Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dinan tuned 335i

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 11:13 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather get this, the m3 is ridiculously ugly.
Old 03-28-08, 11:17 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a "little" more..

base M3 = $53975

Old 03-28-08, 12:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverBull
These cars are sweet. I am going to trade up my IS350 for a 335i or Audi S4.
You mean trade down.

... Nah, if you're looking for aftermarket options and a lot of speed, that's definitely not a bad direction to go. I wouldn't get an S4, though.
Old 03-28-08, 01:02 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The adjustability of the driving parameters on the M3 i.e. suspension, gearing via the I-drive interface, banshee like V8, hand assembled motor, sets it apart from the 335.
Old 03-28-08, 01:06 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

... Wait, gearing? Come again?
Old 03-28-08, 01:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
... Wait, gearing? Come again?

] Variable M differential lock.
The variable, speed-sensing M differential lock on the rear axle ensures that BMW M vehicles handle with the best possible traction even in highly demanding driving situations.

A conventional differential lock transmits the overall drive power to the wheels depending on the momentum and forces conveyed by the wheel running on the more slippery side i.e. with a lower frictional coefficient.
Wherever this frictional coefficient is particularly low, for example on snow, gravel or ice, the lack of traction means that overall drive power is dramatically reduced.
The Variable M differential lock offers a decisive advantage even if the wheels are running on totally different surfaces with a very significant difference in their frictional coefficient. If there is an increasing difference in the speed of rotation on the two drive wheels, the system responds by increasing locking action. As a result, the wheel under less load - for example the inner wheel in a bend on a fast serpentine road - can no longer cause an overall drop in drive force. Forward drive power remains fully available.
In extreme cases, up to 100% of power can be channelled to the wheel with the better grip. In winter, this results in a significant boost to traction. The variable M differential lock ensures that BMW M vehicles handle with remarkable sure-footedness and deliver excellent driving stability.
All of which varies depending upon adjustments made via

M Drive

An optional feature that offers a comprehensive array of choices when it comes to personalizing your M3 driving feel. Normally, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) helps to deliver optimal traction; but with M drive, DSC can also be set to track oriented M Dynamic Mode (MDM), which allows for more wheel slip and yaw angle. Optional Electronic Damping Control (EDC) can be set to comfort, normal or sport, depending upon your preferred handling settings and the surface of the road. Also engine response can be tweaked via a button in the center console which calls up normal, sport or sport plus programs.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...e/Default.aspx
Old 03-28-08, 01:51 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am only considering the S4 after a friend convinced me to check out the Audi. It was more pricey and isn't Rear wheel drive. So less fun can be had while driving it I think. However, the NA V8 is nice in terms of reliability and not overheating. There is no replacement for displacement right? Still the Dinan 335i is a tough deal to beat in my view. In order to get an M3 that has all the options you are spending 70k+. Compare that with a 48k 335i + 1,500 bucks for Dinan reprogram. This a 20k difference easily not counting sales tax.
Old 03-28-08, 02:04 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
All of which varies depending upon adjustments made via

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...e/Default.aspx
How does this actually change the gearing?
Old 03-28-08, 04:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
How does this actually change the gearing?
When I say gearing I am referring to the differential and the way it will behave depending on the adjustments made via M drive. You guys had in your minds adjusting the "gear ratio". I should of been more clear in explaining Gearing, gears =differentential in car speak. The M drive adjustments will alter the LSD effect on the M3. The 335 does not have an LSD at all.
Old 03-28-08, 06:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

335i, 335i w/ Dinan, M3 - all GREAT cars.

I wouldn't do Dinan because it's going to affect the reliability one way or another. I wouldn't do the M3 first year. So I'd go for 335i - it's PLENTY fast enough.
Old 03-28-08, 06:29 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

M differential is just LSD. M drive does not change the differential raito. The M differential will function i.e. it will lockup upto 100% with or without the M drive. To me that M drive is pretty much useless gadget. Electronic Damping Control is much more useful but M drive specially since it comes only as part of Technology package is not worth $$

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
When I say gearing I am referring to the differential and the way it will behave depending on the adjustments made via M drive. You guys had in your minds adjusting the "gear ratio". I should of been more clear in explaining Gearing, gears =differentential in car speak. The M drive adjustments will alter the LSD effect on the M3. The 335 does not have an LSD at all.
Old 03-28-08, 08:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I wouldn't do Dinan because it's going to affect the reliability one way or another.
Well, one good thing is that Dinan is able to maintain factory warranty with their modifications. It does not affect the powertrain warranty negatively.