Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG

By CL request, a review of the 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=E63

(KPH speedometer shown)

In a Nutshell: A marvelous sport sedan, Well-engineered, but highly expensive, complex, and iffy reliability.

The Mercedes AMG E63 sedan, which I'm reviewing by request of several CL members, is the top-line version of the American-market lineup of E-Class models, which include the E320 Bluetec Diesel sedan, the E350 gas-engine sedan and wagon, and the E550 gas-engine sedan. The E63 adds to a growing line of Mercedes AMG models which now include almost every model sold in the American market....even the soccer-mom R class now has an R63 AMG version, as does the Off-road, mountain-goat, G class Gelandewagen. But these AMG vehicles cost money....LOTS of money, as I will describe further below. They are marketed primarily to compete with BMW M, Audi S/RS, Cadillac V, Lexus F, and Jaguar R-spec vehicles. Much has been written in the automotive press about the power of the AMG powerplants, so I was interested, myself, in sampling one of the latest ones.....specially since they are not run-of-the-mill, cookie-cutter-stamped, assembly-line engines; each one is hand-built and certified by an AMG techincian.

Normally I go to a dealership or other place for an auto review with my casual clothes and baseball cap. Not today. Mercedes dealerships are classy places, and their age-old stereotype of being full of arrogant, snobbish reps is rapidly changing....everyone there today was super-nice. Still, I was going specifically to examine and drive a car worth nearly $100,000, and I wasn't going to go in looking or acting like Michael Moore. I sure don't THINK like him, and wasn't about to look like him either. So, I shaved, bathed, put on a nice pair of slacks, shoes, dress shirt, and jacket, and left my cap in my car.

It paid off. Though I didn't know anyone there at the dealership or had officially dealt with any of them before, either alone or shopping with someone else, they were more than happy to toss me the "Key" and a dealer license plate after I had statically examined and reviewed the car. They were impressed with my stature, temperment, auto knowledge, and ability to evaluate the car. I'm not bragging about myself....that's what they said, not me. Contrast that with what I went through trying to review and test-drive a Pontiac G8 GT.....a car that cost one-third of what this car did. The local Pontiac shops treated the G8s like they were solid gold and rare artifacts.

Well, I know you guys didn't tune in here just to hear me talk about myself...........you want a review, so a review you'll get. Enough of my personal story.......let's get to the car itself.

Model Reviewed: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG Sedan

Base Price: $85,000

Major Options:

Premium II Package: $3620

iPod Integration Kit: $425

Rear Side-Window Blinds: $350

Panorama Sunroof: $1010

Electronic Trunk Closer $530

Destination/Freight: $775

Federal Gas-Guzzler Tax: $2100

List Price as Reviewed: $93,810

Exterior Color: Iridium Silver

Interior: Black Nappa Leather/Black Birdseye Maple Wood Trim

Drivetrain: RWD, Longitudionally-mounted, hand-built, 6.3L DOHC, 32-valve V8, 507 HP @ 6800 RPM, Torque 465 Ft-lbs. @ 5200 RPM, 7-Speed AMG Speed-Shift automatic.

PLUSSES:

Handsome (IMO) exterior styling and alloy wheels.

Classic muscle-car torque and acceleration.

Hand-built, Certified engine.

Excellent ride-handling combination from multi-adjustable suspension height/firmness.

Smooth but firm, almost BMW-level steering.

Luxury-car quietness and refinement.

Numerous safety features a Mercedes tradition.

Solid doors, hood, and trunk lid.

Nice seat leather/suede trim; better than in many other German cars.

Power adjusters inside for virtually everything.

Dull but handsome grayish-brown interior wood trim.

Dash level/floor climate control vents adjustable in mix/stages.

Classy Mercedes hood ornament.

Panorama glass sunroof corners both front and rear seat.

Good stereo sound quality.

No I-Drive-type controller like in some other Mercedes products.

Smooth but not particularly glossy paint job.

Good exterior hardware, except for the grille.

Good interior hardware.

Turn signals mounted on both outside mirrors.

Choice of key or button-operated ignition.

Split rear-seat fold-down for extra cargo room.

Rear seat head rests retract rearward when not in use for better visibility.

Well-finished trunk.

Clever front/rear-seat folding integration for cargo.

Mercedes dealerships becoming more friendly and less arrogant.

MINUSES:

Very high purchase, operating, servicing, and insurance costs.

Annoying brake action.

Primary gauges too small.

Relatively short 4 year/50,000 mile drivetrain warranty (most cars have at least 5/60).

Typically below-par Mercedes reliability record, especially for electronics.

Complex stereo/NAV controls, even without a **** controller.

Sardine-can underhood engine compartment.

Weird spare tire/wheel assembly.

Vast number of power accessories and controls requires time to learn and operate.

Poorly located engine START/STOP button.

Rear seat leg and footroom unsuitable for large adults.

Too much (IMO) black monotone in the interior.

Relatively low ground clearance, by sedan standards, with the AMG body-skirts.

Terrible, super-dull, funeral-home exterior paint color choices.

Lighter, richer-looking Burl Walnut wood interior trim apparantly not available on AMG models.

Awkward, step-on emergency brake.

No oil dipsick underhood.

7 speeds in the automatic transmission a little overkill.

Cheap, flimsy, lightweight chrome-plastic grille.

Mercedes 4-Matic AWD system not avaliable.

EXTERIOR:

No surprises here. The E63, as you first walk up to it, basically looks like the E320 Diesel, E350, and E550 sedans, with some minor differences in grille, trim, wheels, and body-skirt parts. It's a handsome look, IMO, beating that of the rival BMW 5-series and the Audi A6 with its too-large grille. Of the three cars, the E63 wins, hands-down, in the looks department. I liked the four round, rather conservative headlights in front, the classy, chrome, spring-loaded Mercedes Tri-Star hood ornament (hood ornaments are becoming increasingly rare these days, especially in sport sedans), tasteful, smartly-styled rear end and taillights, and swept-but-not-excessively-swept roofline. The exterior paint job, in Iridium Silver Metallic, was very smooth, even, and free from orange peel, but not particularly glossy.....and it lacked the bright silver-like glow of the traditional Mercedes silver paint jobs. Mercedes, oddly, like most German makes, charges extra for metallic colors on the E320/350/550 models, but does not on the E63. Unfortunately, I can't remember the last time I've seen a duller line of colors. Those available for the whole E-Class across the board, not just the E63, are just terrible......I've complained about funeral-home paint colors on other cars in the past, but the E63's, and all of the E-Class colors, make even THEM look bright. Come on, guys, this is a SPORT sedan. Paint it accordingly. Not everyone wants black, silver, or super-dull colors.

The sheet metal under that paint, however, is strong, solid, and well-done, with excellent fit/finish....the seams, gaps, and corners were smooth as a baby's butt. The twin outside mirrors were solidly mounted, snapped and swivelled smartly into place, and contained built-in turn signals. Mercedes (and Volvo) pride themselves on the advanced safety features, super-solid frame construction/rigidity, and effectiveness of the crumple-zones they design into every vehicle they sell (if it wasn't for the absurdly high cost of repairing Mercedes products, they probably would have lower insurance premiums than they do).

All of the exterior hardware and trim was solid, of high quality, and well-attached, the lone exception being the flimsy, bargain-basement, chrome-plastic grille, which made the grilles on economy cars feel good in comparison (I wonder what Mercedes charges for one in the parts department). That aside, almost everything on the outside was impressive. As on the Pontiac G8 GT I looked at last week, I liked the look and quality of the 5-spoke alloy wheels. The AMG-exclusive lower-body skirts, however, take a little ground clearance away, so some care is required over humps and angled driveways. However, unlike many other cars with low body-skirts, the suspension on this car is power-adjustable for height...just hit a button, and the whole car rises or falls. The suspension is power-adjustable in other ways, too.....more on that below.

UNDERHOOD:

More or less like most other cars in its class these days. The solid, well-constructed hood is held up with twin gas struts, but the aformentioned cheap, flimsy grille is attached and rises with it. The impressive, hand-built, AMG 6.3L V8 fits in quite snugly, has the usual large plastic cover on it, and is displaced slightly rearward for optimum weight balance. A small plaque, on top of the engine cover, bears the signature of the AMG technician responsible for the engine's assembly, balance, and certification. That's one reason for this car's high price.....Mercedes doesn't take short cuts with these engines. The people at the dealership told me what it would cost to replace one of these powerplants, if it was defective or damaged by an accident or abuse......I won't print it here, because you wouldn't want to know.

Like many other cars these days, this is not an underhood compartment for do-it-yourselfers...and with a precision-built engine like this, it is perhaps best left to the service shop anyway....where Mercedes parts and service then picks everything out of your right pocket that they didn't pick out of your left pocket the day you bought the car (though the first couple are free) .

That said, as expected, with the tight engine fit, and panels/covers everywhere, there is little access to anything underhood except for a transmission-fluid dipstick, a couple of reservoirs, the coolant reserve tank, and the ABS computer. A simple dipstick to check the oil? Sorry, Chief......you trust the lifeblood of this hand-built engine to a nanny oil computer and its sensors.

INTERIOR:

Get in, shut the solid-slamming doors, look around you, and you will be bewildered by all the equipment Mercedes puts into this car. There is an enormous number of comfort and convienence features everywhere throughout the cabin. It is so complex that I can't possibly name everything in one review, but I'll touch on some of them. There are twin overhead panels and reading lights for front/rear, twin step-adjustable dials for mixing dash, floor, and defrost airflow (something I haven't seen before), rear headreats that fold back rearward and go flat for visibility, power front head restraints, dual REAR climate-control systems, multi-memory systems for power seats, mirrors, and steering column, power trunk open/close system, literally dozens of functions for the stereo and NAV system. Plus, there are numerous switches for suspension height, suspension firmness, iPod/phone systems...on and on and on. I went over a number of them in the car, both by myself and with the salesman, but it will take a good deal of time to practice with all of them....you won't learn it all in one day. This is, to say the least, a complex car, even by the standards of some general aviation airplanes that I used to fly. Fortunately, there is no I-Drive-type controller on the E63....that would make an already overly-complex control system even worse.

The seat leather was much nicer than what I have come to expect from other German-designed cars. It was smooth, relatively soft and Lexus/Jaguar-like, and didn't have that annoying, dull, grainy feel that I have come to expect from many BMW and VW products, though, as with some other sport sedans, there is too much black monotone for my tastes...IMO, it would look better in two-tone. There are suede Alcantra inserts at shoulder level. The seats themselves are comfortable and supportive, though not quite as form-fitting as on BMWs, and, of course, have almost every kind of multi-power adjustment imaginable. There is even a small, separate PANEL on the lower front the driver's seat cushion with buttons for the lumbar adjustment alone. Buttons control the automatic sun-shades for the windows and Panorama full-length glass roof.

In front of you there is a well-designed and comfortable steering wheel (the leather stitching don't bother you like on some wheels) with....you guessed it......more buttons. Behind that, on the dash, is a nice round speedometer with 10-20-30-40, etc.. increments that are, IMO, easier to read at a glance than the more common 20-40-60-80, etc... This is one of the few areas that Mercedes beats BMW in the driver-friendly department. But the tachometer, to the right of the speedometer, IMO, is too small for a proper sport sedan, and an identically-sized and styled analog clock lies to the left.....space where an oil-pressure/voltmeter gauge, IMO, would have made more sense. Small, vertical, electronic bar-graph coolant-temperature and fuel gauges take up the remaining real estate in the front panel; both, IMO, are also too small......the fuel gauge especially so, considering how fast it is going to drop with the car's 12/19 mileage ratings.

The dull, grayish-brown wood-pattern trim on the dash and door panels was not my favortite color for this kind of trim, but was generally classy anyway. The lighter, more browish, more natural wood-looking Burl Walnut, available on other E-Class models, was apparantly struck off the E63 spec list by the Mercedes marketers.....though that is uncertain from the brochure material. All of the interior trim, wood or otherwise, was solid, of high quality, and well-attached, just like on the exterior.

But there were a few bad features inside as well. The most glaring was the engine START/STOP button on top of the transmission shifter. This was not only where you DON'T expect to find it, but could even be hazardous for those not used to its location. For example, buttons on an automatic transmission shift lever usually control the overdrive-lockout feature or unlock the shift lever itself so that, with your foot on the brake, you can get it out of PARK/REVERSE into NEUTRAL or DRIVE.....or put it back into PARK. Not on this car. Hitting the button instinctively when you are ready to shift will reward you with a stalled engine. Fortunately, with the E63, you have the option of the start button or using a key.....more on that below. The shifter itself, like on other Mercedes and Chrysler products, flips side-to-side in the rearmost Manual-Shift function, rather than the more normal front-to-rear +/-. Nice, firm, short-click silver paddles for shifting are on the steering column. And the steering column itself, unlike other German-designed cars, has nice, firm, solid, high-quality, smooth-operating stalks for the turn-signals and cruise control.....just don't confuse the two, which I did a couple of times until you get used to them. The parking brake is an awkward, step-on pedal with a plastic-tab release lever down under the left side of the dash.

Headroom, with the multi-power-adjustable seats and sunroof, was adequate in front (but remember, I wasn't wearing my usual baseball cap), and just adequate in the rear for large adults. Legroom, of course, up front, was fine, but was tight, along with footroom for my big size 15s, in the rear.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid trunk lid to reveal a roomy, well-finished trunk, although, like on most contemporary sedans, the swept rear roofline cuts into the trunk opening a little. A wagon version with much more rear cargo area is offered on the less-expensive E350, but not the E63 (I've heard rumors that Mercedes is considering an E63 Wagon for the American market, but nothing concrete yet). The black carpeting on the floor and side walls is extremely plush for a cargo area, and 12-volt outlets are built into the side walls. There is plenty of room for any reasonably-sized luggage and packages, and cargo hook/tie-downs built into the left and right-hand rear corners. A fabric net holds grocery bags against the right-sight wall. Twin remote pull-handles release either half of the rear seat....and this cleverly triggers each power-front seat to automatically move forward just enough for the corresponding rear seat to fold down without interference. One major annoyance.....the dummy spare tire/wheel assembly under the floor is one of the quirkiest I've seen. It is only about a foot and a half in diameter, and doesn't appear to be either a dummy spare or a traditional temporary spare, but an extremely thin, almost rubber-band-like, rigid, hard-rubber tire. If actually used, it looks to me like it will place a lot of stress on the rear differential from an extreme difference in the two tire rotations...If it were my car, I'd either get a conventional spare or just wait for the tow truck. The battery for the engine is located to the right of the spare, up against the wall, as is common with some sport-oriented designs, for optimum weight distribution. An optional electric trunk closer shuts the lid for you.

ON THE ROAD:

Starting up the E63 offers one of two choices. You can either use the metal/plastic "key" into a hole in the dash and twist it, traditional style, or use a START/STOP button on the transmission shift lever (I touched on that feature a little above). Using the key disables the button so the two don't work at cross-purposes, but, if you use the button to start the engine, the engine can be inadvertantly shut off again if you forget and instinctively push it when you are ready to shift.....many people are going to do this until they get used to it. (I almost did it myself, and I am used to driving many different cars). Much of this could have been avoided if Mercedes had simply put the button where it belongs.....on the dash, next to the hole for the key fob. I don't now why marketers and designers keep trying to change things that work simply and effectively...much of the time, when they screw with things, they just make things worse.

Anyhow, either way you start it, the big, hand-built 6.3L V8 turns over and idles like a sewing machine, Lexus-like in its refinement. It takes a minute or two, if you are not familiar with the car, to decipher all the transmission functions and settings and get the car into gear. There are 7 speeds, IMO just overkill, Automanual/Sport/full automatic settings, and the usual normal/snow/performance modes, paddle shifters, and VDC and traction control on/off settings. The transmission also incorporates a Speed-Shift feature.

OK, once in gear and the engine warmed up, time for some fun. I was careful with the brand-new, unbroken-in engine, of course, with only 38 miles on it, and kept it below 5000 RPM, but this car was made to haul a**, so I did at least a little hauling. With 507 HP and 465 ft-lbs.of torque, this car, even with its rather tall 2.82 final-drive ratio and weight (Mercedes doesn't publish the weight in the brochure but I estimate 4300 lbs), is a classic powerhouse, though the massive torque is a little on the peaky side and doesn't max out till 5200 RPM. After moderately strong acceleration at low RPMs, get to around 3000-3500 or so and this car takes off like a bunch of illegals running from the Border Patrol...you are pushed way back in your seat, and almost feel like you're in an F-18 being catapulted off the deck of a supercarrier. Though I didn't actually do it, of course, out of respect for the dealership and a brand-new car, had I turned all the electronic traction aids off (that alone, of course, would take a little while) and done a max-performance launch, I think this car would have smoked the rear tires and laid down two thick black rubber strips for at least several hundered feet, just like the old 60's dual-quad Chrysler Hemi I remember with its 425 HP and 490 ft-lbs. of torque. Only the old Hemi got 6 or 7 miles per gallon (or even less) in aggressive driving....the E63 might do twice that, if you are lucky. The Government did not slap a $2100 gas-guzzler tax on this car for nothing. Mercedes itself claims 4.3 seconds from 0-60, even with the automatic, and, under the right circumstances, I think that is valid. You have to be careful with that right foot.....this car will easily get you in trouble with the boys (and girls) with the silver badges.

All that go, with a properly designed sport sedan, means you have to have some whoa...and here, IMO, a little work still needs to be done. The Mercedes-designed brakes (many high-performance cars have have Brembos; Mercedes skipped them for brakes of their own design) have enough stopping power, and, of course, all the electronic braking aids that Mercedes itself helped pioneer, but they are just too quirky for my tastes. The sport-type aluminium pedals are designed well enough, and I don't have any problems with my big shoes catching on them while shifting my foot, but, unlike the super-firm BMW and Porsche brakes, there is a slight sponginess in the first inch or so of travel and a delayed response, then the real braking force sets in. Then, when you let off the brakes, the computer keeps pressure on them and there is a noticeable drag for another one to two seconds before they are fully released. I found this annoying, and remarked to the Mercedes people there about it....I didn't know whether it was defective pistons in the calipers, defective sensors, or if E63s were designed that way. They said it was normal...that is the way the braking computer works. As far as I could tell, this was a normal, full-hydraulic braking system with only electronic sensors, and not the infamous electro-hydraulic brakes that were notorious for defects, poor pedal feel, and numerous customer complaints........Mercedes supposedly doesn't use that system any more, and has even retro-fitted some of the cars that had it.

I've already described much of the transmission shifter's characteristics, hardware, and various buttons/modes, but the transmission itself, as expected from Mercedes, was seamless. It was quiet, shifted smoothly yet crisply and efficiently with no slip, and shifted that way no matter how you used the paddles or lever or just left it in full-auto mode ( I didn't test it under 100% full-performance Speed-Shift conditions; the engine was too new for that). Though it's nice to have a different gear for almost any situation the engine will run into, I still don't really see the need for 7 speeds in this car, any more than I did the 8 speeds in the Lexus LS460 and IS-F....to me, that is just unnecessary overkill and adds to the car's complexity and cost of production.

I expected this car's drag-racing capability, as much has been written in the auto press about the power of AMG engines. What I did NOT expect, and what surprised me some, more than anything else about this car's road manners, was this car's ride comfort. Even with the electronic suspension set in Sport mode. I couldn't believe that these were ultra-low profile 40-series tires up front and even lower 35s in back, on 18-inch wheels.....I had expected something far stiffer. While almost any car rides nicely on a glass-smooth road, this car was actually comfortable over bumps, scalloped pavemant, small potholes, manhole covers, and warped ridges....and I am very sensitive to ride comfort. Re-setting the suspension to Comfort and raising the ride height to give it even more up/down travel only made it that much more comfortable.

Steering response, while good, was not quite to BMW standards, and the power steering feel, while excellent for a Mercedes product, was also not quite up to BMW's superb telepathic feel. But the whole steering system felt smooth and well-integrated with the car...it has a refined feel to it.The power-steering pump has a fairly firm effort, but it feels slightly more artificial than a typical BMW unit, and masks a litte more of what the two front tires are doing from the nerves in your fingers. Body roll was small but noticeable in the Sport setting and a little more, of course, in the Comfort setting. This car will easily keep up with or outrun almost any BMW on the drag strip, but not in the twisties or a slalom course. In turn, you can drive it comfortably over a greater variety of road surfaces. The Mercedes engineers, IMO, have done their homework with this superb chassis...it is a great touring car, and can be driven with great comfort over long distances, yet still is a good but not quite BMW-competent sport sedan on winding roads.

Contributing to that relatively nice ride and comfort is good sealing and effective insulation that shuts out road, wind, and tire noise very effectively, again, something not expected with the aggressive, low-profile tires. This car is basically Lexus-quiet, and, in my experience, rides with about the same low noise level as Lexus ES models, though not quite as tomb-quiet as the Lexus LS460....you have to step up to the Mercedes S-Class models for that. And, because of the effective noise control, only a slight amount of the engine/exhaust note, even under relatively hard acceleration, penetrates the cabin.

THE VERDICT?

This is not a car for thin wallets. Don't even LOOK at it unless you have your house paid off, your kids already through college, your IRA saved up, your Ex-spouse not hitting you with alimony/child support, your credit card paid off, are free of any other significant debts, and have a higher-than-average income to boot. The almost $94,000 list price on the car I reviewed was staggering, though, admittedly, not as staggering as that of even more powerful and absurdly-priced Mercedes S, V12, and V12 AMG models, some of which can reach $200,000 and have 600-700 HP/torque. Still, $94,000 is a LOT of money....and in states like California with high sales taxes, this car can be $100,000 or more out the door. You could buy EIGHT base Kia Rios or Hyundai Accents with the money for this car. Even leases on this car cost big bucks........the dealership I was at offered a lease on this particular car, with $7700 down, at $1000 a month for 36 months. Then, once you cough up what it takes to put this car in your driveway, you have the equally pleasant task of emptying your wallet even more when you fill it up with $4.00 a gallon premium gas....at 12-19 MPG in most non-aggressive driving; even less, of course, with a heavy right foot. Nor will your insurance company be likely to give you much of a bargain on a car like this, either, due to the huge costs of Mercedes parts/repair and its very high power-to-weight ratio.

OK......so the car is expensive to buy and operate, and likely will be unreliable. But, for those of you who are well-heeled enough to get past that hurdle, is it worth it? Only you, ultimately, can make that decision, but here's my overall take:

Mercedes, in the E63, in addition to its always top-notch safety engineering has come up with a superb sport sedan, with even more superb chassis engineering in the ride/handling department, though the steering feel, while very good, is not quite BMW. Few cars, outside of BMWs, have as good a combination of ride/handling as this one does, and, of course, the power height and firmness-adjustment of the suspension offers even more flexibility. Inside, almost every possible power comfort/convienience feature available awaits you.....but, of course, the complexity and sheer number of buttons/controls that all this requires will take some time to get used to and master. This car, in many ways, on the road, offers it all......muscle-car power, luxury-car refinement/quietness, strong but quirky brakes, responsive handling, and Mercedes safety. But it still comes a little short of the typical BMW as a pure drivers' car.....Bimmers, in their Non-Active steering versions, simply have a unique and telepathic feel to the steering and chassis that no other sedan, and few other cars in general, can match. The E63 is set up just slightly more for comfort and quietness, especially with the Comfort setting on the adjustable suspension. So, if you want the most satisfying sport sedan from a driver's persepctive, get a BMW. But, if you want a car that does everything else well, is more comfortable, and almost equals the BMW steering/chassis, then get an E63.

But, like any car, the E63 has its faults, and needs improvement. The rear seat room is not the best I've seen for a car of this size. The 4-year drivetrain warranty is not comparable with even many entry-level cars, much less a car of this price. The engine START/STOP button neeeds to be put back up on the dash where it belongs. A real spare tire/wheel would be appreciated. The transmission is needlessly complex. The quirky brakes could use some reprogramming. The poor reliability record of Mercedes electrical systems does not inspire confidence. And the engineers should consider finding a way to integrate the Mercedes 4-matic AWD system into the E63 so it could offer the Audi Quattro's traction in bad weather.

So there you have it. It's an expensive but extremely satisfying car to drive. As a sport sedan, it equals or exceeds just about everything this side of its own BMW competition....and offers more comfort to boot.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 07:55 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good review, but the big picture makes the article hard to read lol
Old 04-24-08, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Good review, but the big picture makes the article hard to read lol
Thanks. Working on that problem now.....I'll have it fixed in a few minutes.

Sorry, guys, the picture spacing screwed up the right-hand margins. I'll post different shots.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 08:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for reviewing this car. I was waiting for this (see IS-F review) for a while now. Sometimes I get tired of the black interior though. It doesn't look as inviting as tan.
Old 04-24-08, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Awesome. Thanks for reviewing this car. I was waiting for this (see IS-F review) for a while now. Sometimes I get tired of the black interior though. It doesn't look as inviting as tan.
If everything goes well, the BMW M3, by CL request, is next. They are hard to find unsold, though....demand for them is high, with dealer markups.

I also want to review the new Dodge Challenger, not by CL request, but for my own curiosity...and, like the Mustang, compare it to the car I grew up with 40 years ago. They will also be difficult to find unsold and without markups.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-08 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 09:53 PM
LexFather

Great review Mike. IMO, for all intents and purposes, this car is a 10 out of 10. Its perfect in every way for every man.

I find the interior to be fantastic, I love the suede roof. It feels like it weighs 10,000 lbs, rock solid. The ride as you stated, is not harsh at all, quite "Supple". Maybe by sticking with 18s instead of 19s or 20s like everyone else.

It has a high asking price but IMO, well worth it. A good used one will be a STEAL.

Old 04-24-08, 09:59 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations MMarshall on a well balanced review of an amazing car... I owned an E55 for 3 years which was essentially the same car before the 5.5 supercharged engine was replaced with the 6.2 NA unit in the mid life E-Class update. I have also spent time in E63's and other 6.2L engined MB's, though frankly the E55 with its amazing torque was even more fun... (and expensive in rear tires)

From my experience I agree with pretty much all of your observations... especially the coal mine interior with the black birds eye maple wood, and yes that chrome plastic grill! I think though that is driven by pedestrian impact regulations... The old MB cheese graters were pretty unforgiving... To MB's credit I never had any reliability problems at all... In fact my experience was so positive I traded it for a new V12TT S600 which also has presented no problems... From my experience at least it does feel (circumstantially at least) that MB is emerging from its quality rut of a few years back.

Again, good review!

Chris
Old 04-24-08, 10:10 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great review! I use to have a E55 love the touque but never drivin the new 63. the company that I work with in Japan just happen pick up a E63, I was told when I go to tokyo office next month they will let me use that car as loaner
Old 04-24-08, 10:59 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always, a very thorough review. I wish you had the chance to really open up the E63. During my test drive, my dealer had a demo w/ 3k miles that they practically begged me to push to the limit.

I've had my E63 for a little over three months now and have loved every second of it. I actually look forward to my morning commute Your comment about the low ride height made me laugh. I frequently use the airmatic system to raise my car to avoid scraping in steep driveways and avoid hitting those pesky concrete parking blocks. The E63 definitely looks funny in "4x4" mode!

The only negative I have is the outdated COMAND system. Simply put, the navigation system is just plain bad. It is light years behind the nav system in my '06 GS430. I swear it takes me 10 times longer to input a destination compared to the Lexus system.

Surprisingly, my gas mileage in the E63 has been better than expected. It's actually pretty close to what I get in the GS430 in mixed city/highway driving. And as for insurance costs, I only pay $178 more a year compared to the GS430.

I honestly can't find any other faults with my E63. The engine power is simply amazing and the exhaust note at WOT is music to my ears.

Thanks again for the great review. Hopefully you'll get the chance to test the new C63 soon. Can't wait until my dealer gets one in.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 04-25-08 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 11:38 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Nice review, the only thing I have to disagree on is the reliabilty. MB has corrected the reliability problem ever since '06, all the models after that year has been solid and bullet proof. My 03 E class which is one of the earlier production models only had 1 problem I had to take it in for warranty work, the navigation screen was turning on and off by itself. Dealer diagnosed as a broken power switch and replaced the head unit so I basically got a new screen out of that.
Old 04-25-08, 12:41 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I've always loved this car. It's such a great looking vehicle. Even though I'd probably enjoy driving an M5 over this, the E63 looks about 10000000X better
Old 04-25-08, 12:48 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Another FANTASTIC review, Mike.

I'm not crazy about the black roof - I think it ruins the fluid overall color look of cars. Funny how you felt the need to "dress up' for this but not for Lexus.

In any case, I'm looking forward to your M3 review next. I've always been a fan of those.
Old 04-25-08, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Nice review,
Thanks.

the only thing I have to disagree on is the reliabilty. MB has corrected the reliability problem ever since '06, all the models after that year has been solid and bullet proof.
We'll have to wait and see. All M-B products, according to Consumer Reports (I depend on CR more than any other publication for auto reliablity patterns), are still below average for general reliability, some well below. The brand, as a whole, still ranks near the bottom, with Land Rover. Perhaps we will see more improvement in the future, but the general problem has not been licked yet. Of course, the 2008 models are still brand-new, so there is no meaningful reliability data on thm yet. If they have improved, it should start to show up by early next year.
Old 04-25-08, 05:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Another FANTASTIC review, Mike.

I'm not crazy about the black roof - I think it ruins the fluid overall color look of cars. Funny how you felt the need to "dress up' for this but not for Lexus.

In any case, I'm looking forward to your M3 review next. I've always been a fan of those.
Thanks, Liz.

The "black" effect of the roof is actually the Panorama glass and its cover.

Having bought and owned an IS300, I know some of the local Lexus people, but I didn't have any prior experience at the M-B shop I was at, so I had to look presentable. It was no offense to any of the Lexus people.

I may or may not do a full review on the M3.....maybe just a condensed one.
I recently did the 335i, and the M3 is essentially a redone 335 with a firmer suspension, a larger engine, slightly different interior trim, slightly different wheels/tires, some body trim parts, and other minor differences. I'll take a good look at the M3 when unsold ones are available (good luck!). If I feel I is different enough from the 335i, I'll do a full review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-08 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I've always loved this car. It's such a great looking vehicle. Even though I'd probably enjoy driving an M5 over this, the E63 looks about 10000000X better
Both Mercedes and BMW engineers do a fantastic job with chassis engineering, with slightly a different emphasis, of course.

The M5 is probably more suited for twisting roads or autocrossing. The E63 is more of an all-around tourer, but it does a decent job in the twisties....and both of them, of course, will get out of their own way in straight-line acceleration.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG