Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it the end of Scion? Brand loses sales as 2nd-generation models struggle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 11:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Hve you ever priced one out with some of those options though? At our local Scion Dealer, they had a tC with nothing more than 18" aftermarket rims, leather, and a double DIN head unit I believe selling for $24K
Thats how you make profit. Mini is the best at this, along with the Germans.

Old 03-03-08, 11:29 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scion wasn't suppose to be for repeat buyers, it was suppose to be for those to move up into Toyota's after they purchase a Scion, and I remember a article about how a big percentage of Scions buyers moved into Toyota's
Old 03-03-08, 11:44 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I see new ones all the time. I wouldn't get too worried about January sales since its always the worst month for automakers.

I think Scion could do two things:

1. A redesigned Tc.
2. How bout an affordable hybrid. A hybrid that young people can afford, under $20k. Im 21 and that would certainly grab my attention.
Old 03-03-08, 12:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
Scion wasn't suppose to be for repeat buyers, it was suppose to be for those to move up into Toyota's after they purchase a Scion, and I remember a article about how a big percentage of Scions buyers moved into Toyota's
Correct. Scion is doing it's job, and exactly what Toyota wanted Scion to do. Average age for Scion owners is among the lowest in the industry, and a large percentage of Scion owners are moving into Toyotas. Sales volume for Scion is not the top priority.
Old 03-03-08, 12:45 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever priced one out with some of those options though? At our local Scion Dealer, they had a tC with nothing more than 18" aftermarket rims, leather, and a double DIN head unit I believe selling for $24K
Actually its 31k FULLY LOADED haha
Old 03-03-08, 12:47 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thats how you make profit. Mini is the best at this, along with the Germans.
Yea, profit no kidding. I mean $24K for a tC? I think the rim package was $3000+ for regular old TWS and not Work rims or anything like that. Head Unit was like $1500 or something, and leather was $2500 I think.
Old 03-03-08, 12:49 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Actually its 31k FULLY LOADED haha
Are you serious. I guess those APC clear LED tail lights and all that interior neon really do add up Kind of makes you wonder if people might pay $31K for a Scion, surely they would pay $35K for a Hyundai Genesis
Old 03-03-08, 12:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I see new ones all the time. I wouldn't get too worried about January sales since its always the worst month for automakers.

I think Scion could do two things:

1. A redesigned Tc.
2. How bout an affordable hybrid. A hybrid that young people can afford, under $20k. Im 21 and that would certainly grab my attention.
Now that is an excellent idea. The tC definitely needs and update already. The hybrid would be someting I would be looking at. My theory is Scion supposed to be the hip trendy cater to the import scene, so hopefully if they do come out with a cheap hybrid, it would not only be affordable but look good as well and not geeky or funky looking.
Old 03-03-08, 01:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Yea, profit no kidding. I mean $24K for a tC? I think the rim package was $3000+ for regular old TWS and not Work rims or anything like that. Head Unit was like $1500 or something, and leather was $2500 I think.
point is that you dont have to buy those rims :-).

Buy it basic and customize as you want.

Price wise, Scions have better price points than Toyota's.
Old 03-03-08, 02:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $31k+ for fully loaded xB...

Old 03-03-08, 02:57 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

If Scion can sell it at that price good for them
Old 03-03-08, 03:16 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
13k in accessories, that's 3k less than the base price of the vehicle. Screw that. Buy it basic and go aftermarket. Ta-da!

Now that is an excellent idea. The tC definitely needs and update already. The hybrid would be someting I would be looking at. My theory is Scion supposed to be the hip trendy cater to the import scene, so hopefully if they do come out with a cheap hybrid, it would not only be affordable but look good as well and not geeky or funky looking.
Good luck making a Scion not geeky or funky looking (well I guess the tC is fairly tame.)
Old 03-03-08, 06:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
xB and xD sales both up for February .
Compared to what? 2007 when the previous generation xB & xA were no longer being produced? And the current generation didnt go on sale until the summer of '07? I dont think its that hard to find an increase in sales.

I dont think its been a total flop like what this press is saying (theres still plenty of attractive things about the brand that I do like), I just think they dropped the ball for Scion's second generation of vehicles. IMO I dont think the new xB is an improvement over the previous generation in anyway except for feature content (and the reviews are pretty disappointing as well).

The original was unique and totally different from anything before it. Small, deceivingly roomy inside, incredibly fuel efficient, very low cost. Its was a great package and had a lot of personality. The new one has none of that. Its much larger, gained around 700lbs, costs more, a big drop in fuel efficiency, and looks even worse than the previous model...in my eyes I dont consider that moving forward. And I also dont buy into the "we are now limiting sales" either as the first generation was supposed to be capped as well. The xB wasnt even supposed to be Scions top seller. But that changed when everyone took notice at how great a deal that little toaster was.

It does have some nice features and as stated before pretty interesting (overpriced) accessories, but IMO there was so much potential to make the second gen a lot better than it is now. Kind of like Acura and the new TSX.
Old 03-03-08, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I personally expected this to happen and stated so when this new generation of models came out. they promised to keep things fresh by offering models that were totally different from the model that preceded it but they didn't. They took the previous model and made it bigger with much lower fuel efficiency while increasing prices. Very poor execution for the second generation models ( and they managed to make them look uglier).
I agree they went the wrong direction with the second-generation xB (I was no big fan of the first one either). They blew the car up in size, yanked out the 1.5L four, which was a little low on power but excellent with fuel, and replaced it with the 2.4L, which is not a true gas-guzzler by any means, but obviously can't equal the 1.5L's economy. In a period of lower fuel prices, that wouldn't matter so much, but now we have even 87-octane gas well over $3.00 a gallon in many areas.

And with the new model, they STILL didn't put the xB's speedometer and gauges back behind the steering wheel where they belong....I don't remember if the new model finally got a coolant temperature gauge or not, instead of the idiot lights.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 08:14 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

When Scion debuted targeting young males, and their lineup consisted of reskinned Toyota Echos, I honestly didn't think they would even last until 2008. Young guys don't want ugly, underpowered FWD cars. If they want to appeal to young guys they need 3 types of cars:

1) A high revving, high hp, 4cyl FWD sport coupe. The TC is way too tame. They need an Integra Type-R/Celica GTS kind of car
2) A RWD coupe, they could either go the Mustang/Camaro route with a big V8 or (more likely) the 350Z route with the 3.5L V6 out of the IS350
3) An AWD turbo coupe/sedan to compete with the WRX and Evo

Those are the 3 basic categories of car that appeal to young guys. I would say maybe 90% of young males out there have wanted at least one of those 3 basic car archetypes at one point or another. If they're worried about cost, they could offer less powerful versions of all of the above for those who can't afford the high performance versions. It's really not that difficult to appeal to young males

Quick Reply: Is it the end of Scion? Brand loses sales as 2nd-generation models struggle