Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lexus new compact SUV

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-12, 11:58 PM   #91
xioix
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so. cal
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk1 View Post
That does not really matter when in the United States a luxury-oriented Audi Q5 or Range Rover Evoq is certainly NOT going to be cross-shopped with a mainstream Toyota RAV-4. Since when do U.S. customers decide if they should buy a Honda Accord or a Audi A6 instead? I have already explained that there is no point in testing a US-market Toyota against U.S.-spec luxury competitors for the tastes of European markets. A U.S.-market Audi Q5 is going to be different from it's domestic European variants, so I expect they would have conducted such comparisons in Europe. U.S.-market Toyotas already differ from the ones sold in Europe, so if that tester is really a RAV-4, then it would be tested alongside U.S.-market competitors like the Kia Sportage or the Honda CR-V. Something is definitely off concerning this test vehicle and a clever disguise has likely been applied here.



Yet Toyota uses the same disguise material as the Lexus models?

'14 Corolla
Click the image to open in full size.
'13 5ES
Click the image to open in full size.
'13 LS
Click the image to open in full size.
Same reason the BRZ/FRS/GT86 was being tested with a Cayman, using it as a benchmark.

Maybe the nicer materials are for the limited edition Rav4, and not just for Euro specific model.

With no spindle grill on the front, most likely will not be a Lexus
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
xioix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 12:12 AM   #92
asoksevil
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
asoksevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Irvine, CA - Madrid, ES
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
From my understanding the name CX is nowhere on the table since Mazda currently uses that name for its SUVs.
Mazda also uses the name RX for its cars like the RX-7, RX-8, RX-9 and we all know that Lexus uses it for its RX SUV.

I don't see any problem with this since Mazda cars are known as RX-number while the Lexus is just the "RX". I find CX way more attractive than any other name.
__________________
Current: '10 IS250 UL (ES)
Past: '09 SLK200 (ES)
asoksevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 01:58 AM   #93
cmk1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cmk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xioix View Post
Same reason the BRZ/FRS/GT86 was being tested with a Cayman, using it as a benchmark.

Maybe the nicer materials are for the limited edition Rav4, and not just for Euro specific model.

With no spindle grill on the front, most likely will not be a Lexus
I guess that's a big possibility, but as for the spindle grille it's probably just been hidden as it's likely a test mule and not an actual prototype. The front bulge on lower valance section looks different from the RAV-4 prototypes. Anyway, from what all of you have said, I figure there's a 60% chance it's a premium trim RAV-4 and a 40% chance it's a Lexus crossover.
cmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 02:25 AM   #94
cmk1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cmk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
It won't use name cx
Would you be able to alter the thread's title please from CX to crossover? Thanks.
cmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 05:52 AM   #95
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk1 View Post
I guess that's a big possibility, but as for the spindle grille it's probably just been hidden as it's likely a test mule and not an actual prototype. The front bulge on lower valance section looks different from the RAV-4 prototypes. Anyway, from what all of you have said, I figure there's a 60% chance it's a premium trim RAV-4 and a 40% chance it's a Lexus crossover.
there is no chance it is Lexus and 100% chance it is Rav4, as it 100% matches already shot Rav4 I put in there... there is no spindle grille on it, period.
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:53 AM   #96
asoksevil
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
asoksevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Irvine, CA - Madrid, ES
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
there is no chance it is Lexus and 100% chance it is Rav4, as it 100% matches already shot Rav4 I put in there... there is no spindle grille on it, period.
Well this might be just a mule using the platform of the new RAV4... but, who knows?

What I find interesting is that this car does have dual exhaust while the CX300h is a hybrid vehicle and therefore, hidden exhaust... so this might just be the RAV4.
__________________
Current: '10 IS250 UL (ES)
Past: '09 SLK200 (ES)

Last edited by asoksevil; 09-08-12 at 06:57 AM..
asoksevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 10:43 AM   #97
TomT127
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
TomT127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 106
Default

A RAV4 without the rear exterior spare. I do like the dual exhaust. About time Toyota caught up with everyone else.
__________________
2012 RX AWD Light Gray
TomT127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 11:59 AM   #98
xioix
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so. cal
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT127 View Post
A RAV4 without the rear exterior spare. I do like the dual exhaust. About time Toyota caught up with everyone else.
Toyota had the rear spare removed on the Sport model a couple years ago
xioix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 12:27 PM   #99
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoksevil View Post
Well this might be just a mule using the platform of the new RAV4... but, who knows?

What I find interesting is that this car does have dual exhaust while the CX300h is a hybrid vehicle and therefore, hidden exhaust... so this might just be the RAV4.
exactly... it is rav4 :-).

CX300h will not look exactly the same as Rav4... I expect at least Camry/E300h differences so it would it get its own test mules, not ones that are rav4.
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:06 PM   #100
cmk1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cmk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
exactly... it is rav4 :-).

CX300h will not look exactly the same as Rav4... I expect at least Camry/E300h differences so it would it get its own test mules, not ones that are rav4.
It has already been established that both the ES and Camry are not directly re-skinned versions of each other anymore. The ES shares more with the Avalon(extended Camry platform) than it does the Camry, so the differences are much greater. There's also a difference between a mule that can wear almost any disguise and an FEP prototype that would be identical to the production car. As for this not being a Lexus, I wouldn't be surprised as I was already wrong about the LS being a 5th generation(that's due in 2014).
cmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 08:05 PM   #101
cmk1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cmk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 309
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
exactly... it is rav4 :-).

CX300h will not look exactly the same as Rav4... I expect at least Camry/E300h differences so it would it get its own test mules, not ones that are rav4.
I am very sorry, as what you said before, has now been confirmed by a very trusted Lexus employee that these are indeed spy photos of the U.S. market Toyota RAV-4. I got everything extremely wrong as the luxury competitors are being used to throw off people for some odd reason and to test its "upmarket pretensions". Silly me.
cmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 09:05 PM   #102
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk1 View Post
I am very sorry, as what you said before, has now been confirmed by a very trusted Lexus employee that these are indeed spy photos of the U.S. market Toyota RAV-4. I got everything extremely wrong as the luxury competitors are being used to throw off people for some odd reason and to test its "upmarket pretensions". Silly me.
there is nothing to be sorry about, it is just forums :-).

as i said before, luxury competitors are not used to throw people off or to test its upmarket pretensions, but rather rav4 in many markets is direct competitor with these cars.... i guess everywhere but in the usa.

so we should be happy that they are testing it against those cars, because they are trying to build rav4 better than those!
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 01:37 AM   #103
cmk1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cmk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
there is nothing to be sorry about, it is just forums :-).

as i said before, luxury competitors are not used to throw people off or to test its upmarket pretensions, but rather rav4 in many markets is direct competitor with these cars.... i guess everywhere but in the usa.

so we should be happy that they are testing it against those cars, because they are trying to build rav4 better than those!
Thanks, but those are literally his words, not mine. This is actually the same guy who said about 9 months ago, that the remaining spindle grille models would be previewed in January. He also said in March that he had seen the '13 LS inside out and it would be a facelift, not a 5LS(to my stubborn detriment). He even gave a heads-up back in mid-August, dropping that the next generation IS prototypes were running around Toyota's HQ in Torrance, California, and now some of them have recently been caught. If anyone ever spots commentary from him on future Lexus products, take it to the letter as it's fact 100% of the time and low-key. Not sure if giving out his name is risky.
cmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 03:58 AM   #104
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk1 View Post
Thanks, but those are literally his words, not mine. This is actually the same guy who said about 9 months ago, that the remaining spindle grille models would be previewed in January. He also said in March that he had seen the '13 LS inside out and it would be a facelift, not a 5LS(to my stubborn detriment). He even gave a heads-up back in mid-August, dropping that the next generation IS prototypes were running around Toyota's HQ in Torrance, California, and now some of them have recently been caught. If anyone ever spots commentary from him on future Lexus products, take it to the letter as it's fact 100% of the time and low-key. Not sure if giving out his name is risky.
i worked at Toyota as well, which is why I am telling you how it is :-)
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 06:36 AM   #105
cmk1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
cmk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
i worked at Toyota as well, which is why I am telling you how it is :-)
Oh okay, thanks!
cmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 06:36 AM
 
Reply
 
 
 

Tags
2014, 570, baby, compact, concept, crossover, cuv, cx, cx300h, developing, lexus, lx, making, pf, photos, price, rav-4, rav4, row, shots, small, smaller, spy, suv, toyota, usa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | JOBS


Get all contact info

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2