Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 135i test drive

Old 03-27-08, 09:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The true facts are Lexus in general is more reliable than BMW. BMW itself is less reliable, but in no way unreliable. BMW's are not breaking down and leaving you stranded on the road every week. In fact, that chance is low. It will have issues, but mostly little annoying issues.
Old 03-27-08, 10:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Some people can use a plastic bag to cover the face up and still go for it.
You can still see through the plastic bag....and how long do you keep the bag on???

Congrats to those getting the 1 series, but I still can't understand why get it over the 335i besides being somewhat cheaper (no need to explain )
Old 03-27-08, 10:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Mike, Let's be clear here,
1. I am a BMW fan (yes, I like their cars a lot)
2. I am not oblivious to their issues (my 550 has had several)
3. I sure hope that I have never portrayed their cars as totally reliable. But they are not the POS that many members of this board make them out to be. The fact is they are above average and the people here on CL tend to think they are worse than a Land Rover.

Every high tech car has issues - yes even Lexus now. You can't get away from it, the more technology a car has, the more issues it will have. Now that Lexus cars have serious technology, they are having serious issues. Welcome to the BMW/MB club

Agreed - they purchase them for other reasons. But people who shy away from them because "BMWs are not reliable" are misinformed.

60%+ I believe is the number. Anybody know what the Lexus# is?

Please don't confuse maintenance with reliability.....

A big part of owning a luxury car is the scary maintenance bills (trust me I know, I owned two Lexus vehicles at one time). With a BMW this is not a worry. But seriously, if you wanted to combine Maintenance with reliability, the worst thing BMW did was include their maintenance as they increased service intervals with the introduction of free maintenance and we all know that that does NOT help reliability...

Once again, I think we know each other pretty well, so I'm going to assume that you are not talking about me here - cause I know you would call me out on this if I ever did it.

No, but my BMW vehicles have never stranded me - as opposed to my wife's RX300 that left her stranded

No way, my 1977 Pontiac LeMans was worse than my GS430....

Very true.

Let's be real here, B is the more probable answer - very few of us here would argue that a BMW will be less troublesome in the long run. But I can purchase an extended warranty OR maintenance on my BMW at the 3.5 year mark through BMW as a current owner. I'm not sure Lexus offers that (and maybe they don't need to).

Agreed.

In the end here, my comment was about the people on this board who continually bash BMWs because of their horrible reliability e.g. " my roommate had a 3-series and it was always in the shop"......

The fact is, they are more reliable than most people here give them credit for.

Another fact is that a similar Lexus vehicle will be more reliable. I don't argue this - but what I do argue is when someone claims that "Lexus has no issues and will run forever." As mentioned, Lexus vehicles are getting more and more technology and therefore have more and more issues. They are FAR from perfect although probably one of the better attempts at making a car bulletproof (my experiences notwithstanding).
Doug, I agree with you for the most part, except that owing a luxury car= big maintenance bills. That was the OLD way before the Japanese brands. Competition has made the Japanese more German in driving and looks and the GErmans more reliable and amazingly more Japanese in looks (the looks part is just my opinion).

I read over on FerrariChat and its amazing the amount of people that have owned or own a Lexus. While 99% of them see them as appliances, they agree they were the most trouble free cars they owned/own.

Old 03-27-08, 10:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx

Honestly your logic just doesn't make sense to me here. You're saying because BMW includes free maintenance for the first 50k miles that's a bad indication of their reliability. I say it's just a nice perk of ownership. If Lexus did that too I think it'd be great, though it would hurt their dealer profits pretty badly since the dealers make a killing on maintenance.
Similarly, if Lexus bumped their bumper to bumper warranty to 8 years 100k miles would you say that is in indication that they have poor reliability? I'd say exactly the opposite... they're so confident in their cars that they're willing to vouch for them and cover the cost of repairs up until that point. Similarly BMW covering maintenance makes me feel similarly.
When Audi and BMW offered free maintenance and not one Japanese brand did, it was pretty clear that was a HUGE incentive to take a chance on a less reliable German car. I would say it also attracted TONS of women buyers, who want a luxury car with no worries/hassles. That is what free maintenance does, give PEACE of mind for that time, similar to owning a higher quality car.

Another tactic brands with unreliable cars or even PERCEPTIONS use is now the 100k warrenty. Hyundai I believe was first, then I think Chrsyler and maybe a couple other followed suit.

They had to do something to CONVINCE customers that we MAYBE unreliable compared to the quality leaders but hey, look at that warrenty or free maintenance.

I believe many of us here agree, if you are interested in leasing, its just hard to beat a BMW. Best lease rates and free maintenance.

What year did they start free maintenance?

Lexus doesn't HAVE to offer a longer warrenty or maintenance perk b/c historically they are the most reliable brand and people buy a Lexus for this fact/perception. Lexus could have a 1 year 10k warrenty and people would buy them b/c they feel it won't break down anyway.

I am not saying free maintenance is not a WONDERFUL perk of ownership, however why offer it when its costly to you and your dealers and your profits keep dipping?

What year did Audi quit free maintenance?

Old 03-28-08, 12:37 AM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW would have had better success just rebadging MINIs as their 1-series.
Old 03-28-08, 02:53 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
BMW options are stupid expensive. I'm of the belief that the only way to buy a BMW is in base configuration with the motor you want and only the options you absolutely must have.
Yup, I totally agree with that. I've been looking for my next car and I've considered an E90 335, which I may end up in, though I am leaning toward something else at the moment, but after pricing it out and really looking at them the only things I'd really care to have are a 6-speed and ZSP.

Originally Posted by newr
There was a thread posted on CL with real data not too long ago. It showed that the majority of IS owners are women.
Most IS drivers I see, aside from a few enthusiast here, are female; which explains why my g/f chose this car over an E90 335i (loved the ride, but hated the interior).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For that matter, even WOMEN don't wear skirts much anymore. Most females today wear pants, even in conservative churches and institutions.
Such a shame...

Ok, so last weekend I went to a local BMW dealer and they had a 135 demo there, I sat in it and looked it over and it was ok. I had seen it back in January at a car show and thought nothing of it and still dont think much of it now. The rear leg room isn't THAT bad for a car that size; I mean it doesnt seem much smaller than an IS's rear seat... BTW the sticker on this car was a little over $40k with no iDrive; didnt pay attention too closely to the options though so not sure exactly what it had.

The dealer did have two nice M3s, however, black E90 and white E92; love the E90 but still can't say I like the E92, though it is better looking than the standard E92.
Old 03-28-08, 06:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 135 is very close in size to the E46 3 series. Pictures make it appear smaller than it is... Here are both cars side by side

More here..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=bmw+135+e46
Old 03-28-08, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by n8236
A front-drive BMW? And with the speedometer in the center of the dash?

Old 03-28-08, 08:26 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A front-drive BMW? And with the speedometer in the center of the dash?

I'm with you. Mini Cooper is no BMW. Original Mini Cooper fans are no fan of the new one either.
Old 03-28-08, 08:38 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BMW couldn't rebadge a Mini even if they wanted to; at least, not after running that retarded looking rabbit ad aimed at VW... haha
Old 03-28-08, 09:01 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n8236
Now come on - why would they want to devalue their MINI brand??
Old 03-28-08, 04:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

E46 looks a million times better than a 1
Old 03-29-08, 07:14 AM
LexFather

The 1 series exterior has grown on me actually. I need to see one in person.

Old 03-29-08, 09:35 AM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
lol @ 15k oil change for a turbocharged motor

Very LOL, particularly when the N54 is getting the nickname of "The Oil Cooker" over at BITOG:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=981162
Old 03-30-08, 04:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I finally got to see and sit in the 135 at the NYIAS. Very impressed!This car is suprisingly bigger than I thought. It is as big inside as an E46 M3 and the legroom is more than enough for my 6'4 frame. This no is no Mini Cooper exterior wise. Check it out for yourselves for sure.