Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus Presents the Lexus Performance Driving Academy

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 09:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
So the saturday session is like a regular taste of lexus ride and drive.
more than likely imho. to me real car enthusiasts, especially lexus lovers, should go to friday. i missed the driving school couple years ago due to work, otherwise this would be my second time already
Old 04-24-08, 10:09 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

signed up. shern is making me go last though just in case I wreck the car.
Old 04-24-08, 11:29 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me and a buddy are driving from Vegas for the Ultimate. Seems like a once in a lifetime type of thing...half day of instruction and driving the IS-F, two meals, and probably a nice goody bag.
Old 04-24-08, 01:13 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

See ya all on Friday May 30, for the "ultimate" !
Old 04-24-08, 01:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
So the saturday session is like a regular taste of lexus ride and drive.
Correct. You wait your turn which is why there are timeslots to choose from.
Old 04-24-08, 01:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Come on guys, there's still room to do the ULTIMATE event for Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. The Sat/Sun is pretty much book so if you didn't sign up for Sat/Sun by now, you should do the Friday event!
Old 04-24-08, 05:10 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Lexus Driving Academy: the cheapest way to cane an IS F

Posted Today 03:36 PM by Andrew Strieber
Category: Events, Lexus

Many automakers have had great success creating special driving schools -- they can boost a brand's performance credentials, increase owner loyalty, and entice new buyers into the fold. BMW's M School is legendary, but even companies like Saab offer academies where you can try your hand at autocrossing, the slalom, and high-speed driving. And now that Lexus has its own performance sedan with the IS F, the automaker has decided to throw its hat in the driving school ring, too.

The Lexus Performance Driving Academy's basic course is a two hour session held on Saturday and Sunday featuring instruction on performance driving fundamentals, followed by a chance to attack the track from behind the wheel of an IS 250, IS 350, GS 460, and GS 450h. In addition participants get to ride along with a professional driver for a hot lap in the IS F, experiencing Lexus' new performance machine at its limits.

If you have a Friday free you can upgrade to the four and a half hour "Ultimate" session, which offers drivers the chance to take part in a relay rally race, timed autocross, and a lead/follow exercise on the track testing full-on acceleration and hard braking. Oh, and instead of the various Lexus vehicles on offer for the basic course, Ultimate participants exclusively drive the IS F. The program also features hot laps with a professional driver, but more importantly Lexus promises "significant time behind the wheel" of their hot new performance sedan.

To participate in either course you must be at least 21 years-old and have a valid driver's license. No performance driving experience is necessary as both courses can accommodate all skill levels, and you don't need to own a Lexus. Each course includes meals as well as additional snacks and beverages. The company is holding events at locations in Illinois, California, West Virginia, and Georgia between May and mid-June.

As enticing as spending a day pushing an IS F into the triple digits may seem, things start to sound even better when you hear the price. A day at the BMW Performance Driving School will run you $650 (and requires a trip to Greer, South Carolina), while getting the M experience costs a cool $1295. Audi tours the country with an enthusiast driving program, but the half-day class still comes with a $595 price tag. So how much will it cost you to try out Lexus' wares on a track? How about nothing? That's right, though it may last just two hours, the basic Lexus Performance Driving Academy course is free -- and the Ultimate session with the IS F runs just $295.

The original Lexus LS was such a success because it offered an experience similar to German luxury sedans at nearly half the price. Apparently when it comes to driving schools, the Japanese automaker has decided to take the same approach. For more info on the Lexus Performance Driving Academy check out their website here.
Source: http://wot.motortrend.com/6241441/ev...s_f/index.html
Old 04-24-08, 05:26 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

I was asked a few times at the 2007 Taste Of Lexus to "take it down a notch" while test driving most of the cars; most notably the IS350 and LS600H (oh yeah, they didn't appreciate the LS being whipped around the course like a Lotus Exige).

I expect none of that in the Ultimate session this year. I can't wait!
Old 04-25-08, 12:30 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i signed up, and just hope that my high hopes will be somewhat realized from the free activities that we get to do... i've been on a few ride alongs in drift cars and hope that we either get to drive for ourselves or that it will be more exciting than drifting some how... yeah....
Old 04-25-08, 09:52 PM
LexFather

7:30 am in Atlanta. Dave/Krista, Lance and a couple others go at 11:30am

I'll warm up the IS-F for them

Old 04-27-08, 12:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

For those that have emailed/pm'd me for the code, i'm waiting for new ones. Each code is only good for 50 registrations so they go quickly. Stay tuned.
Old 04-29-08, 04:43 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just registered my friend and I for the Atlanta event. Can't wait!
Old 04-29-08, 05:12 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, if there was one near DFW, I absolutely woulda signed up...
Old 04-29-08, 06:44 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the 2 hour Audi Driving Experience last year and got enough driving time in their high HP models to be useful, I signed up again for Miami in 2008. It is open for all.

1. Two hour introductory program (complimentary)

Drivers experience a variety of Audi vehicles including the TT, A4, and Audi Q7 on a number of tracks designed to improve your fundamental driving skills. These tracks include braking, skid control, handling and accident avoidance. Once these fundamentals are established, drivers will lap the road course at the speedway. The most improved driver will get a ride in the R8 on the racetrack.

Program Features:
• Improved understanding of vehicle handling
• Improved braking and accident avoidance techniques
• Learning where to look in an emergency situation
• Controlling a skid
• Understanding quattro and why it gives Audi an inherant handling advantage
• Understanding vehicle capabilities and limits
Old 04-30-08, 12:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

New Code posted as of 4-30-08. See post#1.

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus Presents the Lexus Performance Driving Academy