Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas-Guzzler Tax: Just Turn it On

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
how many people do you see commuting every day, alone, in gas guzzlers? i see people doing 80 in f250's all alone all the time; whoo hooo 12 mpg bizzle! i suppose it all depends on your locale, but here in louisville, most of these huge trucks and suv's are used as status symbols. i never see anyone hauling anything in the back of their truck. never do i see a van or suv full of people or kids. occasionally i see someone towing a trailer but then it's a farm truck or some other work related truck, so the costs are most likely write off's anyway.

basically, it's just silly for people to drive these monsters everyday all alone with no purpose other than to "feel safe and sit higher". if they can afford the vehicle, they can afford the tax. if not, don't buy it, since the majority of them don't need it anyway. if you need it that badly, then you'll find a way to pay the taxes.
While I'm a strong believer in automotive free choice, 19psi, unfortunately, is correct at least to some extent. Driving full-sized, truck-based vehicles around without a real need for them, just so you can say you own one, keep up with the Jones's, or because you like its high seating position doesn't make much sense to me. These vehicles were designed to move people and cargo, not feed one's ego.

And even the arguement about "feeling safe" doesn't necessarily hold water. While it is true that the mass and weight of these vehicles does offer some collision protection, it is also true that, being legally classifieded as trucks, they lack some Federal safety features that are required on cars, and their high center of gravity, despite the wide stance between the wheels for stability, increases their tendency to roll over in sharp manuvers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-08 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 03:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
how many people do you see commuting every day, alone, in gas guzzlers? i see people doing 80 in f250's all alone all the time; whoo hooo 12 mpg bizzle! i suppose it all depends on your locale, but here in louisville, most of these huge trucks and suv's are used as status symbols. i never see anyone hauling anything in the back of their truck. never do i see a van or suv full of people or kids. occasionally i see someone towing a trailer but then it's a farm truck or some other work related truck, so the costs are most likely write off's anyway.
do i have a v8 suv? yes, but i don't commute in it, and i use it for it's purpose; off roading. unless it snows, then i do commute, but we rarely get snow. i also use it to tow my trailer or cars that i buy to re sell. that's it.
i didn't buy it new either so this kind of tax wouldn't apply anyway.

basically, it's just silly for people to drive these monsters everyday all alone with no purpose other than to "feel safe and sit higher". if they can afford the vehicle, they can afford the tax. if not, don't buy it, since the majority of them don't need it anyway. if you need it that badly, then you'll find a way to pay the taxes.
you nailed it!

there's a 'progressive' registration tax in the works that will be based on fuel efficiency....now gas guzzlers will get taxed yearly as well as when initially purchased
Old 02-19-08, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
there's a 'progressive' registration tax in the works that will be based on fuel efficiency....now gas guzzlers will get taxed yearly as well as when initially purchased
There is? Federally, or just where you are in Texas? No exceptions? So someone who is poor who drives an old fuel-inefficient pickup for example is going to get clobbered?
Old 02-19-08, 11:46 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow, that's awful. No wonder there's SO many cheap cars on the road in Canada.

Revised:
A $50K V8 SUV will pay:
- about 15% sales tax or $7.5K
- 3% old gas guzzler tax or $1.5K
- $4K new gas guzzler tax
- 3% luxury tax or $1.5K
TOTAL TAX: $14,500 or 29% of the purchase price.

Still sick.
Here's a snapshot of the Lexus LS570 with the Ultra Premium Package. MSRP is $94,900. After tax, it's $113,631. The "Social Services Tax" is PST and luxury tax clumped together. The "Green Levy" is $2,000 for the LX so half the maximum. (I suppose it's the exotics that get the full $4,000).

Edit: Look at the PDI. It's $1,780.

The sad thing is that I tried to build and price a Grand Cherokee Overland (with the Hemi). Their build section doesn't include taxes in the final configured price I wonder why
Old 02-20-08, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thanks Nextourer - so that's almost 20% in taxes/fees in Canada on an LX570. Ouch. No wonder Lexus dropped the price some $16K.
Old 02-20-08, 05:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. You guys got it cheap :P. Even an ES tops out at $50,000 before taxes.

Slightly back on topic, we just got approved for a Carbon Tax! (whoopee).

It'll be on the price of fuel. 2.4¢/litre extra starting in July topping out at 7.4¢/litre in 2012. I'm sure the GST will be taxed on top of that . Dunno about the east coast but currently, it's sitting at $1.149/litre (That's $4.34/gal using 1:1 exchange rate) and that's 87 Regular fuel. Premium (91) is just under $5/gal and well 94 is above $5/gal before the carbon tax.