Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Post 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

In this issue, one of the features is the "24 cars worth waiting for segment". On page 44 there is a small picture of the 2009 TL. I think it may be a photoshop but it could be legit. Car & Driver is claiming a 300 hosrepower 3.7 liter V6 powering the front wheels is to be expected. I was hoping for SH-AWD. No mention of it in the blurb.

Old 04-24-08, 09:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

It better not look anything like that!! (an enlarged TSX). Last model before Acura officially has a full lineup of ugly vehicles.
Old 04-24-08, 09:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not feeling it.

I like the current version better...
Old 04-24-08, 09:53 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I like the current version better...
I think that's Acura's biggest problem right now. The current TL, despite being out for a long time, is still a damn good looking car. It's going to be hard to improve upon it.
Old 04-24-08, 10:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I think that's Acura's biggest problem right now. The current TL, despite being out for a long time, is still a damn good looking car. It's going to be hard to improve upon it.

Werd!! Type-S with factory bodykit is still a looker!! Drives nice, and the 6-speed manual is an absolute dream.
Old 04-24-08, 10:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no. It shouldn't look like that nor should it lack AWD. Come on TL hybrid.
Old 04-24-08, 10:07 PM
LexFather

My concerns.
1. Honda/Acura went from bland to butt ugly. As yall stated, the current TL is a looker, so I'm scared what the new model will look like, especially seeing the new RL and TSX.
2. Its still using the same engines, though I doubt that will hurt sales.
3. If the TL has SH-AWD optional, it grows in size (it has too, the TSX is way to close now to the TL in size) and it gains the usual tech, more luxury etc, it will make the RL look even WORSE than it does now.

Old 04-24-08, 10:20 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

That's one fugly looking front. Hope the designer at Acura wakeup from this bad dream. I'd rather they make subtle changes to the current gen and not make wild changes just for the sake of change.
Old 04-24-08, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the TL has really lost my faith since their current design in 2004. i hope acura to bounce back, but if they continue to be stubborn (my terms)....
Old 04-24-08, 10:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Most likely that picture is just an artist impression and not the real thing, if that is the real TL then that is extremely disappointing and a huge step down from the current one and they are going to have alot of disappointed fans. I really hope Acura does not screw this one up and listens to all the negative feedback from the RL refresh and 09 TSX, especially with the odd looking grills and the TSX not seeming like all that much of an improvement over the last model. I would much rather see a MDX type grill on the new TL and it resembling the Sports 4 concept. Who knows. I seriously doubt it will just look like an enlarged TSX as the TL has always had its own look in the Acura lineup and looks pretty unique.
Old 04-24-08, 10:48 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Artist impression, windows don't match the spy shots we've been seeing around. Apparently the new TL is quite the looker too but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I don't think we'll find out til November, LA Auto show.
Old 04-24-08, 11:44 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

That picture is a TSX. The body lines and window frame are exactly the same as the TSX. The only photoshop effort that was put into this picture was in the tailights and the abnormally large off-roading fog-lights. You can actually see the line on the tailights (towards the tip) where they photoshoped to look different from the TSX. Oh, and it has the 21 inch rims from the Acura Advanced Sports Car concept.
Old 04-25-08, 09:28 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I already read some pretty firm info on the 2009 TL from an Acura board a few weeks ago... they were saying 300hp 3.7L with FWD, AWD optional. No type-S for now... pretty much about what is being said here.

That's definitely not any sort of spy shot though... some serious exaggerations in that drawing that would never make it to production.

Last edited by Threxx; 04-25-08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 09:34 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The problem with the new Acuras is that they don't look like a line of luxury vehicles.
Old 04-25-08, 12:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I think I already read some pretty firm info on the 2009 TL from an Acura board a few weeks ago... they were saying 300hp 3.7L with FWD, AWD optional. No type-S for now... pretty much about what is being said here.
It's already been confirmed that a 3.5 with the FWD/286hp and an optional 3.7 AWD with about 330hp will be available, the S will come in a year, but Acura always waits a year with the S Type

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)