Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe/Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 09:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe/Targa

Called the Solstice Coupe, the new model will be on display at the New York Auto Show on Wednesday.

Production will start in January of 2009 at GM's Wilmington plant. Production may be limited to as few as 10,000 units annually. Accordingly, the car will likely be marketed as a 2010 model. Production may be limited to as few as 10,000 units annually, though nothing has been confirmed. The coupe is powered by a standard 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine that generates 173 horsepower, while the GXP version is equipped with a 2.0L turbocharged Ecotec engine with 260 horsepower.

Because the change to a coupe body style resulted in only a slight increase in curb weight, no drivetrain or suspension changes were necessary to shift from the convertible body structure. Initial tests have shown that the Solstice coupe will deliver ride and handling, acceleration, braking and fuel economy comparable to the convertible model.

The Solstice has a traditional targa setup, with the panels directly over the driver and passenger's head being removable. Buyers also have the choice of hard or soft removable panels. The trunk has been reconfigured to stow the canvas roof, but there's not enough space for the hardtop.

The area behind the seats was redesigned for easy access to the cargo area, and a storage tray was mounted directly behind the headrests. Removing the folding-top mechanism made way for a new, flat cargo floor and several storage compartments. The cargo area’s covered bins provide secure storage for smaller items. Cargo tie-down hooks help secure irregularly shaped items.

The roof’s structure was strengthened with additional support elements, including an aluminum roof bow attached with aluminum brackets.

Two years ago, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said a Solstice coupe would keep consumers interested in the Solstice model line when the "new" wears off the roadster. The launch of this new model, then, seems perfectly logical.

“Today’s Solstice is the top-selling roadster in the U.S., and we believe this new model has even broader appeal,” said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. “The coupe has all the design cues and pleasing performance of the original roadster, and is an all-season alternative for people who enjoy open-air driving.”

“The Solstice coupe represents a major collaboration of design and engineering,” said Bruce Kosbab, chief engineer. “The sleek lines of the new roof give the car a fresh appearance, yet only minimal changes were made to the body structure – it’s a great example of building on an already solid foundation.”
Old 03-18-08, 09:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks weird.

Looks worse that the Z4 coupe...
Old 03-18-08, 09:45 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed, I must say that it looks far better in current form.
Old 03-18-08, 09:46 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That looks weird.

I like it, but then again, Ive like the solstice from the start. Hopefully this will be lighter than the convertible, making it a bit faster.
Old 03-18-08, 10:20 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

call me strange, but i like it ... and so long as the inside has better finishing than the current one (which feels like really super cheep plastic) i think GM has a winner

a friend of mine and i went and took a sky for a test drive and i gotta say, quick yet solid feeling car, lots of leg room, good sound system (especially given the size of the car), excellent air system and vent placements. seriously only complaint: poor quality finishing material

HOLD UP: there isn't enough room in the 'trunk' area to stow the hard top roof ... bad move ... both the old vette and 300zx w. this style of roof had the space to stow the roof in the car ... tisk tisk

so close! ... oh man, i think i'm frusterated at how this ONE IMPORTANT POINT has been overlooked

Last edited by Faymester; 03-18-08 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 10:35 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That looks weird.

No doubt. I wonder if that thing will sell at all?
Old 03-18-08, 11:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest i haven't seen that many Solstices around period...

nor the Saturn SKy for that matter...
Old 03-18-08, 11:51 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
No doubt. I wonder if that thing will sell at all?
im sure they will...

i for one will not be, nor interested in buying that.

it looks great though especially considering it is a pontiac

but id rather drive an old school built firebird instead.
Old 03-19-08, 12:42 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
to be honest i haven't seen that many Solstices around period...
I see a bunch here in Vegas honestly... probably a couple every time I drive around.
Old 03-19-08, 12:45 AM
stvn
Pole Position

looks pretty good. reminds me of a jaguar

not too crazy about the front though..
Old 03-19-08, 06:55 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Are you guys kidding me??

That looks almost achingly gorgeous. Lexus owners totally puzzle me with their sense of automotive design.
Old 03-19-08, 07:00 AM
Koma

Let's see a Sky version since I don't like the Pontiac version. It does totally suck that the roof doesn't fit in the trunk. I do however think this design is nice. Fairly cheap RWD sports car.
A long time ago someone posted some spy pics of some coupe they couldn't figure out what it was. I guessed at a Saturn Sky coupe, looks like I might have been correct.
Old 03-19-08, 07:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Never a fan of the solstice design, but I like this better than the vert ...
Old 03-19-08, 08:05 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how does the trunk open....
Old 03-19-08, 08:07 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Let's see a Sky version since I don't like the Pontiac version. It does totally suck that the roof doesn't fit in the trunk. I do however think this design is nice. Fairly cheap RWD sports car.
A long time ago someone posted some spy pics of some coupe they couldn't figure out what it was. I guessed at a Saturn Sky coupe, looks like I might have been correct.
I agree, I want to see the Sky version as well.

Quick Reply: 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe/Targa