Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Motor to raise Fuji Heavy Industries stake to 17 percent

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 09:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Toyota Motor to raise Fuji Heavy Industries stake to 17 percent

Toyota Motor to raise Fuji Heavy Industries stake to 17 percent

TOKYO (Thomson Financial) - Japan's largest automaker Toyota Motor Corp. has decided to boost its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. from 8.7 percent to around 17 percent, the Nikkei reported on Wednesday without citing sources.

The Nagoya-based Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people ) will buy 64.25 million shares in the maker of Subaru brand vehicles for some 30 billion yen, the business daily said.

These shares, which account for 8.2 percent of Fuji Heavy's outstanding shares, are currently held by the company as treasury stock.

The deal is expected to be scrutinized by the Fair Trade Commission, the report said.

But Toyota currently has no plans to turn Fuji Heavy into an equity-method subsidiary, keeping its stake under 20 percent, it said.

Toyota will also consider subcontracting production of cars, centering on subcompact mass market models, to Fuji Heavy's factory in Ota, Gunma Prefecture.

In addition, the two companies will jointly develop a sports car and other new models as well as environmental technologies.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx4842041.html
Old 04-01-08, 09:09 PM
LexFather

Oh wow....lets see what comes from this...

Old 04-01-08, 09:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, this gives a lot of credibility to the rumoured Toyota/Subaru sports car. Toyota would not raise their stake in Subaru unless they were planning closer collaboration with them. Great to see Toyota making good use of their stake. I've long respected Subaru's engineering prowess so this looks like a good relationship between the two companies.
Old 04-02-08, 06:42 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

You not I was thinking, the Tribeca is hurting because its a relatively new SUV out there, but it isn't exactly fuel savy. Why not throw hybrid synergy drive in there and attract some buyers?
Old 04-02-08, 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You not I was thinking, the Tribeca is hurting because its a relatively new SUV out there, but it isn't exactly fuel savy. Why not throw hybrid synergy drive in there and attract some buyers?
I think Subaru is hurting in general because no one really knows much about them other than having AWD standard.

If Subaru touts its technology, performance, gas efficiency, and safety (is it gas efficient and safe? ); I think they'll catch attention. Until then, Subaru has a lot to change with its public image.
Old 04-02-08, 09:03 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Now if Subaru now can engineer their AWD system to fit into the current ES 350....
Old 04-02-08, 12:18 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Subaru is hurting in general because no one really knows much about them other than having AWD standard.

If Subaru touts its technology, performance, gas efficiency, and safety (is it gas efficient and safe? ); I think they'll catch attention. Until then, Subaru has a lot to change with its public image.
Oh Subarus are quite safe. They all have 5 star crash tests, IIHS top pick gold and the Tribeca took the title of best SUV test crash ever from BMW in 2006.

I think they are really hurting from the new EPA tests. They don't meet CAFE standards where as before they were good for 30 mpg. My own does 32 mpg hwy. But if you get a turbo Legacy its rated at 24 hwy. Too much boost at 80 MPH.

They really need to beef up their advertising and let people know they these are safe, powerful, reliable cars. Kinda like how people have caught on to Audi, minus the reliability thing.