Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which car is best considering gas mileage, safety, and quality?
'02-'03 IS 300
14.29%
'01-'03 GS 300
14.29%
'01-'03 GS 430
32.14%
'07 Camry SE V6
32.14%
'05-'06 Camry SE V6
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Complicated car buying decision...I'd appreciate your advice!

Old 02-20-08, 08:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Complicated car buying decision...I'd appreciate your advice!

As a few of you know I was in a horrible car accident last year where my '97 Camry was totaled and I am more or less lucky to be alive. After that I wanted to try something different and got a '01 4Runner SR5 Sport, only to sell it a few months later because I live in Midtown Atlanta and couldn't afford 10MPG in city driving. I knew that at some point I'd receive my insurance settlement and wanted to buy something nice at that point, so after selling the 4Runner I bought an '03 Camry SE 4cyl for the sake of gas mileage.

Well fast forward a few months and my check is about to arrive, but I really have no idea what I want to get. My Camry is still worth about $12,000 and I'm not necessarily looking to spend more than about $20,000 on the new ride. I'm torn between three Lexuses, and two Toyotas but all for different reasons. My three biggest priorities are probably gas mileage, quality, and safety. Also reliability though I know the latter won't be an issue with any of them.

My existing Camry has one little annoying rattle around the windshield but overall I'm very pleased with the quality of the car, and might venture to say that it is better than the new Camry. That said, rattles drive me INSANE and all of the rattle issues that pop up here on new cars and on toyotanation's Camry forums have me concerned about the 2007+ models.

I would love to own a Lexus, not because the name holds more value than Toyota, or it's fast, or luxurious, but really because I think they are the best built cars in the world. After two Camrys and a 4Runner I would love to have something that is built as tight and as carefully as a Lexus. Quality is very important to me and I would like to keep my next car for a while.

So, here are the cars I'm considering...

'02-'03 IS 300
Pros: One of the best driving sedans ever, IMO.
-Reliability
-Smooth and refined Straight 6
-Good looking
-Safety

Cons:Gas mileage seems to be the worst of the five from what I have read (Premium Fuel)
-A bit small
-Not necessarily luxurious, but that's not a big deal

'01-'03 GS 300
Pros: Great looking exterior
-Decent interior space
-Beautifully decorated and built interior, IMO
-Quality
-Reliability and long term dependability
-I love the SportDesign package and would buy a GS 300 if it was one of these, and thankfully there are a few around
-Safety

Cons:
-Gas mileage seems only marginally better than the IS, and same as the GS 430 (Premium Fuel)

'01-'03 GS 430
Pros: Great looking exterior
-Decent interior space
-Beautifully decorated and built interior, IMO
-Quality
-Reliability and long term dependability
-Powerful V8
-Safety

Cons:
-Gas mileage (Premium Fuel)
-Price (for me)

2007 Camry SE V6
Pros: Powerful and yet very efficient V6 (30+MPG highway)
-Looks Good (IMO)
-Safe
-Fun to drive
-Regular Fuel
-Things about the interior that I do like
-Newer

Cons:
-Downgrade plastic on parts of the interior
-Prefer not to buy a first year model
-Worried about rattles and other quality issues

'05-'06 Camry SE V6
Pros: Interior quality seems better than the new model
-Interior is also larger and more open than the new model
-Gas mileage
-Price
-Ultra smooth 3.3L V6

Cons:
-Most bland of the 5
-Some parts of the interior are aged
-Not as fun to drive as the new Camry SE

So that's the best that I have come up with so far, and I would appreciate replies on your opinions. I'm a college student and graduate in Fall '09 so I don't have a whole lot of extra cash lying around. I drive probably 50/50 city and highway also. Also, the decision has to be a Toyota or Lexus, no other brands.

I'm adding a pole so that it will be easier to show your decisions, but please think about your answer based on my criteria, not just which you like best. Also, I don't really plan to mod- maybe a different set of rims or a drop at most.

Thanks guys

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-20-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 08:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW, some of the new Camry owners are putting 3GS wheels on their cars and IMO, it looks fantastic

Old 02-20-08, 09:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The newest gen Camry will provide the most power with gas efficiency. And with performance modifications, can be more "enthusiastic".

Unfortunately, Toyota's 3.0L 2JZ-GE I6 engine and 3.3L 3MZ-FE V6 are not as spunky and gas efficient, and is rather "old". If you had concerns about gas mileage and performance, they may not be the best choices.
Old 02-20-08, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Of the choices you listed, I think the 05-06 Camry SE is the best overall one. The IS300 is probably the most reliable, but uses a lot of premium gas (I know...I had one) and, like most RWD cars, is lousy on wet/slick roads, even with traction aids. The 07 Camry is too cheap and flimsy inside, especially on the dash, and the GS models you mention, to an extent, repeat the weaknesses of the IS with gas mileage and poor-weather traction.

However, a word of advice. Stay away from the earlier Camrys with the 3.0L V6...you could get one stuck with the infamous oil sludge/gel issue. If you buy one, make sure you have documented service and oil change records.

'05-'06 Camry SE V6

Cons:
-Most bland of the 5
-Some parts of the interior are aged
-Not as fun to drive as the new Camry SE
IMO, you are worrying about these "Cons" too much. There's a whole lot more to driving and car ownership than just "excitement" and corner-carving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 10:29 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Out of the choices above, I like the IS300 - looks, power, sporty, great resale value, fit and finish, reliability, huge aftermarket/parts market.

The Camry is a great car but there is a bland factor - after a while it'll just be a car to get you from A to B. For me, I need a car that at least gets my blood flowing everytime I walk up to my car, step in and start the engine

If resale value is a concern, then you would probably lose the most money with a 07 Camry since it will depreciate significantly in the first couple of years. I was never fond of the older GS design...I think it's the quad headlights that bugs me haha.
Old 02-20-08, 10:59 AM
LexFather

You will love the GS 430.......it will bring a grin to you every time you start it up....

Old 02-20-08, 11:05 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Among the choices you provided I would pick the 01-03 GS300. But if I have to pick I probably would buy a new 08 Honda Accord 4 cylinder EX with 190hp. If your Camry is still worth $12,000 all you need is add another $13,000 and save those 7 grands.
Old 02-20-08, 11:18 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

GS430......thats all I have to say
Old 02-20-08, 11:28 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS430 all the way!
Old 02-20-08, 11:32 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto jewcano - gs430. if i had to do it over again, it'd be a gs430. it actually gets better gas mileage than the gs300.
Old 02-20-08, 12:28 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For 20k, get something new instead of those older cars for a change. Honda Civic si, Mazda 3, Scion TC are great cars.
Old 02-20-08, 01:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Hmm i really like the camry se, all of em, but i have never really looked at the interior of the new on to notice the lousy interior, i think honestly that the 2007 camry se would be nice, and if there are rattles, i am sure there would be a delaership warrenty to get them fixed
Old 02-20-08, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
For 20k, get something new instead of those older cars for a change. Honda Civic si, Mazda 3, Scion TC are great cars.
I agree with this suggestion...and that is what I would also do, but too many people want something older and bigger for the same amount of money. It doesn't always make sense.
Old 02-20-08, 03:58 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember the Camrys you can run 87 octane fuel, that will help with the cast of gas.
Old 02-20-08, 04:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Unfortunately, Toyota's 3.0L 2JZ-GE I6 engine and 3.3L 3MZ-FE V6 are not as spunky and gas efficient, and is rather "old". If you had concerns about gas mileage and performance, they may not be the best choices.
Despite being a bit short on power, the 3MZ-FE actually does get pretty fantastic gas mileage...around 31 or 32 MPG on the highway in the Camry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complicated car buying decision...I'd appreciate your advice!