Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Acura RL Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 10:36 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I disagree with the opinion that the current RL's build quality and craftsmanship equals the LS460. Yes it's definitely well built and the craftsmanship is good, but I feel it is one step below the LS. Having thoroughly examined the interiors of the current RL and LS460, you start to notice a difference with the little details. I feel that the LS has slightly higher quality plastics used in the interior. As for little details, IMO there is a difference in the tactile feel and "smoothness" of the buttons. I also feel the LS glovebox opens more smoothly with a more dampened feel. The center armrest console and the cover near the shifter on the RL I also feel do not open as smoothly as on the LS. Every cover and every button seems to have a consistent "smoothness" to it on the LS. I have not noticed that in the current RL.

Honda would need to go at least one step beyond the current RL interior in terms of quality and craftsmanship in order to equal the LS interior.
I would agree with this on the RL vs LS. I do feel the older LS was built better over all, but the new LS460 is very good. When it came to interior fit and finish and general feel, I do feel the new LS does have a slight edge. However, I do feel the current RL build quality and interior feel is about on par with the older LS430, and better over all than the current GS. So basically the RL is actually pretty darn good and on par with the best of them.
Old 03-19-08, 12:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I disagree with the opinion that the current RL's build quality and craftsmanship equals the LS460.
I never said that. I think you guys are interpreting my post the wrong way. I said the next RL will probably be as high quality as the LS460. The current RL was merely an example of Honda's potential for build quality. Honda set out the RL to compete with the 5, E, GS, etc and it probably does have the best interior in its class. No way can it compete with the LS for $20k less, unless Honda cost cut everything else on the car.
Old 03-19-08, 03:54 AM
LexGuy2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with the opinion that the current RL's build quality and craftsmanship equals the LS460. Yes it's definitely well built and the craftsmanship is good, but I feel it is one step below the LS. Having thoroughly examined the interiors of the current RL and LS460, you start to notice a difference with the little details. I feel that the LS has slightly higher quality plastics used in the interior. As for little details, IMO there is a difference in the tactile feel and "smoothness" of the buttons. I also feel the LS glovebox opens more smoothly with a more dampened feel. The center armrest console and the cover near the shifter on the RL I also feel do not open as smoothly as on the LS. Every cover and every button seems to have a consistent "smoothness" to it on the LS. I have not noticed that in the current RL.

Honda would need to go at least one step beyond the current RL interior in terms of quality and craftsmanship in order to equal the LS interior.

I've own a 2006 RL and of course for 30K MORE the LS460 has to have better materials, better hinges.. you name it, it would be unacceptable otherwise; but in its own class (GS, E, 5 series. A6) its pretty darn good.

Like Toyota, Honda is the only other Japanese carmaker that has mastered
the art of car craftmanship and build quality so I'm sure they can deliver the goods. It they want, that is.
Old 03-19-08, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I will agree with that, even as an Acura and RL supporter and someone who cancelled an order for an LS600hL. The RL is head and shoulders above everything else in its class, but not quite at the level of the LS in terms of interior quality and details. Then again, I found a couple of items in the LS that made me slap my head and wonder "Why?!" because they were details that were forgotten...

Having reviewed both cars, I would actually rate the RL's interior hardware and door solidness one step above the LS460's. The RL's matte-wood trim, IMO, also looks better than the LS' highly polished wood...but that is a personal preference, of course, and is subjective. The LS, of course, wrote the book when it comes to refinement and riding quietness.....King Tut would be content riding in the back seat.
Old 03-19-08, 04:26 PM
akhi2003
Driver School Candidate

When most of you guys agree that current RL competes with E, 5, A6 , M and GS then I don't understand how can a redesigned 2010 model year RL will compete with S, 7, A8 and LS? Acura has to name it something else to compete with those flagship vehicles otherwise it will flop miserably again.
Old 03-19-08, 04:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by akhi2003
When most of you guys agree that current RL competes with E, 5, A6 , M and GS then I don't understand how can a redesigned 2010 model year RL will compete with S, 7, A8 and LS? Acura has to name it something else to compete with those flagship vehicles otherwise it will flop miserably again.
that's coz' i assume they will step up further on the rl and make it a competition to the s, 7, a8, and ls. if they make the rl a v8, 70k, but class wise it's still together with the gs? that's a shame...
Old 03-19-08, 04:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by akhi2003
I agree with what romnl said above. If they step up the RL in size, engine, power and price, it should compete against the higher end models as it will be too expensive in price to compete against the cars it does now, yet offer much more than the competition. It is the same thing Lexus did with the IS. The past IS300 was just an entry level car that pretty much competed against cars like the Acura RSX, Audi A3 and such. Now, with the newer IS350, it steps up into the Acura TL, Infiniti G35 and BMW 3, Mercedes C and such class.
Old 03-19-08, 05:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree with what romnl said above. If they step up the RL in size, engine, power and price, it should compete against the higher end models as it will be too expensive in price to compete against the cars it does now, yet offer much more than the competition. It is the same thing Lexus did with the IS. The past IS300 was just an entry level car that pretty much competed against cars like the Acura RSX, Audi A3 and such. Now, with the newer IS350, it steps up into the Acura TL, Infiniti G35 and BMW 3, Mercedes C and such class.
Huh? The IS300 was meant to be a direct competition to the 330i from day one and has always been a $30k+ car, unlike the RSX and A3.
Old 03-19-08, 05:03 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Huh? The IS300 was meant to be a direct competition to the 330i from day one has always been a $30k+ car, unlike the RSX and A3.
Well, it failed then. Too me it came nowhere near a BMW 3 series. I thought the Acura RSX-S was more sporty than the old IS300, but whatever, the new one does a much better job. Anyway, the new IS350 now can top out over $40K, so that is still a large jump upward in price and class. And, if we talk about the IS250 specifically I still think that is TSX territory.
Old 03-19-08, 05:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Well, it failed then. Too me it came nowhere near a BMW 3 series. I thought the Acura RSX-S was more sporty than the old IS300, but whatever, the new one does a much better job. Anyway, the new IS350 now can top out over $40K, so that is still a large jump upward in price and class.
Just because it failed doesn't mean it wasn't positioned to be a direct competitor. Hey if one has to come close to the 3-series in order to be considered competition then I guess there's just the 3-series in its own segment.

Likewise, the fact that the RL failed to compete with the E/5/GS doesn't mean it's not in very same segment.

BTW the IS300 is every bit as sporty as the RSX-S. It just loses in horsepower and creature comfort when compared to the 3. Have you driven one?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-19-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 05:32 PM
akhi2003
Driver School Candidate

My point is Acura can't release 2010 model year RL and say that it is going to compete with S/7/A8/LS just because it is bigger and has 420hp V8. They have to give it a new name. The people who buy flagship cars have lot of money and they buy those cars for Status. So the name Acura RL doesn't fly in that segment because it used to be a mid level luxury car and it failed miserably to meet sales goals in both generations.
Old 03-19-08, 05:48 PM
LexGuy2
Driver School Candidate

exactly, they should bring back the "Legend" name as the new flagship and leave
the RL there.
Old 03-19-08, 05:48 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

hmm.....if that is what the RL will look like it is actually not that bad but I will prefer Lexus over Acura any day
Old 03-19-08, 05:51 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexGuy2
exactly, they should bring back the "Legend" name as the new flagship and leave
the RL there.
The RL is the Legend. They simply need a new name.
Old 03-19-08, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The RL is the Legend. They simply need a new name.
haha yeah, some people need to dig on history j/k

jokes aside, i can see the issue with rl name tag. it depends on how acura is going to play it. another name can help, but that means another gnd zero

Quick Reply: 2010 Acura RL Rumors