Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Acura RL Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 06:03 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You guys also believe in the tooth fairy, unicorns and Star Wars REALLY will happen.

Seriously, I can take your same posts today, match them with posts from 5-10 years ago and you are singing the same old tired song.

Stop reasoning/rationalizing/defending and let it go. Take a deep breathe, drink some prune juice, let the brand go.

They don't seem to care about you, so why care about them?

Lexus when they have failed or done poorly, doesn't send us the next that is identical to the last, or WORSE than the last so it can FAIL again.

Look at the GS. First gen was 6 cylinder only, big and long an failed. Did they send us another GS with only a 6 cylinder and some marketing B.S? NOPE. THey brought the 2GS which shocked the segment and now the 3GS has evolved with Hybrids, 8 speed autos, etc.

Lets look at the IS 300. Again, after the first couple years, a sales miss. Did Lexus send us the IS 250 only, and then say "oh, its truly better than the IS 300" and lie to us? HELL NO. We got the IS 250, IS 300 in the middle east, IS 220d in Europe, IS 350 most everywhere and now IS-F.

In Comparison, Acura sends us basically dud after dud b/c they know Honda fanbois will buy them irregardless once the marketing spin is expceptional.

See the difference? Its actually pretty easily spelled out over the past 18 years.

Acura is full of crap. They blamed the RSX for image issues and it offers a 4 clinder. What do thaty do after it? Bring us a 4 cylinder TSX, a 4 cylinder SUV (with turbo) and Canada has a Civic rebadge.

Good day to you all!

Even though Acura uses different ingredients in their product line (no RWD, no V-8, ect...) doesn't mean failure. The RL is a supurb car (fails $20K more expensive than a BMW 5-series which cost the same for example). So it doesn't have a V-8. Well 300 HP seems more than adequete and it is FAST!

The current TL was a major success even though sales have recently lessoned during the end of this product cycle. For a few years, it was 3rd only to the 3-series and C-class in sales for it's segment.

The current MDX is the best SUV I've ever driven (and I've driven almost all of them) - perfect interior, excellent handling, great styling.

The RDX does indeed have a 4-banger, but it is neck snapping fast. That turbo makes it just as fast if not faster than my 8-cylinder SC400! And it's an SUV!

So Acura doesn't play by the same product planning rules of Lexus, BMW, and MB. Does it really matter that much?
Old 03-21-08, 06:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
So Acura doesn't play by the same product planning rules of Lexus, BMW, and MB. Does it really matter that much?
The problem is, yes it does matter. Acura owners and Acura fans have asked for RWD and V8 engines for years and Acura has ignored that.

TSX owners have been asking for more power from the base engine, and Acura with the new TSX hasn't given us that.

Acura can continue to ignore the market, ignore customers, and continue playing by it's own rules but it does so at it's own peril. I guess it doesn't matter that much for the competition as it makes it easier for the competition if Acura continues making strange or bad decisions.

Yes the RDX is fast, but it's also small and it guzzles gas. For a small SUV like that, it's unacceptable.

It's not enough to offer value-packed or good products. In the luxury market, to be taken seriously, you need to be unique, innovative, and class leading in at least some ways to be taken seriously.

You know Acura has a problem when the TL is most cross-shopped with the Accord.
Old 03-21-08, 08:54 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The problem is, yes it does matter. Acura owners and Acura fans have asked for RWD and V8 engines for years and Acura has ignored that.

TSX owners have been asking for more power from the base engine, and Acura with the new TSX hasn't given us that.

Acura can continue to ignore the market, ignore customers, and continue playing by it's own rules but it does so at it's own peril. I guess it doesn't matter that much for the competition as it makes it easier for the competition if Acura continues making strange or bad decisions.

Yes the RDX is fast, but it's also small and it guzzles gas. For a small SUV like that, it's unacceptable.

It's not enough to offer value-packed or good products. In the luxury market, to be taken seriously, you need to be unique, innovative, and class leading in at least some ways to be taken seriously.

Yep. hp went down and torque went up (a rarity for a Honda vehicle).

The RDX.. I like its design but I think they're really pushing the turbo marketing spin. I was thinking the same thing. The 1G Murano with the 3.5 litre V6 and a CVT got similar or better mileage than the RDX with the 2.3 litre turbo. What gives?
Old 03-21-08, 08:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura is full of crap. They blamed the RSX for image issues and it offers a 4 clinder. What do thaty do after it? Bring us a 4 cylinder TSX, a 4 cylinder SUV (with turbo) and Canada has a Civic rebadge.

Good day to you all!
The real problem started when they got too cocky and replaced the Integra name with the RSX. They claimed people were saying "I drive an Integra" rather than "I drive an Acura" and Acura wanted owners to feel proud they were driving an Acura (heard from Jim Kenzie Motoring 2002).

Well guess what? They drive an Acura now... not an Integra.

Any company would die for an iconic car whose name is synonymous with the company. People know what an Integra is. People know what an M3 is. You don't have to say it's a BMW. The same way you don't have to tell people your Integra is an Acura. Yet Acura didn't like it.
Old 03-21-08, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

overall i think it's pretty obvious about acura's failure, and a lot of people can point out their shortcomings over the years. their lineup now is simply weak, that's for sure. hopefully in another 2 yrs they can do something right and get back in the game, otherwise, honestly they might as well focus on making a better accord
Old 03-21-08, 11:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And let's not forget, they still are the #2 Japanese luxury brand selling in the U.S.; what they have is an image problem, but their bread-and-butter TL sales are keeping things going. If they can fix the RL/Legend that will help things. They definitely should do that before the NSX.
Old 03-22-08, 12:27 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn, thats crazy you said that. I literally just had a conversation with my good friend whos a sales manager for an Acura dealership who said the same exact thing.

And I quote "Its crazy, we dont even compete with BMW, Lexus, or MB anymore. The majority of our trade ins are Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, and Mazdas." They used to get in a lot of Audi's, BMW's and Lexus models at this particular dealership. And obviously everyone is downgrading to smaller cars (one guy going from a RL to a Civic).
Old 03-22-08, 08:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
And let's not forget, they still are the #2 Japanese luxury brand selling in the U.S.; what they have is an image problem, but their bread-and-butter TL sales are keeping things going. If they can fix the RL/Legend that will help things. They definitely should do that before the NSX.
#2 Japanese luxury brand in the US, but there are only 3 Japanese luxury brands. The more worrying thing is the sales trend. Acura sales are on a decline.
Old 03-23-08, 07:26 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

... The more worrying thing is the sales trend. Acura sales are on a decline.
Because all three of their sedans are about 5 years old and ready to be replaced. I've never seen a company's sales go up at the same time that their lineup ages.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 03-23-08 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-23-08, 07:36 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

honda is really falling behind with their front wheel drive bias, mediocre performance and their lack of a super car (or even the development of one) to showcase the advancements Acura has developed. Also, the lack of a car that shines in its class is also not doing much for its name.
Old 03-23-08, 11:27 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
honda is really falling behind with their front wheel drive bias, mediocre performance and their lack of a super car (or even the development of one)...
After the new TL comes out this coming year, Acura will only have ONE FWD car, the TSX - and even that may have an AWD version. Everything will be AWD rather than RWD which many people don't want.

So why are they still being criticised for FWD??

Oh, and the NSX (a supercar) IS in development and will be out within a couple of years.

And how can 300HP be considered "mediocre"? Wait until gas is $4-$5/gal and let's see how many 400 and 500HP cars we'll see.