Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Special Review: 2008 Lexus IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Special Review: 2008 Lexus IS-F

By widespread CL request, a special review of the 2008 Lexus IS-F

http://www.lexus.com/

http://www.lexus.com/isf/isf/fstory.html?s_ocid=pdsrch

In a Nutshell: The most Un-Lexus of Lexuses.

I had originally planned to wait until December of this year to do the IS-F review. Every holiday season, of course, I do a special review of an upmarket vehicle of more or less widespread interest at CL. I figured this December it would be the IS-F (last December, you'll remember, I did a double review of the Infiniti AWD M45X and RWD M45 Sport). Well, the IS-F is of such widespread interest at CL, both among Lexus and BMW fans (and others), and with the good number of IS-F review requests I got, even from some CL moderators/staff, I decided now was the time. You guys wanted one...you got one.

Some of you guys, of course, have already seen it, or maybe even driven it. Ryan (flipside909), with Lexus marketing, no doubt saw it long ago on the West Coast before it was introduced nationwide.....I wouldn't be surprised if Henry (rominl) and Liz (AsianGirl007) did also. Mike (1SICKLEX) has already had a turn behind the wheel at a Lexus meet some weeks ago.....and was quite impressed. A few others here and there have also seen it or driven it. I, myself, first saw it in pictures long ago, and got my first real glance of it at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show this January (it was up on the turntable, not on the floor, so I couldn't examine it closely). I looked at one closely last week at a local Lexus dealership, but things just didn't quite come together enough for a real review or test-drive (I posted about that). Today, happily, they did. I stumbled across a couple of unsold ones that were not in the showroom.....they were on the lot ready to drive. So, drive, I did, and it's time to write the car up.

The IS-F, of course, owes its existance today to several things. First, of course, was the relative success of the original IS300, a derivitive of the 3.0L straight-six Toyota Altezza (the 2.0L IS200 was sold on some non-U.S. markets). The original IS300 did not sell in the large numbers that its brother ES300/330 did, and did not make a huge dent in sales of the BMW 3-series that it was designed to compete with, but DID do well enough (except for the ill-fated Sportcross hatchback) to give it a secure future (in fact, I owned an IS300 myself). So, Lexus marketers felt that new versions, with a 2.5L V6, AWD and the larger 3.5L V6, were warranted. Second, of course, was the continuing popularity of the BMW M3. The M3, like the all-new IS-F, is new and redesigned this year, with, for the first time, a V8. So, to compete, Lexus marketers naturally chose the company's 5.0L V8 for the IS-F, rather than a turbo or supercharged 3.5L V6. Third (and certainly not least) was the continuing cry from Lexus fans like you, and on other Lexus forums, for a purposely-done Lexus performance division in the mold of the BMW M division, Mercedes AMG, Chrysler/Dodge SRT, Chevrolet SS, Ford SVT, Cadillac V, and Audi S and RS......vehicles especially designed and reworked for maximum acceleration, braking, and handling. You guys asked; the Lexus marketers listened; here, friends, is the result:

Let's do it.

Model Reviewed: 2008 Lexus IS-F

Base Price: $56,000

Major Options:

Preferred Access Package $310

Destination/Freight: $765

List Price as Reviewed: $57,075

Exterior Color: Matador Red Mica (You have to see this color to believe it...it is gorgeous)

Interior: Black Leather

Drivetrain: RWD, 5.0L, longitudionally-mounted, naturally-aspirated, DOHC, VVTiE V8, 416 HP @ 6600 RPM, 371 Ft-lbs. torque @ 5200 RPM,
8-speed automatic Sport-Shift transmission.

PLUSSES:

Strong, classic muscle-car power, but with somewhat peaky torque.

Silky but crisp-shifting automatic transmission in full auto and auto-manual modes.

Brembo Brake package has firm pedal and effective response.

BMW-like steering and handling.

Tenacious tire grip (within the limits that I drove it).

Well-done road and wind noise isolation for this type of car.

Mirror-like paint job.

Excellent, cradle-your-a** front seats.

Complete set of dash gauges means no guessing.

Well-done interior buttons, dials, and controls.

Killer Stereo.

Well-finished, well-equipped trunk.

Excellent leather quality and feel.

Smart-looking, classy silver carbon-fiber console and door trim.

Solid, well-done exterior hardware.

Solid, heavy doors.

Interior hardware quality seems to be somewhat improved over IS250 and IS350.

Gorgeous Matador Red and Ultrasonic Blue paint colors.

Attractive white backlit speedometer/tachmeter with bright blue needles.

Lack of spoilers and boy-racer add-ons lessens visibility to traffic cops, especially in the duller paint colors.

Exclusive set of owners (as of now) vs. the much more common, everybody-has-one BMW M3 crowd.

MINUSES:

Strong acceleration requires relatively high RPM for torque peak.

No manual transmission available for purists.

8 speeds in the automatic transmission is overkill.

Awkward, step-on parking brake.

Protruding lower dash interferes with seat adjustment for some people.

Front seats unsuitable for extra-wide people.

Harsh low-profile tires and suspension suitable only for smooth roads.

Like other IS models, Gremlin-sized rear seat suitable only for kids.

Relatively tight headroom front and rear.

Black leather interior has too much black monotone for my tastes.

Small, inconvienient glove box button/lock.

RWD and high power usually not suitable for slick roads even with electronic traction aids.

Underhood access a joke.

Not as expensive as BMW M3, but still rather pricey.

Presently (as I write) relatively hard to find at dealerships.

Low ground clearance from with lower-body panels means care over speed bumps and angled ramps.

EXTERIOR:

The first impression of this car, as you walk up to it, is, of course, that of a regular Lexus IS, but with larger wheels, ultra-low-profile tires, a slightly lower stance (amplified by the low air dam and body skirts), different hood and front fenders (more on that below), and four large stacked exhaust openings in the rear instead of one or two. There are no spoilers or garish boy-racer stripes, flares, etc.... to scream "Look at Me" to traffic cops, so to some extent, you could call it a "sleeper"....it's not going to look like a Shelby Mustang or Dodge Viper coming down the street (I only say this in an objective sense, of course, not to encourage speeding or aggressive driving). So, basically, it looks like a slightly lowered and elongated IS350....with some modifications.

The paint job, as with any Lexus product, is best described as mirrorlike, especially in the darker colors. No one else in the industry, especially among mass-produced cars, paints a vehicle like Toyota/Lexus, though recently a few other manufacturers like Audi and Infiniti have come close. Gloss, evenness, smoothness, freedom from orange peel......there's nothing like a Lexus paint job. Some people claim (perhaps with some truth?) that German paint is more durable and more chip-resistant, but for sheer looks, I'll take a Lexus paint job. The Matador Red Mica that Lexus uses on both the new IS-F and some other Lexus models is especially attractive and well-done...my test car had it. I never liked the fact that Lexus dumped the Solar Yellow color for the IS300/SportCross after a couple of years (my old IS300 had the yellow paint), but the Matador Red certainly is a worthy replacement for it. Also of note is the bright ultrasonic Blue....the rest of the IS-F colors are the usual white, silver, gray, and black.

All of the exterior trim is well-done and with durable hardware, although I didn't think the IS-F's special grille in front was quite as classy or as well-done as the wire-mesh screen on its Cadillac CTS-V competitor. The twin outside mirrors are somewhat different from those on the old IS300...they sit farther out from the body, swivel around more, and let air pass through the space between the body and mirror housing. Ordinarily, that would mean wind noise, but I didn't notice any on the test-drive...more on that below (this car has a top speed of 170 MPH, so, obviously, I wasn't going to hunt for wind noise on top-end either). All four doors felt strong, well-made, and solid......though they look the same as before from the outside, Lexus seems to have made some changes to the inner door construction from the IS2250 and 350. Their doors, at least to my senses, didn't seem to have as solid a feel. The four big 19" alloy wheels and ultra-low-profile 40-series Michelin Pilot Sport tires fill up the wheel wells almost to the point where they look overstuffed. The huge Brembo brake rotors are vented and drilled, front and rear, but, for some reason, Lexus chose to paint the usually red Brembo calipers black and put the Lexus logo on them instead. The exhaust exits under the rear bumper with four chrome, vertically stacked outlets, rather than
the more commonly used horizontally used one.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the nice, gas-strut-supported hood to a nice engine whose underhood access is just about impossible. First, the relatively big 5.0L V8 is shoehorned in pretty tightly, and is somewhat displaced rearward for better weight distribution (the hood and front fenders, besides the bulge andscoops, appear to have been lengthened slightly over the IS250 and 350 to accomodate the larger engine). As in other new Lexus models, a huge plastic top-engine cover blocks access to almost everything on top, with only an oil dipstick and filler cap protruding. The engine fits in too tightly to reach anything of consequence on the sides of the block, the battery is far back up against the firewall on the left (again, for weight distribution), and the intake-air ductwork, air filter housing, radiator/fan hardware, and other plastic trim pieces take up just about all of the remaining space. Do NOT expect to be a weekend shade-tree mechanic with this car, except for maybe the simplest of oil changes. It is obviously a technician-only car
in the service bay.

INTERIOR:

Open the nice, solid doors, get in, and inside, you are greeted with some very nice features and some not-so-nice ones. The first thing you notice, of course, when you sit down, is the driver's seat.....smooth, soft, plush, just gorgeous-feeling leather (though I generally prefer cloth in hot and cold weather). The leather that Lexus uses in their products, IMO, is far nicer than the rough, grainy leather you find in many German cars, although opinions differ on which one is more durable in the long run. The seat shape is substantially different, and more accomodating, than that of the lesser IS250 and 350...its cushion and side/rear bolsters cradle you and hold you like a hand in a silk glove....which you will need with the g-force cornering this car is capable of. With my 6' 2", 260 lb. frame, I was right on the limit of the size person that could fit in without being squeezed by the bolsters....if my torso was any wider, it would have been pinched. Somebody 20-30 lbs. thinner than me would probably be just perfect. The seat appears to also be well-made...it did not feel loose or creaky, had good power-adjustment hardware, and, as expected of an upmarket sports sedan, quite a wide range of adjustments. Headroom in front, with the standard sunroof and housing, was rather tight, but I could fit in with my cap if I lowered the bottom seat cushion all the way and raked the seat back slightly.....but this was obviously no Chevy Suburban. Unfortunately, with some people (I was one of them) when you get the power seat and steering adjusted where you want them, the lower part of the front dash protrudes slightly and grazes your left knee (similiar to the first-generation Cadillac CTS). This is even worse when you have to lift that knee to press down on the awkward, inconvienient foot-operated parking brake, although the memory-position seats/steering wheel help somewhat by remembering where you set them when the ignition goes on and off. Many people, though, if not most, will have no problem.

In front of you lies the power/tilt/telescope wheel with leather wrapping just as nice as what is on the seats. As is usual nowadays, multi-function buttons line the spokes. Behind the wheel lie a set of nice, attractive, clear, white, back-lit gauges with bright blue sweep-needles. Electronic bar-graph oil-temperature and voltmeter gauges combine with analog fuel and coolant temperature to give you an almost full, no-guess, information panel for the engine (Subaru and Toyota, are you listening?) Only the oil-pressure gauge is missing...an idiot light. All of the controls, buttons, dials, and switches are clear, easy to read, well-designed, and feel at least fairly durable, but the lighter-grade materials used for some of them over the original IS300 is noticeable. The silver carbon-fiber-pattern trim on the center console, around the shifter, and on parts of the door panels is nicely done and has classy looks (though I usually prefer wood trim). The medium-gray, painted-plastic trim on the center-dash, though better then in some Toyota products and not the worst I've seen, IMO is not as nice as the silver carbon-fiber. All of the interior hardware feels almost first-class if not first-class.....a noticeable improvement over the first redesigned IS250s and 350s a couple of years ago. Though the hardware was good, I didn't care for the design of the glove box button and lock....a small push-button that is hard to see and reach at a glance. The stereo, like that of most Lexus products, is a killer (just perfect for my KISS, AC/DC, and Heavy Metal stuff), and, in the non-NAV version in my test car, had fairly easy-to-use controls. The center console has a nice, sliding cubby-cover that feels and and latches like it is on lubed roller-bearings.

The Munchkin-sized rear seat, though, with the same super-nice leather as up front, is, like the IS250 and 350, best left for children and very small adults. The seat itself is not that small, but the main problem is that there is a severe lack of foot and legroom that makes getting in and out all but impossible for normal-sized and larger adults. Headroom, under the sunfoof housing, is also tighter than up front....and the front headroom, of course, was not that good to start with. Consider this car a 2 + 2 in its seating....and put something down to cover that nice leather in back if you're going to carry kids. Leather that nice should not be on the receiving end of ice cream cones, spilled drinks, and half-chewed bubble gum.

All in all, a mixed bag inside. The black-leather interior, I thought, was not as nice as the two-tone interior with black/off-white leather seats. The monotone black, though interupted by the nice silver-carbon-fiber trim, gray plastic, and chrome door handles, was a little too dark and coal-mine-like for my tastes.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The fastback roofline and C-pillar, naturally, limits the side of the trunk opening, as it does on many of today's sedans, but most reasonably-sized packages and bags shouldn't be any problem. The trunk itself, irrespective of the opening, is actually pretty roomy, (the squared-off rear end of the trunk here helps), and the trunk is finished in a typically nice, plush grade of dark gray Lexus carpeting. The rear seats, unlike some sedans, don't fold down, but a small pass-through opens up to accomodate long, narrow items like skis (though one is not likely to take a RWD, low-winter-traction car like this to very many skiing areas). The traditional, leather-wrapped, Lexus First-Aid kit lies in a small compartment on the left, and a large plastic cover trim piece on the right, though I couldn't figure out what the cover was for. Under the floor lies a jack and temporary spare tire, which was interesting, considering that the Lexus people there at the shop said that the IS-F comes with run-flat tires. Spare tires, of course, are usually not needed with run-flats.....you just limp along at 50 MPH or less (for a reasonable distance) to the nearest dealer or tire shop and get it fixed or replaced. Perhaps Lexus felt (with some justification) that the ultra-low-profile tires would not give the alloy wheels much protection over potholes, and some wheels could be damaged as well. I couldn't tell from the stock 19", 40-series Michelin Pilot Sport tires if they were run-flats or not.

ON THE ROAD:

Here's where the fun starts.

Foot on brake, Start up the 5.0L V8 with the START button and the key/fob in your posession (the metal key inside the fob pops out for use as an emergency door unlock). The engine fires up turbine-smooth and quiet, Lexus-style, as the bright aqua-blue sweep-needles do a full range, come to rest on the white gauges, and the bar-graph instruments light up. Slip the smooth, silky-operating shifter into action and take off. Give the engine a couple minutes to warm up (the coolant-temperature rises much faster then the oil temperature), look for a break in traffic, and then punch it.....with some common sense, of course, and respect for a new, unbroken-in engine. The torque and exhaust drone is moderate at first, and you get a mild shove in the back at lower RPMs, and then a BIG shove right around 4000 RPM and a much louder exhaust drone as the computer cuts in with the high-flow fuel injection. It reminded me, very much, of the old 60's vintage muscle cars I grew up with and remember so well, where the carburator secondaries would cut in at mid-RPM's (some of those gas-drinkers had triple 2-barrel and even double 4-barrel carburation setups). Peak torque of 371 ft-lbs. in this engine comes at a rather high (for a V8) 5200 RPM...I took it to about 5000, not wanting to abuse a brand-new engine (the dealership was very considerate in giving me this car, and I wasn't about to tear it up).

The transmission, typical for Lexus, was smooth and quiet, yet still shifted crisply and efficiently, whether in full automatic mode, manual-lever, or with the shift paddles. Unlike BMW, the paddles are marked (+) and (-) for shifting. This is a conventional torque-converter automatic, yet, even with the weight and drag of the torque converter, which of course, blunts some engine power, Lexus claims a 4.6 second 0-60 time on a max-performance launch, which, of course, I didn't do. If you can find a legal (and safe) place to do it, those young guys in stock Mustang GTs with their caps on backwards will probably not put you down in this car (I've driven Mustang GT's).

However, the transmission, fine as it is, seems to me to be a little overkill with its eight speeds (similiar to the LS460's eight-speed transmission except that this one is, of course, performance-tuned). I didn't see where the LS460 really needed eight speeds, except to out-brag Mercedes and its seven speeds on paper, and I feel the same way about the IS-F. This engine clearly has enough torque, especially at 4000 and above, that five or six speeds would be sufficient, and even that only for crusing and gas mileage. The difference in RPM drop in shifts between the eight-speed and a five or six-speed would be minimal in close-ratio comparison, and the torque could easily handle it. In addition, it would lower the cost of this car's production...my car listed for over 57K. A five or six-speed conventional manual would also be ideal in this car, especially for purists and those used to driving BMW manuals, but Lexus does not currently offer one. My guess is that we may see one next year or in 2010, but that may depend on what BMW does down the road with the new M3 (the LS-F's primary competitor, of course). Even BMW now seems to be moving away from straight manuals, though I understand one is on track for the new M5.

When it's time to slow down, those big Brembo vented, drilled rotors and calipers dissipate speed in a hurry (again, I didn't use them quite full-force). The pedal had a super-firm, BMW-like feel that is most unusual for Toyota/Lexus products and their usual brake-pedal sponginess. Brembos have an excellent reputation (they are used in many high-performance and exotic cars), and it is little wonder Lexus engineers chose them for the IS-F. Why they then chose to cover them up with black Lexus paint and logos is beyond me. At least for the limits in which I tried them out, these brakes approach Porsche response level....and Porsches are mid/rear engine cars with ideal weight distribution for braking. And the brake pedal is well-designed for big feet.....my size 15 clown-shoes did not hang up under either it or the gas pedal while trying to shift my foot and brake (that happens with some vehicles).

The fun doesn't stop with the engine and drivetrain either...this car also has an excellent, though not quite BMW-superb, chassis and steering. The power steering is easily, without question, the best, firmest-effort, and most communicative I've ever seen in a Lexus product, and approaches (but doesn't quite equal) BMW's superb, tactile-feel steering.....the industry standard. The handling is delightful, with ultra-quick steering response, firm, flat cornering, and almost zero body roll. The steering, like with BMWs, aims the car right where you point it, and, for the most part, you can tell where you are going from the steering feel alone. Very close to, but not quite, the equal of the Bimmers.

On a smooth road, the chassis also comes very close to BMW standards, with good composure and almost neutral handling, although, like all front-engined
cars there is a slight amount of understeer....even BMW Ms understeer to a slight degree. Body roll, as I mentioned above, is almost nil, and the 19-inch wheels and 40-series Michelin Pilot Sport tires grip like on rails, at least to the limits that I drove them. This car should do very well in autocrossing, slalom runs, or on a road course.

But all of this, of course, assumes a smooth road.....and here is where the BMW chassis engineers still one-up their counterparts at Lexus. BMW's acheive a superb combination of ride/handling......IMO the best in the industry. They can steer and handle like race cars, yet still manage to give you some amount of ride cushion and bump absorbtion, if small. Not so with the IS-F. The stiff suspension and aggressive, low-profile tires on the IS-F that give you that great steering and handling do not, like on BMW's, cushion bumps with any significance.....on a bumpy road, the IS-F has its work cut out for it. Ride motions over bumps and road imprefections were stiff, continuous, and porpoise-like...you were continually bounced up and down in your seat like an airplane in minor turbulence (yes, I'm a licened pilot too). This is a great car for smooth roads....but keep it on smooth roads if you want max driving pleasure out of it. I don't recommend it on choppy roads, especially for long distances where you will get fatigued with the stiff ride.

Other than the stiff ride, the road manners at cruise were quite nice.....this is, after all, a Lexus, if a rather harshly-sprung one. Wind noise, drive train noise (except for the aforementioned hard-throttle accedleration and exhaust noise over 4000 RPM), and road/tire noise were all quite subdued....a nice accomplishment considering the aggressive tires. Lexus vehicles are known for their ride quietness and effective noise isolation, and, even in this purpose-built road-burner, it still shows.

THE VERDICT?

This car obviously breaks new ground for Lexus. It is the first of the performance-based F series (with probably more to come), the first to approxomate BMW in chassis and steering effectiveness (though the suspension still needs work on rough roads), and the first Lexus to offer a true alternative to the BMW M3. IMO, It trumps the BMW in the slickness of its paint job, the look and feel of the interior leather, the quality of its electronics (a known BMW weak point), the design and usefulness of the interior controls, and in sound isolation for everyting but full-throttle exhaust noise. Is it worth what it it costs? only you, as a car shopper, can decide that for yourself, and note that neither this car nor the M3 is cheap.....the M3 costs even more, and often has dealer markups as well (the Lexus shop I was at today offered me this car for list price). Of course, I was testing this car for you guys, not myself. This is not the kind of car (or price range) I would have as a daily driver.....and its winter traction would be much too poor, even with the many electronic traction aids.

But for those of you guys (and I know there are plenty of you in CL) who were waiting for the first true high-performance Lexus....here it is, with its good points and its bad points. I've done my best, in the review, to try and separate what I consider the good points from the bad ones....you are free to agree or disagree. The rest is up to you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-08 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 08:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been waiting for this review for quite some time, especially from one of the most unbiased reviewers we have on CL.

Any chance you'll be test driving the Mercedes C63? It seems to be the closest to the IS-F in terms of luxury/performance.
Old 04-09-08, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've been waiting for this review for quite some time, especially from one of the most unbiased reviewers we have on CL.

Any chance you'll be test driving the Mercedes C63? It seems to be the closest to the IS-F in terms of luxury/performance.
Thanks. First chance I've had to drive one.

I'll do the C63 if they allow test-drives......but I have several CL requests for the Pontiac G8 GT first.
Old 04-09-08, 08:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice review mmarshall. I really like the IS-F a 6spd MT would have been a nice touch.
Old 04-09-08, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
Nice review mmarshall. I really like the IS-F a 6spd MT would have been a nice touch.

Thanks.

Have you driven one? It's a ball on smooth roads.
Old 04-09-08, 08:32 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review! A C63 and M3 review would be nice too.
Old 04-09-08, 08:46 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent review. I only was able to sit in one and check it out in a showroom environment. Never got to actually test drive or even fire one up.
Old 04-09-08, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Perfection
Great review! A C63 and M3 review would be nice too.
Thanks.

The C63 is on the list (see above). The M3 will depend on availability of test-droves. Most of them come in pre-sold, with big markups. I did drive the last M3...haven't had a chance on the new one, but I found the new turbo 335i very impressive, and (probably) a good alternative.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-08 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Excellent review. I only was able to sit in one and check it out in a showroom environment. Never got to actually test drive or even fire one up.
Thanks

If the roads are rough in Hawaii (and I hear they are), this car is not well-suited to them anyway.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 08:54 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

AMAZING review MMarshall. Read every single word...great review. IS-F has been very impressive. Job well done Lexus. Extremely informative. As for the M3; I'm still waiting for my delivery date. Would love for you to a review on it, as well, whenever you get the chance.
Old 04-09-08, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOL!
AMAZING review MMarshall. Read every single word...great review. IS-F has been very impressive. Job well done Lexus. Extremely informative. As for the M3; I'm still waiting for my delivery date. Would love for you to a review on it, as well, whenever you get the chance.

Thanks. A number of people were waiting for the IS-F review.

I plan to review a new M3, but, of course, they are first going to go to people like you who have deposits and signed purchase orders.

(And congragulations on your purchase).
Old 04-09-08, 10:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome review!

One question though, did you get a chance to test the IS-F in FULL manual mode with the paddle shifters? Also what VDIM setting did you test the car with? Were you able to try the VDIM Sport Mode in combination with full manual mode?
Old 04-09-08, 10:09 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Hopefully one day you can also do a review on a car like the Audi R8 if they ever let you drive one. Or the Porsche Cayman. I'd like to hear your comments on the different driving characteristics between mid engine cars and front engine cars. I've driven mid engine cars and love the driving dynamics of them. That is why my ultimate sports cars are always going to be mid engine from now on. However, that is not practical for many, so it would be good to hear an in depth review from someone like yourself as to what you may or may not be giving up by buying one of these High Performance Sports Sedans/Coupes as opposed to a true weekend warrior mid engine sports car. Or even compared to a Corvette ZO6.
Old 04-09-08, 10:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thank you for the detailed review!!! I enjoyed reading it! I think it sums up the IS-F quite well. Hopefully Lexus can build upon this vehicle and make the F-series cars quite successful.

And thanks for doing the review for CL folks; hopefully the dealership finds a customer for that Matador Red IS-F soon as well.
Old 04-09-08, 10:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice review, I just saw a white IS-F 2 days ago, I was pretty surprised especially since I have yet to see a IS350 on the road, every IS I have seen has been a IS250.

Quick Reply: Special Review: 2008 Lexus IS-F