Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you want to see the new version the most?
Mazda RX-7
16.46%
Honda NSX
37.34%
Honda CRX
2.53%
Toyota Corolla Trueno/Levin
6.33%
Toyota Supra
62.03%
Mitsubishi 3000GT
7.59%
Nissan Silvia/240SX
11.39%
Toyota MR2
15.82%
Others, please specify
5.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Which sports car do you want to see it resurrecting the most?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 01:51 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OC 335i
It's nothing substantial of a source, not an engineer or anything but my friend works at Honda Headquarters in Torrance. I don't know how much is urban legend or speculation, but that is what he told me he heard thru the grapevine.
Hmm, I doubt it personally. My cousin, well, actually my cousins husband is a manager in the main parts department at the Torrance facility and he hasn't heard anything. He knows I used to own an NSX and I am a big fan of it and I ask him about it all the time. However, if it is true about the mid engine part, thank God and I say Honda should have just listened to us in the first place. Those idiots.
Old 02-06-08, 06:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Hmm, I doubt it personally. My cousin, well, actually my cousins husband is a manager in the main parts department at the Torrance facility and he hasn't heard anything. He knows I used to own an NSX and I am a big fan of it and I ask him about it all the time. However, if it is true about the mid engine part, thank God and I say Honda should have just listened to us in the first place. Those idiots.
Considering how ugly the new Honda's seem to be getting (new civic, new accord, and this new RL thing), I wouldn't hold my breath. I bet even if they release the new NSX, they're going to bastardize it beyond recognition.
Old 02-06-08, 06:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My friend works at Honda Corp. and he never heard of the mid-engine rumor before.

The next NSX better not be designed by American Honda.
Old 02-08-08, 04:40 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too interested in a nsx. it would be nice i guess but does the world need another r8 or lf-a? same for the supra. those cars are too much about ego. id rather see a new nsx than supra though; people love how the supra takes to mods but a new supra wouldnt be that way. the world could use a reasonably priced supercar though, but im not sure acura could pull it off. especially if nissan cant (based off gtr prices)

so i voted crx, mr2. those cars would be built to hit the market. the last mr2 had a sequential transmission. it would be good to see them pick it up from where they left off. maybe with the 2GR-FSE with DSG on it. rear drive, open top...

the crx would be a good addition too. it could compete with the scions. honda does 4cyl fwd sports compacts well
Old 02-08-08, 09:07 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see a new Supra, rwd Corolla (Trueno/Levin) hatch, MR2 or a Celica close in style to the original early 70s model. Also wouldn't mind seeing a new 240SX hatch to replace my DD.

The less electronics, the better. For instance, no drive-by-wires. Just don't like how it feels when I'm driving my IS. No ESC, DSC or any type of driver aids besides ABS.

My ideal Corolla or 240SX as DD:

Hot engine with cable throttle, not dbw
Power steering, power locks
4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, LSD
Hard top (no sun/moonroof) <-- light weight
Manual windows <-- light weight, longer lasting

Last edited by dsp979; 02-08-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 09:36 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

the2000gt bar none
Old 06-24-08, 10:53 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

the supra!... i would jump right to one.... Toyota really needs to come out with a rwd sports car
Old 06-25-08, 12:39 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

supra......
Old 06-25-08, 02:37 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

The TT Supra of old was a beast, but the NEW Supra Hybrid should be worth the wait. Hopefully, we'll see something by 2010
Old 06-25-08, 06:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The Supra, NSX, and RX* were modern interpretations of the sports car for three different market levels. For me, the rest are simply family sedans with a few go-fast parts hung on them. That is more like the '60's "muscle car" concept (minus of course the massive torque and noise). Most of today's cars that carry the sporting image are either overwrought boulevardiers, or stripped out sedans. Neither, IMHO, are worthy successors to the Alfas, Lotuses, Lancias, Morgans, even the TRs and MGs of the '50's and '60's that defined the genera.

I'm determinedly old-school on the definition of a sports car. The criteria are pretty simple:
  • First and foremost, it is light weight. This single feature contributes to everything else. At minimal weight, it goes, stops, and changes direction crisply and quickly. Without power assisted everything, the tactile connection to the road is simple and direct. It seats two - er, rather intimately. Sports cars are not mommy vans, family trucksters, or by any measure, practical transportation. They are about romance.

• It is red, or blue, or yellow, or green, maybe silver - any of the traditional primary racing colors will do just fine. A good part of the sports car ethos has to do with tradition, breeding . . . and metallics or pastels are out of the question. Black is gauche, and white, insipid.

• It is quick, not just fast. Fast is a function of torque and the driver's willingness to kill himself, Quick means sharp responses to control inputs, the ability to flick from apex to apex effortlessly, without drama. It is responsive without being twitchy, earnest without being overpowering.

• It is relatively simple. Colin Chapman who was responsible for defining much of the breeding of the sports car, believed that if something didn't make it go faster on the track, it was eliminated. He once noted that the ideal racing car would fall apart as it crossed the finish line, because anything more was too conservative and excessively heavy, meaning it was not as quick as it could have been. While a bit extreme for a road-going car, he had the concept clearly in mind.

• It is a roadster (a hard top being heavy, adding mass well above the roll center). It is RWD only, AWD is interesting but excessively heavy. FWD - are you kidding? It is a free-breathing naturally aspirated inline 4 or 6, driving through a mechanical clutch and manual close-ration gearbox to a preferably independently-sprung rear end. Whether front or mid-engined, it achieves a near perfect 50-50 weight distribution. Brakes are massively capable and beautifully balanced.

• It has above all else, a soul. You know that even before you squeeze inside, depress the delicate clutch pedal, wiggle the shifter and touch the starter button - this is not a machine, but a living creature. It is not an appliance to be wielded, but a partner in your adventure. It is an experience to be heard, felt, smelled, and savored, from the whirr and clatter of the timing chain and valve tappets, to the scent of Castrol, the sharp bark of the exhaust that rises to a wail up through the gears, and crackles on the overrun. Who needs a sound system? This is a symphony for pistons and camshafts playing all around you.

It is a soft autumn morning, or a brilliant spring day, it is a warm summer night that always ends at an out-of-the-way inn where the two of you enjoy a light dinner and a glass of fine wine. As a mindset, it is an adventure shared between you and your lady, and your mechanical companion, now quietly ticking away the heat of the day's journey out on the paddock. It is the memory of two lanes of winding blacktop, beautiful vistas, and a shared relationship.
Today's best representatives of the breed are probably worth more than a fine home and bear exotic nameplates. Most are hand crafted and well out of reach of proles like me, but there are exceptions. The Elise, primary among them, represents an update on the concept that incorporates just enough technology and still enables a direct connection to the road. The Miata is a modern interpretation of the TR or MG - the sports car for the masses, as are a couple of other 2-seat roadsters that come to mind - the S2000 and the Boxter, but they are too practical, maybe too comfortable, and some others maybe a bit overdone to the point of being flabby.

But then at this point in my life, so am I.

Last edited by Lil4X; 06-25-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 08:14 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

240s because how simple and cheap they are to modify, with a huge aftermarket support.
Old 06-25-08, 09:51 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tod071
The TT Supra of old was a beast, but the NEW Supra Hybrid should be worth the wait. Hopefully, we'll see something by 2010
If it is indeed a hybrid I think it may have my dad's attention, especially if it is priced below or even around $40k. He likes the GSh, but not sure if he wants to spend that much on technology that will certainly be better in a few years.

In 1988 my dad was thrilled by the Honda Prelude. He hasn't had a true sports car since then. However, with his back problems I wonder if a Supra would do him good.
Old 06-25-08, 11:30 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

hmmmmm....wow, nothing on this list i care for. maaybe the NSX. yah, thats about it.

supra? go get a G37. those two are nearly identical cars. corolla? seriously? 240sx? the one replaced by the 300zx? yah...
Old 06-25-08, 11:34 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like an RX-7 if you can get a LS9 in it If its got a rotary, you can hang it up.

Originally Posted by gshb
hmmmmm....wow, nothing on this list i care for. maaybe the NSX. yah, thats about it.

supra? go get a G37. those two are nearly identical cars. corolla? seriously? 240sx? the one replaced by the 300zx? yah...

Yes, we want to substitute a turbocharged behemoth in the Supra with a Nissan that can't even outrun it 15 years later. Thats EXACTLY what we had in mind. The G37 can't even outrun the IS350 and when the IS350 coupe comes out, you can hang it up.

The RWD Corollas were fun cars to drive, they weighed very little and had a great engine.
The 2nd gen 300zx (Z32) was in the running AT THE SAME TIME as the 240sx. In fact, when the Z32 was killed off in 1996, the 240sx was remodeled into a pretty sexy car and was sold until 1998. So which car replaced which again? The 240sx is a much better platform for a tuner car than the 300zx and 350z. It weighs less, its dirt cheap, is very fun to drive, has a huge parts bin, and has an ENORMOUS amount of engine swap options available.

I believe you're thinking of the 240Z or at least the old Datsun Zs. Which they too have a load of aftermarket potential and are fun cars to drive.

Last edited by Bean; 06-25-08 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 12:29 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
I'd like an RX-7 if you can get a LS9 in it If its got a rotary, you can hang it up.

Yes, we want to substitute a turbocharged behemoth in the Supra with a Nissan that can't even outrun it 15 years later. Thats EXACTLY what we had in mind. The G37 can't even outrun the IS350 and when the IS350 coupe comes out, you can hang it up.

The RWD Corollas were fun cars to drive, they weighed very little and had a great engine.
The 2nd gen 300zx (Z32) was in the running AT THE SAME TIME as the 240sx. In fact, when the Z32 was killed off in 1996, the 240sx was remodeled into a pretty sexy car and was sold until 1998. So which car replaced which again? The 240sx is a much better platform for a tuner car than the 300zx and 350z. It weighs less, its dirt cheap, is very fun to drive, has a huge parts bin, and has an ENORMOUS amount of engine swap options available.

I believe you're thinking of the 240Z or at least the old Datsun Zs. Which they too have a load of aftermarket potential and are fun cars to drive.
ah yes, 240z. in any case, the supra is/was never a behemoth. it runs a little slower than the G37 and even back then, the 300zx was the better sports car. im not talking about your fast and furious supras. btw, if you want a fast twin turbo car, its called the 335i. if you are talking about modding, then again, 335i. theres a reason why all these cars on the list died. hence why i wouldnt want to resurrect anything here. except for maybe the 300zx, which isnt on the list.

so the question is, why would you resurrect a sports car only to do an engine swap on it? you waste all that time and money because you got the wrong car to begin with.

and let me know when the IS350 coupe comes out. also, let me know if it comes with a 6MT.

Quick Reply: Which sports car do you want to see it resurrecting the most?