Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any Volvo S60R owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 11:55 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Volvo S60R owners?

I'm considering adding a Volvo S60R. I've done my fair amount of researching but Consumer Guide Automotive shows it's a "Best buy" where as Consumer Report shows it as one of the least reliable...

This particular one I'm looking at has full warranty (free parts, free labor) up to 2010 or 100k miles but I'm gonna ask the dealer tomorrow for the "fine prints". Seems like too good of a warranty tome

I really don't care what the magazine says too much but was wondering if anyone here had any actual ownership experience and could share their experience.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-08, 11:59 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend just picked up one about a month ago.
He seems to love it.
Old 04-06-08, 02:56 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a S60r owner but I'm a new owner of a C30. Aside from little annoying things to be expected from a euro car it's been pretty solid. Come visit the swedespeed forums to learn more. One thing is on volvo's if you've got a good one it'll last you forever. If you have a bad one, run as far as you can from it. lol
Old 04-06-08, 06:02 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Koma
My friend just picked up one about a month ago.
He seems to love it.
has your friend had any issues yet??

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm not a S60r owner but I'm a new owner of a C30. Aside from little annoying things to be expected from a euro car it's been pretty solid. Come visit the swedespeed forums to learn more. One thing is on volvo's if you've got a good one it'll last you forever. If you have a bad one, run as far as you can from it. lol
well, this one has 100k miles/10year full warranty. So if we do have a bad one...I'll just put Volvo on speed dial lol. jk, we'd probably get another one then. And thanks for Swedespeed link!
Old 04-06-08, 06:25 PM
LexFather

*Stands up and Raises Hand*

Mike is a huge fan of this car.

*Sits back down*

Old 04-06-08, 07:00 PM
proximal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're getting the automatic, get a later car with the six speed auto. If you're getting the manual, you are awesome.

Problem areas seem to be the angle gear and overheating of the Haldex AWD system. The second issue shouldn't even come up unless you're on the track for an extended period of time and if you are then I believe there's an aftermarket cooler that can be installed.

The leather used in the interior is untreated and is meant to develop an "aged" look rather quickly. Thus, how new the leather looks is not a good indication of condition in this car.

I am a really big fan of this car and would have bought one over my IS350 if I could've found one with a six speed manual (I did find one- two weeks after I bought my IS). Good looking inside and out, powerful, and comfortable. Quite nice to drive as well, in a Nerf M3 sort of way.
Old 04-06-08, 07:04 PM
LexFather

Old 04-06-08, 07:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Never owned one, but I did drive quite a few of them when I was at Volvo. Very awesome cars and very underrated. Its one of my favorite sleeper cars. Quick vehicles, sporty, AWD is a plus, nice simple interior. They havent been extremely poor reliability wise, but they arent stellar either. I would say better than your average German vehicle though. Most common problems were small electronic gremlins (software issues), a couple had turbocharger issues, axle problems, but most of the problems seemed to come from the adjustable suspension in 2004-early 2005 models.

I would avoid 2004 models as they had the most problems. More current models seem to suffer from software issues, rattles, and a few early maintanence problems which could be a headache.

With that said, I would still purchase a V70R 6-speed. Awesome wagons!!
Old 04-07-08, 04:41 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
*Stands up and Raises Hand*

Mike is a huge fan of this car.

*Sits back down*
The "R" of the Volvo has always been one of my favorites also. We saw one for a good price, and we need a new car so figured, why not?

Originally Posted by proximal
If you're getting the automatic, get a later car with the six speed auto. If you're getting the manual, you are awesome.

Problem areas seem to be the angle gear and overheating of the Haldex AWD system. The second issue shouldn't even come up unless you're on the track for an extended period of time and if you are then I believe there's an aftermarket cooler that can be installed.

The leather used in the interior is untreated and is meant to develop an "aged" look rather quickly. Thus, how new the leather looks is not a good indication of condition in this car.

I am a really big fan of this car and would have bought one over my IS350 if I could've found one with a six speed manual (I did find one- two weeks after I bought my IS). Good looking inside and out, powerful, and comfortable. Quite nice to drive as well, in a Nerf M3 sort of way.
Thanks for the advice! errrr, forgot about this whole early model issue that's typical to European cars. I want the manual with that weird designed console but the primary driver will be my g/f and she prefer it be a slushbox. And I really wish I could find that gorgeous saddle leather interior but the one we're looking at is a black leather interior. I'll have to see what you mean by the aged look.
and track use ey? hmm....Volvo S60R with adjustable suspension and Brembos at the track...(goes check how much a tranny cooler is lol)

Originally Posted by GFerg
Never owned one, but I did drive quite a few of them when I was at Volvo. Very awesome cars and very underrated. Its one of my favorite sleeper cars. Quick vehicles, sporty, AWD is a plus, nice simple interior. They havent been extremely poor reliability wise, but they arent stellar either. I would say better than your average German vehicle though. Most common problems were small electronic gremlins (software issues), a couple had turbocharger issues, axle problems, but most of the problems seemed to come from the adjustable suspension in 2004-early 2005 models.

I would avoid 2004 models as they had the most problems. More current models seem to suffer from software issues, rattles, and a few early maintanence problems which could be a headache.

With that said, I would still purchase a V70R 6-speed. Awesome wagons!!
Underrated, yes. But that's why it's so cool! I'm worried about reliability but hopefully this 100k miles/10 year warranty will transfer for not too expensive. I know it's not a Lexus so it'll probably have stupid electronic glitches here and there but as long as there isn't some catastrophic failure, we'll be happy. Are software glitches resolved by updating the software?
Also, how bad are the 2004s? The one we're looking at is a 2004 Adjustable suspension...sounds like a PITA. I work on my own cars but I seriously don't want to to work on this car. Latitudinally mounted inline5 turbo with 5AT and Haldex AWD...I don't even know how they crammed all that in there.

Keep'em coming guys! Thanks again!
Old 04-07-08, 05:24 AM
Koma

Well he crashed it recently and is getting it repaired. A pedestrian jumped out in front of his car, he has to pull some evasive maneuvers. He hasn't had a complaint about the car itself though, he has a 6spd manual 2007.
Old 04-07-08, 05:27 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Koma
Well he crashed it recently and is getting it repaired. A pedestrian jumped out in front of his car, he has to pull some evasive maneuvers. He hasn't had a complaint about the car itself though, he has a 6spd manual 2007.
[shakes head] i sure hope they didn't make it the driver's fault. I wish we could afford an 07
Old 04-07-08, 05:36 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
[shakes head] i sure hope they didn't make it the driver's fault. I wish we could afford an 07
Well the pedestrian didn't bother to stop, our school isn't in a nice area. The other day, I was pulling through an intersection and I was waiting to let some pedestrians cross and when I saw my chance to pull out, I did. A person decided that I was in the way of the cross walk and they slammed their hand on the trunk of my car and yelled "You got in my way!"
Old 04-07-08, 08:56 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a buddy that just got one of these in white. SWEET CAR! I'd definitely pick one of these up if I was in the market.
Old 04-08-08, 11:52 AM
kit cat

test drove it yesterday...
-awesome seats!! i want them for my 2GS
-EDFC like shock contollers were cool...wonder if they ever break?
-Brembos did stop but not like "oh ****" stop
-more than enough power for daily use. hopefully the turbos wont break with proper care
-no power steering adjustments!
-great car over all, love how subtle it is.

still looking for inputs if anyone has any
Old 04-08-08, 02:26 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this guy is selling his on Ebay..absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Any Volvo S60R owners?