Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

MM Review....2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-08, 12:44 PM   #31
geko29
Oil Burner
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 3,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
In fact, with 13/18 EPA figures, I don't know why my test vehicle didn't have the Federal Gas-Guzzler tax.....unless some SUVs are exempt.
Actually, ALL SUVs are exempt, because.....





wait for it.....





they're NOT passenger vehicles! At least not according to the government.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 12:48 PM   #32
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 50,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Actually, ALL SUVs are exempt, because.....





wait for it.....





they're NOT passenger vehicles! At least not according to the government.

That's going to change, at least to some extent, when the new round of CAFE rules just passed takes effect. They won't be limited just to passenger cars.
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 01:03 PM   #33
rosskoss
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
I guess when I say the second-gen system is "a little more sophisticated", it is a just a matter of how each of us views it. I haven't actually tested or revied the new GM hybrid......I'm going by how it was described and displayed at the auto shows and how the GM product people described it.
It doesn't matter how you or I view it, the system is actually more complex and sophisticated. This isn't politics.
rosskoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 03:54 PM   #34
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 50,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosskoss View Post
It doesn't matter how you or I view it, the system is actually more complex and sophisticated. This isn't politics.


You would be surprised at how much politics there actually is in car design......Every single model offered for sale has to be DOT/NHTSA-approved, and certified by EPA and/or CARB (California Air Resources Board).

Long gone are the days when auto manufacturers made most of their own decisions....many of the rules today come from Washington and California, and the companies have to work within those rules.

But back to the GM hybrid system. I know the second-gen system is more complex than the first....we agree, and don't have to keep discussing that point.

I myself would like to see more diesels come out...I've said, many times, that they offer, in many instances, comparable mileage to hybrids with less complexity. In fact, a diesel, with the typical diesel high towing limit, would make a good powerplant for the vehicle I reviewed.....the Sequoia. And it would certainly do better than the 5.7L V8's dismal 13/18 MPG ratings.
__________________

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-09-08 at 04:15 PM..
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 07:58 PM   #35
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: tx
Posts: 1,015
Default

GMT-900 hybrids:
limited availability starting early 2008
Mr. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 04:25 AM   #36
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
You would be surprised at how much politics there actually is in car design......Every single model offered for sale has to be DOT/NHTSA-approved, and certified by EPA and/or CARB (California Air Resources Board).

Long gone are the days when auto manufacturers made most of their own decisions....many of the rules today come from Washington and California, and the companies have to work within those rules.

But back to the GM hybrid system. I know the second-gen system is more complex than the first....we agree, and don't have to keep discussing that point.

I myself would like to see more diesels come out...I've said, many times, that they offer, in many instances, comparable mileage to hybrids with less complexity. In fact, a diesel, with the typical diesel high towing limit, would make a good powerplant for the vehicle I reviewed.....the Sequoia. And it would certainly do better than the 5.7L V8's dismal 13/18 MPG ratings.
new V8 diesel would actually get >50% better mpg in city situations and 30-40% on the highway, yeah.

are you willing to deal with the noise and increased complexity though? Diesel engines are actually a lot less reliable than petrol these days. And hybrid Toyotas are currently most reliable Toyotas.

Obviously perfomance wise, it is a lot closer to 4.7 than 5.7.
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 05:11 PM   #37
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 50,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
are you willing to deal with the noise and increased complexity though? Diesel engines are actually a lot less reliable than petrol these days.
But are you sure that the unreliability is because of the engine itself? Don't forget, in the American market, most of the currently available car diesels are either VW or Mercedes-sourced...two brands noted for their overall unreliability (a real shame, too, because 1980's vintage Mercedes and Peugeot diesels, here in America, were then the best on the market).

Diesel engines from other manufacturers may or may not share that unreliability....and I'm aware that many diesels curently sold in Europe are not offered in the U.S.
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 05:32 PM   #38
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,689
Send a message via AIM to Och
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
But are you sure that the unreliability is because of the engine itself? Don't forget, in the American market, most of the currently available car diesels are either VW or Mercedes-sourced...two brands noted for their overall unreliability (a real shame, too, because 1980's vintage Mercedes and Peugeot diesels, here in America, were then the best on the market).

Diesel engines from other manufacturers may or may not share that unreliability....and I'm aware that many diesels curently sold in Europe are not offered in the U.S.
I'm not an expert on Diesels, so take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I heard from a friend that owns a few years old Ford E350 diesel and a brand new F350 diesel.

1) Older diesel engines suffer from the new low-sulfur diesel fuel, as it doesn't have some sort of lubricant.
2) The new diesels are over complicated with a system of filters, sensors, high pressure hoses, complex EGR, and are high maintenance and unlikely to be reliable. Also, the fuel mileage seems to suffer in the new clean diesels.

Although I have to admit, the exaust of his F350 does not smell at all. The older E350 stinks badly.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 05:15 AM   #39
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 50,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
2) The new diesels are over complicated with a system of filters, sensors, high pressure hoses, complex EGR, and are high maintenance and unlikely to be reliable. Also, the fuel mileage seems to suffer in the new clean diesels.
Interesting point. And, when the new urea-injection systems become more widespread, diesels will probably become even more complex....and require urea refills. Still, it won't be as complex as hybrids with a gas engine and one or more electric motors (some Toyota/Lexus hybrids have a gas engine and THREE electric motors...that's why they cost so much).
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 12:57 AM   #40
pagemaster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MIchigan
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
MINUSES:



No underhood insulation pad.

Jumpy throttle from rest.

Ungainly handling.

Numb steering.

Generally poorly-finished interior.

Unpleasant seat leather.

Hard-to-use ignition switch.

Tinny-sounding doors.

Thick A-pillars/grab handles impede forward vision.

More orange peel in the paint than other Toyota/Lexus products.

Funeral-home paint colors.

Dash Gauges set too deeply in tunnels.

Somewhat spongy, ineffective brakes.

Pricey with options.

No protective side body mouldings for parking-lot dings.

Marginal headroom for very tall people, even with the high roofline.

Flimsy, cheap grille.

Poor gas mileage (but, of course, you will have that with any large V8 SUV).

With comments like these. It looks like Toyota pretty much re-created a 1997 GMC Yukon.

Quote:
you will have to put up with a conventional key and a small, hard-to-see and hard-to-use ignition switch on the side of the steering column.
This boggles my mind. How did Toyota go from a dash mounted key hole on the first gen Sequoia to a column mounted key hole on the second gen?


Even worse.....How does the Corolla come equipped with a dash mounted push button start yet the $55k Sequioa use the column mounted key....but wait it is possible to get a power telescoping steering column.
pagemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 01:02 AM   #41
pagemaster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MIchigan
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
) designed to ford deep creek beds and jungle trails, crawl over large rocks, and scale the side of cliffs like a mountain goat.
Ok..maybe scaling the side of cliffs like a mountain goat is pushing it
pagemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 04:22 AM   #42
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 50,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemaster View Post


Ok..maybe scaling the side of cliffs like a mountain goat is pushing it
In this passage, I was talking about the Land Cruiser, not the Sequoia (I later, on request, reviewed a Land Cruiser). The Sequoia, though with a large, heavy-duty frame, is premarily an on-pavement vehicle, designed to haul people, cargo, and/or tow a heavy trailer. The Land Cruiser, in contrast, is one of the world's finest off-road vehicles.....hence its popularity in Third World conditions, which include, yes, mountains. Of course, its large size, as compared to smaller, more agile, and more manuverable off-roaders like the Jeep Wrangler and Suzuki Vitara, prevents it from being as much of a true mountain goat in narrow spaces as they are.....there, you have a point.
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 10:06 AM   #43
lex
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 917
Default

How would the driving experience compare to a Lexus LX570? Could you write a review of the 2010 (or 2009 ) Lexus LX570?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 01:22 PM   #44
MR_F1
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
MR_F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 3,371
Default

So you brought this back from the dead just to add those 2 cents? Boring weekend much?
MR_F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 02:26 PM   #45
pagemaster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MIchigan
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_F1 View Post
So you brought this back from the dead just to add those 2 cents? Boring weekend much?
Yup. I was perusing mmarshalls reviews for Toyota/Lexus reviews when the Sequoia review caught my eye
pagemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 02:26 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 GX wheels, Will Tundra/Sequoia/ ar or LX570 wheels fit? ServiceGuy GX - Second Generation 1 10-27-14 04:45 PM
Toyota Tundra ditches V6 for 2015 Hoovey2411 Car Chat 5 09-13-14 09:30 PM
Review: 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4 Hoovey2411 Car Chat 13 02-27-14 11:54 AM
Review: 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser mmarshall Car Chat 35 07-15-09 11:51 PM
TRD readys 504 hp Supercharger for 5.7L V8 engines GFerg Car Chat 39 06-14-08 03:05 PM


Tags
2007, 2008, 570, capacity, compare, cruiser, feel, gx570, land, lexus, lx, lx570, poor, sequoia, steering, towing, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info