Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Partial Review: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 09:09 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're correct....NAV apparantly is not an option. But XM, as such, doesn't exist any more....they merged with Sirius. As far as HID's go, I myself would just as soon not have them...they are very expensive to replace if the warranty is expired.
Well I have only XM now, the two companies have proposed a merger, but it still faces regulartory hurdles. I just want satellite radio, I don't care which company it is. And I only keep my cars for 2-4 years so HID life expectancy is not a worry for me. I just find the light to be safer/superior.
Old 04-17-08, 09:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
Well I have only XM now, the two companies have proposed a merger, but it still faces regulartory hurdles. I just want satellite radio, I don't care which company it is. And I only keep my cars for 2-4 years so HID life expectancy is not a worry for me. I just find the light to be safer/superior.
Those regulatory hurdles were passed a few weeks ago. Not that it makes any real difference... the two companies have stated that no XM or Sirius radio will be obsoleted... they'll both continue to be able to receive their broadcasts for years to come.

The lack of a nav option in the G8 is a very valid concern IMO.

Lack of XM is also very strange. I would put money on it that it will be made available for 2009.

HID lights? Not really something you can reasonably assume or expect, IMO, at this price point. Not yet, anyway.
Old 04-17-08, 09:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Theres also another version of G8 that is going to be introduced soon, the GXP, and I'm seriously considering it. Apparently its going to be under 40k still, come with a 6.2 liter engine, and most importantly it will not have drive by wire, a feature I can't stand.
Old 04-17-08, 09:35 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Theres also another version of G8 that is going to be introduced soon, the GXP, and I'm seriously considering it. Apparently its going to be under 40k still, come with a 6.2 liter engine, and most importantly it will not have drive by wire, a feature I can't stand.
It'll have the 6.2L LS3 V8... same motor used in the Vette though detuned to run on regular gas and produce a little over 400hp. Upgraded suspension and braking hardwear.

I'm actually hoping the price will stay around $35k for the GXP... we'll see. That'd be a heck of a bargain if it was.
Old 04-17-08, 05:25 PM
LexFather

I guess its just me but I'd rather a company spend the money on a V-8 and RWD platform instead of some gadgets in the car like NAV, fancy stereo etc. Sell me a CAR first, then add the gadgets.

For 28-32k, this car is just a GIANT bargain. Nothing comes close on paper, IMO.

Old 04-17-08, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

For 28-32k, this car is just a GIANT bargain. Nothing comes close on paper, IMO.
The Charger R/T?

Of course, it is a Chrysler product, with the typical junk interior and hardware.
Old 04-17-08, 05:49 PM
LexFather

The Charger R/T?

Of course, it is a Chrysler product, with the typical junk interior and hardware.
I find the G8 interior superior, so its a better buy, though the Charger R/T is a performance bargain. The image kills it for me and I'm not enamored with the looks.

Can't wait to drive one!

Old 04-17-08, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I find the G8 interior superior, so its a better buy, though the Charger R/T is a performance bargain. The image kills it for me and I'm not enamored with the looks.

Can't wait to drive one!
If you get a chance, write the experience up.....we'll end up splitting the review.

In the meantime, of course, I will drive one if/when I can.
Old 04-17-08, 06:47 PM
LexFather

If you get a chance, write the experience up.....we'll end up splitting the review.

In the meantime, of course, I will drive one if/when I can.
Hmmm, let me know when your gonna get your hands on one and I'll try to do it the same weekend

Old 04-17-08, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hmmm, let me know when your gonna get your hands on one and I'll try to do it the same weekend
It will be posted. I've already promised to update the review with a test-drive when the over-protective, nanny dealerships here turn them loose.
Old 04-17-08, 09:53 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
Those regulatory hurdles were passed a few weeks ago. Not that it makes any real difference... the two companies have stated that no XM or Sirius radio will be obsoleted... they'll both continue to be able to receive their broadcasts for years to come.

The lack of a nav option in the G8 is a very valid concern IMO.

Lack of XM is also very strange. I would put money on it that it will be made available for 2009.

HID lights? Not really something you can reasonably assume or expect, IMO, at this price point. Not yet, anyway.
Well the DOJ approved the merger, but the FCC also has to approve it as well. There are also some states that are opposed. I can only assume that the lack of nav and XM are because the car was not designed for the American market. It's still a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-17-08, 09:59 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I guess its just me but I'd rather a company spend the money on a V-8 and RWD platform instead of some gadgets in the car like NAV, fancy stereo etc. Sell me a CAR first, then add the gadgets.

You're right on the performance front, but this car would serve as a tourer and a day to day commuter. I need the best of both worlds. I just don't get why they don't have these as options. It's not 1999, it's 2008!
Old 04-18-08, 03:52 PM
seethurya
Driver School Candidate

You're correct....NAV apparantly is not an option.

The sole reason NAV isn't offered factory, is the radio is too low for Federal requirements when it comes to NAV units. And GM would have had to redesigned the entire dash to have a navigation unit meet federal standards.

Even though, you essentially have a navigation unit without a navigation program to run with the G8. It comes with the same 6" lcd screen used in Holden Commodore's for navigation. Since the unit uses the ever so popular SD card for navigation, it will be easy to get a US map card and be good to go! So if you want navigation in your G8, get a SD card.

http://www.sso.siemensvdo.com.au/fil...Navigation.pdf

http://www.southgate.com.au/pr09.htm

Last edited by seethurya; 04-18-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 04:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really enjoy your reviews. Much appreciated
Old 04-18-08, 07:39 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by seethurya

The sole reason NAV isn't offered factory, is the radio is too low for Federal requirements when it comes to NAV units. And GM would have had to redesigned the entire dash to have a navigation unit meet federal standards.

Even though, you essentially have a navigation unit without a navigation program to run with the G8. It comes with the same 6" lcd screen used in Holden Commodore's for navigation. Since the unit uses the ever so popular SD card for navigation, it will be easy to get a US map card and be good to go! So if you want navigation in your G8, get a SD card.

http://www.sso.siemensvdo.com.au/fil...Navigation.pdf

http://www.southgate.com.au/pr09.htm

Well it's good that you can do that, but how/where would the antenna be mounted? It will never look factory. And again, I don't understand why the oil/battery gauge is in the middle like that. Why is it not located in the instrument panel? That's a terrible waste of space. And I HATE the center mounted window switches! Reminds me of a PT cruiser.

Other than that I really like the car.

Quick Reply: Partial Review: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT