Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti EX35

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 01:33 PM
Lennox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Infiniti EX35

Hi Everyone -

The lease on one of our vehicles is up in June and we've actually started looking to get out sooner just because we want something new right now. BUt the price/deal have to be right. The current vehicle is a 2005 Acura MDX with 30k miles. It's in mint condition, because I take care of our cars.

Anyway, we went and test drop the Infiniti EX on Friday and loved it. The car is basically like driving the coupe but it's somewhat of a hatch back. I know it's not for all, but we really enjoyed it.

I've been trying to talk him into getting a 2-door sportscar like a G37 or a Cayman. WE decided that we want to have some type of an SUV in case we have to haul stuff. The other car is my IS. I have to say I was skeptical of the way the car looks like a little FX, but I was pleasantly surprised. AFter thinking about it we realized that we never really use all of the space in the MDX so we could do without. So, the EX is perfect. It gives us the SUV feel/space that we need and the G37 feel and driving experience. Plus we're getting the tech package which has the 360 degree camera, lane departure prevention and warning system and the hard drive, plus the ipod integration on the car is awesome!

Anyway we were in negotiations with the dealer all day on Saturday and are still waiting to hear what they say on Monday. HOpefully it's a go.

If all works well, we'll have an IS250 and an EX35 in our garage. And when my lease is up next March I'll be the one getting the nice little sports car

Just thought some people might be interested in a quick review of the EX. I'll keep anyone interested posted on the driving experience!
Old 02-17-08, 01:41 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

USA Today just reviewed the Infiniti EX35 yesterday. Here's a link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...iti-ex35_N.htm

Verdict: Cramped interior, gas guzzler (14 mpg test mileage), jiggly ride

All and all one of the harshest reviews I've read from Healey. I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong forum too.
Old 02-17-08, 01:45 PM
Mystery_is
Driver

seriously wrong area for this
Old 02-17-08, 01:52 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Yeah, those infiniti engines are pretty cool but they guzzle like a gasoholic....
Old 02-17-08, 01:54 PM
Lennox
Driver School Candidate

sorry guys...i've not posted a lot of messages and didn't know there was another area for that. can anyone tell me how to move it so i don't get yelled at?
Old 02-17-08, 01:56 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Too late for that, the mods will do it for you.
Old 02-17-08, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Infiniti EX35's tight, but the engine ... whoa (USA Today)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/review

Infiniti EX35's tight, but the engine ... whoa

Infiniti's EX35 offers some fun behind the wheel, though you might feel more than a little cramped.

Infiniti's EX35 offers some fun behind the wheel, though you might feel more than a little cramped.

Infiniti's 2008 EX35 is an annoying little conveyance. It is fitted with a sweet engine and abundant technology, but also a disappointing transmission and jittery suspension — all wrapped in a package too tight for most people.

It's a small, luxury, crossover SUV, a subsegment that's hot at the moment. Infiniti says it competes with Acura RDX, BMW X3, Lexus RX.

Automakers like "X."

EX35's closest mechanical relative is the Infiniti G coupe. EX is not Infiniti's version of parent Nissan's Rogue; entirely different chassis and hardware.

The last vehicle Nissan sold that felt this cramped was the F10 of the 1970s and '80s, when the company went by the name Datsun in the USA.

The EX35's measurements are larger, but the "let-me-outta-here" feeling is about the same. While there's plenty of front legroom, there's very little in back. Interior width is compromised, and headroom is on the shy side.

Infiniti's response: baloney.

The fit is trim, Infiniti says, because it's supposed to be coupelike, and coupes tend toward a tailored fit.

It's aimed mainly at people with no kids, so a tight back seat is a non-issue. Instead, it's for people who like two-door cars with sleek rooflines but need more space and utility.

Yes, but. In two weeks of suburban driving in the guise of a coupe person, not looking to tote kids or much else, the EX never was wholly pleasant.

Here's what stood out, plus and minus, in the Journey test car, a mega-optioned, high-end all-wheel-drive:

•Engine. The Nissan/Infiniti 3.5-liter V-6 is a honey, derived from the oh-boy powerplant of Nissan's 350Z sports car.

In the EX, it's tuned for decent low-speed power, so you don't feel deprived in sluggish traffic. It also delivers explosive performance when the engine builds speed. Merging, passing and having fun are just a push away.

It's such a delight that you'll probably have your foot heavily on the throttle often. If so, mileage easily falls below the 16 mpg city rating on the window sticker. You pay to play.

Nissan
The well-done interior offers handy controls.

•Interior furnishings. Nicely done. Big change from a few years ago when you bought an Infiniti despite the cheap plastic and subpar controls.

•Steering. Feels good, plus the turning circle is unusually tight.

•Suspension. Jiggled, joggled and jittered almost all the time. It was well beyond what's necessary for crisp handling (which it had).

Infiniti disagrees completely. Says EX is the smoothest-riding Infiniti and scored well in prelaunch consumer research. The test EX must have been from a different planet.

•Transmission. It upshifted fine but paused too long on hard-throttle downshifts. Took a lot of the fun out of driving in the manner encouraged by the lovely, lively V-6.

So use the manual-shift mode, for cryin' out loud, Infiniti says.

Beyond those items, the vehicle's optional technology packages were salient, not always in a good way. The automaker says that likely EX buyers love tech, and you surely get as much as you can stand in the EX, if you care to pay extra.

For instance:

The backup camera is among the best and brightest. It furnishes two sets of backup lines on the screen. One tells you where straight back is. The other angles left or right as you steer, to show where you're actually pointing. Color zones on the lines tell how close to clobbering something you are.

You also can get an "around-view monitor." Cameras show what's ahead, and to the sides when backing. Reveals obstacles such as the short post by the front fender that — look out! — will wreck your fender and wheel if you don't adjust your steering PDQ. Useful. Nicely executed.

A so-called lane departure warning (LDW) beeps if its senses you are drifting out of your traffic lane instead of changing lanes or turning. Could be useful on long highway runs, where drowsiness is an issue. But miserably aggravating most of the time because it requires you to drive straighter and truer than almost anybody does. You can turn it off, if you can find the under-dash switch.

Lane departure prevention (LDP) goes a step further. It applies brakes selectively to aim you back into the lane if you stray. Can be startling until you get used to it.

Automakers believe LDW and LDP, the latter pioneered by Infiniti, are necessary if we ever get to automated highways. Combined with other technologies, they'll help the car drive itself, so people can do safely what they already do unsafely — read the paper, apply makeup, talk on the phone.

SmartShield paint is supposed to "heal" swirl marks and small scratches. The feature wasn't tested.

The test car's tailgate failed to consistently raise fully, drifting up just far enough to scalp people. No groundswell of complaints, Infiniti says, suggesting the test car had an individual flaw.

If you can stand the coffin fit and jiggly ride, the vehicle's well-done controls and gauges, combined with a besotting engine and tight handling, might be enough to keep the EX on your list.

ABOUT THE INFINITI EX35

•What is it? Small, four-door, crossover SUV new to Infiniti line. Available with rear-wheel drive (RWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD), in base or up-level Journey versions. Manufactured at Tochigi, Japan.

•How soon? Since December.

•How much? Base, RWD model starts at $32,015, including $715 destination charge. High-end Journey AWD starts at $36,965.

Test vehicle, Journey AWD, with more options than anybody really needs, was $45,015.

Nissan
EX35 features a coat hook on the headrest.

Expect to pay full sticker price, online car-shopping sites say.

•What's the drivetrain? 3.5-liter V-6 rated 297 horsepower at 6,800 rpm, 253 pounds-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm, five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode, traction control. Optional AWD sends up to 50% of power to front wheels as needed.

•What's the safety gear? Belts; front- and side-impact bags for front seats; front and rear head-curtain bags; anti-skid control; anti-lock brakes.

•What's the rest? Standard: automatic climate control, AM/FM/CD stereo with input jack and XM satellite radio; power steering, brakes, locks, windows, seats, mirrors; remote-control locks with proximity key; trip computer; cruise control; fog lights.

Journey, which Infiniti says most will buy, also has: moon roof, leather, power-folding second-row seats, auto-dimming mirror; auto on-off headlights.

•How big? 182.3 inches long, 71 inches wide, 62.6 inches tall with roof rails; 110.2-inch wheelbase. Passenger space: 107.1 cubic feet. Cargo space: 18.6 cubic feet behind rear seat, 47.4 cubic feet with second row folded.

Weight: 3,752 to 3,953 pounds, varies by model. Rated to carry 948 pounds (base model) or 1,076 pounds (Journey) of people and cargo. Turning circle diameter is listed as 36 feet (AWD) or 34.8 feet (RWD).

•How thirsty? Rated 17 miles per gallon in town, 24 on the highway, 19 combined equipped with RWD, 16/23/19 with AWD. AWD test car's trip computer showed 14.2 in vigorous suburban driving.

Fuel tank is 20 gallons; premium recommended. Lower octane OK, but 3% power loss, Infiniti says.

•Overall: Cramped and jiggly. Not for robust people or those with robust needs. Great engine.

Old 02-17-08, 04:27 PM
LexFather

Here is MMarshall's superb review.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=336117

Old 02-17-08, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Plus we're getting the tech package which has the 360 degree camera, lane departure prevention and warning system and the hard drive, plus the ipod integration on the car is awesome!
If you do get the Lane Departure Warning system, you will probably end up switching it off. The constant buzzing and beeping can drive you nuts, particularly on a narrow two-lane road, if you don't stay EXACTLY in the middle of the lane.

I didn't have that system on the EX35 I drove, but did have some experience with it on the M45 and other Infinitis.

Overall, though, the EX35 is a superb small SUV...if you want one, you certainly have my blessing. Just make sure that any adults you regularly carry can fit in back with the front seat where you normally have it......rear legroom/footroom, one of the car's few weak points (see my review) is definitely Munchkin-sized. And see if the steering is too light for you...it was a little overboosted for my tastes, but the ride/handling and chassis engineering is excellent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-08 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-17-08, 04:39 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any SUV and truck that drives more like a car and even a sporty car gets my vote. Still not sure on the looks of the EX, but if it is the same engine and drivetrain as the G35 I would love it. I really liked it in the 07 G35S I drove. Felt powerful, connected, and smooth. Hard to compare to my 9 year old 99 LS, but it felt more powerful and smooth. Now, how that translates into the EX drive is another story, but I do like that VQ engine and trans.

$45K for an AWD Journey is pretty expensive though.I'd probably buy something else for that kind of money.
Old 02-17-08, 05:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Any SUV and truck that drives more like a car and even a sporty car gets my vote. Still not sure on the looks of the EX, but if it is the same engine and drivetrain as the G35 I would love it. I really liked it in the 07 G35S I drove. Felt powerful, connected, and smooth. Hard to compare to my 9 year old 99 LS, but it felt more powerful and smooth. Now, how that translates into the EX drive is another story, but I do like that VQ engine and trans.

$45K for an AWD Journey is pretty expensive though.I'd probably buy something else for that kind of money.
I'd pay no more than 35k for it. Why is this 45k? Does Jessica Alba come with it? They are pricing themselves seriously out the market or relying on their usual lease deals. There is hardly any utility, might as well take the "U" out of the SUV name.

Its over 3700lbs and 4000lbs AWD. Has the same old 5 speed auto. Dismal gas mileage. 18.6 cubic feet of room, the G35 has 13.6. You're not losing much.

Its amazing they go with this "advance" theme with some incredible features like the all around view monitors and nice interior than "don't advance" with a 5 speed auto and gas mileage that makes a dinosaur cringe and heavy weight for a smaller SUV.

So out of curiosity, I looked at RX specs, as I am not to familiar. You get 20 more cubic feet of space and the car is larger and weighs barely any more. The gas mileage for both is pretty much identical. You can EASILY get a nice RX for 45 grand. As for image, you can say the RX is a "womans" car, fine, but Infiniti squarely aimed the EX for woman so that is a moot point.

Yes the EX is sportier and newer but "advance"? More like "confused".

Old 02-17-08, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'd pay no more than 35k for it. Why is this 45k? .
I agree that 45K is a lot of money, but part of it is the quality of materials that goes into this car. Infiniti did NOT skimp like they did with some of the last-generation, Carlos Ghosn-dictated vehicles. In some areas, the EX35 materials beat that of the RX350, which, as you note, is larger but more or less equally-priced.
Old 02-17-08, 06:04 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that 45K is a lot of money, but part of it is the quality of materials that goes into this car. Infiniti did NOT skimp like they did with some of the last-generation, Carlos Ghosn-dictated vehicles. In some areas, the EX35 materials beat that of the RX350, which, as you note, is larger but more or less equally-priced.

I would agree that Infiniti materials and fit and finished has taken a dramatic step upward. This is not a problem for Infiniti anymore IMHO. Still though, $45K for this car is too much. This should be right around Acura RDX price in the mid $30K range. Given the size of the EX and the price difference, I'd take the RDX over it for a cool $7K less. For around $45K, give me a BMW 335i Sedan.
Old 02-17-08, 06:11 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lennox
Hi Everyone -

The lease on one of our vehicles is up in June and we've actually started looking to get out sooner just because we want something new right now. BUt the price/deal have to be right. The current vehicle is a 2005 Acura MDX with 30k miles. It's in mint condition, because I take care of our cars.

Anyway, we went and test drop the Infiniti EX on Friday and loved it. The car is basically like driving the coupe but it's somewhat of a hatch back. I know it's not for all, but we really enjoyed it.

I've been trying to talk him into getting a 2-door sportscar like a G37 or a Cayman. WE decided that we want to have some type of an SUV in case we have to haul stuff. The other car is my IS. I have to say I was skeptical of the way the car looks like a little FX, but I was pleasantly surprised. AFter thinking about it we realized that we never really use all of the space in the MDX so we could do without. So, the EX is perfect. It gives us the SUV feel/space that we need and the G37 feel and driving experience. Plus we're getting the tech package which has the 360 degree camera, lane departure prevention and warning system and the hard drive, plus the ipod integration on the car is awesome!

Anyway we were in negotiations with the dealer all day on Saturday and are still waiting to hear what they say on Monday. HOpefully it's a go.

If all works well, we'll have an IS250 and an EX35 in our garage. And when my lease is up next March I'll be the one getting the nice little sports car

Just thought some people might be interested in a quick review of the EX. I'll keep anyone interested posted on the driving experience!

Its a nice SUV and most reviews of it have been great. If you like it, then thats all that matters. No need to pay attention to those who think its overpriced. Good luck on the purchase...I'm sure you won't regret it
Old 02-17-08, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I would agree that Infiniti materials and fit and finished has taken a dramatic step upward. This is not a problem for Infiniti anymore IMHO. Still though, $45K for this car is too much. This should be right around Acura RDX price in the mid $30K range. Given the size of the EX and the price difference, I'd take the RDX over it for a cool $7K less. For around $45K, give me a BMW 335i Sedan.
Yes, the 335i is a superb sport sedan (see my recent review), and I consider it a better deal than an M3, but you can't directly compare it to the EX35. They are two totally different vehicles built for two different purposes.

Likewise, the RDX is also a snappy handler and, with its first-ever Honda/Acura turbo 4, has plenty of low-RPM torque (it actually feels faster than the EX35 at some throttle openings) but, again, apples and oranges. It is generally a more sport-oriented vehicle and lacks the EX35's warm interior and superb fit/finish....the RDX has a colder, metallic, high-tech-look.

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX35