Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Introduces Full Hybrid Version of Crown

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 09:57 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Introduces Full Hybrid Version of Crown

Toyota Motor has redesigned its Crown luxury sedan lineup in Japan, and added a full-hybrid model based on a THS (Toyota Hybrid System) II system. Toyota had shown a THS II-based concept version of the Crown at the Tokyo Motor Show last year. (Earlier post.) Toyota had introduced a mild-hybrid version of the Crown in 2001.

The new Crown hybrid combines a rear-wheel drive THS II hybrid system with a 2GR-FSE D4-S 3.5-liter V6 engine (also used in the Lexus IS and GS 350) and a NiMH battery pack. The hybrid goes on sale in Japan on 6 May.

The D4-S combines port and direct injection, with two injectors per cylinder—one injector installed in the combustion chamber and a second mounted in the intake port. The combination of direct injection with port injection enables a more precise mixing of air and fuel under low- and medium-load conditions. Under high-load, the engine will use direct injection alone. The engine as applied in the Crown Hybrid is rated at 218 kW (292 hp) at 6,400 rpm and 368 Nm (271 lb-ft) of torque at 4,800 rpm.

The Crown’s THS II system features a two-stage motor speed reduction device, also used in the motors of the GS 450h and LS 600h, to generate maximum low-gear torque for significantly enhanced acceleration, as well as extended high-gear performance for high speed cruising with improved fuel efficiency. The 147 kW electric motor delivers 275 Nm (203 lb-ft) of maximum torque.

Toyota says that the Crown Hybrid has the driving performance of a 4.5-liter vehicle with the low fuel consumption of a 2.0-liter vehicle.

The Crown Hybrid achieves a fuel efficiency of 14.0 km/l (33 mpg US or 7.1 L/100km) according to the newly introduced JC08 test cycle outlined by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MLIT). It is among the first vehicles to meet the new 2015 Japanese fuel efficiency standards. The vehicle also achieves the equivalent of 166 g/km of CO2 emissions.

Under the traditional 10-15 test cycle, the fuel efficiency is 15.8 km/l (37 mpg US, 6.3 L/100km), surpassing the existing 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 20%, with CO2 emissions of 147 g/km.)

An electric vehicle (EV) driving mode permits the driver, by pressing a button, to operate the vehicle using the electric motor only. An Active Noise Control function uses the speakers to cancel out low-frequency engine noise) to provide an even quieter ride.

The Crown Hybrid is priced at ¥6,190,000 (US$57,239).
Source: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...-introduc.html
Old 02-18-08, 10:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

"Toyota says that the Crown Hybrid has the driving performance of a 4.5-liter vehicle with the low fuel consumption of a 2.0-liter vehicle."

Of course, this is the same car as the GS450h.
Old 02-18-08, 10:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

Looks better than the GS (at least the front) imho ...
Old 02-18-08, 10:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is just simply amazing, I want this car.
Old 02-18-08, 10:39 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

they need to plug this into all the lexus cars. the ES is a prime example
Old 02-18-08, 10:58 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it's cheaper than the GSh (in Canada) or similiarly priced in the US.

So they've decided to ditch the mild hybrid eh?
Old 02-18-08, 11:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
they need to plug this into all the lexus cars. the ES is a prime example
Exactly. Hmmm, the gas mileage of a Camry hybrid, yet so much more power. It almosts seems trivial to even buy a Camry hybrid with thing running around. Other than the cost difference. Hopefully we will see it Stateside in the ES, Avavlon, IS, etc.
Old 02-18-08, 11:34 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Crown!!!
Old 02-18-08, 11:50 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

How does the Japanese test cycle translate to US standards?
Old 02-18-08, 11:57 AM
RXSF

How does the Japanese test cycle translate to US standards?
one would think they are sticter over there because...well...its japan. but, 37mpg seems too good to be true for 292 horses. plus this is still the NiMH batteries in the back. cant wait for lithium as long as they dont explode.

my guess is that the lexus dedicated hybrid coming out next year will back this technology. probably 300 horses.
Old 02-18-08, 12:13 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

No, their test cycle is far more lax - I think 15%-25% more optimistic than the EPA test cycle (old). But I don't remember the exact numbers which is why I asked.
Old 02-18-08, 12:18 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I love this car. This is my third favorite Toyota vehicle in the current Toyota lineup, only behind LS and IS. I don't understand why Toyota does not bring this car over to the U.S.? It is available in China. If Nissan could sell a $70k GT-R, why Toyota can not sell a $55k Crown, when a $80k Land Cruiser is available here? Toyota is so famous for its comfortable, reliable sedans, why not Crown as the new flagship for Toyota, above Camry and Avalon. Now then the sedan lineup is complete:

Toyota Yaris -> Toyota Corolla -> Toyota Camry 4 cyl -> Toyota Camry 6 cyl -> Toyota Camry Hybrid -> Toyota Avalon -> Lexus IS250 -> Lexus IS350 -> Lexus GS350 -> Lexus GS460 -> Toyota Crown Hybrid ~ Lexus GS450h -> Lexus LS460/LS460L -> Lexus LS600hL
Old 02-18-08, 12:23 PM
RXSF

Lexus IS250 -> Lexus IS350 -> Lexus GS350 -> Lexus GS460 -> Toyota Crown Hybrid ~ Lexus GS450h
...you answered your question right there. when we blur the line between toyota and lexus, when does it stop? why would anybody buy the GS if they could be a toyota Crown hybrid for the same amount of money. or vice versa. its setting two cars in the same company competing with each other.

the thing is that nobody wants to drive a 50K toyota when they could be driving a more prestigious GS or and E Class or for that matter an infiniti or acura. Toyota sedans cannot reach above 35K if they want to survive. moving into the 50K range is setting the crown up for failure against premium class sedans.
Old 02-18-08, 12:40 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And they always had a Crown Hybrid out...whats so much better about this one??
Old 02-18-08, 01:06 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
...you answered your question right there. when we blur the line between toyota and lexus, when does it stop? why would anybody buy the GS if they could be a toyota Crown hybrid for the same amount of money. or vice versa. its setting two cars in the same company competing with each other.

the thing is that nobody wants to drive a 50K toyota when they could be driving a more prestigious GS or and E Class or for that matter an infiniti or acura. Toyota sedans cannot reach above 35K if they want to survive. moving into the 50K range is setting the crown up for failure against premium class sedans.
Then why are there both Land Cruiser and LX570? Land Cruiser is more expensive than most Lexus vehicles. And Land Cruiser looks so similar to LX570, at least much more similar than between Crown and GS. And I believe many people buy their cars without knowing much about RWD or FWD and how many speed does the automatic transmission has, they just like the look, like the ride, like the price, and that's it. Also, just because Crown Hybrid is sold for $56k in Japan, doesn't mean we can't have a more base model for $10k less. In my eyes, GS and Crown are very differently styled sedans, not much similarities between them if you don't delve into their mechanical details. I personally prefer this Crown styling more than the current GS's styling, so if I am going to buy a $50k sedan I would go for the Crown. In fact, Crown is not only competing against GS, it is also helping Toyota Motor to compete against E-class and A6 and 5-series and XF, more like a 1-2 punch from Toyota/Lexus. Many auto companies have models almost duplicating each other, not just these two. Look at a fully loaded V6 Accord and TL, both of them are selling very very well, and they are pretty close price-wise, feature-wise, size-wise, performance-wise. And one of them is from Honda when the other one is Acura. I don't see people complaing if one of them is stealing the others' sales. Not everyone is aiming for prestige and status, some low-keyed people probably prefer to drive a Toyota vehicle that offers Lexus quality? Who knows? Who set this $35k line? We are not talking about 400k units annually like Camry or Corolla, but selling 30k units a year is not impossible, and shouldn't be ashamed of that, considering the development cost is already there, so why not expand it to more markets, let alone the largest automobile market in the world? If China could have Crown, so do we. If Japan could have all of these, why not us? You think GS is not available in Japan? Why do they have both, according to your idea?

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 02-18-08 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Introduces Full Hybrid Version of Crown