Lexus IS, where the tyres are staggered front to back, and directional, a spacesaver is the only option since any full size spare would still only have a 1 in 4 chance of being the correct replacement.
Old 05-15-08, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Great post mmarshall, but one clarification...the E63 does indeed come with a dipstick.
Thanks.

I couldn't find one, though.....and the Mercedes people told me there was none.
Old 05-15-08, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I think the move away from dipsticks to sensors and warning lights has less to do with cost-cutting and more to do with the lack of any general maintenance knowledge by the majority of drivers. It's ok for us motor enthusiasts on this site to say that checking the oil via a dipstick is easy but in the real world :

1. How many people actually check their oil between services?
2. How many know what a dipstick is and where to find it?
3. Assuming they can open the hood, correctly locate the dipstick, pull it out and read it - would they know how to interpret it?
Well, you hit on part of the checking-oil problem with #3 there....another of my cost-cutting complaints. A prop-rod and heavy steel hood doesn't make checking the oil any easier for those who don't have Superman strength.

The dipsticks themselves, today, usually have color-coded yellow or orange handles for easy identification.

I don't buy the "ignorance" part of not being able interpreting the dipstick. How to properly check oil.....giving it a few minutes after engine shutoff to drain down to the crankcase, wiping off the dipstick, then re-inserting it on a level surface to get an accurate reading........that is all part of driver training, or SHOULD be. Granted, it is harder to see right after an oil change, when the oil is clean and clear, but usually you can still make it out with decent eyes....and decent eyes are a driving prerequisite.

I usually check my oil when it is cold in the moring, after sitting all night, and ALL of the oil is down in the crankcase for an acurate dipstick reading.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-08 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-15-08, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

6. Painted Silver/Gray Interior Plastic.

10. Flimsy Gloveboxes.
Great lists Mmarshall

6. You list the interior, how about the exterior?

EX: I remembered the 1st gen X3 had the ugly front and rear black unpainted bumper like the honda element, xterras, etc.
I couldn't imagine spending >$40k for this. Yeah, they said it was to prevent paint chipping when offroading
Guess what, they're painted now

10. Oh how flimsy the glove box is in the LS460 (already mentioned in the LS section) as compared to the old LS430 and even the other lexus.

What about usage of insulations? Is it a luxury thing or a cost cutting thing???
Toyotas barely use any insulations as compared to lexus. I want to pull off all the panels in my Sienna and add more.
Old 05-15-08, 10:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
It's located behind the steering wheel in the driver seat

JUST KIDDING-not directed you. Couldn't help myself.
Old 05-15-08, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Great lists Mmarshall
Thanks.

6. You list the interior, how about the exterior?
I listed several exterior things in the post.....rigidly-mounted exterior mirrors,
pint-size spare tires or gas bottles instead of a proper spare tire, skimping on exterior door/trunk locks by providing only one for the drivers' door, and omitting a lock for the gas cap/filler door.