Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A6 news updates

Old 11-30-10, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

sides are way too 'straight' and that interior's trying too hard to look like bmw.

fail
Old 11-30-10, 07:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^When did the bath tub style dash become en vogue? Chevrolet, Jaguar and now Audi are using it, and I've seen it a few other times. I really dislike it, personally.
Old 11-30-10, 07:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fail. I was expecting this to be disappointing, and well, Audi didn't disappoint .

The front and rear look a bit better than the A8, but otherwise the exterior is completely forgettable.

The interior looks almost EXACTLY like a BMW interior. What happened to uniquely Audi interiors? Total disappointment.

Also it would be nice if Audi started using 3-spoke steering wheels.

The E-Class IMO easily blows this away, and the 5 Series looks better as well, although the 5 Series is somewhat bland itself, but less bland that this piece of slab.

Now we have to wait for the next-gen GS to see what it looks like. Lexus definitely has an opportunity to blow away much of the competition in terms of styling if the GS is a knockout.
Old 11-30-10, 07:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Nice Jetta!

Seriously, it seems that Audi has gotten to a point that they are just afraid to ruin a good thing. Now, it's becoming boring and even bland. We can appreciate German style evolution, but it needs to move faster than this.
Old 11-30-10, 08:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I hope that people start making fun of Audis for being VWs more now, as VW/Audi deserve this for such disappointing designs.

Now, anytime an a**hole driver with a new Audi makes a "Lexus is just a Toyota remark", there is now plenty of ammunition to fire back at them .
Old 11-30-10, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Damn it does look like a Jetta there....

Cannot believe they have this many sedans that like the same. While the new BMWs look similar its not this close.

Old 11-30-10, 08:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

With the A6 and A8, I think Audi is going to lose market share and sales in the mid-size and full-size flagship markets. The designs are simply too forgettable.
Old 11-30-10, 08:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^Don't forget A7, which they plan to price to the high heavens but it looks just like the A4/6/8

That said, I agree with you. This gen of E Class has already been setting sales charts on fire and the 5 series is always solid, but Audi really did have a chance to push the envelope here and come up with something great...and they didn't. The 5 Series seems to have moved more towards "luxury" and somewhat away from sport this generation, and the E Class has never been strong in that area either. Not to mention that the new 5 Series weighs as much as an orca expecting triplets, and the obesity has affected handling and performance. It's also a much more tame design than before and some find the E to be rather unattractive.

My point is that Audi could have come through with a dynamic looking drivers car and really caught the other two off guard and finally made the A6 a player in this segment. I don't think this car has the visual kick to make that type of a difference, and I doubt the general public will take much notice even if it drives like an R8 GT. Styling gets people in the showroom...this thing already looks 7 years old.
Old 11-30-10, 09:34 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't mind it. I guess because I really wasn't expecting anything different. To be honest, its more of a change than I expected. Lol. Out of all the current Audi sedans, I do like this the most. I think there is enough difference with the A6 to not confuse it with the A4/8 (although it really does have Jetta rear lights, even the bulb position is exactly the same, lol) where thr A4 and A8 are replicas.

I do get why y'all think its bland. Its a very valid critizism as it is not daring in anyway and really does not look advanced. Its "just good enough" like how a Corolla is just good enough for it class.

I do find the interior to be very well done and inviting, but the 5 series IMO still has the best looking interior in this class.
Old 11-30-10, 10:04 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Well by itself it's a great, simple and elegant design. Great proportions. The lights are simply gorgeous. The problem is that it lives with the A4 and A8 which look almost exactly like it. Of the three sedans, I'd say this A6 has the best proportions and design details. It certainly looks better than the lumpy dumpy A8.

That said it is unfortunate Audi is resorting to BMW's one sausage three lengths strategy. I can't deny that this is a good looking car, just like how the 5er is a good looking car. I just wish the design dept had more creativity.

Also, not really sure how the interior looks anything like a BMW interior... It looks exactly like the A7 interior.
Old 11-30-10, 10:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I was not expecting anything radical from Audi and they delivered again, looks exactly like a car in between a A4 and A8 with nothing to set it apart aside from size. Doubt this new A6 is going to give a big boost to sales unless it is vastly improved dynamically over the current one.It is not too bad though, interior looks very modern BMWish. The new A8 is the biggest disappointment, I have not seen one in person but I still can't get over how ugly and plain the front end of the new A8 is from pics, the eyebrow amber LED treatment makes it look even worse. The previous A8 was just about perfectly styled inside and out.

If you think about it Audi has always had conservative looking vehicles aside from the TT and R8 and people generally liked those conservative designs even if they did not sell in big numbers, so expecting a head turning radical sedan design from Audi is setting yourself up for disappointment. From pics the A7 is just odd and ugly to me with that rear end but I think and hope in person it will look better. Since Audi did not put much effort into the styling with this new generation hopefully they attempted to improve their bottom of the heap reliability ratings/records.
Old 11-30-10, 10:54 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Incredible, I thought those were pics of the current A4. This is just like the Porsche's design philosophy, don't change anything, ever!
Old 11-30-10, 02:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11011302...d/lowphotos#10

The new A6 is gorgeous both in and out.
Audi did a great job.
Old 11-30-10, 02:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Not bad. I like the clean, conservative look. The dash looks very modern and stylish to my eye. But I agree, they need to differentiate better between the other models.
Old 11-30-10, 02:33 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I like it - except for the rear, which is a bit to bland and similar-looking to the A4 and new Jetta. I guess that's my only complaint about this car (from the press photos, perhaps it'll look better in real life).

Given the direction of current Audi design, I wasn't expecting something radical. Audi seems to have taken a more conservative direction in regards to design. Many will appreciate, many won't. Design is subjective after all.

The cabin looks stunning, though. I also like the "boat-like" sweeping design cues beginning in the drivers door and ending in the area of the central air vents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A6 news updates