Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which is better, Vtec or VVTI...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 12:27 AM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better, Vtec or VVTI...

I drive an LS 400 pre-98 so I dont have the VVTI engine, but I did test drive a 99, (has it for the newbs), and fell in love with it. Ive driven my friends 01' Acura CL type S with 3.2L Vtec and it seemed pretty fast as well, but it was 2 door and less weight. Im on the fence here about either one.
Old 04-12-08, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

VTEC and VVTi are similar and both great ways to improve both fuel economy and performance, but I wouldn't decide a car on one vs. the other.

And an LS vs. an Acura CL ... well, there's no comparison.
Old 04-12-08, 08:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Gotta love that V-teched TSX with decent HP and no torque......not.
Old 04-12-08, 08:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree with paul. idea behind the two systems are similar, and i think both are great stuff. to me i can't say which one is better
Old 04-12-08, 08:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Speaking of VVT-i, I believe the 2nd gen GS300 has the 2JZ-GE engine with VVT-i added? How come it didn't get a power bump from 1st gen GS300 or NA Supra?
Old 04-12-08, 09:45 AM
LexFather

I believe its i-Vtec now?

I like V-tec b/c they sell more stickers and they have more funny pictures on the internet lol..

Both systems are very very good, IMO.

Old 04-12-08, 10:20 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Vanos is better.
Old 04-12-08, 10:26 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I think Vtec was the first variable valve timing and lift control mechanism out at its time?

NSX started using this technology in 1990 and VVTI was introduced in 1996.

I think vtec is superior to vvti.
Old 04-12-08, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I think Vtec was the first variable valve timing and lift control mechanism out at its time?

NSX started using this technology in 1990 and VVTI was introduced in 1996.

I think vtec is superior to vvti.
Correct, NSX was the first and amazing to have that tech in 1990. However, Vtec kicks in after a certain RPM range, VVTi is continuous, thus VVTi would be better. For instance VVTi added 40/50 hp from the same 4.0 V-8 in the SC/LS in 1992.

I believe i-Vtec is now continuous so its similar to VVti thus today I don't see one having an advantage.

Old 04-12-08, 10:44 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an Integra GSR with B18C5 motor, the 2 step Vtec, which unlike other Honda vtec made for fuel economy, will give you a sudden bump in HP once it go after certain RPM. It was kind of exciting to drive, but after a while, I get tired of the sudden push, and its requirement of high rpm.
Whereas VVTI, it is so smooth and you don't even feel the change, which I like better, the smooth and linear feel.
Old 04-12-08, 10:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

and I also drove I-Vtec cars, Honda made it a lot more smoother than Vtec, so now IVTEC and VVTI get more similar to each other.

But LS4 and CL??? I don't even have to choose.
Old 04-12-08, 12:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I like VTEC for aggressive fun driving.

But for all around power, VVTi is great.
Old 04-12-08, 04:05 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Correct, NSX was the first and amazing to have that tech in 1990. However, Vtec kicks in after a certain RPM range, VVTi is continuous, thus VVTi would be better. For instance VVTi added 40/50 hp from the same 4.0 V-8 in the SC/LS in 1992.

I believe i-Vtec is now continuous so its similar to VVti thus today I don't see one having an advantage.

Actually, VTEC was first used in Honda motorcycles, but in the case of Honda automobiles, the first to have VTEC was actually the 88 JDM spec 1.6 Integra and/or JDM CRX.

Anyway, VTEC and VVT-i are not apples to apples. If you want to compare VVT-i to something from Honda, you have to compare it to i-VTEC, and they are still not 100% comparable. You'd have to compare i-VTEC to VVT-iL. Now those are comparable as they to virtually the same thing.

Here is my breakdown, and anyone can research it themsevels.

VTEC > VVT
VVT-i > VTEC
i-VTEC > VVT-i
VVT-iL = i-VTEC

Here is my reason. VTEC varies valve lift and duration, but not cam phasing. VVT-i does not vary valve lift, but varies cam phasing.

i-VTEC now varies cam phasing.
VVT-iL now varies cam lift.

As for how VTEC feels, it just depends on how Honda decided to tune it. On the GR-R and other Honda cars it was almost like and on off switch. You felt the transition. On the NSX, you barely felt VTEC at all. It was tuned for a much smoother transition.
Old 04-12-08, 07:12 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Gotta love that V-teched TSX with decent HP and no torque......not.
Haha. I read that from the factory, the TSX purposely has a dip in HP right before v-tec engages to stimulate the effect of the v-tec kicking in.
Old 04-12-08, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Actually, VTEC was first used in Honda motorcycles, but in the case of Honda automobiles, the first to have VTEC was actually the 88 JDM spec 1.6 Integra and/or JDM CRX.

Anyway, VTEC and VVT-i are not apples to apples. If you want to compare VVT-i to something from Honda, you have to compare it to i-VTEC, and they are still not 100% comparable. You'd have to compare i-VTEC to VVT-iL. Now those are comparable as they to virtually the same thing.

Here is my breakdown, and anyone can research it themsevels.

VTEC > VVT
VVT-i > VTEC
i-VTEC > VVT-i
VVT-iL = i-VTEC

Here is my reason. VTEC varies valve lift and duration, but not cam phasing. VVT-i does not vary valve lift, but varies cam phasing.

i-VTEC now varies cam phasing.
VVT-iL now varies cam lift.

As for how VTEC feels, it just depends on how Honda decided to tune it. On the GR-R and other Honda cars it was almost like and on off switch. You felt the transition. On the NSX, you barely felt VTEC at all. It was tuned for a much smoother transition.
Did you have to bring up bikes. I was waiting for you to post, I agree 100% with your assesment.

Quick Reply: Which is better, Vtec or VVTI...