Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Volkswagen EOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2008 Volkswagen EOS

By CL member request, a review of 2008 Volkswagen EOS Hardtop Convertible.

http://www.vw.com/eos/en/us/

In a Nutshell: Forget the VW convertible stereotypes ............this is a fun-in-the-sun car for ANYONE.

Before I actually get into the discussion and review of this car itself, I want to take a minute or two to address the common snickering, insults, giggling, etc.....and the generally scornful attitudes that often accompany the mention or discussion of small Volkswagen Cabrios and convertibles. VW drop-tops, for years, have been pictured and stereotyped in the automotive press, magazines, and among auto enthusiasts s "Effeminate", "Chick", "Gay", or "Lesbian" cars that no one with an ounce of testosterone in their body would be willing to be seen alive in....least of all, among their friends or colleagues.

Like so many other auto stereotypes (Buicks being only for Grandpa/Grandma, minivans only for soccer-moms, Hybrids only for environmental tree-huggers, etc....), the feminine stereotype for VW convertibles is a bunch of nonsense. Sure, women buy them. They have always been very popular with females.....I won't deny that. And there is nothing wrong with that. I, myself, have helped some women find and make deals on them. But, likewise, it is a fun-in-nice-weather car for anybody....as far as I'm concerned, Hulk Hogan or Jake (the Snake) Roberts, both steroid-puffed WWF guys, could buy and enjoy a VW convertible as much as a small, dainty teenage girl. Guys......(yes, straight guys, too).......if you like the EOS, can afford one (they won't bankrupt you, but are not cheap), like the sun and wind in your face on a nice day, then don't let any of the auto-mags, insults, or stereotypes stop you....go for it. I myself enjoyed the EOS review and test-drive on a nice, sunny, but rather cool (50 degrees) D.C. morning....and no one pointed at ME and laughed, with either the top up or down. A word of caution, though, that has nothing to do with the feminine stereotype........VW products are known for unreliable electronics and rather poor customer service, though individual dealerships, of course, vary on the level of customer service. That should be taken into consideration as well.

OK.....now that we've got that matter out of the way (and I brought it up because it was important), let's get to the car itself. The EOS, all-new for 2007 and now in its second year, is based on the current-generation Jetta platform and serves, more or less, as a slightly bigger brother to the Beetle convertible; the VW Cabrio having been dropped. It differs markedly from Beetle and Cabrio convertibles, however, not only in substantially higher prices, but in the fact that it trades the traditional fabric drop-top for the increasingly common power-folding metal top. This not only gives better structural integrity and roll-over protection with the top up, but better protection from noise, the elements, and from break-ins as well...little else besides a sharp knife is needed to break into a traditional rag-top. The folding metal top also has an unusual feature.....lift a small lever next to the larger power-top button and the sunrof opens up and leaves the rest of the roof in place......without retracting. That way, if you only want (or need) a little sun/fresh air instead of a lot, you got it. Of course, features like that just add to production costs.....my test EOS listed for over $38,000, and it was by no means the most expensive EOS model available.

Four trim lines of American-market EOS models are offered, all with the same folding metal top.......Turbo, Komfort, Lux, and VR6. Two engines are offered...the ubiquitous VW/Audi 2.0L Turbo four and 3.2L VR6 powerplants, and two transmissions.....a conventional 6-speed manual and the superb VW/Audi DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox) sequential-shift automanual. The DSG Tiptronic is a superlative transmission.....I always look forward to driving a VW/Audi product with it, just as I look forward to BMW-steering/chassis dynamics on test-drives. Three interior colors are offered (beige,light gray, or black) in and a choice of leather or a more or less similiar material called V-Tex. My test EOS was a silver Lux model with the 2.OL turbo four, light gray leather, and (what else?) the DSG gearbox. It has a base price just under 35K and listed for 38.5K....other models, depending on drivetrain, trim, and options, run both more and less. Entry-level models with manual transmissions start around 29-30K, and loaded VR6 models (which my dealership did not seem to have in stock) can run 40K or more. Like I said, this car is not econobox-priced.

So....how does this fine piece of German engineering check out? Pretty nicely....with one glaring fault. Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2008 EOS Lux DSG

Base Price: $34,990

Major Options:

NAV System: $1800

Dynaudio Premium sound system: $1000

Rubber Floor Mats (4) $99

Destination/Freight: $640

List Price as reviewed: $38,529

Exterior Color: Silver Essence

Interior: Moonrock (light gray) Leather

Drivetrain: FWD, transverse-mounted, 2.0L Turbo in-line 4, 200 HP @ 5100-6000 RPM, Torque 207 ft-lbs @ 1800-5000 RPM.
6-speed DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox) computer-shifted manual transmission with automanual shift lever/paddles.

PLUSSES:

Fun in the sun.

Folding hardtop prevents easy soft-top convertible break-ins.

Folding top has choice of two functions....open sunroof or full roof retraction.

Slick paint job.

Nice but somewhat dull paint colors.

Well-insulated top blocks out noise.

Manual wind-blocker cuts down on top-down turbulence.

Relatively good handling for a convertible.

Very little chassis flex or cowl shake with top down.

Slick, smooth steering almost BMW-like.

Superlative DSG transmission.

Well-finished interior.

Classy sun visors.

Excellent blue/red gauges.

Well-marked climate controls/functions.

Tank-like sheet metal, hood, and trunk lid.

Excellent exterior hardware.

Nice hold-up struts for the hood.

Attractive interior colors.

Comfortable front seats.

Climate controls adjust, to some extent, for the top being down.

Pop-up bars deploy for safety in the event of a top-down rollover.

Handy, push-button, fold-up key in ignition fob saves space.

MINUSES:

Feminine marketing stereotype hard to erase in the minds of some people.

So-so first-year reliability record (not as bad as some other VW products).

Questionable electronics quality typical of VW products.

Rather pricey compared to other small VW American-market products.

Rear seat almost useless for adults.

Seat leather and V-Tex surfaces have an unpleasant, roughish, grainy feel.

Lack of cargo space in the rear, even with top up.

Awful brake pedal design.

Excessively spongy brake response.

Premium gas required with the 2.0L turbo.

Thin, cheap-feeling, turn-signal stalk typical of some German cars.

OK but rather mediocre stereo, even with the Premium Dynaudio option.

Complex, integrated NAV/stereo controls.

Underhood plastic engine and components covers block too much access.

VW 4Motion AWD system not available.

Rather uninformative brochure and web site.

EXTERIOR:

The first impression of this car, as you walk up to it, is the overall size and front/rear styling similiarities to the Jetta (not surprising, since it shares the Jetta platform), The front grille, chromework, headlights, rear end, and taillights are all quite similiar, but not identical. The roof line, with the folding metal top and 2 doors, of course, is much different from the Jetta sedan. The sheet metal and doors are all of solid, high quality, and close with solid thunks. The exterior hardware is all solid and of high quality, especially the big, tilting VW logo built into the trunk lid that opens the trunk itself...that logo-lock is very impressive and appears to be made of thick, real metal and real chrome, not plastic. The two side mirrors, likewise, feel solid and well-made.....and twist and lock in place solidly. The paint job is generally slick and well-done, with just a very faint hint of orange peel. The darker colors, in general, like most vehicles, are glossier than the lighter colors. The range of colors offered, overall, were a little dull for my tastes, but not unattractive...and I liked the two blues offered. It is difficult to tell, from the small, uninformative EOS brochure, and the way VW's "Build Your Own" website is set up, if some of the paint colors are extra cost, as with other German manufacturers who usually charge extra for metallics. The thick, well-chromed bar under the grille in front adds a nice touch of class. The steeply raked windshield, done both for aerodynamic reasons and to make the folding metal top as compact as possible, is very sports-car-like.

UNDERHOOD:

The hood itself, like many German cars, is tank-solid, and is held up by nice gas struts....no cheap prop-rods here. The transverse-mounted, 2.0L turbo four fits in pretty snugly....there is little room to reach anything around the edges, and a BIG, bolt-on, two-tone plastic engine cover covers almost everything topside. Smaller plastic covers and snap-down lids cover most of the other underhood components, and little else but a few dipsticks and reservoirs are available for easy access (I did not get to see how the 3.2L VR6 engine fits in; the dealership didn't have any EOS VR6 models in stock nearby).

INTERIOR:

The interior, overall, is quite well-finished, and made of good materials. I could find little to complain about, quality-wise. The turn-signal stalk, like on a lot of German-designed cars, had a flimsy feel to it. The seat leather (a similiar substance called V-Tex is also available) had the typical German-leather grainy feel to it I don't particularly like, but it appeared to be of high quality. The stereo had complex buttons and controls integrated with the NAV system, and its sound quality was rather mediocre for a car in this price range. But, as I said, there were few really cheap materials inside, though you couldn't really call it a luxury interior...overall, it is very similiar to the Jetta's, in a 2-door form. The front seats were comfortable and supportive....and the upholstery, of course, in a convertible, has to be durable and sun-resistant enough to withstand the elements with the top down (that's why I myself wouldn't get black on a convertible.....too hot in the sun).

Most of the buttons and controls (rather unusual for German cars) were clear and well-marked, though, as I mentioned earlier, the stereo/NAV controls could be a little less complex. Everything except the turn-signal stalk felt solid and well-attached...especially the durable air vent hardware. The leather-covered sport-steering wheel had extremely smooth leather wrapping it, and the stitching was not uncomfortable to grip like it is on some leather-covered wheels. The gauges were the typical VW circular, blue-lit, red-needled design I've always liked, especially at night. Legroom, up front, was fine for tall people. Headroom, with the top up, was also fine, especially with the seat cushion adjusted all the way down, and of course, was a non-issue with the top down. The back seat, as to be expected in a car of this type with the intruding hardware for folding the roof, was pretty much
useless for adults, particularly taller ones......consider this basically a 2 + 2 car, basically two adults up front and two children in the rear.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

One, of course, does not expect a Chevy Suburban or a full-size pickup truck in cargo/trunk space when buying a relatively small convertible, and, taken in that consideration, this car is not that disappointing, but it is still obvious that you are going to have to pack pretty lightly if you are going to Grandma's house or hauling things....this car is no workhorse. The trunk itself, which is fairly well-finished in nice gray carpeting, can be opened with the ignition key fob, an interior switch, or, in some modes, by pushing in on the solid, well-crafted/well-finished VW logo on the trunk lid. The rear seats fold down so that, with the top up, longish items can be put in if they are not very tall. With the top up, small, short luggage pieces or grocery bags can be placed in, especially around the sides of the trunk. If you don't plan on dropping the top, you can use the center of the trunk area for carrying things, but, if you plan on Al-Fresco motoring, a square-shaped trunk divider must be placed in the center of the trunk for the top-down mechanism to work (I'm not enough of an engineer to know why, except that somehow it compliments the mechanism). The trunk lid itself, like the hood, feels tank-solid when you close it manually......it opens and closes automatically, of course, when the top raises or lowers. The whole top up/top down cycle takes about 20-25 seconds each way. There are two levers under the center-console lid inside. One is for the full power-top retraction, and the other is for a partial retraction that functions as open sunroof.........few convertibles have that feature. The car must be stopped and in Park for the full top-down feature to work.

ON THE ROAD:

VW marketing, like BMW's, prides itself on them being Drivers' cars, and, to a large extent, the EOS doesn't disappoint, although there is one glaring fault..more on that in a minute. Start up the 2.0L turbo four with the push-button, pop-out key and a conventional ignition switch, and it immediately settles into a surprisingly smooth, quiet idle....not quite Lexus LS460-like, but clearly not a noisy, agricultural tractor engine. The 2.0, with the turbo, is also surprisingly torquey and responsive, even at lower RPMs. I have always liked this engine.....it has a good combination of power, smoothness, refinement, and economy, although, because of the turbo and the high compression you have to feed it expensive premium gas. And, even though this is considered a Drivers' car, the engineers quieted the exhaust down...you don't have to put up with constant droning, even under fairly hard acceleration. This engine could easily, even with the DSG transmission, handle the extra weight and drag of all-wheel drive, although VW will not sell the AWD 4Motion system at all on the EOS. And even on the sister Audi A3, Audi restricts the identical Quattro AWD system to the 3.2L VR6 engine. I don't understand this marketing.....the Audi A4 can be had with the 2.0/DSG/AWD combonation, but not the A3 or VW's EOS. Go figure.

The DSG gearbox, however, is marvelous....it alone, IMO, makes up for the lack of AWD. It is a manual or automatic, computer-operated, twin-clutch system, without a fluid-filled torque converter, that automatically selects one gear and sets up the other clutch and gear range for the next shift. Considering the lack of a torque converter, it is incredibly smooth and quiet, even under fairly hard use.....nothing like the hard, lurching shifts of the BMW SMG (Sequential-Manual-Gearbox). It, basically, combines the efficiency/acceleration of a manual with the convienence/smoothness of an automatic like no transmission I've seen yet....even belt-driven CVTs (Continously Variable Transmissions). It is so good that other car manufacturers are rushing to develop their own versions of it.

With the top down, there is little if any wind buffeting behind the windshield, although a manually-installed wind buffeter is provided with the car if desired......it fits in behind the front seats. Even without the buffeter, I could drive Al-Fresco at highway speeds without any worry of getting my ever-present baseball cap blown off by the wind. With the top down, the climate-control system automatically turns up the fan speeds and adjusts the temperature as required to minimize discomfort. Also with the top down, there is very little cowl shake/body flex, the bane of virtually all convertibles.....I could detect only a very slight amount of shake/shimmy in the steering wheel, inside mirror, and windshield header assembly. It was virtually as solid as a coupe or sedan.

Handling, of course, with the slight amount of convertible body flex, was not quite as solid as in the sedan Jetta versions,but, for a convertible, was responsive and well-composed. There was little body roll, and steering response was fairly quick and accurate. The EOS power steering system is one of the car's great strengths...the steering has a super-smooth, slick, precise feel almost like it was on roller bearings, but it lacks the fine-tactile sensation you get with BMW units, and you can't quite steer the car blindfolded like you can some of those BMWs. Ride quality was also a good compromise from the level of body flex and handling you got from the suspension. Some of that comfort was the low noise level transmitted through the chassis, especially with the top up. Wind noise, engine noise, and road noise were all well-muted....surprisingly so for a convertible.

So.....where is the car's one glaring fault? Like the Toyota Corolla I tested a couple of weeks ago, in the brakes. The brakes, on this car, are nothing like the brakes you usually expect to find on German sports sedans...or even like those on some sister VW products. For a start, the brake pedal design is simply awful. It sits way too close to the gas pedal, about an inch or two higher, and is perfect trap for a big size-15 clown-shoe like mine trying to shift from the gas to the brake pedal. My big shoe invariably caught on the underside of the brake pedal if I was not very careful how I rested it and lifted it. The only other modern car I have had this much trouble with.....or worse......shifting from gas to brake was in the toylike Lotus Elise's interior footwells. And then, once you GET your foot on the brake pedal and press it, you are then rewarded with a couple of inches of Sponge-O-Matic pedal travel, little brake response, and the rear bumper of that guy stopped at the light in front of you approaching rather uncomfortably. Keep pressing
the pedal and you then get the response you want (before the ABS/Brake Assist kicks in), but it is like trying to get a tax cut trough a Democratic Congress......every inch will be contested. Now, I'm not saying the brakes are dangerous......they, of course, are not, but, nevertheless I find them very unimpressive, especially for a German machine designed as a Drivers' car.

THE VERDICT?

With its two-function drop-top, good fit/finish, solid chassis, well-designed interior, and on-road comfort top-up or top-down, the EOS is definitely one of the better convertibles on the road for the money, although it is not cheap, and its handling, while good for this type of convertible, cannot match that of the smaller, more snappy Mazda Miata or Honda S2000. Nevertheless, This car would probably sell much more than it does, especially to males, if the auto magazines and auto press didn't constantly associate VW convertibles with feminism and a lack of manhood. It offers top-down fun in nice weather, security from convertible break-ins with the metal top, and good overall build quality, although the electronics quality, like most German cars, is suspect, and according to Consumer Reports, Volkswagens can be very troublesome as they age.....one of the most troublesome of all makes. VW's below-average customer service (again, depending on the dealership) is another caution area. But, for those who consider all of this and decide that the EOS is for them, they will be rewarded with a nice, refined, fun-to-drive German convertible at much less cost than a BMW or Mercedes convertible.

Just, with the brakes..........keep an eye on the guy in front of you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 08:14 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up! the 2.0t/dsg combo is really amazing!
Old 03-13-08, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aliti19
nice write up! the 2.0t/dsg combo is really amazing!
Thanks.

Don't just take my word for it. Check one out yourself, if you have not already done so. You will not be disappointed.

The only problem with that combo is the VW/Audi stubbornness in not hooking the 4Motion/Quattro AWD to it on the EOS and A3, when they do so on the A4.
Old 03-13-08, 11:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Mike!

I'm actually suprised with the different hardtops that have arrived in the market that is below $40k: the VW Eos, the Pontiac G6, the Chrysler Sebring, etc. Of course, there are also the Lexus SC430, BMW hardtop 3-Series, MB SL and SLK, and even the Caddilac XLR; but most of these are twice the price of the previously mentioned vehicles. Of the "cheaper" hardtops in the market, the Eos caught my attention.

I don't know if you can even compare the Eos to more upscale luxo-hardtops, but in general, do you think the Eos is worth the price? Or is the Eos' premium price over the Jetta too costly?

When comparing the price differences between other coupe vs. convertible versions of a make and model, such as the Camry/Solara, or the 3-Series sedan/convertible; does the Eos's price premium justify the privilage?
Old 03-13-08, 11:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interior looks awesome, exterior is blah...
Old 03-13-08, 11:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

=PhilipMSPT;3358413]Thanks Mike!
Sure...anytime.

I don't know if you can even compare the Eos to more upscale luxo-hardtops, but in general, do you think the Eos is worth the price? Or is the Eos' premium price over the Jetta too costly?

When comparing the price differences between other coupe vs. convertible versions of a make and model, such as the Camry/Solara, or the 3-Series sedan/convertible; does the Eos's price premium justify the privilage?
A rather complex question, but I'll try and address it. Considering what you get with an EOS (the multi-function metal droptop, well-designed DSG powertrain, solid chassis, good fit/finish, quality materials, and fun-to-drive factor, you could argue that lower-line, 2.0T DSG models, which run from maybe 30-35K, are marginally worth what they cost. The more expensive ones, like the Lux trim model I had with NAV, are, IMO, harder to justify that price premium. I can't comment directly on the VR6 model because I didn't review it (none were available), but, on the 38.5K model I drove, the brakes and NAV/stereo systems were disappointments. The brakes are probably the same on all the EOS models across the board (in other words, you're stuck with them), but, given the choice, I'd definitely skip the NAV and Premium stereo packages and save several thousand bucks right there. Compared to the Solara convertible, the EOS has a better-balanced chassis/suspension, more feel in the steering, and less cowl/body shake (the ever-present bane of convertibles)....but less room in the back seat and trunk/cargo area. Compared to the BMW 3-series convertible, of course, the 335i, with its 300 HP twin-turbo in-line 6, easily trumps it in the power department and in the tactile quality of the steering, and (though I obviously didn't test it that way) would probably outrun it in the slalom, too. The Solara convertible is likely to be more reliable than the EOS in both the the short and long run; the 335i convertible is likely to share the VW's propensity for weak electronics.
And comparing the 335i droptop to its own brother 335i sedan/coupe, I would definitely not spend the extra money. The 335i sedan, even with its unarguable chassis/steering and powertrain excellence, is already borderline overpriced, even though I argued, in my own 335i review, that it is a good lower-cost alternative to the M3......I see no reason to shell out even more for a 335i convertible, given that the convertible would likely not match the sedan's body rigidity or handling precision....you always pay at least a slight penalty for that in a drop-top.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-08 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 11:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Interior looks awesome, exterior is blah...
Audi/VW are known for classy interiors, although base-model VW interiors like the Rabbit and lower-line Jettas don't impress me that much. The EOS convertible, IMO, actually looks good with the top up.....the designers did a good job of integrating the roof's lines with the rest of the bodywork, something that can't be said about many other convertibles. Compare the EOS's sleek top-up lines, for example, to the awkward look of previous VW drop-tops (below) like the Cabrio, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: BMW 1-series, Lexus IS-F (when available).
Old 03-14-08, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Of the "cheaper" hardtops in the market, the Eos caught my attention.
If you are going to seriously check out an EOS, you may want to test-drive the VR6 model first, if your dealership has any in stock. Mine didn't....so, of course, I couldn't review it or comment on it. However, VR6 models will be pricey....be sure you can afford one. If not, the lower-priced 2.0L turbos are a great alternative.....especially with the DSG (they start around 30K or so).
Old 03-14-08, 09:00 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Don't just take my word for it. Check one out yourself, if you have not already done so. You will not be disappointed.
ohhh, i know all about the 2.0t w/ the DSG! (see sig)
Old 03-14-08, 09:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are going to seriously check out an EOS...
I'm not really interested in buying one.

My main concern/question is the "price gap value" between the non-convertible versions (whether it's a sedan or coupe) and the hardtop convertible versions.

For example, as you stated, the Jetta GLI and Eos share the same chassis, engine (2.0 turbo I4), and tranny (whether manual or DSG). However, the price gap difference between the two base models is near $5k; and significantly much more when options are added. I think it's a good value upgrade considering the addition of a hardtop convertible while maintaining sturdy driving dynamics.

Now, compare that difference between the 3-Series sedan and hardtop convertible. The price gap difference between the base models is $11k!!! The upgrade may not be worth it for most people...
Old 03-15-08, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For example, as you stated, the Jetta GLI and Eos share the same chassis, engine (2.0 turbo I4), and tranny (whether manual or DSG). However, the price gap difference between the two base models is near $5k; and significantly much more when options are added. I think it's a good value upgrade considering the addition of a hardtop convertible while maintaining sturdy driving dynamics.

Now, compare that difference between the 3-Series sedan and hardtop convertible. The price gap difference between the base models is $11k!!! The upgrade may not be worth it for most people...
Yes, I'll agree on both counts, provided (like the Jetta/EOS 2.0/DSG comparison) that you are comparing sedans and hardtops with the same engine and powertrain. Otherwise it may be apples and oranges. The EOS and 3-series both come with a choice of several different engine/transmission combos (and that twin-turbo 335i a nice one. )

The point is that if you want to directly compare the price of a convertible vs. a sedan or coupe counterpart, and whether the drop-top alone is worth it, you have to look at the drivetrains and other equipment and take that into consideration also. A convertible may cost 11K more than a sedan, as you note with the 3-series, but that 11K may include more than just a trick drop-top. Also, when taking the "value" of a convertible into account, you also have to take into account the loss of 2 doors, rear-seat and cargo-carring space, and how that could affect your driving needs, which can't always be measured in dollars. If you drive alone most of the time and don't carry much, then that is obviously not much of a concern.

I'm not really interested in buying one.
Yes...its too macho a car for you. (just kidding)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-08 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-23-08, 06:31 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know mmarshall's opinion of the SC430 and, (if you look at my signature) I'm pretty biased.

However, that being said, if you're looking for a hard-top convertible, and are looking to spend around $40K, you can get a very nice 2-3 year old CPO SC430 for that. That's exactly what I did and it's awesome! I feel like I got the best of both worlds.

I have the luxury features that come with the high-end car....I have the Lexus dealer/factory service and warranty coverage...all for the same price as the mid-level hard-top convertibles.

As I said, I'm biased but, that's just my thought. I bought a 2003 a little over a year ago for around $40k and just love it to death.

I've looked at the EOS and at the Volvo C70 hard-top. Both are nice cars, no question but, when I sit in one of them and compare it to the SC430, they just pale.

Now, I know we're talking new car versus 2-3 year old car but, we're also talking about new VW reliabilty versus used Lexus reliability...and, if you get a Certified Pre-Owned car, you still have a (almost) factory warranty.

What's your thought on this mmarshall?
Old 03-23-08, 06:35 PM
LexFather

I've only seen a couple in Atlanta. Wow over 38k, oh my.....VW really has to do something about their pricing. Very detailed review, thanks.

And I agree with Habious, CPO SC 430 is a no brainer at that price.

Old 03-23-08, 06:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And I agree with Habious, CPO SC 430 is a no brainer at that price.
Exactly.

And I've been thinking about the possibility too much...

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Volkswagen EOS