Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinder engines in their lineup?
Yes - It's time for Lexus to start offering 4 cylinder engines
32.82%
No - Lexus should keep their lineup 6 cylinder or higher
67.18%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?

Old 05-05-08, 02:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks...forgot about that one lone 6, but nevertheless you just proved my point. The in-line 4 outperforms it and gets better mileage. In like manner, I was impressed with the 2009 Acura TSX's in-line four when I drove it last week.
I was just reading in R & T that there is room in the engine bay of the new TSX for a 6 cylinder. ....I'd rather see a turbo 4 in there.
Old 05-05-08, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike, BMW sells more 1 series cars with 6 cylinders than Audi sells A3 4 cylinders. A4 has never been a huge seller.

Can't say that yet. We'll have to wait for yearly sales figures, The 1-series has only been out less than two months in the American market. the A3 and A4 have been here for years...the A4 much more so.

And I don't know about Atlanta, but the A4 does very well here, especially in the AWD Quattro models.
Old 05-05-08, 02:49 PM
JessePS

What Lexus should offer is the LF-A already!

And more hybrid SUVs!
Old 05-05-08, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I was just reading in R & T that there is room in the engine bay of the new TSX for a 6 cylinder. ....I'd rather see a turbo 4 in there.
Yes. There's definitely room. But the four fits in there nicely (if you remember my review) with room to work on it. The six would be more of a sardine-can.
Old 05-05-08, 02:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yes. There's definitely room. But the four fits in there nicely (if you remember my review) with room to work on it. The six would be more of a sardine-can.
And I already have enough trouble gettin the damn oil filter outta my bro's IS300. PIA!!!!
Old 05-05-08, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Keep the 4-bangers to Toyota.
The main problem there is that the Toyota 4-cylinder interiors aren't plush enough. Some people want interior plushness and a four-cylinder combined, like with the last Acura TSX. Acura made a major error on the new TSX by cheapening its interior, as you'll recall from my review.
Old 05-05-08, 03:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
absolutely not...... there is a much better company offering 4 cylinders, that's called toyota.

lexus is a luxury brand. to be very honest here (and i am not trying to be cocky), like someone already said, if you can afford a luxury brand, you should be able to afford the gas. otherwise, don't stretch it, that's part of the ownership experience. luxury means paying extra for the "status", going cheap is the other direction

cars like gs350 and is350/250 can already achieve very respectable gas mileage with their engines. we don't need a corolla in the lexus lineup for 40mpg
I was going to post something, but you already said everything I wanted to say.
Old 05-05-08, 03:47 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

4 cylinder engines are for Toyota and Scion.
Old 05-05-08, 03:49 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

4 cylinder luxury car? yea it didnt help acuras image....
Old 05-05-08, 04:02 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolverine
4 cylinder luxury car? yea it didnt help acuras image....
See, to me, Acura's problem is not that they offer 4 cylinders, it's that they don't offer an 8. They have always been seen as second rate compared to the others for that very reason. In my opinion, offering a 4 cylinder doesn't cheapen the brand, but enhances it. It gives more options to the buyer and those that would prefer to spend less time at the gas pumps should have that option. Being able to afford the extra gas that a 6 or 8 requires is not the issue here. It's about being more efficient and not needing or wanting the extra HP a 6 or 8 would provide. I personally see no problem with Lexus giving their customers the option of all 3 engine choices - you want a GS with a 4 cylinder? sure no problem. you want it with an 8? that's no problem either.
Old 05-05-08, 04:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

We're also forgetting that one of the real figures is power and torque, not just number of cylinders. For instance, I did an Acura TSX-Lexus IS250 comparison just last week and found the TSX's 2.4L four just as peppy, if not more so, than the IS250's 2.5L V6. And look at the torque that Saab, itself an upmarket brand, gets from their turbo-fours in the 9-3 and 9-5. They have never sold a six or V8, to my knowledge, in anything other than the (Chevy trailBlazer) 9-7X. Haven't needed one.
i am sorry, but power/tq was never ever in my radar at all when i made my post. it's just no 4 cylinder period, i don't care about the power output. getting a 4 cylinder in the line up with suit up interiors and exteriors, imho they don't "match" with each other.

of course, if gas price reaches certain point, let's say 20 bucks a gallon here in the US, then maybe gas mileage would become an issue in people's decision in buying luxury cars that are NOT gas friendly. but at THIS point, where gas is 4 bucks a gallon? that's not the point yet imho.

or let's put it the other way. from the posts i read above, some said LS should be available in 6 cylinders. ok, why not 4? some 4 cylinders (with FI by all means) can get up to 300 horses no problem and still being reliable. put that in the LS and the car will go just fine. so, are you saying the LS should be in 4 cylinders as well? do you find it sound somewhat funny? if yes, ask why. if no, then we agree to disagree
Old 05-05-08, 04:04 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not in the near future, but when gas hits $6/gallon (and it will eventually), things will change.
Old 05-05-08, 04:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
See, to me, Acura's problem is not that they offer 4 cylinders, it's that they don't offer an 8. They have always been seen as second rate compared to the others for that very reason. In my opinion, offering a 4 cylinder doesn't cheapen the brand, but enhances it. It gives more options to the buyer and those that would prefer to spend less time at the gas pumps should have that option. Being able to afford the extra gas that a 6 or 8 requires is not the issue here. It's about being more efficient and not needing or wanting the extra HP a 6 or 8 would provide. I personally see no problem with Lexus giving their customers the option of all 3 engine choices - you want a GS with a 4 cylinder? sure no problem. you want it with an 8? that's no problem either.
while i think acura's BIGGER problem is not offering any v8 at all, them offering 4 cylinders rsx and tsx, that's a problem to begin with as well. it just cheapens the brand, period, especially with the rsx.

yrs ago, bmw wanted to get the crowd, they came up with the 318ti. a lot of my friends called owners of that car posers or wannabe. that was for a reason. and now you don't see that kind of cars from bmw.

at least in my mind, there is a "structure" for luxury vehicles, and none of the corners in that structure could be cut
Old 05-05-08, 04:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

while i think acura's BIGGER problem is not offering any v8 at all, them offering 4 cylinders rsx and tsx, that's a problem to begin with as well. it just cheapens the brand, period, especially with the rsx.

yrs ago, bmw wanted to get the crowd, they came up with the 318ti. a lot of my friends called owners of that car posers or wannabe. that was for a reason. and now you don't see that kind of cars from bmw.

at least in my mind, there is a "structure" for luxury vehicles, and none of the corners in that structure could be cut
But at least BMW (and MB) have an excuse to produce these "poser cars". While we all know that these cars aren't premium by any means, these cars are bread and butter for MB and BMW, because they sell in quantities. And unlike Lexus/Acura/Infiniti, MB and BMW do not have a parent non-premium brand, so they have to release these poser cars under their own trademarks. But there's no reason for Lexus to resort to 4 cylinders. It's like if Rolls Royce or Maybach resorted to 6 cylinders.
Old 05-05-08, 04:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I don't think the RSX is cheapening the brand. Especially cause it doesn't exist anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should Lexus start offering 4 cylinders?