Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura boasts 2010 NSX will be faster than Nissan GT-R (Page 12)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 05:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS69
Fukui Tells Honda R&D: NSX Must be Faster Around the Nurburgring Than the GT-R

NÜRBURG, Germany — The latest prototype of the 2011 Acura NSX has hit the Nürburgring, and according to our sources in Japan, it has a very specific goal. We're told that Takeo Fukui, CEO of Honda, has tasked his R&D team with building an NSX that's faster around the Nürburgring than both the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A.

It's a tall order, and one that Honda hopes it can achieve through the use of a 5.5-liter V10 expected to make 550 horses, with a torque peak expected to top 420 pound-feet. The engine is essentially a slightly larger version of the V8 that Honda will use for the next-generation, rear-wheel-drive RL sedan, and it will use cylinder deactivation under light loads for maximum efficiency. Additional gains will come from the use of an eight-speed, paddle-shifted automatic.

Getting the power to the ground will be a modified version of Honda's Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) system. Packaging could be tight, however, as this NSX will place its V10 up front. A combination of steel and aluminum will be used for the chassis that will form the basis of this 2+2 sports car.

What this means to you: The Acura NSX is less than two years away, and it's aiming to reclaim its title as Japan's ultimate supercar. — Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor

Ahhhh, it was only a matter of time before they made their usual Talk the Talk useless press release.

Just BRING IT. Lexus and Nissan have been clocked at the Green Hell. Acura is making 201hp TSXs....

Old 06-17-08, 05:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I agree with you.

When the NSX came out in the early 90's, it was futuristic and fresh.

Now, it doesn't look different than the next Hyundai Tiburon concept...

i thought that too

this can only be a bmw 6-series competitor at best

$60000 tops

Last edited by dunnojack; 06-17-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 05:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Well don't look at this. I still can't believe they had the gall to bring this as a concept design. Its disgusting and hurt their image. That let me know they have lost their way.

looks like a pt cruiser and a rhino had some hot animal sex
Old 06-17-08, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Well the NSX owners hate it again
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106803
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106808

They think it looks like a 350Z, CRX, Crossfire, Porsche 968 or a turd

Originally Posted by Silver F16
When one puts camouflage over the turd, it looks like camouflaged turd.

Old 06-17-08, 06:45 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the concept look better than the crappy AASCC that they brought out a few years ago, but this looks like nothing special. All it does is look like any other modern day coupe. Not offensive, but nothing spectacular. I still really don't understand Honda's fascination with having to keep the V10 engine up front.
Old 06-17-08, 07:30 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the NSX owners hate it again
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106803
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106808

They think it looks like a 350Z, CRX, Crossfire, Porsche 968 or a turd
The NSX guys will hate it until it comes with an engine behind them.

Seriously I think it looks like a Saturn Corvette. It doesn't have any Acura design language in it at all except those exhaust tips which are fugly. Even the top TL-S changed it's exhaust design (which I think looks much better with the oval overlapped tips and is their best model). I want to see this thing in the flesh before I make judgement on anything else but from these photos it doesn't look like an Acura.
Old 06-17-08, 08:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the vehicle in the pics is some sort of sub-NSX coupe, then I have no problem with it. Then the conventional shape of the car is not so bad if the car will be in the 60K range. But such a shape is too derivative to be the next NSX.

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think the LFA looks that exotic especially from several angles of the show cars I have seen and especially after seeing that convertable version but I really do like the design which has sort of an old school look like the last Supra's shape but lower and wider and more aggressive. What is exotic about the LF-A's mechanical layout compared to the NSX replacement? They are both front engined v10 sports GT cars built off of rwd platforms and will have roughly the same power and performance. The corvette has a rear mounted transmission so that in of itself does not make it or the LFA an exotic. The NSX replacement does appear to have a somewhat similar shape to the LFA but seems a little shorter. I hope neither of these cars cost over 130K and will really be dissapointed if they are priced near or over 200K like some sources seem to report as they will be way overpriced and only the rich will be able to afford them and they will sell in extremely small numbers and not be attainable to the vast majority of enthusiasts, even fairly well off ones who could afford 911s and Audi R8s.
The LF-A concepts have been smash hits at autoshows being deemed exotics, so most of the public disagrees with your opinion.

What makes the LF-A exotic exterior-wise is the side and rear air intakes, as well as the radical tail lights, the various diffusers on the car, and the triangular exhaust as well as the rear-mounted radiators. Mechanically speaking, the LF-A is exotic because it has not only a rear-mounted transmission, but rear-mounted radiators and also extensive use is made of carbon fiber. How many exotic or supercars have had rear-mounted radiators? Fact is it's a very unusual mechanical layout, and that makes the car an exotic. There is also the fact the the gearbox looks to be F1-derived.

Originally Posted by GS69
Fukui Tells Honda R&D: NSX Must be Faster Around the Nurburgring Than the GT-R

NÜRBURG, Germany — The latest prototype of the 2011 Acura NSX has hit the Nürburgring, and according to our sources in Japan, it has a very specific goal. We're told that Takeo Fukui, CEO of Honda, has tasked his R&D team with building an NSX that's faster around the Nürburgring than both the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A.

It's a tall order, and one that Honda hopes it can achieve through the use of a 5.5-liter V10 expected to make 550 horses, with a torque peak expected to top 420 pound-feet. The engine is essentially a slightly larger version of the V8 that Honda will use for the next-generation, rear-wheel-drive RL sedan, and it will use cylinder deactivation under light loads for maximum efficiency. Additional gains will come from the use of an eight-speed, paddle-shifted automatic.

Getting the power to the ground will be a modified version of Honda's Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) system. Packaging could be tight, however, as this NSX will place its V10 up front. A combination of steel and aluminum will be used for the chassis that will form the basis of this 2+2 sports car.

What this means to you: The Acura NSX is less than two years away, and it's aiming to reclaim its title as Japan's ultimate supercar. — Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor

Typical news regarding Acura If this is really true, then it's dissapointing the Fukui himself is that arrogant. How can the R&D team possibly make the new NSX faster than the LF-A when the LF-A has not come out yet, and they don't know how fast the LF-A will be? Fact is, nobody outside of Toyota knows how fast the LF-A REALLY is, not Nissan and certainly not Honda.

So for it's flagship sports exotic Acura will use an 8 speed auto? Acura doesn't even have a 6-speed auto yet, so they will jump from a 5 speed to an 8 speed auto? There has been zero news about Honda developing any sort of 8 speed. The news has been regarding Honda developing a 6 speed auto.
Old 06-17-08, 08:29 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is Acura becoming a boy among men?

It's too bad since Honda took a pioneering lead in selling Japanese cars overseas, but now can't even follow up on a car they built almost two decades ago.
Old 06-17-08, 08:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Boo to 8spd tranny. We want at least a 6spd option for those who wants to row their gears. I'll take 0.3 seconds less on the quarter mile as long as I can be more involved
Old 06-17-08, 10:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Damn, this is the second car with IS-F exhaust pipes. Very interesting.

Insane. It really does look like a Tiburon. What a shame.
Old 06-17-08, 10:04 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Boo to 8spd tranny. We want at least a 6spd option for those who wants to row their gears. I'll take 0.3 seconds less on the quarter mile as long as I can be more involved

True. Either put a real manual 6-Speed in there or at the very least a DSG type tranny. People fail to realize that even if a DSG or todays automatics may shift faster than a real traditional manual, part of the fun of owning a manual sports car is shifting your own gears, pulling off heal to toe shifts, rev matching yourself. You can't do any of those things with an automatic. It's not always about the very last tenth of a second unless you are talking about a pure race car. It's about the total driving experience.
Old 06-17-08, 10:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone see a little F430 in the headlights???

Hmm.. stacked exhausts... has Lexus started another trend???
Old 06-18-08, 01:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you don't think this looks exotic, then why should anyone read past that first part of your post.

This is not exotic? If Acura had a badge on it, I'm sorry but you would be head over heels for it. The LF-A doesn't look like anything we have seen thus far and nothing currently on the road.

I doubt the the car in this pic is shorter than a LF-A b/c the LF-A is already shorter than a 911.

Again you continue to bunch Acura and Lexus together when Lexus has proven time and time again people BUY truly expensive Lexus and Acura CANNOT sell anything outside the MDX over 40k.
I don't think the LFA looks that exotic, that does not mean I don't really like the design just like I loved the Supra design but I don't think it looks like an exotic like an NSX. The convertable LFA looks sort of like a SC replacement to me then a super high priced exotic. From many angles the LFA looks like a typical front engined GT car too(I can't post the pictures I wanted to because it won't let me and says they are too big so I don't feel spending a bunch of time resizing them to postage stamp sizes so I can post them) but you can look at the pictures of the concepts and see where it does not necessarily have exotic looks although it does look good and it is not finished yet.

I am not a Acura fanboy or any car maker fanboy so the badge means little to me what car it is on. I have said I like the LFA and think it is a very nice looking design(aside from that convertable) and I am glad it has an old school look instead of being too radical. If it had an Acura badge I would say the same thing about it and would say it is a good looking GT car but not as good looking or exotic as the NSX. I can tell you right now with certainty that the NSX replacement is not going to be as good looking or exotic as the original to me, it has too much too live up to and from what I am seeing it does not cut it. That does not mean it can't be a great looking car in of itself and I am sure it will be very impressive, it is just not going to be as focused,pure,and exotic as the original NSX. There is still too much camo and body cladding to tell what exactly it will look like and if it will be good or bad looking.

I have really stopped comparing the new NSX "replacement" or new Acura sports car with the original NSX as those two cars are completely different. One was an mid engined exotic meant to primarily take on mid engined Ferraris and was legendary while this new car is a front engined GT/sports car that is going to be going after a totally different market like Aston Martin, front engined ferraris, LFA, Masserati coupe, etc. This NSX "replacement" is a totally different car and is not going to satisfy most NSX enthusiasts. Of course NSX enthusiasts are not going to like it because they will never like it unless it is mid engined. I am dissapointed too but that was Acuras decision and it is a totally different type of car. If Acura does a mid engine car then that will be a true NSX successor and maybe they will one day. Until then if you want an Acura sports car this is going to be it. If people stop just comparing it to the last NSX and see at as a new totally different car then I think it will be received better.

With your whole Acura can't sell cars over 40K except for the MDX you have to consider that Acura only has 1 car over 40K now which is the RL and only had two cars over 40K in the past the NSX and Legend. You are saying they can't sell but they have never tried to play in the large expensive lux sedan/coupe market yet. If Acura did want to play in that market and built larger more expensive v8 vehicles they would sell well. You can't say they can't sell cars in that price range when the cars did not really exist in the Acura lineup in that price range aside from a low volume very expensive mid engined exotic and one sedan. The last Legend sold decently and the current RL does not sell in large numbers but there are people buying it and it does have a small market. I see new RLs on the road everyday so it does have its market although it is not selling in impressive numbers. Most of its competition has been around much longer, is more established, has had many more previous owners, and come in a variety of of configurations where the RL does not have any of those advantages.

When Acura builds and sells the upcoming rwd v8 rl/legend at 50K or over as well as the NSX replacement and a possible larger S class/LS competitor, 60K Corvette competitor and if they all fail then you can more realistically say Acura can't sell cars over 40K although many people pay well over 40K for Acuras as they are currently doing with the MDX.

With the whole 8 speed auto thing from that Acura representative I think it is pointless and overkill with using 8 speed auto's. It does not impress me that Acura is coming out with a 8 speed auto or even a 10 speed auto. I think 7 speeds is the most you need and 6 speeds are just fine, I would be more impressed with a well done DSG type transmission then some multi speed auto. Many people/reviews seem to think the 8 speed in the LS and GS460 is overkill and not necessary and would rather have less gears and it would be fine with a 6 or 7 speed.
Old 06-18-08, 04:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

i think the LFA looks as exotic as an aston martin.
the aston is just a wave shape.
Old 06-18-08, 05:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
True. Either put a real manual 6-Speed in there or at the very least a DSG type tranny. People fail to realize that even if a DSG or todays automatics may shift faster than a real traditional manual, part of the fun of owning a manual sports car is shifting your own gears, pulling off heal to toe shifts, rev matching yourself. You can't do any of those things with an automatic. It's not always about the very last tenth of a second unless you are talking about a pure race car. It's about the total driving experience.
I like to pretend I'm Michael Schumacher, flappy paddles are fine for me unless i'm driving a small roadster or 4 cylinder weekend toy.

Quick Reply: Acura boasts 2010 NSX will be faster than Nissan GT-R (Page 12)