Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fake cop in Honda Accord police car pulls over real cop

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Post Fake cop in Honda Accord police car pulls over real cop

Issue 43 in the series "You know what brand car it was before you clicked the link"

Fake cop in Honda Accord police car pulls over real cop

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ima...6/fe1afmk5.jpg

A 70-year-old man was arrested Saturday on suspicion of impersonating a police officer after he tried to stop a real, off-duty officer for speeding.

Watch Tribune reporter Nicole Beyer's report

The car and equipment used by Charles Grubbs was so convincing that the real officer, David Bishop, thought for a moment that Grubbs was on the job, Gilbert police Sgt. Mark Marino said on Monday.

“The officer wrote in his report, ‘I thought I made a mistake and this appeared to be a legitimate law enforcement officer,’” Marino said. He added that Bishop was initially worried because he had baited Grubbs to stop him by driving in excess of the speed limit.

But when Grubbs got out of his car, the real officer knew he wasn’t legitimate.

“(Bishop) identified himself as an officer and this other guy went, ‘Oops,’” Marino said of Grubbs.

Impersonating a police officer is a felony, Marino said.

Grubbs was arrested on suspicion of impersonating a police officer and then released pending a review of the case by the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office.

Grubbs told ABC-15 News he didn’t pull over Bishop, but he chased him down because he was going 65 mph in a 45 mph zone. Grubbs said his vehicle is a Honda Accord he bought in Florida. He also said he had been in law enforcement at one time.

Grubbs couldn’t be reached for further comment Monday.

Before Bishop spotted Grubbs’ vehicle Saturday, Gilbert police had received reports of a car resembling a police unit seen around town.

Marino said there were no reports of anyone getting pulled over by someone impersonating an officer until Saturday at noon when Grubbs pulled over Bishop.

Bishop was on his way to work when he spotted the black-and-white vehicle.

It was equipped with front and back flashing lights, a radio antenna and air horn.

Old 04-05-08, 09:13 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL reminds me of that other post about police takin the cars used in street races and turning them into cop cars...

he got owned...

but honestly if any car besides those crown victorias, and now dodge charger tries to pull me over and claims to be a "cop" i wont stop until i see some choppers over head. could be some crazy killer.
Old 04-05-08, 10:13 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that the police car is a Honda should be a dead give away that he wasn't a legit cop. Then again most people won't look at what kind of car it is, they'll just look for the paint job and flashing lights.
Old 04-05-08, 11:08 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I saw that trying to pull me over...id just have to outrun him.

People...
Old 04-05-08, 11:12 PM
buchum
Intermediate

LOL at that dude. He's must have been bored haha
Old 04-05-08, 11:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
he got owned...
I'd reconsider the statement about who got owned. That guy in the Accord could end up in prison. Using license plates sure beats MAKING them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-08 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 11:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Now wait a second. He said he was chasing a cop that was OFF DUTY and going 65 in a 45. Will the officer OFF DUTY be charged with speeding is what I want to know.
Old 04-05-08, 11:27 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by ecr527
The fact that the police car is a Honda should be a dead give away that he wasn't a legit cop. Then again most people won't look at what kind of car it is, they'll just look for the paint job and flashing lights.
In CA we have more than just those two cop cars, in my city they use Sequoias, CHP has Camaros and Boxsters and another city close by has Wrx's
Old 04-05-08, 11:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Now wait a second. He said he was chasing a cop that was OFF DUTY and going 65 in a 45. Will the officer OFF DUTY be charged with speeding is what I want to know.
Probably not. The only witness was not legally a law-enforcement officer...he could (maybe) make a citizen's arrest, but that would not negate the fact that he was impersonating an officer. You can't legally write up a speeding ticket unless you have a legitimate badge and a means of actually documenting the speed.

The sad fact is that cops often speed and get away with it. Though there are a few honest ones, (I know one cop who ticketed HIMSELF...that's rare), cops, in general, don't ticket each other for it (it invites retaliation, especially from cops of higher rank), and it is very difficult for a non-cop to do so.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-08 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 12:07 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Must be a nice perk to be above the law....
Old 04-06-08, 06:17 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the picture, he even added the tear-drop spot light on the driver's door. LOL

Hey Honda, are you listening? Here is your Police Interceptor package!
Old 04-06-08, 07:33 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
believe it or not, i've seen a real Honda accord cop car here in ca. it seem to be an undercover car. it had all the lights but inside the car. i was turning into a street and i notice the Accord along with 2 other regular cop cars surrounding another vehicle.
Old 04-06-08, 07:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

to be fair, in so-cal, cops usually let you speed about 10mph above the speed limit on the hwy. I routinely see cops in the middle of a pack going around 75 w/o repercussions...they usually just ticket you if you are weaving or going 80+.
Old 04-06-08, 08:21 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
In CA we have more than just those two cop cars, in my city they use Sequoias, CHP has Camaros and Boxsters and another city close by has Wrx's
pics of said boxster and wrx, please
Old 04-06-08, 09:50 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

google is your friend

Quick Reply: Fake cop in Honda Accord police car pulls over real cop