Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2008 BMW 335i

By CL member request, a review of the 2008 BMW 335i Sedan.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...n/default.aspx

(NAV/ I-Drive interior shown)

In a Nutshell: The excellent 3-Series comes up with another winner, this time without some of the flaws.

Most of you in this forum know that the BMW 3-series has long been the benchmark and standard-bearer of affordable, mass-production, sport-sedan engineering, from the original 318i and 320i to the latest Chris-Bangle design models. So, given the widespread knowledge of the 3-series, its enormous popularity even in this primarily Lexus forum, and the fact that it would be redundant, I won't go into a long or detailed write-up of the 3-series history like I sometimes so with car reviews. This line is so popular that it more or less speaks for itself, and I would only be repeating the obvious. And, out of the entire 3-series line-up, I chose the 335i for a review this time for two main reasons. First, specific CL member request, and, Second, I just finished a special Holiday review of the 2008 Lexus IS350 in December....the 335I is probably the IS350's closest competitor in size, general layout, and powertrain. Both are RWD, 4-door, and rated around 300 HP, although the 335 has more torque. BMW's pricing structure is also slightly above that of Lexus.....my tested 335i ran over $47,000 list, with Sport and Premium Packages. That, of course, is not chump change, but BMws are not ordinary cars. Their chassis/steering sophistication, even today, IMO, remains unequalled in their class. And, even with some of the negative changes of the Chris-Bangle BMW designs in the last several years, the marque retains a widespread and fiercely loyal customer base that is not easily swayed by competitors. BMWs, especially the 3-series, are also widely praised and rated highly by a number of auto enthusiast magazines. They often, but not always, win magazine comparison tests with their competitors.

And, speaking of those competitors, a number of them have been introduced by rival manufacturers to try and dethrone the acknowledged King of the sport-sedan world, including the Infiniti G35/37, Audi A4/S4, Lexus IS300/250/350, Acura TL, newer Mercedes C-class models, Cadillac CTS, Lincoln LS, and the Volvo 60/70 R models. All of them have had notable strengths and weaknesses, and have chipped away somewhat at the 3-series' heels. But, none of them have ever been really serious competition....although the G35, in particular, was a good attempt. And there is a reason for that. BMW, despite some of the annoying Chris-Bangle design features, simply has the best chassis, suspension, and steering-system designers in the world, as far as affordable coupes and sedans go. This is not only my opinion but that of many others as well.

Though for several reasons they are not the cars for me, I always look forward to and enjoy BMW reviews or a chance to drive one of their products. I know that, despite their sometimes unreliable electronics, questionable or even ugly styling, not-so-nice leather, so-so paint jobs, annoying and frustrating I-Drive controller, that having a BMW on a smooth, winding road without a lot of bumps will almost always put a smile on your face. And the brakes, in general, are as well-designed as the chassis.....more on that later.

So, that brings us to the 335i, one of the newest and best in the continuing line of 3-series. The 335i uses the ubiquitous and well-known DOHC 3.0L BMW straight-six with twin turbos, direct injection, and double VANOS valve timing to put out 300 HP and 300 ft-lbs of torque...significantly more torque than its Lexus IS350 competitor's 277 ft-lbs. A choice of 4-door sedan, 2-door coupe, and a 2-door folding-hardtop models are offered, as both manual and Steptronic automatic sport-shift transmissions. All-Wheel-Drive Xi models are also offered, although the AWD is restricted with some packages and options.

This car, to put it mildly, was a delight to drive. I felt that, though it was not quite as hard-edged as the more aggressive M3, the 335i was, in many ways, a lower-priced and slightly more civilized alternative......though I haven't driven the new M3, I'd take the 335 in an instant over the old M3, especially given what the new M3, with its V8, is expected to cost. The engine, brakes, steering, chassis, and suspension on this car, even with the stiff Sport Package 35-series run-flat tires, were all superb....and that superb handling did not come at the expense of an excessively stiff ride like on the Mitsubishi Evo. The ride was firm but tolerable.

Anyhow, I won't get into any more of the car's details here.....we'll save that for below.

Model Reviewed: 2008 BMW 335i 4 Door Sedan

Base Price: $38,900

Major Options:

Sparkling Graphite Metallic Paint $475

Sport Package $1700

Premium Package $2550

Steptronic automatic transmission $1275

Manual side window shades / power rear window shade $575

Heated front seats $500

Satellite radio $595

Destination $775

List Price as Reviewed: $47,345

Exterior Color: Sparkling Graphite Metallic.

Interior: Black Dakota Leather/Burl Walnut wood trim.

Drivetrain:

RWD, 3.0L twin-turbocharged, in-line 6, 300 HP @ 5800 RPM, torque 300 ft-lbs. @ 1400-5000 RPM, 6-speed Steptronic Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

PLUSSES:

A good, lower-priced alternative to the M3.

No I Drive like many other BMWs...nice, relatively easy-to-use radio/climate buttons and switches.

Typical BMW superlative, telepathic steering feel.

Rock-of-Gibraltar cornering stability.

Chassis dynamics second to none.

Torque-happy, turbo in-line 6.

Ultra-firm, no-sponge brakes.

Outstanding ride/handling combination....even with run-flat tires.

Low road and wind noise level despite Sport-Package high-performance tires.

No awkward electronic transmission shifter like 5-series and X-models...nice, easy-to-use conventional shifter.

Nice array of exterior paint colors.

Superlative speedometer, tach, and gauges among the best.

Folding hardtop available on 2-door model.

Good exterior sheet metal, hardware, and trim.

Nice interior decor.

Run-flat tires eliminate the need for a space-robbing spare.

Comfortable, supportive front seats.

4 year/50,000 mile free maintenance.

4 year/unlimited mileage road service.

Dealerships and sales reps becoming more friendly and less arrogant than in the past.

Relatively low depreciation and good projected resale value.

All-Wheel-Drive Xi versions available.

MINUSES:

Unimpressive paint job.

Two-step ignition process.

Tight rear seat foot and legroom.

Relatively short 4/50 New Vehicle warranty (but 12/Unlimited on rust-through).

Too little engine access underhood.

No oil dipstick.

Slow engine warmup even at moderate temperatures.

Relatively cheap leather on seats and door trim.

Questionable reliability of electronics.

Relatively low ground clearance invites lower body damage.

Cheap looking/feeling steering-column stalks.

OK stereo but not the best.

Expensive parts and service after warranty and free maintenance run out.

Exterior side mirrors too small.

Run-flat tires expensive to replace and usually don't last long.

Extra-cost metallic paint.

EXTERIOR:

The first impression of this car, as you walk up to it, is pretty much as BMW intended it.....that of the old 3-series, with just a moderate amount of Chris Bangle influence in the styling, front and rear. BMW is keenly aware of the critism that the more radical restyling of the larger 5 and 7-series has received in the auto press and among many prospective customers, and wanted to avoid similiar criticism for its bread-and-butter 3-series, which makes up a huge proportion of its U.S. market sales. The company simply couldn't afford a major styling goof on the 3-series, and, happily, has avoided one. And, even better, the widely disliked I-Drive has been left out of the non-NAV models...more on that below.

But, back to the exterior. As I mentioned, there is a moderate amount of Chris-Bangle styling in the new grille, headlights, hoodline, trunklid, and rear end. The center part of the body, between the A and c pillars, pretty much remains as before. The new car is fairly handsome...IMO, much better looking than its larger brothers. And I think history will show that BMW did the right thing limiting the restyling influence.....the 3-series continues to sell like hotcakes.

The new exterior also seems to have kept up much of its former build quality, despite noticeably thinner doors (thinner/more tinny doors are becoming
a epidemic in the auto industry...I see it on almost every new or redesigned model). Body sheet metal seems to be solid and of good quality, especially
for the strut-supported hood. The outside hardware is well-sone, solid, securely atached, and also seems of good quality, although the otherwise well-done side mirrors are way too small for my tastes...IMO, they should be about 30 or 40% larger for optimum side and rear visibility. The paint colors offered, while not bright or in-your-face, are fairly classy and cover a good selection......you are not limited to just a few dull, funeral-home shades with like many cars. But, two notable flaws with the paint. First, there is not enough gloss and too much orange peel for vehicles in this price category (I noticed this with almost every new BMW in the lot). Second, the idiotic policy of charging extra for metallic shades, in this case $475. This nonsense seems to affect much of the Sweedish and German car industries, and is something that they still cling to and refuse to change. Of course, with the big sales numbers the 3-series rings up each year, its customers just seem to accept that as part of the cost of doing buisness...and there is little reason for BMW not to profit from it.

Exterior ground clearance from the lower-body panels and low-profile 35-series tires that come with the Sport Package is not a strong point. Watch out for those speed bumps and angled driveways...the alternative could mean a trip to the BMW body shop for outrageously-priced body and trim parts (you will also find that insurance on these cars is not particularly cheap either). Even with the All-Wheel-Drive option, winter tires, and the standard electronic traction aids, the low ground clearance likely means that this car is not likely to do well in deeper snows....for that, you will need to walk to the other end of the BMW showroom and check out the X3/X5 SUV's, or the upcoming X6.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the the rather solidly-made hood, and, to my way of thinking, there are several insults. Not the superb twin-turbo in-line 6 itself, of course, but the widespread hiding of components under plastic covers. Little, if anything, is freely accessable, except for a few of the fluid reservoirs and filler caps. There is not even an oil dipstick to check the oil. Of course, the engine is under warranty for at least 4 years/50,000 miles, and BMW itself, by the terms of that warranty, picks up oil changes and all of the required service, including roadside service, for those 4 years, so there is usually little need for many owners to be groping under the hood themselves. But, many cars, particularly with the 3-series' fiercely loyal owner base, will be kept well beyond the warranty period or sold off to second, third, fourth owners, etc...and those owners, of course, will not have the benefit of BMW-supplied repairs and service on the house. And I myself don't trust computer oil-level sensors and oil-change interval calculations. As far as I'm concerned, the sensible thing is a dipstick, regular USE of that dipstick, and the well-proven practice of 3-5 month/3000-5000 mile oil changes. While BMW oil-related engine failures are not widespread, they are not insignificant, and the company has had to rebuild or replace a number of engines when the computer oil-level and oil-change interval sensors let the oil go too long. There have also been some engine fires from defective electronic fan switches and wiring, but fortunately, they have generally not affected the 3-series.

INTERIOR:

Open the new doors, which are somewhat thinner and tinnier than on older 3-series models (especially the late 80's-90's vintage ones), and a rather pleasantly-done interior awaits you....with a couple of minor flaws. Like the new exterior, the new interior reflects some Chris Bangle design features, but holds off on the very unconventional and difficult electronic features and controls of the 7-series. The first thing I noticed (pleasantly, in my book), was the lack of an I-Drive, perhaps because this was a non-NAV model. Nice, clearly marked, conventional, easy-to-use *****, switches, and buttons adjust the stereo and climate-control functions...you don't have to take your eyes off the road and fiddle with a joystick (Thank you, BMW.....much appreciated). The stereo itself was fine but clearly not up to Lexus standards. Two different kinds of wood trim or brushed aluminum are offered and cover much of the dash, console, and door panels...BMW definitely did NOT skimp with the trim here. The superlative, round, traditional-style BMW gauges and markings rank among some of the world's best....The only flaw with the ones on my particular test car (and it was minor) was that the way the temperature gauge is marked (160-220-300), with a cold engine, it takes the needle a long time to get off the peg and start to climb, even on the mild 50-degree day I drove the car, so you have to wait a while before you can give the engine some revs or go over 3000.

The steering wheel is a proper 3-spoke design (what else from BMW?), with a nice leather cover and unmarked shift paddles on the spokes that come with the Sport Package....I found trough trial-and-error which way to tap them to upshift and downshift. The console shift lever itself (again, THANK you, BMW), is not the awkward, push-button, cheap-plastic electronic shift lever found on the 5-series and X5...it is solid, crisp, and works in a conventional fore-and-aft manner with the manual-shift gate slotted to the left. The cheap-feeling, flimsy stalks on the steering column for the wipers and cruise control, though, seem like a touch of bean-counting.......they are right out of entry-level VW's (in fact, I notice that some other upscale German cars use the same pieces...it must be a common parts-bin economizing move).

Headroom, both front and rear, even with the sunroof, is fine for people my size (6' 2"), Legroom is fine up front, but both legroom and especially footroom in the rear was too tight for my big size 15 clown-shoes....it took a lot of twisting to get them in and out the back doors, even with the front seat not all the way back. It is not quite as sardine-like in the back seat as its rival Lexus IS350, but it is clear that this car is no limo. The front seats, in proper BMW-style, were comfortable and well-shaped to hold you in place during aggressive cornering, but, like several other new BMW's I've looked at and rested, have a grainy, textured, cheap look and feel to the leather. I'm definitely not impressed with the grade of leather that BMW is using on most of their current products.....both on the seats and door panels. It looks and feels more like textured vinyl, and is well short of the superb leather found in Lexus, Jaguar, and some Infiniti vehicles. One consolation.....for those who are picky about interior colors, two different Leatherette and four different regular leather colors are offered in the 3-series, more than most automakers.

Outside of this, there is little to criticize in the interior. I just noted the nice variety of colors and trim, and I found the overall decor quite pleasant. Except for the flimsy steering-column stalks and the unpleasant leather, everything inside was attractive and seemed well-designed and solid. Without question, this was the best Chris Bangle-designed interior I've reviewed yet.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The solid-feeling sheet metal on the trunk lid opens to a nicely-finished trunk area that is fairly well-shaped for holding luggage and shopping bags. A nice grade of carpet is used for the sides and floor. There is no spare tire and jack under the floor because of the Sport Package 35-series run-flat tires....the standard tire-pressure monitoring system warns of air loss or tire failure and you limp to the nearest tire-repair shop at reduced speed. As with all new vehicles, a child-safety handle allows an emergency unlock from inside.

ON THE ROAD:

THIS, friends, is what makes a BMW a BMW.....driving. The term "Ultimate Driving Machine" is not just PR advertising....there is actually some truth to it. The RWD 335i and RWD 550i were two of the finest overall sports sedans I've reviewed lately....and the 550i was much more expensive, at $63,000, and IMO not quite the vaue the 335i was.

So let's get in and Drive:

Unfortunately, just getting the engine started is the most awkward part. Most upscale newcars, including this one, have a simple START/STOP push-buttton for the igniton. But, with this particular car, a square plastic "key" must first be inserted into a hole in the dash, below the button, and THEN, with your foot on the brake, the START button is pushed. You can't just have the transponder-key in the vicinity and push the button, like on other upscale cars. The BMW people there said the one-step ignition is forthcoming as an option, but it was not yet on the car I tested.

Get the engine started, though, and the basic smoothness and quietness of the BMW in-line 6 design is quite apparanent from the moment it fires up, although the BMW engineers have purposely tuned the exhaust to be somewhat less than Lexus-quiet...the muted, though muffled, roar is apparent on acceleration, once the aforementioned slow-reacting temperature gauge climbs a little and you can give it some gas. Even with the steptronic automatic (a manual is available if desired), the twin-turbos give it, at least to my senses, noticeably stronger reaponse than its rival 3.5L V6 Lexus IS350. Torque, despite the turbos and inherant turbo lag (the overlapping twin-turbos greatly minimize the lag) also noticeably comes on at lower RPMs than the IS350. It was not the fastest car I've driven (the Corvette C6 will outdrag it on the strip, and the Infiniti M45 Sport and Mitsubishi Evo will also keep up with or outdo it), but this car will MOVE. The turbos press you firmly back in your seat, even at higher road speeds....this car, after all, was designed for the German Autobahn where many sections have no speed limit.

I have become more and more convinced that BMW has some of the best chassis, suspension, and steering engineers in the world. On a straight road or Interstate highway, the 335 was quite pleasant. The engine is quiet at cruise if you don't hammer the gas, and wind and road noise is well-sealed despite the aggressive, sport-oriented performance tires, which ride a litte stiffer than I like but not harshly so.....the suspension is so well-designed that ride comfort with 35's is comparable to 45 or 50-series tires on vehicles from other manufacturers. But, get this car off the Interstate and onto a winding road and, for a sedan, it is just superb...it is hard to find words to describe it. The front end goes exactly where you point it, body roll is virtually non-existant, the tires and suspension grip the road like rails yet give some absorbtion on all but the worst bumps, and the steering is so firm, fluid, tactile, and telepathic that, despite power assist, you could probably steer this car blindfolded. As automakers need to send their engineers to Subaru and Audi to learn AWD, to Toyota and Honda to learn reliability and hybrid design, to Volvo and Mercedes to learn safety, to Hyundai for quality combined with value, and to Jaguar to learn elegance, they need to go to BMW at Munich to learn how to design steering/chassis and suspension.

The feel of the brakes is as good, if not more so, than the chassis and steering. The ultra-firm pedal has almost zero sponginess and takes effect instantly. At 150 MPH on the Autobahn, in an emergency, you can't afford unresponsive, spongy brakes. And, while German cars (especially Porsches) are noted for their superb brake systems, this was one of the best I've seen on a regular sedan. And, of course, even my oversized clown-shoes didn't get hung up between the brake pedal and the gas, which happens in more vehicles than I'd like.

Needless to say, while this is not the car for me and my everyday driving needs, when I got it back to the BMW shop after the test-drive, even showing this brand-new, unbroken-in car some respect by not abusing it..........folks, there was a SMILE on my face.

THE VERDICT?

After a nice test-drive of the 335i, it's easy to see why these cars are so popular, and why numerous competitiors, over the years, have failed to dislodge them. The driving dynamics, in their class, are simply unbeatable. Everything about them (except for the I-Drive) is designed for maximum driver input, comprehension, reaction, tactile feel, and enjoyment. They enjoy good resale value, and, if in good condition, there will always be someone who wants your used one. And, when you run out of twisty roads, they even cruise nicely on long, straight Interstate stretches with good wind and road noise control. A four-year ownership period would be ideal for one......the warranty, free maintenance, and roadside assistance all run out at the same time. And, with the non-NAV versions, you don't even have to put up with I-Drive like on some other BMWs.

But, like any car, it is not perfect, and several areas need work. Like other BMWs, the paint job needs to be done a little more carefully, and better, more pleasant leather needs to be used inside. The outside mirrors are simply too small. The stalks for cruise control and wipers are too flimsy and cheap-feeling....they are virtually the same stalks as on entry-level VW Rabbits. The ridiculous charge for metallic paint, common to so many German-designed cars, needs to end...especially with the so-so paint jobs. And PUT THE OIL DIPSTICK BACK IN under the hood and take off the plastic engine covers that block so much access.

Is this car worth $47,000? For me, no....I'm not usually a BMW-type of driver, though I do enjoy sampling its superb, driver-centered engineering. For an enthusiast-oriented driver, yes....definitely, especially compared to what an M3 would cost. This car is satisfying, yet civilized where the M3 is harsh, and has more than enough power for any normal.....or even spirited....driving. BMW quotes a 5.6 second 0-60 time with the automatic and 5.4 with the manual, and, strangely, even quicker 5.3/5.4 times with the added weight and drag of the AWD Xi version. So, If you want the Ultimate Driving Machine, have 40-50K burning a hole in your pocket, and will put up with this car's bad points as well as its good ones, then there is probably no better sports sedan on the market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-08 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 12:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Great review! Having driven and ridden in my roommate's E90 335i frequently, I didn't find anything in there I disagree with.

I'd also like to emphasize two points you brought up - first, that this car is exceptional value even at a price point approaching $50k. Personally, I think that the M3 at $65k+ optioned and IS-F at $60k+ optioned - even if they are very good values in their own right - pale in comparison to the 335i. The only aspect of the 335i that negatively impacts my value outlook on it is the poor BMW service and attitude at dealerships.

I'm also glad you mentioned that turbo lag is still evident, as that's something that was very obvious to me when driving (my roommate still maintains it is not noticeable). It's much better than most turbo vehicles, but still lacks response compared to naturally-aspirated ones.
Old 02-04-08, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Great review! Having driven and ridden in my roommate's E90 335i frequently, I didn't find anything in there I disagree with.

I'd also like to emphasize two points you brought up - first, that this car is exceptional value even at a price point approaching $50k. Personally, I think that the M3 at $65k+ optioned and IS-F at $60k+ optioned - even if they are very good values in their own right - pale in comparison to the 335i. The only aspect of the 335i that negatively impacts my value outlook on it is the poor BMW service and attitude at dealerships.

I'm also glad you mentioned that turbo lag is still evident, as that's something that was very obvious to me when driving (my roommate still maintains it is not noticeable). It's much better than most turbo vehicles, but still lacks response compared to naturally-aspirated ones.
Thanks.

The small turbo lag on the 335i, IMO, was not as noticeable as the lack of low-RPM torque on the larger but naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 on the IS350.

I agree with your 335-M3 comparison...I made several notes in the review about that. While I have not driven the new M3, the last one, IMO, was overpriced, quite harsh, and really not suitable for anything but a glass-smooth surface.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-08 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 01:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome review! i've been waiting for this review for a very long time!!
Old 02-04-08, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Awesome review! i've been waiting for this review for a very long time!!
Thanks.

Take another look at it now. With bitkahuna's help, I've found out how to graft in pictures/images. (thanks, bit).

You are not the only one waiting. This car is VERY popular with enthusiasts. I think, dollar for dollar, it is a better buy than an M3....but it's not something I'd want as a daily driver, particularly in the winter.
Old 02-04-08, 01:25 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review!

At a very normal, sane pace, I did not notice any turbo lag from the car from about 1500rpm on up (6sp manual). Even if there is some, if you notice it, you're probably trying to go fast and going fast while keeping the revs down kind of defeats the purpose anyway.

As you said, the car is an awesome daily driver - comfortable and sporty at the same time. Of course, I have an Evo as a daily driver, so my idea of comfort may be way off...

At $47K, it is not a good deal in my book. With leather and sport pkg at ~$42K, it is not bad.

A couple of more negatives:
* No cooled seats (no cloth option, but that applies to ALL luxury manufacturers).
* No standard jack (if I read your review correctly) means that you must buy your own to do anything on the car.
Old 02-04-08, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Thanks for the review!

At a very normal, sane pace, I did not notice any turbo lag from the car from about 1500rpm on up (6sp manual). Even if there is some, if you notice it, you're probably trying to go fast and going fast while keeping the revs down kind of defeats the purpose anyway.

As you said, the car is an awesome daily driver - comfortable and sporty at the same time. Of course, I have an Evo as a daily driver, so my idea of comfort may be way off...

At $47K, it is not a good deal in my book. With leather and sport pkg at ~$42K, it is not bad.

A couple of more negatives:
* No cooled seats (no cloth option, but that applies to ALL luxury manufacturers).
* No standard jack (if I read your review correctly) means that you must buy your own to do anything on the car.
Thanks.

The jack does not come with the Sport Package because of the run-flat, 35-series tires (at least, I didn't find one). It is not needed....then the tire sensors signal a "flat" tire, you just limp at slow speed to the nearest tire shop.....and maybe get screwed for the price of a new run-flat (they are NOT cheap). BMW roadside service is good for the first 4 years, though.

As you note, turbo lag will be less noticeable with a stick than with the Steptronic because the manual transmission and clutch is more efficient at transmitting power...hence the slightly lower 0-60 times.
Old 02-04-08, 02:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Overall another solid, well written review.

Comfort Access has been an option on the new 3 series almost from the get go, it simply sounds like it wasn't on your particular test car. I believe it's $500, and it would allow you the keyless operation that most Lexus cars now have. I don't know why your dealership told you it was "forthcoming."

Also, the stalks aren't exactly the same as a VW, I've owned both an E90 330i and recently an 08 VW R32. I think the BMW stalk is much more substantial than the VW stalks, which I agree, are fairly cheap feeling and are used throughout the Audi line.

Sidenote, you may want to change your top exterior photo, as that's not exactly a BMW 3 series, that's a computer generated image of maybe someone's rendering of what a refreshed E90 might look like.

I'm surprised you listed the Logic7 sound system as a minus, as I've noticed that you often praise systems even in the latest Outback sport. I think that the Logic7 has tremendous clarity with little distortion, and nice bass with subwoofers under the front seats if I remember correctly.

Last edited by pbm317; 02-04-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 02:46 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Sidenote, you may want to change your top exterior photo, as that's not exactly a BMW 3 series, that's a computer generated image of maybe someone's rendering of what a refreshed E90 might look like.

I've seen a couple of new E90s and they have taken the front end styling of the coupe and transferred it to the 4 door saloon so the pic is pretty accurate.
Old 02-04-08, 03:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

wow, what a lovely review. I read about half of this and will read the rest when I come home. Great car!
Old 02-04-08, 03:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
THE VERDICT?

Is this car worth $47,000? For me, no....
Mike, considering that near-$50k is a lot of money to play with (hell, you can buy the whole Scion line-up for $50k... ), would it be "normal" to say that the 335i is overpriced compared to competitors, but properly-priced because of demand?

And do you believe that BMW will survive the competitive market if it relies on performance dynamics alone? What would be your advice to BMW?
Old 02-04-08, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Overall another solid, well written review.

Comfort Access has been an option on the new 3 series almost from the get go, it simply sounds like it wasn't on your particular test car. I believe it's $500, and it would allow you the keyless operation that most Lexus cars now have. I don't know why your dealership told you it was "forthcoming."

Also, the stalks aren't exactly the same as a VW, I've owned both an E90 330i and recently an 08 VW R32. I think the BMW stalk is much more substantial than the VW stalks, which I agree, are fairly cheap feeling and are used throughout the Audi line.

I'm surprised you listed the Logic7 sound system as a minus, as I've noticed that you often praise systems even in the latest Outback sport. I think that the Logic7 has tremendous clarity with little distortion, and nice bass with subwoofers under the front seats if I remember correctly.
Thanks.

I don't have a digital camera, so I couldn't post a picture of the exact car I had.........wouldn't know how if I did......but the top one is very close.

The stereo in my test 335 was fine.....nothing really wrong with it, but IMO Lexus does provide a better unit on its cars in the same price range, and NOTHING else compares to the LS460 and LS600 Mark Levinson units. If you have been in a new LS you will know what I mean.

I see a lot of VWs at my own VW-Subaru shop, and the stalks in my test 335, at least to my eyes, were very similiar if not identical, and had the same cheap feel. They seem to be more or less standarized among the German automakers, just as Mitsubushi alternators were once among most of the Japanese manufacturers.
Old 02-04-08, 03:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Take another look at it now. With bitkahuna's help, I've found out how to graft in pictures/images. (thanks, bit).
You're welcome sir! I think I've created a monster (a good thing).

Anyway, outstanding review, of an outstanding car. While the 4 door is more practical I have to say in looks I REALLY prefer the coupe and I'm not that big of a coupe fan. And the retractable hard top coupe version looks great too - a REALLY nice design.

The IS350 is a good car with a great engine. The 335i is a great car with an exceptional engine. I like Lexus ergonomics vs. BMW but when it comes to driving experience there's a big gap.

Glad you came back with a smile.
Old 02-04-08, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, considering that near-$50k is a lot of money to play with (hell, you can buy the whole Scion line-up for $50k... ), would it be "normal" to say that the 335i is overpriced compared to competitors, but properly-priced because of demand?

And do you believe that BMW will survive the competitive market if it relies on performance dynamics alone? What would be your advice to BMW?
The 335 is generally not the car for me, for several reasons. And IMO it is definitely not overpriced compared to its own M3 cousin...and the new M3, with its V8, is likely to run well above 60K on price and have a harsher chassis that is more fit for the track than as an everyday driver.

But as to the question of whether it is overpriced compared to its own competitors.....G35/37, IS350, A4, etc..... that's a hard question to answer. Certainly it trumps all of the others in the chassis, suspension, and steering departments, but has some negative things as well....a so-so paint job, sub-par leather inside, and questionable long-tern reliability for its electronics. There is always the panache of having the blue-and-white propeller on the hood...that alone will make a lot of people cough up the bucks for it, as it does those addicted to the three-pointed Mercedes star despite their poor reliability.

But for enthusiasts, it is hard to imagine a better-rounded sports sedan for the money...in that sense, though it sounds like 47K is a lot of money, perhaps the price is worth it for those enthusiasts. And, cheaper versions are available without the Premuim or Sports packages...but then, of course, you give up some of the car's excellence.

I think BMW will survive the current competitive market simply because it has such a loyal and cult-like following, even with the sometimes annoying Chris Bangle cars. They build unique vehicles for unique enthusiasts, and have already broadened their customer base somewhat with the X3/X5 SUV's. Their vehicles are not particularly "green" or environmentally-conscious like a Prius or Civic Hybrid, but those kind of people generally don't go shopping for Bimmers, either.

You ask my advice to BMW? As I stated in the review.....better leather, better paint jobs, better-quality electronics, more vehicles without I-Drive, and, of course, REAL dipsticks back under the hood.
Old 02-04-08, 04:27 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
The jack does not come with the Sport Package because of the run-flat, 35-series tires (at least, I didn't find one). It is not needed....then the tire sensors signal a "flat" tire, you just limp at slow speed to the nearest tire shop.....and maybe get screwed for the price of a new run-flat (they are NOT cheap). BMW roadside service is good for the first 4 years, though.
I believe that all (US-bound, at least) 3-series cars come with run-flats - the difference is only whether they are all-season or high-performance. So, owners won't get a jack either way.
In case of a flat, owners will just have to lower their pants and gently back into the shop of their choice (rear tire on 335i is ~$290 at TireRack - before mounting).

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 BMW 335i