Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota ties brakes into NAV to make sure drivers don’t fail to stop at intersection

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 06:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Toyota ties brakes into NAV to make sure drivers don’t fail to stop at intersection

Toyota ties brakes into nav system

Posted on Thursday 7 February 2008

Toyota seems to be doing everything it can to take driving out of the hands of its drivers. Their Lexus brand has been pushing self-parking mechanisms (with varying degrees of success) for several years now. Now the world’s biggest auto seller is tying its brake-assist technology in with satellite navigation technology to make sure its ‘drivers’ don’t fail to stop at intersections.

The system is billed as the first technology in the world that ties the brake system in with satellite navigation. The new system will alert the driver to an upcoming stop sign, and then when it decides the driver has approached at too high a speed or is too close to stop with the currently applied brake force, the computer will take over and stop the vehicle. The stop-sign information is contained in the map data built into the system.

Given the nature of the satellite-based GPS system, inaccuracy can be chased down to within a foot (30cm) on the most high-end systems. For systems more like those installed in cars, however, the inaccuracy can be as much as 50ft (15m), especially when moving in relation to a stationary object. Add in the potential for stop sign locations to change or be converted to stop lights, and the possibility for erroneous brake application seems high enough to make anyone nervous about buying such a system. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time a GPS system had led an overly-reliant driver astray.

Toyota claims the system will be ’smart’ about the use of the brakes, adjusting them based on both the GPS information and the data taken from a rear-mounted camera. The new system will be launched on new models in Japan in the near future, which would indicate Toyota has done its homework and thinks it can safely bring the technology to market.

As drivers and car enthusiasts, we have to wonder how much this sort of technology will actually help drivers avoid accidents and how much it will instead encourage (even further) decreased attention. After all, why bother paying attention to road signs and intersections if the car will stop you anyway? That’s just time wasted that you could be reading the morning news or applying makeup. Or eating. Or talking on the phone. Or all of the above.
source
Old 02-07-08, 06:25 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is society really this friggin dumb? after 100+ years of this stuff, we still cant get it right? there really should be an IQ test for driving.
Old 02-07-08, 06:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
is society really this friggin dumb? after 100+ years of this stuff, we still cant get it right? there really should be an IQ test for driving.
unfortunately, here in america? it is. you see how many people ran through red light or not stop at stop sign?
Old 02-07-08, 06:29 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not really ranting at the article, ranting at the world in general - sorry for the confusion. It was more of a rhetorical question that really annoys me.
Old 02-07-08, 06:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
I think it's more about increased safety because of an evolving transit structure.

With a lot of distractions increasing during driving; from passengers, radio, Nav, increased traffic, pedestrians, motorcycles/scooters, personal electronics, businesses, billboards, climate changes, etc -- it would be beneficial to have such driving aids once in a while.
Old 02-07-08, 06:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahahaha imagine the guy who steals the car with that feature!
Old 02-07-08, 06:55 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I guess no more California rolls
Old 02-07-08, 07:07 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Talk about something I want the least in my car, my car making driving decisions like this for me is ridiculous and should be outlawed.
Old 02-07-08, 07:08 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xioix
Hmm, I guess no more California rolls
I thought sushi when you said that.

I don't really like the idea that a car should force this upon you. Too much gizmos on cars nowadays. If you suck at driving that much, GTFO.
Also this forces people who have factory nav systems to go and pay for the nav updates so that their car doesn't stop at intersections that no longer have stop signs or if new ones show up.
Old 02-07-08, 07:18 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

i highly doubt this will become popular. and anyway it read the stuff off the ground, every painted sign on the ground where i live is all faded and barely even visible...and what if someone wrote 60 on the road when its supposed to be like 25.
Old 02-07-08, 07:58 PM
JessePS

how about stop lights?
Old 02-07-08, 07:59 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so... what if it snows?
or something like this happens?
Old 02-07-08, 09:02 PM
kit cat

what if your map isn't updated...?
Old 02-07-08, 10:05 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
what if your map isn't updated...?
I believe this will just be another Japan only option, where it seems like everything they have is update to date
Old 02-07-08, 10:59 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by xioix
I believe this will just be another Japan only option, where it seems like everything they have is update to date
I'm Japanese and just moved to the States a year ago but we're not that advanced as everyone here thinks. I finally convinced my parents to get a DVD player a few months ago lol.

Quick Reply: Toyota ties brakes into NAV to make sure drivers don’t fail to stop at intersection