Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree

Old 01-27-08, 11:36 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No doubt they may not have thought their kids would drive on a runway but Mike, be real here... if you had this kind of M5 when you were 19 do you think you would have wrecked it? I'm pretty sure I would have.
Got to agree with you. Teenagers too often have a mentality of invincibility, which of course can lead to reckless driving.

A high performance car plus a teenager is a recipe for disaster.
Old 01-28-08, 12:36 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Got to agree with you. Teenagers too often have a mentality of invincibility, which of course can lead to reckless driving.

A high performance car plus a teenager is a recipe for disaster.

plus booze ..........

terribly sad for the families.
Old 01-28-08, 05:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

even if i was rich id never buy a fast car for an inexperienced driver. Thats like saying here son play with this AK47 with little education on how to handle a gun. Its a death wish
Old 01-28-08, 06:02 AM
LexFather

No doubt they may not have thought their kids would drive on a runway but Mike, be real here... if you had this kind of M5 when you were 19 do you think you would have wrecked it? I'm pretty sure I would have.
Not sure really, even at that age, the thought of my parents WRATH would have kept me somewhat sane. Would there be a chance, yes.

Old 01-28-08, 07:34 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is insane ... I can't even begin to imagine what was going through those kids heads as they saw their car fly over the edge of the runway ... What makes it worse, I'm 19 turning 20 in 2 months and literally ALL of my friends race almost every night ...
Old 01-28-08, 08:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure really, even at that age, the thought of my parents WRATH would have kept me somewhat sane. Would there be a chance, yes.
I didn't have a fast car when I first started driving, but my parent's wrath kept me in check too When they said "you get a ticket and the car is gone" they meant it. Thanks to them I still cruise control it like an old man in the slow lane...well most of the time
Old 01-28-08, 08:35 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I didn't have a fast car when I first started driving, but my parent's wrath kept me in check too When they said "you get a ticket and the car is gone" they meant it. Thanks to them I still cruise control it like an old man in the slow lane...well most of the time
The first car my parents gave me was an old '94 ES300 and there was NO WAY i could go fast in that thing unless I had like 2 miles of open road to get up to speed ... Now my GS430 is a different story, but I bought this myself so parents really can't say anything anymore, so I've had to learn on my own to keep my urges to race down. I pay everything on my own, and $300 tickets don't help pay my bills lol, so that kinda keeps me in check, although sometimes I just can't help but slam on the pedal
Old 01-28-08, 09:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

While the driver was reckless, I have to say the more reckless party was the PARENTS. Who in their right mind gives a 19 yr old a new 500HP M5?
Rich careless parents who don't spend enough time with their kids who shower them with $$$ material objects to replace what they call "LOVE"

I'm sure you knew the answer that Bit but that was to lay it out there for others to think about.

Kids will never learn or appreciate what they have if it's handed to them.
Old 01-28-08, 11:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wrongful death lawsuits are going to fly bigtime, going to get even uglier
Old 01-28-08, 11:13 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Hogan Knows Best

I heard he was racing Nick Hogan's Supra who lives nearby.

Old 01-28-08, 11:14 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
I heard he was racing Nick Hogan's Supra who lives nearby.

Hey at least they kept it off the public streets. Pretty controlled, deseted area, too bad they were too stupid to know the end of the runway.
Old 01-28-08, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
The entire strip can be used for take-offs, but see those white arrows pointing to the thick white bars and numbers? That indicates what is called a displaced threshold...the planes's wheels aren't allowed to touch down on the pavement, during the daytime, short of that point. At night (if the runway has lights), the touchdown point is marked by green lights. The "36" and "18" numbers on each end show the magnetic heading of the runway (180-360), plus or minus 5 degrees. The thick white bars on the threshold indicate that the runway is equipped for instrument operations in bad weather......which is not surprising, considering the money John Travolta has.
Old 01-28-08, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Thanks mmarshall. And those arrows support what I said earlier that the deceased driver was also going in the WRONG direction on the runway which is why a plane is never likely to be anywhere near the house at 'this' end.
Old 01-28-08, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks mmarshall. And those arrows support what I said earlier that the deceased driver was also going in the WRONG direction on the runway which is why a plane is never likely to be anywhere near the house at 'this' end.
For aircraft, either end of the runway can be used for take-offs or landings, depending on the wind direction and speed. In most cases, as a pilot, you want as much of a headwind as possible to slow down your relative speed over the ground and shorten take-off and landing distances. Those arrows have nothing to do with which end of the runway you HAVE to use....that depends on the wind. The arrows and the displaced thresholds only show where your wheels have to touch down IF you approach from that direction....and they do not apply to take-offs. (I know it is confusing until you learn it as a pilot or make airport diagrams...before I retired, when I worked for the FAA, that was one of the things I did every day on airport diagrams).

Now, as far as cars go, runway markings mean nothing...they are meant for aircraft, not cars. The problem with that car.....and the moron driving it...was clearly excessive speed, regardless of the direction on the runway he was traveling. For cars, on the runway, as long as there is no aircraft approaching from that direction and the runway is clear, there is no such thing as a "wrong" direction.
Old 01-28-08, 02:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Are those arrows for landing or take off or both ?
There are arrows pointing to the opposite direction though on the airstrip at the other end if you look at the aerial phots whoster posted earlier :

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=17&om=0

just move the view further down, & you'll see arrows pointing the opposite direction on the other end of the airstrip. Can you go both ways, whether you are landing or taking off ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree