Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparative Review...2005 Toyota Matrix XR vs. 2006 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 08:35 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Comparative Review...2005 Toyota Matrix XR vs. 2006 Honda Civic EX

ok so here it is...long awaited and many people have asked for it.

To start off, It should be understood that these are 2 entire different vehicles. However, both are in the same class, and price range, as such, when a consumer is looking for a used car, these 2 models would likely be sitting side by side, as both are popular selections with a price tag of under $20,000.

Here are pix of each:

2006-Current Honda Civic EX:

2004-2007 Toyota Matrix XR:

Interior

This is a difficult choice. Both cars (to quote mmarshall) are "built like swiss watches". The Civic seems a lot less "economy" and to be honest, the interior of the Civic screams high end car at every turn. The trim, while plastic, is very solid, and well constructed, as is the trim on the Matrix. However the fit and finish on the civic is just better. The Gauges on the Civic are a very easy to read digital display with the exception of the tachometer. The Matrix, though it has the more traditional analog gauges with needles, are a still easy to read and see Optitronic display. However, the Matrix's gauges can be somewhat painful to look at during long trips at night.

The Plastic trim on the toyota is just a fair bit worse in quality and fit than in the honda, but the honda seems to lack in the practicality of storage space. In the honda, while abundant, the storage space can be awkward to get to and takes some getting used to to be able to access it while driving. The toyota, while not as abundant, has storage space that is easy to get to and doesnt pose a hazard to access while driving.

The Matrix says practicality and utilarian value at all angles, the rear seats fold down to offer a HUGE cargo area, the rear cargo area is riddled with all kinds of hidden compartments. The rear seats stow flat to reveal a heavy duty plastic flat floor thats perfect for loading small TV's and certian tools. The car itself is just a tad on the small side for loading lumber, its not wide enough for a standard sheet of plywood, but 2x4's can be slung out the rear hatch, which has a window that opens separately of the hatch, a nice feature not available on some hatchbacks.

The Civic, while great for hauling your friends around, leaves quite a bit to be desired when compared to the matrix as far as cargo room goes. and rightly so, one is a hatchback/wagon, and the other is a sedan...but even as sedans go, the Civic EX has a fairly small trunk. However, the rear seats have leg and head room abound...very comfortable, not what you would expect from a compact.

The seats in the Civic are extremely comfortable for long trips, while the front seats of the matrix will leave you with a backache after about 4 hours of driving. The Sound system in the matrix leaves alot to be desired, its a standard Delco Radio out of the pontiac vibe. though it does have a 6 CD changer, the civic comes with an XM/MP3/4 ready premium sound system with an In line Amplifier, 8 cd changer, 8 speakers (1 in each door, 2 in rear deck, and 2 tweeters in the dash by the windshield), and an AUX port for your Ipod/mp3 player. Not to mention the sound quality is infinitely better in the civic.

Performance

Performance wise, the civic has it hands down. when compared to the AWD Matrix, there is no comparison, the civic EX will out accelerate and outrun the matrix (excluding the 180hp XRS model). The ONLY advantage to the AWD on the matrix over the FWD in the Civic is the AWD is better in snow. That isnt to say that the honda doesnt hold its own in bad weather, but anytime you have 4 wheels driving, its better than 2. but the civic will run circles around it in the dry weather. however, in the twisties, the matrix will eat the civic alive. understeer is the worst enemy of a car in the twisties, and the civic has an abundance of it.

Fuel Economy
I averaged 17mpg in the city in the AWD matrix. for a 4 cylinder, small car, that fuel economy is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. From my understanding, the FWD version of the matrix with the auto trans still only averages about 23mpg city, which is still unacceptable by compact car standards. For Fuel economy, the civic takes it hands down (DUH)..with an average of 30 city and 40 hwy in the auto model, if you want fuel economy, you got it.

Reliability

Both cars seem to be very reliable from the reviews i have read. i got a bad one, things started going horribly wrong at around 30,000 miles. I cant speak for the civic, i havent had it long enough.

Road and wind noise

Wow, where do i start. The honda wins this one too...the matrix has low road noise if you get the right tires, but because there is little sound deadening insulation, if you dont spend nearly $200 a tire, you are gonna be humming along the road. the honda, even with 63 dollar a piece goodyear eagle RS-A's on it, rides with the finesse of a higher end acura, and if you do what i did and pop for a good set of 50,000 mile touring all seasons (Bridgestone Turanza's) or put the $200 a piece goodyear assurance tripletreads on, it will approach, dare i say it, Gen II LS4 sound levels...which are near 0.

Wind noise, again, the civic wins, but this is hardly a fair comparison, the matrix has a much higher profile, and as such, moves alot more air.

so here is the raw data that i have collected:

Matrix XR 4wd

0-60: 8.8 seconds

0-100: *yawn* maybe tomorrow

Mpg: 28 hwy, 17 city

Civic EX:

0-60: 7.8 seconds (est)

0-100: havent tried yet (guessing around 15-17 seconds)

Mpg, 30 city, 40 hwy

So, in conclusion, which vehicle one would choose, would end up being a choice of what you want. Both are available with moonroof/nav/leather, and other features...so it will ultimately depend on who wants what. For me, comfort and fuel economy take precedence over cargo space and "wow" factor...so the civic was the choice i made.
Old 04-14-08, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice job, ArmyofOne. You've described these two cars pretty well. I did a formal review of the 2006 Civic EX, and more recently the Civic Hybrid. I've driven a standard FWD Matrix (one I checked out for a friend's purchase, but not long enough for a review.

Did your 2006 Civic EX have a jumpy electronic throttle starting from rest? That's one thing I noticed on the automatic-transmission one I drove.

The 17 MPG in city stop/go traffic you got with your AWD Matrix, with naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder AWD cars, is about right...I get 16-18 in dense city/suburban traffic with my Outback, and mid-20's (sometimes more) in highway cruising. AWD, especially with small engines, takes a toll in acceleration and mileage....but there's nothing like it for sure-footedness on wet and slick roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-08 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 11:04 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice review. Good have have owned both cars so you can give a real world long term review. So far nothing has gone wrong with my in-laws 06 Matrix, but they haven't reached 30K miles either. Will have to keep an eye on it and see if they start having any problems as the car gets older.
Old 04-15-08, 06:35 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice job, ArmyofOne. You've described these two cars pretty well. I did a formal review of the 2006 Civic EX, and more recently the Civic Hybrid. I've driven a standard FWD Matrix (one I checked out for a friend's purchase, but not long enough for a review.

Did your 2006 Civic EX have a jumpy electronic throttle starting from rest? That's one thing I noticed on the automatic-transmission one I drove.

The 17 MPG in city stop/go traffic you got with your AWD Matrix, with naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder AWD cars, is about right...I get 16-18 in dense city/suburban traffic with my Outback, and mid-20's (sometimes more) in highway cruising. AWD, especially with small engines, takes a toll in acceleration and mileage....but there's nothing like it for sure-footedness on wet and slick roads.
yes, mine has the jumpy drive by wire. you get used to it tho. and its great for burining rubber if you wana put your foot all the way down
Old 04-15-08, 07:09 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the Matrix at all. No comparison to the Honda. The quality of the Matrix is horrible. My friend bought one two years ago and he asked me to change the oil on it. Lots of main parts were made in Mexico, etc, etc. I just didn't like the car at all IMO. Apparently he didn't either because he sold it within 1.5 years. I wouldn't even think twice to get it over the Honda.
Old 04-15-08, 08:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Nice comparison. Good to hear real world owner experiences.

The Matrix is decent as a 'stuff hauler' and as you say, AWD is nice, but man, that fuel economy is bad!
Old 04-15-08, 10:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I don't like the Matrix at all. No comparison to the Honda. The quality of the Matrix is horrible. My friend bought one two years ago and he asked me to change the oil on it. Lots of main parts were made in Mexico, etc, etc. I just didn't like the car at all IMO. Apparently he didn't either because he sold it within 1.5 years. I wouldn't even think twice to get it over the Honda.
I only had mine for 2 years, and like 1 month. In its defense, compared to the fords i had previously, the matrix had some good quality (remember the ford contour, yeah...i had the gen I), and the matrix was a solid car. i could see it having AMAZING applications in the fleet world, expecially for couriers who haul alot of boxes or parts that are above average size. and with the AWD, the car has some fun factor, but when compared to the honda, it just isnt built as well.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice comparison. Good to hear real world owner experiences.

The Matrix is decent as a 'stuff hauler' and as you say, AWD is nice, but man, that fuel economy is bad!
it got really good mileage for an AWD on the freeways, i went from upstate NY (30 mins from canada) to Dallas TX on $180 in fuel. gas was around 3.10 a gallon (3.30 when i left here). but in town, id rather have a tacoma.
Old 04-15-08, 10:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just for comparison, I regularly averaged 30mpg in 40% city / 60% hiway driving with a/c in a base Pontiac Vibe automatic (FWD) which is just a rebadged Matrix. I only owned in about 2 years but never had a problem after about 30000 miles.

I loved the car for its huge cargo carrying capabilities and good MPG.

The new matrix looks a LOT BETTER...way better than the 2008 Fit or 2009 Fit.

Last edited by bagwell; 04-15-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 10:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

0-100 in 15-17 seconds? No way. The DX/LX/EX civic runs the 1/4-mile in high 16s if it's lucky... low 17s most likely... and it'll be doing around 81-82 mph... meaning it's still many seconds away from hitting 100mph at that point. I'd guess 22-24 seconds before it hits 100... maybe more.
That 0-60 time is also not going to happen in an auto civic EX... more like low 9s, really, unless you're talking about a manual trans and/or an Si.

I've been thinking about buying a practical beater when the lease on my 335i is up... drive the wheels off of it for the next decade or so. Just to be more financially responsible and maybe someday buy a Vette that can be a third vehicle.

I really like the current Civics and it's high on my list of considerations to replace my 335i. I doubt I'd buy one used as I think the market has a very over inflated value for them.

I also have a hard time believing the Civic is capable of anything remotely close to gen-2 LS noise levels. But it's good to hear that it's at least acceptably quite, as the previous gen was unacceptably loud, even for an economy car.

Last edited by Threxx; 04-15-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 10:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the Honda Fit is more of a competitor for the Matrix...but it sure is funky..

Old 04-15-08, 10:33 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised the fuel economy is that bad. My '00 Celica with the same 1ZZ engine easily netted me over 30mpg in mixed driving.

Other than that, let's just say the Matrix you reviewed was a great car when it was released but is now properly superseded by the newer generation cars. Don't know how much of an improvement the new Matrix is though.
Old 04-15-08, 10:38 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Threxx
0-100 in 15-17 seconds? No way. The DX/LX/EX civic runs the 1/4-mile in high 16s if it's lucky... low 17s most likely... and is still several seconds away from hitting 100mph at that point. I'd guess 20-21 seconds.

I've been thinking about buying a practical beater when the lease on my 335i is up... drive the wheels off of it for the next decade or so. Just to be more financially responsible and maybe someday buy a Vette that can be a third vehicle.

I really like the current Civics and it's high on my list of considerations to replace my 335i. I doubt I'd buy one used as I think the market has a very over inflated value for them.

I also have a hard time believing the Civic is capable of anything remotely close to gen-2 LS noise levels. But it's good to hear that it's at least acceptably quite, as the previous gen was unacceptably loud, even for an economy car.
Like i said, im nowhere near an expert on writing car reviews.

as far as last gen civics, this new one is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the last one. period. I drove one with a set of goodyear assurance triple treads, it was an 07 EX, and while driving, without looking at the tach, if it wasnt for the scenery going by around me, i wouldnt have known i was moving. For what its worth, when i was going to get my civic from the dealership (they needed to detail it) i got a ride there in a 1997 LS400...then i got in the civic...the interiors dont compare, the LS is of course the winner there, but when i was driving down the road in my "new" civic, even with the cheapo goodyear eagle RS-a's, i couldnt hear them. the ride wasnt as smooth as an LS, but it wasnt harsh either...but for 13,900 dollars, i cant complain.

similiarly, i was sitting in the parking lot with my engine running the other day, i think i was reading my owners manual, and i reached down to turn the key because i forgot that i turned the car on, thankfully i had noticed the RPM's before i turned the key. point is, that if you dont remember your engine is running, its almost impossible to hear from inside the car.

another key feature is there seems to be little-no loss in performance with the air conditioning on.

Originally Posted by bagwell
just for comparison, I regularly averaged 30mpg in 40% city / 60% hiway driving with a/c in a base Pontiac Vibe automatic (FWD) which is just a rebadged Matrix. I only owned in about 2 years but never had a problem after about 30000 miles.

I loved the car for its huge cargo carrying capabilities and good MPG.

The new matrix looks a LOT BETTER...way better than the 2008 Fit or 2009 Fit.

yes but with the new matrix (i have seen and driven one) you lose ALOT of cargo room compared to the older version, however the fit and finish is infinately better.

as far as MPG goes, the AWD system adds 500 lbs, AND there is 10 less HP than the FWD version. to top that off, there is also a smaller tank in the AWD to make way for the driveshaft and transfer case (2 gallons smaller). the AWD requires 20% more power than the FWD version, and it had 10HP less to pull that 20% from. this is gonna sound horrible, but the AWD 0-60 times were in the high 10's low 11's every time i took them. thats horrible, even for a nearly 3000 lb car. the car was clearly designed with utility in mind, but they kind of got it backwards because one of the key points that a courier looks for in a car, is fuel economy.

having said that, the FWD's are probably on par with the industry average. but if you need the AWD and the cargo space, skip it and get a tacoma crew cab or something similar.