Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 135i test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyIS
FYI the 135i is a chicks car... enjoy !!!!!!!

Nonsense. There is NO reason a male cannot buy one.

But I agree.....enjoy.

I did a formal review on a 128i convertible just a few days ago (see the review in CAR CHAT) and was quite impressed with it. I would have done a 135i but I had already sampled that engine in the 335i.
Old 03-27-08, 07:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyIS
FYI the 135i is a chicks car... enjoy !!!!!!!
Well you will only see the rear of one from your car......

The way these cars are selling I doubt the majority of the buyers are male........
Old 03-27-08, 07:43 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new 135i looks cool, but it will have that entry level beemer stigma like the 318. Also, the sensor issues never seem to be rectified with BMW. For such a solid car and great driving feel, you would think the engineers would focus on reliability in that aspect.
Old 03-27-08, 08:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

C&D has a cover story on the 135 in the May issue--$42K, and that's not even fully loaded. For that coin, I'd get a G37, or splurge for the 335 coupe.
Old 03-27-08, 08:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
C&D has a cover story on the 135 in the May issue--$42K, and that's not even fully loaded. For that coin, I'd get a G37, or splurge for the 335 coupe.
BMW options are stupid expensive. I'm of the belief that the only way to buy a BMW is in base configuration with the motor you want and only the options you absolutely must have.

In my 335i I have 8k dollars worth of options and yet I don't really see where that money went. I mean yes I can point here and there but other than the sport package and auto transmission I don't really see value in much else... feels like I should have paid maybe 4-5k tops for what I got above and beyond the base 335i. One thing that bothers me is that my 'premium leather' doesn't much if any different/better than the base fake leather stuff they use.

The 135i is a bargain IMO in terms of performance and practicality for the dollar at its base price... but with options it just stops making sense.
Old 03-27-08, 08:59 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
BMW options are stupid expensive. I'm of the belief that the only way to buy a BMW is in base configuration with the motor you want and only the options you absolutely must have.

In my 335i I have 8k dollars worth of options and yet I don't really see where that money went. I mean yes I can point here and there but other than the sport package and auto transmission I don't really see value in much else... feels like I should have paid maybe 4-5k tops for what I got above and beyond the base 335i. One thing that bothers me is that my 'premium leather' doesn't much if any different/better than the base fake leather stuff they use.

The 135i is a bargain IMO in terms of performance and practicality for the dollar at its base price... but with options it just stops making sense.

I'm 100% there with you. That's how I was guided in buying my 335i
Old 03-27-08, 10:49 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm of the belief that the only way to buy a BMW is in base configuration with the motor you want and only the options you absolutely must have.
agree 1000000%
Old 03-27-08, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by insider
Like your underpowered 250 isn't a chick car
Again, nonsense. You guys need to toss those idiotic stereotypes in the trash where they belong.
Old 03-27-08, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes.....you're right on. That's the same conclusion I come to every time I look at or drive a new BMW. The Steptronic transmission, though, in some urban areas, is a must. And the Sport package, unlike the harsh sport suspensions in some other vehicles, gives you great handling without undue harshness over bumps. But I would do anything possible to avoid I-Drive, and would not buy the car if I-Drive was standard or non-deletable.
Old 03-27-08, 11:05 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by insider
Like your underpowered 250 isn't a chick car
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, nonsense. You guys need to toss those idiotic stereotypes in the trash where they belong.
There was a thread posted on CL with real data not too long ago. It showed that the majority of IS owners are women.
Old 03-27-08, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
There was a thread posted on CL with real data not too long ago. It showed that the majority of IS owners are women.
Of course they are. I never said otherwise. And a lot of women drive Miatas, Mini-Coopers, Foresters, and Outbacks too....but that does NOT make them "chick" vehicles or present any reason why men cannot buy and drive them....I drive an Outback myself. One of our male CL moderators has a Miata...and LOVES it. And when I had my yellow IS300 several years ago, young guys, more than girls, went ape-**** over it.

When I said toss the stereotypes in the trash, I meant exactly what I said....not maybe. I'm not trying to be arrogant by saying that....just realistic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-27-08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 11:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well since everyone is throwing out opinions and feelings

135i & 335i > IS250
335i >IS350 and IS350 >335i
IS-F= M3
Old 03-27-08, 11:36 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course they are. I never said otherwise. And a lot of women drive Miatas, Mini-Coopers, Foresters, and Outbacks too....but that does NOT make them "chick" vehicles or present any reason why men cannot buy and drive them....I drive an Outback myself. One of our male CL moderators has a Miata...and LOVES it. And when I had my yellow IS300 several years ago, young guys, more than girls, went ape-**** over it.

When I said toss the stereotypes in the trash, I meant exactly what I said....not maybe. I'm not trying to be arrogant by saying that....just realistic.
I don't disagree that cars driven predominantly by girls are still fine to be driven by men, but to me that doesn't make them not a 'chick car' it just means that there are always exceptions to the norm, and if you're being open minded then you'll be fine with that... but on the flip side if you're being open minded you'll also accept the culture norms that say that a given car is more feminine or masculine than another given car.

Would you agree that some men wear skirts, but skirts are generally, culturally speaking, still considered predominantly feminine clothing?

Would you be surprised if you saw a 1988 Cadillac Deville with 24" chrome spinners, pitch black tint, and subs you could hear from a mile away and then saw a mid-40s white man in a business suit step out of it?

Cultural norms and generalizations exist for a reason... though that doesn't mean that we can't still buy what we want and except people to be accepting of it.
Old 03-27-08, 11:42 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I say go with the 335 and not the 135, just some personal point of view.
Old 03-27-08, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't disagree that cars driven predominantly by girls are still fine to be driven by men, but to me that doesn't make them not a 'chick car' it just means that there are always exceptions to the norm, and if you're being open minded then you'll be fine with that
I see open-mindedness as not buying into preconceived stereotypes.

Would you agree that some men wear skirts, but skirts are generally, culturally speaking, still considered predominantly feminine clothing?
For that matter, even WOMEN don't wear skirts much anymore. Most females today wear pants, even in conservative churches and institutions.

Would you be surprised if you saw a 1988 Cadillac Deville with 24" chrome spinners, pitch black tint, and subs you could hear from a mile away and then saw a mid-40s white man in a business suit step out of it?
Growing up and living in Washington, DC area, I have learned, auto-wise, to expect just about ANYTHING.

Yes, D.C. has its share of pimp-cars, with both blacks and whites behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: BMW 135i test drive