Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got a Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
This reinforces my belief that most radar detectors are worthless. With modern police radar, by the time a detector goes off it’s too late.
instant on is always hard to catch. if you are driving solo with no cars around you i wouldn't speed too much

but with that to say radar detectors are worthless that's just a joke
Old 03-26-08, 03:42 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luxury1
So I was cruising down a country road in New York when my radar detector goes off and I see a NY state trooper driving the other direction. I rapidly slowed down but sure enough he turns around and pulls me over.
So your radar tripped as a cruiser was approaching in the opposite direction on a country road most likely without some sort of a barrier separating the traffic. The trooper was able to determine that you were speeding on the road, made a u-turn, and finally pulled you over. I'm not sure if visually determining that you were speeding without a radar detector is grounds for a ticket being issued to you maybe someone can answer that. But in the case I would just accept the seatbelt ticket.
Old 03-26-08, 04:38 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
instant on is always hard to catch. if you are driving solo with no cars around you i wouldn't speed too much

but with that to say radar detectors are worthless that's just a joke
Well, I did say most radar detectors, not all. But it’s my sense that eventually all police devices will be of the laser or instant-on type, wherein speeders with detectors will continue to have a false sense of security. The only real answer is to slow down.
Old 03-26-08, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am sure by now everyone knows without speeding you will never be in trouble

actually a lot of devices are not capable of instant on already. laser though it still seems to be pretty rare, i have yet to see one laser here in cali the 5 yrs i have owned my v1. i have caught countless Ka though.

i always caution people that radar detector doesn't mean golden and you can become an idiotic speeder out there. you still have to speed smart. it just helps you to reduce the chance of being caught
Old 03-29-08, 05:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I was just checking this thread, and would like to add some data. An oncoming radar readout has some limitations, some which could lead to the officer to offer an alternative ticket - iow "I might as well get something out of him, besides I know speeding is not going to stick if he fights it". What I'm alluding to is simple math. Remember your Geometry? The kind of reading luxury1 was stopped for involved vectors. The further the radar is "to the side", the faster the car appears to be traveling toward the radar gun - you know, the Pythagorean theorem. Radar guns cannot calculate vectored results, so luxury1 may "hypothetically" have been driving within the posted limit, but the readout would display otherwise, so the nice officer jumped on him to show him who's the boss.

I always dispute my tickets on principle alone. Some can't be bothered because of the time involved, etc..., but I've had countless speeding infractions thrown out either because the officer didn't show, or his case was too weak to make an appearance. Law enforcement uses speeding tickets as a deterrent because the technology to support it is weak at best.

As far as I'm concerned, a trained human eye is more accurate at estimating speed than any Buck Rogers radar gun, except perhaps in a straight line or very narrow angle reading. Human stereo vision can calculate depth and determine a fairly accurate rate of approach - both oncoming and laterally, radar guns on the other hand are pretty dumb and are fraught with limitations. The only thing they're good at is increasing the risk for testicular cancer...

As I said previously, "Fight it" - if you have time, of course...
Old 03-29-08, 10:49 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I always dispute my tickets on principle alone. Some can't be bothered because of the time involved, etc..., but I've had countless speeding infractions thrown out either because the officer didn't show, or his case was too weak to make an appearance. Law enforcement uses speeding tickets as a deterrent because the technology to support it is weak at best.
Putting aside the shortcomings of radar devices, it seems you’ve had, as you said, “countless” tickets. Don’t you think that’s a problem?
Old 03-29-08, 10:55 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about that
Old 03-30-08, 12:37 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure the points matter since the OP is from PA and the ticket was in NY. I know in NY if I get a ticket out of state no points go on my license. NYS DMV is nice enough to lay it all out, LOL! I would just pick the lower cost ticket, probably the seat belt.

If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.
Old 03-30-08, 12:31 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Putting aside the shortcomings of radar devices, it seems you’ve had, as you said, “countless” tickets. Don’t you think that’s a problem?
Everyone's got a different outlook on life; I wear mine on my sleeve...

Once in awhile I have to pay for my fun, most of the time I don't.

I also have a profound respect for the Law, although I can't say the Law has the same respect for me...
Old 03-30-08, 04:57 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Once in awhile I have to pay for my fun, most of the time I don't.
Well, it’s not my place to lecture you, but I’m 71, so what the hell: The “fun” you’re willing to pay for may involve not only yourself but can include others. Perhaps that’s the piece of this you have not considered.

Should your fondness for speeding result in a major accident, as unfortunately it sometimes does, your passenger(s) or those in other cars may loose their life, or perhaps end up in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. They haven’t bought into your fun, and therefore shouldn’t suffer for your pleasures, not even once in awhile.

Sorry to preach, but I used to speed also, but grew wise enough, and was lucky enough, to stop before I killed someone.
Old 03-30-08, 07:24 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Thank you for your advice. I'm 58 so I'm not too far behind. If I floor it, I may even pass you and beat you to the line...
Old 03-30-08, 10:11 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

next time i get pulled over ill be like, "may i have a seatbelt ticket instead please!"
Old 03-30-08, 10:26 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Thank you for your advice. I'm 58 so I'm not too far behind. If I floor it, I may even pass you and beat you to the line...
Well, I may give you a run for your money in my G37----wait a minute; I gave up that sort of thing years ago.
Old 03-31-08, 01:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, it’s not my place to lecture you, but I’m 71.

Sorry to preach, but I used to speed also, but grew wise enough, and was lucky enough, to stop before I killed someone.
Preach on, Brother. You've just stated one of the reasons WHY you lived to be 71.