Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

go build your own 135i at BMWUSA.COM...over $42k with prem + sports pkg and NO NAV

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 05:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You guys crack me up Enthusiasts who can afford it, and want the BMW experience, will buy them. To compare this car with the Mazda 3's and Hyundai's is laughable. You guys talk about build quality...Take a look here and tell me if Mazda and others are this meticulous. customer.http://youtube.com/watch?v=yP5gdHQALP4

6 piston calipers up front (not 4 pot), proven chassis, engines, ability to have one built to your liking, all speaks volumes.. The reiteration of the BMW 2002 is coming soon.

Question: Can any of the other cars mentioned be built to your liking? Any Lexus models in the mix??
Can the "high horse" mentality. BMW offers the lowest lease rates and highest incentives. They are not exactly hard to get.

Can the "Enthusiast" crap, like only "Enthusiasts" will buy this car. I assure you most will be new age "yuppies" who want the badge and have no idea what a 2002 is, let alone 6 piston caliper (finally they offer good brakes).

A 3300 lbs car is NOT the reiteration of the 2002. That is what marketing wants you to believe.

Having a Lexus built to your liking has NOTHING to do with this topic. We are talking about building a 135.

If you READ euro reviews, you would see the 135 is compared to Hot hatches like the Mazda 3 and GTi/R32 etc.

Old 01-26-08, 05:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Can the "high horse" mentality. BMW offers the lowest lease rates and highest incentives. They are not exactly hard to get.

Can the "Enthusiast" crap, like only "Enthusiasts" will buy this car. I assure you most will be new age "yuppies" who want the badge and have no idea what a 2002 is, let alone 6 piston caliper (finally they offer good brakes).

A 3300 lbs car is NOT the reiteration of the 2002. That is what marketing wants you to believe.

Having a Lexus built to your liking has NOTHING to do with this topic. We are talking about building a 135.

If you READ euro reviews, you would see the 135 is compared to Hot hatches like the Mazda 3 and GTi/R32 etc.
Sorry I drive cars not read about them.
Old 01-26-08, 05:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the "high horse mentality" Go back to page 1 of this thread. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I worked very hard for mine.
Old 01-26-08, 05:17 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> 40K for a 135? I don't think so. Not exactly a bang for the buck.
Old 01-26-08, 06:14 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't pay $15K for it. I'm not kidding either.

I think it is hideous and it will probably spend most of it's time in the shop so any supposed driving enjoyment would be limited.
Old 01-26-08, 06:24 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I think it would be a very very sweet car to drive. It's just too bad that the car is hideous.
Old 01-26-08, 06:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what would make me choose this car over a STi/EvoX besides the badge. Cheaper to acquire, mod, and maintain. I wouldnt complain so bad about the 1 if it didnt look so econoboxy. But since it does I wouldnt want to be caught dead saying I spent 40k+ for this
Old 01-26-08, 06:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I think it would be a very very sweet car to drive. It's just too bad that the car is hideous.
I agree, no thanks for me ...
Old 01-26-08, 08:43 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Over $40k for a 1 series??? I thought the whole point of it was to lower prices and compete with other compact-sized cars?
Old 01-26-08, 09:01 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I drive cars not read about them.
We can tell.
Old 01-26-08, 09:22 AM
Koma

You guys crack me up Enthusiasts who can afford it, and want the BMW experience, will buy them. To compare this car with the Mazda 3's and Hyundai's is laughable. You guys talk about build quality...Take a look here and tell me if Mazda and others are this meticulous in build. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yP5gdHQALP4

6 piston calipers up front (not 4 pot), proven chassis, engines, ability to have one built to your liking, all speaks volumes.. The reincarnation of the BMW 2002 is coming soon.

Question: Can any of the other cars mentioned be built to your liking? Any Lexus models in the mix??
Well would you personally buy this over a 335 though? For a few grand more you can have a much more comfortable, much better looking (IMO) and much more luxurious car. The pricing is what gets me the most. The looks are based upon opinion so I can't use that as defense.
Old 01-26-08, 09:27 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

id just get a used 535 or a new 328 or Slightly used 330 i, so many other better options for the price, hell i could get a used 7 series
Old 01-26-08, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
> 40K for a 135? I don't think so. Not exactly a bang for the buck.
That's crazy pricing-not the so-called econopricing either.
Again, with a couple more, the 335i is the smarter and better buy

They cheapened the looks but not the price
Old 01-26-08, 10:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with everyone here except DASHOCKER, and I think I was actually one of the first people on CL to mention what a joke this car was. Glad that everyone else is starting to recognize this.

IMO, this car is two things for BMW. 1) a necessary move to work on their CAFE standard as a brand and 2) an experiment to see how much money someone will blow on a car that has a BMW roundel on the hood.

The pricing for this car is absolutely FOOLISH and there is no way around it. The base price for a 135i is within $600 of an IS350! Add leather and metallic paint (both of which come standard on the Lexus) and you're at $900 more than the IS. After that the Lexus still holds almost a $2k price advantage when they are optioned similarly and the IS is a different class of car and still offers some features that the 135i doesn't. It's also a sedan which is more usable.

My main issue with this car is that I can get an IS 350 for the same price, or a 270HP Camry with all the same luxury and convenience features for $10-15K less. Yeah the Camry doesn't drive as well but its also about TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS cheaper and offers the exact same features.

I just built a 135i with the Premium and Sports package, an automatic, nav, and upgraded sound and it costs $46,200. This is an absolute laughing matter and again, these are all features that you can get in a Camry or Accord and pay $12K less. Yes it's a BMW and yes it will drive well, but there is even a price on that. I make the CamCord comparison because I just think it's so outlandish for BMW to charge so much for this car and so much for these options when the most common cars in America offer all the same options with more space, greater reliability and efficiency for about 2/3 of the price.

This car is beyond foolish. If it was priced from about $23K-$32K then you might have a bargain, but not at this price point. Not even CLOSE.

Tell me which interior looks befitting of a $40,000 car...

Old 01-26-08, 10:06 AM
dr Lu
Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I wouldn't pay $15K for it. I'm not kidding either.

I think it is hideous and it will probably spend most of it's time in the shop so any supposed driving enjoyment would be limited.
THANK you..someone with some sense. When it first came out..i actually thought it was gonna be in the 20-25K range....42K?? thats a joke...and yes the 335 coupe is definately worth the upgrade

Dashocker..i dono what ur smoking...but it must be damn good

Quick Reply: go build your own 135i at BMWUSA.COM...over $42k with prem + sports pkg and NO NAV