Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OT: thinking of trading my IS350 and buying a used NSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 10:41 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: thinking of trading my IS350 and buying a used NSX

I know this doesn't go with the IS stuff but I am curious what you guys think about those cars. The engines seem to be great at high mileage. They are limited in quanity so that makes them rare and they are built great I think. What is everyone's take on these cars? I am not going to replace my IS350 either. Although i don't know where to put this car.
Old 01-30-08, 10:59 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One guy sold his year old IS350 and bought a 2002 NSX.

Might try to search the forum.
Old 01-30-08, 11:02 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Time has sort of past them by on the power department but a Honda supercar is a pretty hard prospect to beat, imo. Make sure you are getting one without "issues" and with good maintenance because I hear that fixing things is very pricey.
Old 01-30-08, 11:03 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Great car, past it's prime, but almost magic handling very close to its limits.

Depends on how much money you're spending and what you're going to use it for.

If you're in the lower range (28-35K) and it's going to be a track/toy/weekend cruiser, then I don't think it'd be a bad idea. Although the IS would be faster anyways =P

If you're going for anything higher then that, which means you'd want the 290 hp versions with the fixed headlamps, I'd say save the money and make the run at a Nissan GT-R in a couple of years. I know the NSX is a classic, but why get the original Japanese supercar when you can get the modern-day equivalent for the same money? And there'd be no way the IS could catch this one (not even the IS-F).
Old 01-30-08, 11:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I would get an NSX. But then again, I'm not married and I dont have kids.
Old 01-30-08, 12:36 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

That was one of the cars I was contemplating if someone would ever take over my pos 350.

I'd get one in the 30-35k range, with a CTSC and it would be just a blast to drive. Supercharges on those things are crazy, and the turbo's even more so.

I'd do it if you don't have any family to lug around or its a second car, etc.
Old 01-30-08, 12:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

if you live in nevada, im sure you could get a real cheap one in cali and most likely be able to drive your nsx every day with the weather you have, so that would be a plus. not only that having a NSX would kick ***. sure it may not have 300 hp, but really, if the nsx had enough power back then, it has enough now, and if you buy one, you would have a piece of history, well in my mind you would
Old 01-30-08, 12:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

check out insurance prices first, I hear it isnt cheap. Labor intensive to repair aluminum
Old 01-30-08, 12:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Car!!

go over to NSXPRIME and they have cars for sale and people also post on there ones they find. Car doesnt feel as powerful as it is but the handling is by far better then any car i have driven with no mods at all. i lost mine in a wreck on the xpressway and both the passenger and i walked from the car. saw the car a few years back at the acura dealer where they rebuilt it with a salvage title.

parts are expensive for the car also but there is much demand for the stuff so you will pay. i did the comptech exhaust, test pipes, and headers. they car really opened from this. i did an intake and i think it was more sound then anything.

good luck on your hunt
Old 01-30-08, 12:55 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

NSX are nice....but parts will cost you an arm and a leg at the dealer
Old 01-30-08, 01:10 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The NSX is certainly one of my favorite vehicles I've ever driven, but it's a totally different car than the IS.
Old 01-30-08, 01:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would you trade a new vehicle for an older vehicle?? I don't care what it is, it is a used older car. Keep the IS350.
Old 01-30-08, 01:53 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good comments here. I have considered some of those items. I went to NSXprime as a friend of mine is there. I want to get one as a weekend car, well another weekend car. They are expensive to fix so I need find one that is done up and cleaned up. They seem to be great cars as far as exotics go. There are also very few on the road. I thought about getting an M3, ISF etc... but then thought if I could a used NSX that would be even cooler. They hold their value very well and very few are on the roads these days. Thanks for the input!

Also, what is a good price on those cars? I don't want to overpay on them and some are expensive.

Last edited by SilverBull; 01-30-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 02:52 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never owned an IS350 myslef, but I have owned a 92 NSX. Best car I have ever owned period. It is the only car I regret selling and I sold it to my brother, so its not like it is out of the family. B uild quality is top notch. It is one of the most reliable cars on the road. I also own an LS400 so I know reliability. The NSX engine is not bullet proof like the LS V8, but if maintained and preventative maintenance done on known weak areas (Like the harmonic balancer may go out causing massive damage after high mileage or lots of track use) or you get a coolant leak from the plastic coolant tank your are good to go. There are NSXs with 300K miles on them with no rebuild.

Maintenance on an NSX is only a little higher than other V6 Acura cars. I would say it is on par with new Lexus cars. Yes, it really isn't that expensive to do the routine maintenance on the NSX. Most parts are about on par with Lexus parts and sometime even cheaper if you can believe that. IMHO, Lexus parts are expensive, so if you can afford to maintain a Lexus you can afford to maintain an NSX. However, it will get real expensive if you need a major part replaced like the aluminum suspension, aluminum body panels (A co worker backed into my front fender and aluminum fenders are non repairable. One front fender cost $1200). The rear 1/4 panels are removable as well so it makes replacement easy, but those cost about $3K each. So don't get into accidents. And don't blow the motor.

Insurance depending on the year is pretty cheap. Since mine was a 92 model year it is considered pretty old, so full coverage (The same as my 04 RX300 and other cars at the time) was only about $1200 a year though State Farm. My Lexus RX330 at the time was about $1400 a year, and I paid monthly so the NSX was only about $12 more a month than a 94 Civic EX Coupe I had. Now, the newer 2002 NSX still have a little higher insurance, but you'd probably be surprised that it will be about the same if not cheaper than a new Lexus.

I daily drove mine for a full year. I was married and had a new born at the time. It is not a big deal if you don't need to haul passengers or a lot of cargo. There is a trunk, so you can hold a set of golf clubs and a little more. When I went to car shows I would stuff the trunk with a floor jack, all my tools and detailing stuff for the show. It all fit.

Depending on where you live attention may be a problem I sometimes had people take pictures of the car while I'm driving, or expect a few people to pace you to take a look, but for the most part few people wanted to race, and most people just went about their day and didn't bother you. I received ZERO damage from daily parking. I used to take the car shopping, to golf, or just wherever. Fortunately for me nobody ever ding it or vandalized it. I however never took up two parking spaces to I suggest you don't do that.

Over all, I sold my NSX late 2006 to my brother and every day it is the one car that I miss and have plans to buy another one. The 91-96 model years use the 3.0 motor and 5-Speed and the IS350 is probably a little faster. 0-60 in the 5.5 range is typical of those years. The 97+ is at least the same as the IS350 as it uses the 3.2L motor and 6-Speed, and typical 0-60s are in the 12.8-13.0 range. The NSX does trap a little higher in the 1/4 mile as these mid engine cars are tricky to launch so you loose time at the start. Mid engine cars are a blast to drive. It is a unique driving experience as the weight of the car shifts differently than normal cars. I also own a past BMW E36 and currently a E46 with sports package. People talk about the steering feel of a BMW and I would agree. The NSX steering feel and feedback make my BMW feel like a boat. You are that connected to the road in the NSX. It has a manual steering rack from 91-94, but I can still one hand steer in the parking lot and I'm a small guy at 5'4". Steering response is telepathic.

Anyway, Gordon Murray The designer of the McLaren F1 Road car has nothing but praise for the NSX. He wanted Honda to build the engine, but Honda turned him down so he used the Mercedes. He used a lot of the suspension design from the NSX. If you search NSX Prime which i suggest any NSX owner or fan to do, you will find a topic about many of Gordon Murray's interviews and comments about the NSX. He is very candid about his love for the NSX and how he used it as inspiration for the McLaren F1 Super car. If a guy like the Gordon Murray can't convince you how good the NSX is nobody can.
Old 01-30-08, 02:59 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverBull

Also, what is a good price on those cars? I don't want to overpay on them and some are expensive.
KBB.Com is worthless for the NSX. You will never find a good NSX for the prices they list. They are way off for the true market value of the NSX. I bought my 92 NSX for $32K in 2003. I sold it to my brother for a smoking deal at $25K at the end of 2006. I could have easily sold it on the open market at that time for at least $32K stock, or $35k with my modifications. I had nearly 90K miles on it. If you find a 91-93 NSX selling for under $25K, take a real serious look at the over all condition as that would be cheap IMHO. If you see any selling for the low $20K range or below, run away as it probably is trash. 97+ NSX can be had for as low as mid $30K range with high miles, but that is a little rare. Most good examples still sell over $40K. The NSX has sort of hit a bottom and as has actually appreciated slightly. Even KBB.com has had an increase in price a few years back. Anyway, as all the years NSX come down in price, they are starting to hit a bottom. The 3.0 NA1 NSXs are hovering around the $30K mark, while the early NA2 (97-99) are hovering around the upper $30K mark, but should IMHO settle around the mid $30K range. The 2002+ are still above $50K and really clean low miles ones are still selling in the high $50- low $60K range.

Quick Reply: OT: thinking of trading my IS350 and buying a used NSX