Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinder engines in their lineup?
Yes - It's time for Lexus to start offering 4 cylinder engines
32.82%
No - Lexus should keep their lineup 6 cylinder or higher
67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 05:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
while i think acura's BIGGER problem is not offering any v8 at all, them offering 4 cylinders rsx and tsx, that's a problem to begin with as well. it just cheapens the brand, period, especially with the rsx.

yrs ago, bmw wanted to get the crowd, they came up with the 318ti. a lot of my friends called owners of that car posers or wannabe. that was for a reason. and now you don't see that kind of cars from bmw.

at least in my mind, there is a "structure" for luxury vehicles, and none of the corners in that structure could be cut
I agree 100%. When I think 4-cylinder, I think;
Kia
Toyota
Nissan
Honda
Acura
Hyundai
Mini

etc etc etc.

See the problem?

4 cylinder= economy, PERIOD. Can you make some stellar 4 cylinders? Hell yes you can.

Old 05-05-08, 05:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think outside the box.

....Remember it used to be everything V8. That means performance and prestige. Look where that got us.
Old 05-05-08, 05:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus should offer IS200, GS250, LS350, etc. but only OUTSIDE the US market, not necessarily for fuel economy reasons but for tax reasons because people in most other markets are taxed by engine displacements. Most people buy luxury cars for status, safety and luxury amenities and need only adequate performance in acceleration. Lexus is at a serious disadvantage in those markets.
Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't think the RSX is cheapening the brand. Especially cause it doesn't exist anymore.
Well it is still running on the road. The damage is already done really.
Old 05-05-08, 05:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I think Lexus should offer IS200, GS250, LS350, etc. but only OUTSIDE the US market, not necessarily for fuel economy reasons but for tax reasons because people in most other markets are taxed by engine displacements. Most people buy luxury cars for status, safety and luxury amenities and need only adequate performance in acceleration. Lexus is at a serious disadvantage in those markets.Well it is still running on the road. The damage is already done really.
Hmmm, almost makes you think owning a Lexus has MORE prestige, technically, since they don't sell those versions at all.

As one that gets EVO/Top Gear/CAR and assorted Euro mags, its AMAZING the different versions of one car they sell in Europe.

Old 05-05-08, 05:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Audi A4 ~ 2.0L T with DI (Quattro)
200 hp, 207 trqs
6 MT - 20/31
6AT 19/27 (21/30 for the FWD)
0 - 60 in 7.3 seconds

Lexus IS250 ~ 2.5L with DI
204 hp, 184 trqs.
6 MT - 18/26 (0-60 in 7.9 seconds)
6 AT - 21/29 (0-60 in 7.9 seconds)
6 AT - 20/26 (AWD, 0-60 in 8.3 seconds)

But the A4 isn't luxury should be in the ranks of a Kia, Honda, or Nissan?
Old 05-05-08, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
from the posts i read above, some said LS should be available in 6 cylinders. ok, why not 4? some 4 cylinders (with FI by all means) can get up to 300 horses no problem and still being reliable. put that in the LS and the car will go just fine. so, are you saying the LS should be in 4 cylinders as well? do you find it sound somewhat funny? if yes, ask why. if no, then we agree to disagree
No, Henry, we'll both agree on this one.......no four-bangers for the LS. As you point out, turbo and supercharged fours can reach 300 HP (obviously, the Evo and STI are the best examples). But those powerplants are too peaky, too raucous, and too unrefined for an LS.
Old 05-05-08, 05:54 PM
LexFather

Think outside the box.

....Remember it used to be everything V8. That means performance and prestige. Look where that got us.
Lexus has, more than ANYONE with HYBRIDS.
You can get smaller engine economy with bigger engine performance. No one else can figure that out.
TO me THAT is luxury. Not dumbing down your luxury lineup with tons of 4 cylinders.

You want 35MPG, you can get a Camry Hybrid. You want 25 MPG, RWD, top luxury and sport, you can get the GS 450h.

Its just a matter of time ES/GX/LX etc hybrids come along.

Old 05-05-08, 05:54 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

for those saying that fuel efficiency is just an afterthought in this class or brand, explain why lexus offers hybrids.
Old 05-05-08, 05:57 PM
LexFather

Audi A4 ~ 2.0L T with DI (Quattro)
200 hp, 207 trqs
6 MT - 20/31
6AT 19/27 (21/30 for the FWD)
0 - 60 in 7.3 seconds

Lexus IS250 ~ 2.5L with DI
204 hp, 184 trqs.
6 MT - 18/26 (0-60 in 7.9 seconds)
6 AT - 21/29 (0-60 in 7.9 seconds)
6 AT - 20/26 (AWD, 0-60 in 8.3 seconds)

But the A4 isn't luxury should be in the ranks of a Kia, Honda, or Nissan?
You are forgetting that is not the only way the A4 is configured. You can get AWD, a V-6, AWD and a 340hp V-8, and RWD biased AWD and a 420hp V-8.

Old 05-05-08, 05:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus has, more than ANYONE with HYBRIDS.
You can get smaller engine economy with bigger engine performance. No one else can figure that out.
TO me THAT is luxury. Not dumbing down your luxury lineup with tons of 4 cylinders.

You want 35MPG, you can get a Camry Hybrid. You want 25 MPG, RWD, top luxury and sport, you can get the GS 450h.

Its just a matter of time ES/GX/LX etc hybrids come along.

So having 2 more cylinders will automatically make my **** bigger?

What if I want more luxury than Camry hybrid, but I don't need the speed of a GSh, nor do I want to pay for it and perhaps I wanna to minimize the amount of oil I consume? Then what?
Old 05-05-08, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
for those saying that fuel efficiency is just an afterthought in this class or brand, explain why lexus offers hybrids.
Because it is part of the Toyota corporate structure, that's why. Toyota, long ago, chose hybrids over diesels as a way of getting better mileage, although the Lexus hybrids emphasize performance more so than straight mileage.
Old 05-05-08, 05:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are forgetting that is not the only way the A4 is configured. You can get AWD, a V-6, AWD and a 340hp V-8, and RWD biased AWD and a 420hp V-8.
Look again, I included AWD. I was doing a comparison of the 4 cylinder model with the base IS. I don't care about a V6 or V8 in this comparison.
Old 05-05-08, 06:00 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

If Lexus is to compete in emerging markets like in Asia it would serve them well if they offered 4 cylinder cars. Benz and BMW here in PI offer 4 bangers for their C-Classes and 3 Series, even the S-Class here is only an S350.
Old 05-05-08, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Again, Lexus has always been near tops or at the tops with fuel efficiency, even before gas started to be over $1 a gallon. It has been a part of the engineering guidelines, less weight (Lexus also had the lightest vehicles with BMW)= better economy.

Well today both brands are much heavier. Lexus has hybrid technology showing they are at the FOREFRONT with automotive tech. It shows you can both have fun (Performance) and responsibility (higher MPG/cleaner emissions). So some of it is to help with having cars with higher MPG, the other part is to show Lexus is a technology leader.

They still sell in very small numbers though. For the average luxury car buyer, MPG is NOT the main reason to purchase the car. Prestige, luxury, looks, performance, sport, quality are the usual reasons.

Old 05-05-08, 06:03 PM
LexFather

Look again, I included AWD. I was doing a comparison of the 4 cylinder model with the base IS. I don't care about a V6 or V8 in this comparison.
The European market is VASTLY different than the American market. I-4 diesels are more than acceptable in Europe and they are brand snobs (even more so than us) so having an "Audi" matters more even if its FWD.

I see your argument but you cannot forget that the A4 offers multiple drivetrains and engines, whereas say the TSX is a Euro Accord with only FWD and only an I-4.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?